Pats Vrabel gets slammed

faba

Cleveland Browns' Eric Steinbach calls New England Patriots' Mike Vrabel classless'

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 Mary Kay Cabot

Plain Dealer Reporter

Browns guard Eric Steinbach blasted Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel on Monday for what he perceived as a cheap shot at the end of Sunday's 34-17 New England victory.

The incident could have resulted in injuries to Joe Thomas and Derek Anderson.

"It was a classless act, and you can quote me on that," Steinbach said. "The play was already dead. It was long after that. You can say it was only one guy, but that reflects on the team."

The situation occurred after a spike by Anderson at the Patriots' 10 with 11 seconds left in the game.

Just after Anderson's spike, Vrabel -- an Akron native, Walsh Jesuit graduate and former Ohio State star -- bull-rushed an unsuspecting Thomas, who staggered back a little and watched Vrabel fall down near Thomas' legs. Still tumbling, Vrabel fell into Anderson, whose back was turned by then. Vrabel hit Anderson's legs and tripped him up.

Steinbach, seeing his quarterback hit after a harmless spike, shoved Vrabel hard to the ground -- then center Hank Fraley pounced on him, followed by Thomas.

No flags were thrown for a late hit or unsportsmanlike conduct, but the Browns' linemen took matters into their own hands after the game, getting in Vrabel's face before he retreated to the locker room.

"To dive for a guy's knees like that [actually, Vrabel hit Thomas in the chest first and then slid down to his knees] and almost take out the quarterback?" said a still-miffed Steinbach. "When the game is already over with? It's unacceptable."

Steinbach called for the NFL to fine Vrabel, who declined to be interviewed by Patriots media on Monday.

"I hope [the league looks into it] because you do have to get fined for that," Steinbach said. "If he's going to keep going on like that . . . Maybe he doesn't care about $5,000, but it's still $5,000. I wouldn't want that reputation anyway, so I don't see that."

at least these playes show some life whereas players like Vilma would be more than happy to lend a hand and pat the opponent on the back. I like the physical and tough nature of the pats

Cheap shotting somebody is being tough and physical?

Not saying cheap shotting is good just saying jets fans love to beat up on the Pats and things that they do. I would take Vrabel any day on the Jets as he would instantly be one of the tops players on their D.

and would lead the team in TD receptions

Surprise surprise. This is going to be a common occurance this season. There are going to be alot of sour grapes. I'm a little surprised none of them cried about Seau dancing around in open field with the football like he just won the lottery.

Surprise surprise. This is going to be a common occurance this season. There are going to be alot of sour grapes. I'm a little surprised none of them cried about Seau dancing around in open field with the football like he just won the lottery.

I've only been here a little while but I have to say that some of these Jet fans are complete jokes. I understand their blind hate of the Pats but, my god every single weekend there's players all over the league calling eachother out for cheapshots. It's called football Jet fans, maybe if you actually had a real football team you would understand it. :P

Not saying cheap shotting is good just saying jets fans love to beat up on the Pats and things that they do. I would take Vrabel any day on the Jets as he would instantly be one of the tops players on their D.

I've only been here a little while but I have to say that some of these Jet fans are complete jokes. I understand their blind hate of the Pats but, my god every single weekend there's players all over the league calling eachother out for cheapshots. It's called football Jet fans, maybe if you actually had a real football team you would understand it. :P

HEY NEWBIE, the Cleveland Browns are calling him out, get it right, ok?

just what we need, another bandwagon jumping patise*a@@ flamer

I hardly doubt Vrable was playing dirty. I saw it. I swear, he thought the ball was still in play. Now, you want "dirty?" Harrison. He plays a little "rough." ;)

sorry Garb, it was a spiked pass.dead ball...guess Vrabel mis-interpreted the rule huh?

sorry Garb, it was a spiked pass.dead ball...guess Vrabel mis-interpreted the rule huh?

I think he thought it was a fumble. Really. Vrable has never been labled a "dirty" player - although he does enjoy the passive/aggressive FU (which The Sports Guy -Bill Simmons- and I think is the Pats mantra this year) as made evident in that Gawd awful Eagle mimick in the NE/Phily SB.

I think he thought it was a fumble. Really. Vrable has never been labled a "dirty" player - although he does enjoy the passive/aggressive FU (which The Sports Guy -Bill Simmons- and I think is the Pats mantra this year) as made evident in that Gawd awful Eagle mimick in the NE/Phily SB.

giving you the benefit of the doubt, the ball was still dead, therefore making his assumption DIRTY, he should really try paying attention

giving you the benefit of the doubt, the ball was still dead, therefore making his assumption DIRTY, he should really try paying attention

Assuming the ball was fumbled is dirty? Whatever. Lets just agree to disagree.

I have a question for you. Do you think Trent Green's tackle attempt was dirty? If so, do you think it was "okay" for the intended target to taunt Green while he lie on the turf? Just curious.

Assuming the ball was fumbled is dirty? Whatever. Lets just agree to disagree.

Ever hear of a whistle?? Im sure Vrabel has..

I have a question for you. Do you think Trent Green's tackle attempt was dirty? If so, do you think it was "okay" for the intended target to taunt Green while he lie on the turf? Just curious.

I thought it was a good block and the defender was a total idiot to taunt him...but I hate all taunters...

I thought it was a good block and the defender was a total idiot to taunt him...but I hate all taunters...

I have no idea really. Some media members called it dirty. Some say it is clean. I find it interesting when there are two different view points on something that is supposed to be clear - you know? ;)

I will say this. I pay more attention to the opinions of those that actually played high school level, and for certain, college level, (and pro) football than those that did not. Therefore, anything that John Calyton says I often dismiss.

I have no idea really. Some media members called it dirty. Some say it is clean. I find it interesting when there are two different view points on something that is supposed to be clear - you know? ;)

I will say this. I pay more attention to the opinions of those that actually played high school level, and for certain, college level, (and pro) football than those that did not. Therefore, anything that John Calyton says I often dismiss.

good point on Clayton

on the other hand, I played QB so when I say the patsies* cheat and are dirty, you believe me right????:P

HEY NEWBIE, the Cleveland Browns are calling him out, get it right, ok?

just what we need, another bandwagon jumping patise*a@@ flamer

Bandwagon ????? My A$$ baby Jet fan. I've lived through the Marc Wilson, Tommy Hoddson, Scott Secules years, and went to every home Game Rod Rust ever coached for the Patriots. I don't need to prove anything to some Green with envy 13 year old, who's team hasn't sniffed a Super Bowl in 38 years. Get it through your head, it's not the Patriots, or their fans fault the Jets are one of the longest running jokes in the NFL. Sorry little boy but this is football, every week, in every game players are takeing shots at eachothers legs, this is not new, it's called football, but we don't see Jet fans posting about thoses "dirty Rams" or asny other team on a daily basis. Talk about in your heads. :P:p:p

Bandwagon ????? My A$$ baby Jet fan. I've lived through the Marc Wilson, Tommy Hoddson, Scott Secules years, and went to every home Game Rod Rust ever coached for the Patriots. I don't need to prove anything to some Green with envy 13 year old, who's team hasn't sniffed a Super Bowl in 38 years. Get it through your head, it's not the Patriots, or their fans fault the Jets are one of the longest running jokes in the NFL. Sorry little boy but this is football, every week, in every game players are takeing shots at eachothers legs, this is not new, it's called football, but we don't see Jet fans posting about thoses "dirty Rams" or asny other team on a daily basis. Talk about in your heads. :P:p:p

LOL..someone else want to please handle this for me...thanx in advance

Patriots | Vrabel dirty player, according to opponent

Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:22:46 -0700

The Associated Press reports Cleveland Browns OG Eric Steinbach accused New England Patriots LB Mike Vrabel of being a "classless" player following their Week 5 game. Steinbach felt Vrabel purposely dived at the knees of Browns OT Joe Thomas' legs with 11 seconds remaining on a play that was stopped when Browns QB Derek Anderson spiked the ball. "It was too blatant for everyone to see," Steinbach said. "I don't know if the refs were kind of lackadaisical because it was the end of the game, but regardless of where it's at in the game, if you're going to allow stuff like that to go on...I thought we're trying to clean the game up. I wasn't too fond of that." "That just doesn't show professionalism. I don't care if the game was won or lost you don't do a move like that. I wasn't too happy," Steinbach added.:pats:

Nice try shasta, but your IP doesn't lie. so goodbye.

See, that's where it doesn't matter with me. When Sooth sees "Somewhere in Kansas" under the ip he knows what time it is. :lol:

The thingamajiggy that I found lets you mask you IP with ones from all around the world though... ;)

Archived