What did we all do before cable TV, computers and internet message boards?

BP

I remember a door to door salesman knocking on our door in 1973 selling cable TV promising crystal clear reception and Ranger and Knick home games, along with the monthly Bruno Sammartino wrestling card at Madison Square Garden.

SfFB0S-3bq4

Any old timers still around? :lol:

I remember having like 9 channels of TV. Can you friggin' imagine that!

Then I recall my parents splurging for HBO in the early '80's. The first movie we saw was Jaws and I recall it cutting out mid-way through... my dad was pissed beyond belief! There was no remote whatsoever.

Now I have 4 remotes and a phone that looks like a remote and I'm always picking up the wrong one. A TV bigger then my entire kitchen, more wires running to and from something... a surround system that I'm surprised hasn't shaken the foundation loose yet...

Well..... technology is great. I won't fight it.

I remember having like 9 channels of TV. Can you friggin' imagine that!

Then I recall my parents splurging for HBO in the early '80's. The first movie we saw was Jaws and I recall it cutting out mid-way through... my dad was pissed beyond belief! There was no remote whatsoever.

Now I have 4 remotes and a phone that looks like a remote and I'm always picking up the wrong one. A TV bigger then my entire kitchen, more wires running to and from something... a surround system that I'm surprised hasn't shaken the foundation loose yet...

Well..... technology is great. I won't fight it.

The first ever movie I saw on ''Home Cinema'' in 1977 was ''Damnation Alley'' with Jan Michael Vincent. Home Cinema predated HBO. and the converter was a big black box with a huge channel changer in the middle. no digital converter. no remote.

The first ever movie I saw on ''Home Cinema'' in 1977 was ''Damnation Alley'' with Jan Michael Vincent. Home Cinema predated HBO. and the converter was a big black box with a huge channel changer in the middle. no digital converter. no remote.

Do you have a "dog" named Dino, by chance??? icon10.gif

I remember seeing that movie in Albany, NY. We all cheered when they said one area where there were survivors was Albany.

I remember a door to door salesman knocking on our door in 1973 selling cable TV promising crystal clear reception and Ranger and Knick home games, along with the monthly Bruno Sammartino wrestling card at Madison Square Garden.

SfFB0S-3bq4

We didn't get cable till 1981. I can remember when USA was a part time network. They would start their broadcast day at like 6:00pm.

Having MSG was at that time was great. Ch 9 only televised the Knicks and the Rangers road games.

I also remember the days of WHT on ch68. Regular broadcasting during the day and then movies and sports and night. I can remember sitting there trying to adjust my tv enough so I could get a somewhat unscrambled version of Islander games.

It is funny because I can hear myself now. When I was a kid there was no internet. We were happy to have color tv. Not the flat screen kind anyway. We had to watch that thing all day long and play pong. You kids today play your high def xbox and don't know how good you have it.

And peep shows only cost a quarter. Geez.

:Nuts:

My first experienc with cable tv was the wired control that had the 3 level dial on the left and channel buttons going from left to right. When you put the left dial just between the 1st and 2nd second level and then press down 3-6-9 at the same time, the playboy channel came in clearly.

My first experienc with cable tv was the wired control that had the 3 level dial on the left and channel buttons going from left to right. When you put the left dial just between the 1st and 2nd second level and then press down 3-6-9 at the same time, the playboy channel came in clearly.

That is funny I seem to remember your controller getting "stuck" in the 3-6-9 position.

So weird!

I do remember those "remotes" though. Pretty damn funny because it had like a 50 foot cord with it. Give it to the neighbor so they can change the channel for you.

That is funny I seem to remember your controller getting "stuck" in the 3-6-9 position.

So weird!

I do remember those "remotes" though. Pretty damn funny because it had like a 50 foot cord with it. Give it to the neighbor so they can change the channel for you.

Unfortunately at the age I was then, I really didn't know what to do with myself when the playboy channel was on. Nope, my time came when the spice channel was not completely blocke out. You know, it was wavy and grainy at times, but then before you knew it there was a brief flash of perfectly clear picture. Beating off to that stuff was hilarious....wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, go go go!!!

I know its not directed at people like me but....

I may not be an old timer, but when I was a kid my parents didn't want me watching much TV, and the only computer I used was for school work at school. I played basketball, football, baseball, and ran around outside all day long....

I miss those days :(

We didn't get cable till 1981. I can remember when USA was a part time network. They would start their broadcast day at like 6:00pm.

Having MSG was at that time was great. Ch 9 only televised the Knicks and the Rangers road games.

There were no commercials on MSG network back in the 70's, they would just cut away from the announcers (Jim Gordon and Bill ''the big whistle'' Chadwick for the Rangers). it was on channel 8 on your TV with no converter.

I also remember the days of WHT on ch68. Regular broadcasting during the day and then movies and sports and night. I can remember sitting there trying to adjust my tv enough so I could get a somewhat unscrambled version of Islander games.

Wasn't WHT ch68 also the home of the Uncle Floyd show? :lol:

WQj_WoIX4jY

I know its not directed at people like me but....

I may not be an old timer, but when I was a kid my parents didn't want me watching much TV, and the only computer I used was for school work at school. I played basketball, football, baseball, and ran around outside all day long....

I miss those days :(

Those were the days! There was always like 10 kids around to play a tackle football game...

I finally managed to get satellite tv in our house in 2000. Up to then, we had the grand total of...7 channels.

That's because over in Ireland it's so damn expensive. It's ridiculous, just to get the SKY basic costs more than my iO channels, which I have most of them, and that's before the money conversion. I do wonder how you survive sometimes.

That's because over in Ireland it's so damn expensive. It's ridiculous, just to get the SKY basic costs more than my iO channels, which I have most of them, and that's before the money conversion. I do wonder how you survive sometimes.

I was lucky enough, they were doing a hell of an offer at the time,

That sucks, but I guess you got the internet thing down so it's not all bad. It makes you appreciate TV a bit more,but anything is better than the 4 channel dig which one of the channels is in Irish, so basically three channels. And damn those channels suck.

We were lucky, being right on the border, we got the British channels as well. I had to pity all those people down in Kerry, etc that could only get the two RTE channels for years. TV Hell.

I remember that movie. George Peppard was in it, too, right?

Archived