Pettitte to return to Yanks in 08

Matt39

Report: Agent advises Yanks that Pettitte is returning

ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 3, 2007, 9:03 AM ET

Andy Pettitte, who had considered retirement after the 2007 season ended, will return in 2008 to pitch for the New York Yankees, the Houston Chronicle reported on Monday.

5331.jpg Pettitte

According to the report, his agent, Randy Hendricks, said he has advised the Yankees that Pettitte will come back.

"Many teammates have called urging Andy to return as well as manager Joe Girardi," Hendricks said, according to the report. "It's well known that the Yankees have publicly stated that they were ready for Andy when Andy was ready."

The Chronicle reported that it earlier learned from friends, former Houston Astros teammates and some current Yankees teammates that the left-hander would return.

Pettitte pitched for the Yankees last season on a one-year, $16 million contract. He earlier declined a $16 million player option for 2008, but the Yankees have offered him salary arbitration.

Pettitte has a 201-113 career record with a 3.83 ERA over 13 seasons with the Yankees and Astros. He went 15-9 with a 4.05 ERA in 36 starts in 2007.

all the more reason to not do the Santana trade.

Pettitte coming back for one season is reason not to sign a 29 yr old two time Cy Young winner who will anchor the staff for another seven years?

Pettitte coming back for one season is reason not to sign a 29 yr old two time Cy Young winner who will anchor the staff for another seven years?

no one can be positive how santana will play in new york, pettitte is a proven ace for this team and hes shown it time and time again

no one can be positive how santana will play in new york, pettitte is a proven ace for this team and hes shown it time and time again

Pettitte is year to year. Santana will be in place for at least five and mabye even seven.

Any time that any team acquires any player, nobody knows how they will perform. This does not mean you stop acquiring new/great young players. It means you use their body of work to determine if you want them on your team or not. If you do, go get them and see what happens.

Agent Randy Hendricks confirmed that Andy Pettitte would take a one-year, $16 million contract to remain with the Yankees.

There will be no option attached to the deal this time. Once the deals for Pettitte, Alex Rodriguez, Mariano Rivera and Jose Molina are official, the Yankees will already be committed to a $200 million payroll, and that's without having added Johan Santana or improving the bullpen.

Source: The Journal News

Agent Randy Hendricks confirmed that Andy Pettitte would take a one-year, $16 million contract to remain with the Yankees.

There will be no option attached to the deal this time. Once the deals for Pettitte, Alex Rodriguez, Mariano Rivera and Jose Molina are official, the Yankees will already be committed to a $200 million payroll, and that's without having added Johan Santana or improving the bullpen.

Source: The Journal News

This is the part I find interesting. I wonder if this really is it for Andy and Baseball. Sort of like he is coming back out of loyalty (and $16 million :character0282:), and he does not want to leave the Yankees in a lurch, with Wang, Moose and 3 kids in the rotation. Excluding Santana, at the present time.

This is the part I find interesting. I wonder if this really is it for Andy and Baseball. Sort of like he is coming back out of loyalty (and $16 million :character0282:), and he does not want to leave the Yankees in a lurch, with Wang, Moose and 3 kids in the rotation. Excluding Santana, at the present time.

I have to think they reached out to him and asked for a announcement if he was coming back as the unknown factor would affect their trade talks this week. The timing is too coincidental.

Yes.

And when Phil Hughes starts winning Cy Youngs, and we have good outfield defense, you understand why.

Yes.

And when Phil Hughes starts winning Cy Youngs, and we have good outfield defense, you understand why.

So you'd prefer a guy who might possibly win a Cy Young some day over a guy who has actually done it already. Twice. Who's to say Santana doesn't win two or three more in his time with the Yanks?

So you'd prefer a guy who might possibly win a Cy Young some day over a guy who has actually done it already. Twice. Who's to say Santana doesn't win two or three more in his time with the Yanks?

Dude, I prefer to not give up three good prospects and then STILL have to pay Santana for his uber-contract when those same prospects (Hughes in particular) could end up being just as good, or even close to just as good. It's called over-paying.

Yes. I like Santana, I'd love to have him on my team, but the price in prospects just doesn't make sense. I don't think we're missing out on anything by letting this guy get past us.

I'll take proven talent over "prospects". That being said you don't trade away the entire farm for a pitcher. I think giving up Hughes is fine. I mean, Minnesota has to get something worthwhile in return.

Hughes for Santana straight-up is still a move I don't love, but it makes more sense. Minnesota gets a young ace-in-waiting who will be cheap and under-contract for a while yet, and we get the expensive older guy.

Please remember that a pitcher still only plays once every 5 days, and even then, a GOOD pitcher wins MAYBE 20 games (a mark that Santana reached ONCE in 2004).

He's very good, but so is Hughes. Lets build this team the right way.

Dude, I prefer to not give up three good prospects and then STILL have to pay Santana for his uber-contract when those same prospects (Hughes in particular) could end up being just as good, or even close to just as good. It's called over-paying.

Yes. I like Santana, I'd love to have him on my team, but the price in prospects just doesn't make sense. I don't think we're missing out on anything by letting this guy get past us.

I can see where you're coming from uart. There are only one or two guys in MLB I'd trade Hughes for and Santana is one of them. If the trade happens I'm fine with it. If it doesn't happen...I'm fine with it. If Boston gets him.....look out.

Whats sounds better folks?

Santana

Wang

Pettitte

Chamberlin

Kennedy

or

Wang

Pettitte

Hughes

Chamberlin

Kennedy

No brainer to me. Still should deal for Santana. Its not like he's 35 years old here. He has a lot of time left, is proven and is a left handed pitcher at Yankee stadium with nasty stuff. Would you rather the Red Sox have him? I think not. I sure as hell do not wish to see Dice-K has the Red Sox #4 starter.

Whats sounds better folks?

No brainer to me. Still should deal for Santana. Its not like he's 35 years old here. He has a lot of time left, is proven and is a left handed pitcher at Yankee stadium with nasty stuff. Would you rather the Red Sox have him? I think not. I sure as hell do not wish to see Dice-K as the Red Sox #4 starter.

Hmmmm Dice K as the #4. I like the sound of that . :P

Archived