The ONLY current JETS HOF'er

PaJetFan

Say what you want...but SAVE this post for ten years down the road.

The man you will see in the JETS and NFL record books will be Jericho Cotchery.

This man is the toughest player I have ever seen. Durable, strong, good burst - NEVER drops a pass, and is absolutely CLUTCH.

Not playing him was THE biggest mistake Herm Edwards ever made.

But even when not using him regularly, his rookie year (only 60 yards on receptions), he brought a kick back 94 yards. Bottom line - if he gets his hands on the ball, he makes HUGE plays. He also get the most YAC's of any JETS receiver over the last two years... and he fights for every yard, even middle-of-the-field meaningless yards. He plays desperate, never celebrates, dominates the off-season work out programs and leads by actions, not words. He has made the most stand-out plays IMO over the past 2-3 years. He made the incredible elbow down catch and run 77 yard grab agains the Pats last year, AND the quintessential 'cotchery' touchdown grab against the Pats in the rain to seal the victory against the Pats in their second meeting. That game, by the way, was the biggest JETS regular season victory in my life as a JETS fan (I am 30 and have loved the JETS since 12 years old.)

There are several JETS similar to him in regard to these qualities but none who embody it all like he does. There are two other players in the NFL I can compare him to: Hines ward.

1. An average sized receiver with decent speed, who catches everything and destroys people in the run blocking game - and seems to enjoy it.

2. Curtis Martin - I Actually think that Cotchery could be more of an impact player at receiver, and equally as durable as Martin was as a running back. But the fact that cotchery NEVER, EVER showboats, is very durable, fights for every yard and NEVER fumbles makes the comparison mandatory for me.

Career stat projections (with the exception of career / season ending injury and Apocolypse):

1. Cotchery will average over 1,000 yards receiving for greater than ten consecutive years - starting last year. (yeah, yeah, he 'only' had in the 900's last year, but you know what I mean.)

2. If / When we get a quarterback who gets the ball where its supposed to be, he will dominate game after game and will set Jet's touchdown career receiving records. God forbid we ever get our **** together, he may set playoff touchdown reception records.

I've always based greatness on players I would start a team with. For me, in their prime I would pick Martin, Ward (and others like Rice, Walter Payton, Joe Montana.) And yes, that's where I see this guy ending up. As for now...get this guys Jersey if you want to represent everything awesome about our team.

I would love to hear arguments to this. Please fire away.

This man is the toughest player I have ever seen. Durable, strong, good burst - NEVER drops a pass, and is absolutely CLUTCH.

But even when not using him regularly, his rookie year (only 60 yards on receptions), he brought a kick back 94 yards. Bottom line - if he gets his hands on the ball, he makes HUGE plays. He also get the most YAC's of any JETS receiver over the last two years... and he fights for every yard, even middle-of-the-field meaningless yards. He plays desperate, never celebrates, dominates the off-season work out programs and leads by actions, not words. He has made the most stand-out plays IMO over the past 2-3 years. He made the incredible elbow down catch and run 77 yard grab agains the Pats last year, AND the quintessential 'cotchery' touchdown grab against the Pats in the rain to seal the victory against the Pats in their second meeting. That game, by the way, was the biggest JETS regular season victory in my life as a JETS fan (I am 30 and have loved the JETS since 12 years old.)

There are several JETS similar to him in regard to these qualities but none who embody it all like he does. There are two other players in the NFL I can compare him to: Hines ward.

1. An average sized receiver with decent speed, who catches everything and destroys people in the run blocking game - and seems to enjoy it.

2. Curtis Martin - I Actually think that Cotchery could be more of an impact player at receiver, and equally as durable as Martin was as a running back. But the fact that cotchery NEVER, EVER showboats, is very durable, fights for every yard and NEVER fumbles makes the comparison mandatory for me.

Career stat projections (with the exception of career / season ending injury and Apocolypse):

1. Cotchery will average over 1,000 yards receiving for greater than ten consecutive years - starting last year. (yeah, yeah, he 'only' had in the 900's last year, but you know what I mean.)

2. If / When we get a quarterback who gets the ball where its supposed to be, he will dominate game after game and will set Jet's touchdown career receiving records. God forbid we ever get our **** together, he may set playoff touchdown reception records.

I've always based greatness on players I would start a team with. For me, in their prime I would pick Martin, Ward (and others like Rice, Walter Payton, Joe Montana.) And yes, that's where I see this guy ending up. As for now...get this guys Jersey if you want to represent everything awesome about our team.

I would love to hear arguments to this. Please fire away.

I love Cotch he's actually probably my favorite Jet right now.. But he's slow, and I don't see him gaining anymore speed, meaning 10 years from now he's probably going to run a 5.8 40 time.

Cotch reminds me a lot of Chrebet but harder to take down. I think he will be a great Jet but not sure about the HOF. He is one of my favorite Jets right now as well.

I think Cotchery might be the best player on the Jets. This is a sad statement about the level of talent on the team right now.

Speed is not an issue. Guys who don't have enough speed DO NOT RETURN KICKOFFS 94 yards. Please!

Jerry Rice wasn't 'that' fast, neither was walter payton or Curtis Martin. What separates elite players with pedestrian measurables from the pack ie Curtis Martin, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, etc is their desire, work ethic, and game speed. Just do some research on the landmark offseason work of the aforementioned players. Cotchery is a tough, intangible guy. The best way to describe him is 'throwback.' Look at all the monster plays Cotchery has had...the touchdown against Indianapolis last year when he outran everyone across the field for a TC, his miraculous catch to beat NE in the rain, even last year in the playoffs, he had that 70+ yard TD catch that everyone forgets about. He is our REAL gamebreaker. I love L. Coles, but he get tons opportunistic plays because Chad addores him and gives him the ball in the end zone on short lobs. Laverneus had 4.3 speed at Florida state, but HE is the speedier possession receiver who is a lot like Wayne Chrebet. Wayne Chrebet did not DRAG db's on his back like Cotcher did against the Ravens this year, he never broke multiple 70 yard TD receptions in the same year. HE NEVER returned a kick for a TD. Gimme a break. The more Cotcher touches the ball, the more the JETS score and the more they win.

Please, keep the arguments coming against Cotchery. I love hearing them. It's very interesting to me. I can see Kerry Rhodes and Revis being 'that' kind of player as well. It's just that I feel VERY strongly about Cotchery being an all-time Jet. And they have not extended Rhode's contract yet and the body of work for Revis is too small...so we'll see.

By the way - Isn't it CRAZY that our 'low-round' picks are our biggest stars : Leon, Cotchery, Coles, Rhodes, Smith!!??

PEACE

Cotch will soon have a quarterback who can sling. What we're seeing...all the YAC's and great break away plays demonstrate how dominant this guy really is. He still makes long gaines, drags defenders and plows through others, all this despite almost never catching the ball more than 15 yards downfield. Chad's first pick last week was a great example. Even with double coverage, if he put the ball deeper toward the back of the end zone, Cotchery would have made a plays. Instead it was a pick. WHen the quarterback comes, the plays will exponentially increase. Like I said at the beginning of the post: Keep this post for ten years and just watch how right I am.

Cotch will soon have a quarterback who can sling. What we're seeing...all the YAC's and great break away plays demonstrate how dominant this guy really is. He still makes long gaines, drags defenders and plows through others, all this despite almost never catching the ball more than 15 yards downfield. Chad's first pick last week was a great example. Even with double coverage, if he put the ball deeper toward the back of the end zone, Cotchery would have made a plays. Instead it was a pick. WHen the quarterback comes, the plays will exponentially increase. Like I said at the beginning of the post: Keep this post for ten years and just watch how right I am.

I'm with ya. Cothery is very exciting to watch. I'll NEVER forget that TD run against the Taintriots last year. What Jet fan will?

(A) You can `t project anyone as a hall of famer in their first full year as a starter last year he was pretty much a fill in guy for McCarrines ,but excelled when he was given a shot. (B) If this team continues on it`s present course with it`s lame offense and a QB who has/is no deep threat he`ll get out of here first shot he gets with a real passing team cause your not gonna make the hall of fame catching 3-10 dink & dunk pass` IMHO ,Also Man -wene is killing any chance of any decent offensive free agent comming here at all with this lame offence without at the very least way overpaying him...

Nice receiver--needs an arm to show his talents to their fullest--but hardly a hall of famer.

I think he`s going to be a great player I just don`t think he`ll be here. Athleates are all about the money ,there are very few that are loyle to a team & those that are I suspect their wives and kids have more to say about it then them. Right now Man-wene is proving last year was a fluke and we are the same old JETS ,so don`t look for anyone decent to stay here longer then 1 extention

Archived