Jets list Pennington, Cotchery as questionable against Dolphins

GandWFan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8028fc10&template=with-video&confirm=true

Posted: 10 hours 44 minutes ago

Jets list Pennington, Cotchery as questionable against Dolphins

Associated Press

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Quarterback Chad Pennington, still recovering from a sprained right ankle that sidelined him last weekend, was listed as questionable Friday for the New York Jets' game against the Miami Dolphins.

Pennington was injured in the season opener against New England and didn't play last week at Baltimore as Kellen Clemens got his first NFL start. Pennington, still expected to start Sunday, appeared to be moving well in practice this week, barely showing any signs of the limp that was so noticeable last week.

Coach Eric Mangini said earlier in the week that Pennington will start -- as long as he's healthy. Pennington was listed as limited in practice all week, meaning he missed portions of 11-on-11 drills.

"He's continuing along the path that we have," Mangini said Friday. "I'm comfortable with his progress throughout the course of the week. It's a plan that we've put in place and a plan that we've worked out with him and with the doctors. We'll keep following that through today and through the weekend and evaluate it each step of the way."

Pennington dropped back and put his full weight on the ankle in drills during the week, and said his goal was "to be available."

"With any injury situation, you have to go through the whole week," Mangini said. "I've been part of decisions where it looks really good going into gameday and you do a pregame workout and it's not exactly what you expected. Or vice versa, you didn't look as good, you work out pregame and it looks great. You have to go through the whole process before you make that final decision."

Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery was also listed as questionable after falling hard on his right shoulder near the end of the game at Baltimore. Cotchery appeared to be in pain and left the game briefly, but was in on the Jets' final drive.

Cotchery, sporting a small bandage on the shoulder Friday, has been listed as limited all week but has been participating in receiving drills during the half-hour that the media are allowed to view practice.

Also listed as questionable were cornerback Andre Dyson (foot), right guard Brandon Moore (shoulder), defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson (knee) and safety Eric Smith (thigh).

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

It's a plan that we've put in place and a plan that we've worked out with him and with the doctors. We'll keep following that through today and through the weekend and evaluate it each step of the way."

Pennington dropped back and put his full weight on the ankle in drills during the week, and said his goal was "to be available."

So the plan was worked out with him... he knows the plan is for Kellen to start this week. That's why he said his goal was to be available, not to play.

Chad has been practicing all week and with the first team so I see no reason why Mangini will not go with him tomorrow. I want Kellen in there as much as all the rest of the Kellen fans, but he is not starting tomorrow.

So you think that this is all BB-like dis-information, huh? You are probably right, but he has not closed the door yet. Time will tell..

I read somewhere that he has been splitting first team reps with Kellen.

I hope Cotchery is good to go on sunday, no matter who is in at QB. If he isnt, Leon should get alot of action.

Agreed. I was real concerned Sunday when he was clutching his arm, like a shoulder separation. I hope he is OK.

And what happened to D_Rob and Moore? We already have enough problems with the O-line and D-line.

Agreed. I was real concerned Sunday when he was clutching his arm, like a shoulder separation. I hope he is OK.

And what happened to D_Rob and Moore? We already have enough problems with the O-line and D-line.

Yeah, when I saw him wincing like that I thought he was going to be on IR, but like Ghost said hes one tough SOB. His on field guts and production when 3rd and long is being faced, are much needed.(in any game)

DRob is probable, but why play him with a gimpy knee? His performance is hampered enough without adding injury.

It shouldn't matter who plays against this team.

The thing is, Cotchery has been a solid WR for both our QBs so far this year, and Jets-Miami games go back and forth so much its those possesion WRs that can move the chains and eat clock time. Thus keeping our D fresh on the sideline. Football 101, I know. But if our ground game falters again, this game figures to be a close one that can be decided by a dropped pass -IE JMac.

The thing is, Cotchery has been a solid WR for both our QBs so far this year, and Jets-Miami games go back and forth so much its those possesion WRs that can move the chains and eat clock time. Thus keeping our D fresh on the sideline. Football 101, I know. But if our ground game falters again, this game figures to be a close one that can be decided by a dropped pass -IE JMac.

They should be able to run the ball this week though.

D-Rob has had a chronic knee injury since the end of his rookie season i believe...I read somewhere that he's running out of cartilage in one of his knees.

I thin Moore's shouldr might also be chronic, as reports have said it limited him at times during TC this year.

Yeah, when I saw him wincing like that I thought he was going to be on IR, but like Ghost said hes one tough SOB. His on field guts and production when 3rd and long is being faced, are much needed.(in any game)

DRob is probable, but why play him with a gimpy knee? His performance is hampered enough without adding injury.

When i saw him get hurt I all I could think of was torn Achilles. Thank goodness it was just a sprain. Chad should be good to go. kellen is the future but I dont think he is ready.Although he did look good in the 4th qtr vs the Ravens.

When i saw him get hurt I all I could think of was torn Achilles. Thank goodness it was just a sprain. Chad should be good to go. kellen is the future but I dont think he is ready.Although he did look good in the 4th qtr vs the Ravens.

I was referring to JCs injury Jetsman. Like Columbia JetsFan stated, the QB position for this game could be manned by CP or KC and we would be fine, but take away a good WR away from them and they will be searching more.

I was referring to JCs injury Jetsman. Like Columbia JetsFan stated, the QB position for this game could be manned by CP or KC and we would be fine, but take away a good WR away from them and they will be searching more.

but getting a fast wayne chrebet or Randy Moss, the guy that teamed w/Chad to make Marshall history for picks would've been dumb, specially since we could've let our biggest rival get them both.

I'm sure 7th round stuckey will be fine, just like 7th round LG's will be fine.

Nobody except me sees the difference between Bill Belichek and this kid Mangini that's my age.

Look, I like Mangini A LOT!!, but he ain't an NFL coach, not quite yet. We got to 10-6 thanks to the emergence of cotchery, Pennington staying healthy and a cream puff schedule.

I reiterate~!

I like Mangini, but he's not a genius. He scored BIG with Leon and Revis, he wiffed on Schlegal,Barlow and where's Harris. He did a great job going OL first year(noone knew brick was a matador), but then the Kendall thing. He's LEARNING to be an NFL coach at our expense,but he'll get there.

I like Kellen, but he's not Montana.Chad is clearly the better NFL QB right now, he proved it last year.That's why he's #1 on the DC

I hate Sutton

I love young shotty.

So, we have a bunch of young, students everywhere you look up to the owner, let's at least have a seasoned QB.

We were meant to go 4-12 last year, Chad ans the C and C nusic factory and the schedule had something to say about that.

We aren't a 10-6 team, could've been, but we're not.

How could we have been?, I thought you'd never ask:

1.Grabbed Wes or Moss, I'd rather Wes, but Moss was cheaper. I'm just worried about him complaining because the c an c is our 1-2,period. The rest are fillers. Wes accepts that role. I'd love Chrebet back with 10 years off of him and a few 1/10th's of a sec off the 40.

2. Gave Kendall his pocket change. (BLUNDER!!!)

3. Screw the 4-3, OK, we're dead set on this garbage defense that 4% of the league plays, so we should have traded Vilma while he was still an a$$ kicker for a real 3-4 guy, the Harris move was good in theory, WHERE IS HE?????

4.Traded Vilma for who? The best freaking 3-4 NT you could get. I know there aren't many, which is why teams don't play the crap unless they have a freak, but they could've tried, or did they expect D-Rob to just put on 40 pounds.

5. Traded D-Rob.

Noone could really argue the Jones pick up, except he didn't fnish the r job(a character of his, I notice), but that should've made us competetive.

You know what's gonna do it now?? You know our only hope,now?and thanks for asking:

1.The defense does it's "Bend don't break" BS. and shows a little heart in the red at least.

2. Chad finds a way to win, that's what he does.

LanceMehl, Im not sure where Moss was referred to, but it wasnt by me. All I was saying is if Cotchery doesnt play, or is playing hurt and is rendered ineffective, then he will be sorely missed in this game. I just thought he looked hurt bad in Baltimore and would be out for weeks, I hope his shoulder is 90-100% for this game.

Archived