Mets Targeting Posada, Yanks talking Crede - NYDailynews

Barton

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2007/11/01/2007-11-01_mets_target_posada_while_yankees_move_sl-1.html

In the past two weeks, the Yankees have severed ties with Joe Torre and Don Mattingly, two of the team's most popular figures of the past 20 years. Is Jorge Posada next?

Industry sources are becoming increasingly baffled at the sluggish pace the Yankees have taken with the five-time All-Star catcher. Even though Posada has filed for free agency, the Bombers are in an exclusive 15-day negotiating rights period with the catcher but apparently have not presented an offer since the end of the season.

It appears inevitable that Posada will not sign a deal with the Yankees before Nov. 13, the date that other teams can get involved in the bidding, so the Bombers run the risk of another club blowing the catcher away with a huge offer.

The Yankees are believed to have internally discussed an offer of three years and $40 million, but one source believes it will take more than that to bring Posada back to the Bronx, most definitely if he gets out into the open market.

Mets sources say GM Omar Minaya has identified Posada at the top of the team's list of free agent targets. Like he did with Pedro Martinez before the 2005 season, Minaya might be willing to go above and beyond to secure the rights of a possible Hall of Famer.

If the Mets offer Posada four years - or possibly five - it would leave the Yankees in a difficult spot, as they would be committing more years than they wish to a catcher who will turn 37 next summer.

It is believed that the Mets would still have to make a significantly better offer than the Yankees for Posada to jump across town, as his first choice would be to return to the Bronx if the offers were similar.

Posada put himself in prime free-agent position with a tremendous 2007 season, batting a career-high .338 with 20 home runs and 90 RBI. Having earned $12 million last season, he will certainly be seeking a raise, likely somewhere in the range of $13 million to $14 million per year.

Should Posada leave the Yankees, the crop of available options is extremely thin. Paul Lo Duca, who played with the Mets for the past two years, leads the free-agent class, followed by Rod Barajas, Jason Kendall, Damian Miller and Michael Barrett, none of whom could come close to replacing Posada's production.

The Yankees are interested in retaining free agent Jose Molina, who backed up Posada after being acquired last summer, but he has not played in more than 78 games in his eight-year career.

The fact that Posada is a switch-hitter makes him even more important to the Yankees, who are without any righthanded power now that Alex Rodriguez has opted out and appears to be on his way out of town.

Regarding A-Rod's old spot, the Yankees and White Sox have had preliminary discussions about Joe Crede, a righthanded-hitting third baseman coming off back surgery. With Josh Fields ready to take over at third in Chicago, the White Sox could look to deal Crede, who hit 30 home runs in 2006.

One Yankees official recently characterized it as "likely" that the team would exercise Bobby Abreu's $16 million option, which must be done by tomorrow. But the concern about being too overloaded with lefties has also caused some internal debate on that issue.

If I am the Yankees, and Posada wants a 4 or 5 year deal - LET HIM WALK.

Aside from this past season when he was very good with the bat, he's never been anything really special. But the main point is this: a 4 or 5 year deal for a 36 yr old catcher (who is not even good defensively), would be a complete disaster.

Explore trade options at catcher and/or sign Michael Barrett.

I'd go after Crede. Gold glove type of defender with plenty of pop at 3B who hits well above his career average with runners on base and even better with runners in scoring position....and for the stat geeks....his OPS with runners on is .804 with a more than adequate sample size of over 1,600 ABs. The guy just hits in the clutch. Career OPS of .750, and goes up to .795 with RISP and 2 outs and a .022 point jump in his BA. Also posted a .949 OPS in his only post season opportunity.

I dont think Posada is going to be back. Mo will definitely be back.

I think the Yanks are nervous giving Posada a huge deal. he's not going to repeat last year.

Exactly. Not only is Jorge getting up there in years but he's had extended seasons each of the past 12 years. He may have one or two "top notch" years as far as catchers are concerned but beyond that they'd be paying a back up 14-16 mil per season. No thanks. If he'll take a two year deal with a fat paycheck then fine. Otherwise, move on.

I'd go after Crede. Gold glove type of defender with plenty of pop at 3B who hits well above his career average with runners on base and even better with runners in scoring position....and for the stat geeks....his OPS with runners on is .804 with a more than adequate sample size of over 1,600 ABs. The guy just hits in the clutch. Career OPS of .750, and goes up to .795 with RISP and 2 outs and a .022 point jump in his BA.

If the Yankees are going to practice what they preach and build on pitching, it would be wise for them to build a defense to compliment that pitching.

3b will be crucial for that piece. I don't know Crede, but if he is gold glove caliber and has range, that is a great start.

I am sure that the Cardinals would entertain talks for Scott Rolen, but I believe he is scheduled for another surgery.

Although he has been diminished somewhat, a better defender at 3b or a grittier player you can not find.

If the Yankees are going to practice what they preach and build on pitching, it would be wise for them to build a defense to compliment that pitching.

3b will be crucial for that piece. I don't know Crede, but if he is gold glove caliber and has range, that is a great start.

I am sure that the Cardinals would entertain talks for Scott Rolen, but I believe he is scheduled for another surgery.

Although he has been diminished somewhat, a better defender at 3b or a grittier player you can not find.

I'm not going to pretend that I've seen Joe Crede a great deal but I can say that I went to a Yanks Sox game a few years ago and the guy made three highlight reel plays. One to his left and two sure doubles down the line. I've seen him make some great plays since then as well and have always liked his glove work.

Exactly. Not only is Jorge getting up there in years but he's had extended seasons each of the past 12 years. He may have one or two "top notch" years as far as catchers are concerned but beyond that they'd be paying a back up 14-16 mil per season. No thanks. If he'll take a two year deal with a fat paycheck then fine. Otherwise, move on.

Posada probably had his best year of his career prior to being a free agent- great timing for him to get his last contract.

I'm not going to pretend that I've seen Joe Crede a great deal but I can say that I went to a Yanks Sox game a few years ago and the guy made three highlight reel plays. One to his left and two sure doubles down the line. I've seen him make some great plays since then as well and have always liked his glove work.

Same here. Crede two years ago was a very good player. Obviously, the enitre Sox team this year sht the bed, but if the Yanks think he's healthy I'd love to bring him here.

Well, I am sure he will need to pass a physical and all being he just had surgery. I say bring him in.

Posada...a four year deal is crazy unless he knows he will sift to 1B or DH in the final 2 years of his contract. Maybe 2 years and options for the next, but for years is insane

If I am the Yankees, and Posada wants a 4 or 5 year deal - LET HIM WALK.

Aside from this past season when he was very good with the bat, he's never been anything really special. But the main point is this: a 4 or 5 year deal for a 36 yr old catcher (who is not even good defensively), would be a complete disaster.

Explore trade options at catcher and/or sign Michael Barrett.

I think Molina might actually be better than Barrett, actually. My preference is to bring Posada back. If not, then... ugh. LoDuca?

Seriously though, age is a big factor that we need to consider, but another factor is the size of the market. There aren't a lot of options out there, or in our system.

Move on? Move on to what exactly? Yanks are hard pressed at that position and even though I don't like Jorge's numbers in the postseason, they will miss his presence with the young pitching staff...they will sign him.

I think Molina could be a decent starter if Posada goes. I'd take him over Barrett.

I would go after BENGIE Molina from the Giants, and keep Jose as the backup. Bengie is an even better catcher than Jose, plus Bengie can hit too.

As for Crede, if the back checks out and is not a problem he should be our target. He'd be money at 3rd base and I have always said it - the guy is clutch.

Barton and Blackout agree that the Yanks should let Posada walk. Could there possibly be a better argument to keep him?

As for 3B, you KNOW we're going to take a run at Mike Lowell.

Neither one of us said we should just let him walk. I said we should let him walk if he wants a 4/5 year deal. And you'd have to be a moron to think its a good idea to sign him to a 4/5 year deal.

So next time read the post twice to get your facts straight before you talk your usual junk.

Mike Pags was the man. He hit 20 home runs when that meant something. Those were the days!

Pags hit 32 one year...behind Donnie Baseball Pags is my second favorite Yankee ever....loved that guy

Remember when Pags would read those dumb poems in the promos for the WPIX broadcasts?

I remember the Daily News commercial he did when the reporter started by saying "If you spell Mark Salas' name backwards it's still Salas, Mike Pagliarulo on the other hand is olurailgap" No idea why that stuck with me all these years but apparently it did. Pags homered twice at my first Yankee game and he's a reason why I played 3B from little league through high school.

Eric Solderhome(SP?) took over for Pags when he got injured. Steve Balboni also

We also had Jack Clark for awhile.

Who we traded away for some of these guys...

Fred McGriff

Jay Buhner

No, we traded Clark to the Padres for Stanley Jefferson and Andy Hawkins and I believe Lance McCullers (one of those may have been a FA pick up).

Buhner was a Rule V pickup out of the Pirates system if I'm not mistaken and McGriff was traded to the Jays before Jack Clark was a Yankee. This is all going off of memory so I might not be 100% right but I know Clark went to the Pads after one season as a Yankee.

Archived