Anthony Schlegel Tribute Thread

Maxman

I thinks all these cuts are just speculation

WE'll know for sure tonight

I hope Schlegel makes the team

They certainly haven't been officially announced yet. But we have it on good authority that Schlegel did not make the final cut. I got a call earlier today from a guy at the hunting club and he confirmed that it didn't look good. He said Anthony was coming home.

At any rate we are getting a pig roast together. It is in the planning stages right now, once the details are known I will post them here.

Thanks.

I thinks all these cuts are just speculation

WE'll know for sure tonight

I hope Schlegel makes the team

Which LB do you think should be cut instead? It looks like they will be keeping Barton, Vilma, Hobson, Brian Thomas, Kassell, Bowens, Spencer and Harris.

Which LB do you think should be cut instead? It looks like they will be keeping Barton, Vilma, Hobson, Brian Thomas, Kassell, Bowens, Spencer and Harris.

Bait taken.

Call me crazy, but I guess I think the Jets should have cut Kassell instead. I know you guys have a good time giving Schlegel ****e about Boar Hunting, a pass interference penalty in his second preseason game, and making the right play on an onside kick in Green Bay, but can you seriously defend keeping Kassell?

Lets see:

Kassell was penalized for holding this season on an extra point.

Kassell allowed himself to be hit by the ball on a kick off last season resulting in a turnover.

Kassell got juked out of his socks by a back on a screen play against Chicago that ended up going for like 60 yds.

Kassell bit on a run fake and then got burned for the go ahead touchdown in the playoff loss to New England.

And we're talking about the back up position to Jonathan Vilma. How many defensive snaps did Vilma miss last season? Oh yeah, none. Barring injury how many will he miss this season? None.

I dont know if Kassell has pictures of Mangini dressed like the Indian from the Village People, but he must have something on him because for the life of me I dont understand keeping this guy and cutting Schlegel without at least seeing what Schlegel can do at linebacker in an actual game.

The Jets have in effect sold a stock they paid a lot of money for after the first dip in the market without waiting to see if it would actually pay off. They have now truly wasted that 3rd round 06 pick.

Bait taken.

Call me crazy, but I guess I think the Jets should have cut Kassell instead. I know you guys have a good time giving Schlegel ****e about Boar Hunting, a pass interference penalty in his second preseason game, and making the right play on an onside kick in Green Bay, but can you seriously defend keeping Kassell?

Lets see:

Kassell allowed himself to be hit by the ball on a kick off last season resulting in a turnover.

Kassell got juked out of his socks by a back on a screen play against Chicago that ended up going for like 60 yds.

Kassell bit on a run fake and then got burned for the go ahead touchdown in the playoff loss to New England.

And we're talking about the back up position to Jonathan Vilma. How many defensive snaps did Vilma miss last season? Oh yeah, none. Barring injury how many will he miss this season? None.

I dont know if Kassell has pictures of Mangini dressed like the Indian from the Village People, but he must have something on him because for the life of me I dont understand keeping this guy and cutting Schlegel without at least seeing what Schlegel can do at linebacker in an actual game.

The Jets have in effect sold a stock they paid a lot of money for after the first dip in the market without waiting to see if it would actually pay off. They have now truly wasted that 3rd round 06 pick.

Sorry about your boy, Gibbon. I know I was p1ssed last year when McClover was cut on the last day.

I mentioned last night i thought kassel and Schlegal were interchangeable and very close to each other in production.

I am thinking that after seeing 56 in another tc, the CS concluded that they would be better off with him on the PS squad again, so there is some hope for that for you.

Bait taken.

Lets see:

Dude, he sucks.

This coaching staff has no qualms about keeping, playing, and even starting guys before they're truly ready. Schlegel couldn't even make the team as a regular special teams player. Nor as a backup in a 3-4 defense where his lack of speed would be minimized.

The thing I like about this is:

Schlegel was taking up a roster spot (at ILB or another position) from someone else who either:

-has more experience & for spot-duty would - theoretically - be less of a liability

-may not be much right now but has big upside

If he was a UDFA there wouldn't be any controversy with keeping him other than the controversial move of failing to cut this non-contributor earlier.

Schlegel was not going to be a contributor here & the only reason - ONLY REASON - to keep him on the roster is b/c we drafted him on day one last year.

Given that, I think it's a message thing as much as anything. Even if we drafted you on day one just last year, you are not assured of a roster spot on this team.

Anyone else still excited we took this limited-upside, boar-hunting college captain over talented NFL-caliber prospects with major upside like Max Jean-Gilles or Gabe Watson or Ko Simpson or Chris Gocong or a bunch of other players mentioned here prior to draft day '06?

With the exception of Mangold & Leon (and possibly Clemens if he ever sees the field), I'm liking our 2006 draft less & less. Statrting with that overrated, playing-like-a-bust Ferguson. Playes with round 1 (or near-round-1) grades slipping into the 4th round & we take a bunch of projects. You do that crap in bad drafts, not stacked ones.

With the exception of Mangold & Leon (and possibly Clemens if he ever sees the field), I'm liking our 2006 draft less & less. Starting with that overrated, playing-like-a-bust Ferguson. Playes with round 1 (or near-round-1) grades slipping into the 4th round & we take a bunch of projects. You do that crap in bad drafts, not stacked ones.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but I would add E.Smith to the good list IF he can stay healthy.

Dude, he sucks.

This coaching staff has no qualms about keeping, playing, and even starting guys before they're truly ready. Schlegel couldn't even make the team as a regular special teams player. Nor as a backup in a 3-4 defense where his lack of speed would be minimized.

The thing I like about this is:

Schlegel was taking up a roster spot (at ILB or another position) from someone else who either:

-has more experience & for spot-duty would - theoretically - be less of a liability

-may not be much right now but has big upside

If he was a UDFA there wouldn't be any controversy with keeping him other than the controversial move of failing to cut this non-contributor earlier.

Schlegel was not going to be a contributor here & the only reason - ONLY REASON - to keep him on the roster is b/c we drafted him on day one last year.

Given that, I think it's a message thing as much as anything. Even if we drafted you on day one just last year, you are not assured of a roster spot on this team.

Anyone else still excited we took this limited-upside, boar-hunting college captain over talented NFL-caliber prospects with major upside like Max Jean-Gilles or Gabe Watson or Ko Simpson or Chris Gocong or a bunch of other players mentioned here prior to draft day '06?

With the exception of Mangold & Leon (and possibly Clemens if he ever sees the field), I'm liking our 2006 draft less & less. Statrting with that overrated, playing-like-a-bust Ferguson. Playes with round 1 (or near-round-1) grades slipping into the 4th round & we take a bunch of projects. You do that crap in bad drafts, not stacked ones.

Uhh . . . do you watch games or just spew the same crap from preseason to preseason.

MJ Giles got used and abused by our 2nd and 3rd team D line on Thursday (And we're not noted for having a particularly great set of 1st stringers). Chris Gocong, by all accounts is struggling making the transition to OLB. Gabe Watson had a hard time seeing the field for one of the leagues crappiest defenses last season and had to lose about half his body weight to stay in the fight for playing time this season. Ko Simpson was a solid player.

At least point out that the Jets could have picked Jahri Evans who started every game for the Saints last season. Not Giles, Gocong, or Watson who have proven nothing.

Here's what bothers me about your arguments against Schlegel. For the most part they are based on the fact that you thought he was drafted to early. I can (now) accept that. I agree that he was drafted too early for a guy the Jets apparently had no intention of ever playing. I mean if they just wanted to take an LB to sit on the bench they could have waited and taken any number of guys on the second day. Why pick him and then not play him? But this really has nothing to do with his ability to play football. You think he sucks primarily because you think the Jets drafted him too high. If he had been a 5th round pick, you and most of the other monkeys on this board, wouldnt have batted and eye and been willing to give him a chance. This is of course stupid. Its not Schlegel's fault if the Jets picked him too early. Its Mangini/Tannenbaums fault for picking him there and then immediatly acting like they were ashamed of the pick.

When Schlegel has gotten on the field he has proven the following:

1. He understands this defense.

2. He is incredibly instinctive, quick to read, quick to attack the LOS, and quick to find the ball carrier.

3. He is effective at stopping the run -- look at the yds per carry in any preseason game in which he has played and you'll see that the opponents yds per carry actually go down when Schlegel is in.

4. He is a punishing tackler and is physical enough to take on lead blockers and Olinemen.

5. His pass coverage with the exception of two plays against Washington in his first preseason game has been above average.

His only mistakes have come as a result of being overly aggressive.

Mangini's decision to cut him is, to me an indication, that he is happy with the passive, bend dont break defense, the Jets put on the field last year and BTW that the Pats put on the field when he was DC and they didnt go to the Super Bowl. Its the kind of defense that is effective against bad teams, but cant stop good teams when it counts (hmm sounds like last years D). Its the kind of defense that focuses most of its attention of stopping the pass first and gets eaten up by good running teams. Can you honestly say that you were happy with that D? Do you honestly think that David Harris alone (assuming he is the player in the regular season he has appeared to be in the preseason) is enough to turn around the run D?

Agree as well. The '06 draft is only 1 year old, but the only no-brainer was taking Mangold once we'd released Mawae. The rest were more judgment calls.

I like (LIKE, not LOVE) Clemens from what little I've seen, but I still don't get the logic with taking a QB that high (2nd round) when there were premiere talents within our reach like Cutler or Leinart & plenty of OT's in that draft. That was what confused me. I can see passing on a QB at #4 if that's not a position we placed a high priority on. But to then draft one in round 2 made little sense to me. I hope for the best. But right now it's looking bad in hindsight. Clemens can't beat out a QB with no arm who panics under pressure & doesn't see the field; Ferguson isn't playing all that much better than Adrian Jones did if you want total honesty.

Again, they're all young & have plenty of time...except Schlegel who is neither young (for a 2nd-year player) nor has any time left on the Jets.

They certainly haven't been officially announced yet. But we have it on good authority that Schlegel did not make the final cut. I got a call earlier today from a guy at the hunting club and he confirmed that it didn't look good. He said Anthony was coming home.

At any rate we are getting a pig roast together. It is in the planning stages right now, once the details are known I will post them here.

Thanks.

LOL that seals it I'm going to Mississippi Sweets today for dinner and getting either a full rack of Baby Backs or the pulled pork platter

I agree 100%.

One of the problems with the prevous regime -and, honestly, many NFL teams- was an unwillingness to admit they screwed up a pick. It happens. Cutting Schlegel is s strong indication that these guys are committed to getting the best players on the field.

Kassel's no all-pro, but he's a vet who contributes on specials. He's probably faster than the boar hunter, too. It'll be interesting to see if Schlegel winds up anywhere. He should've been a good fit for the 3-4. He's too slow for the 4-3. Not many places for him to go.

Sorry about your boy, Gibbon. I know I was p1ssed last year when McClover was cut on the last day.

I mentioned last night i thought kassel and Schlegal were interchangeable and very close to each other in production.

I am thinking that after seeing 56 in another tc, the CS concluded that they would be better off with him on the PS squad again, so there is some hope for that for you.

Schlegel played very well in Philly. It was the first time that I saw him get extended playing time and he produced. Kassel will go, I think!

Archived