BCS VS PLAYOFFS

K-Rhodes25

BCS OR PLAYOFF  

1 member has voted

1. 1. BCS OR PLAYOFF

• BCS
    • Playoff

I doing a paper for school and i need to take a poll what would you rather have in college football the current BCS? or an 8 team playoff?

It's the ONLY NCAA sport without a playoff to determine the national champ. Use 4 of the early bowl games as the 1st round of the playoffs, then have (rotate) like the Rose and Orange Bowls as the semifinals and have a national championship game the 2nd week in January.

A 20-team playoff would make the entire regular season a waste of time.

it already is for most teams. The current system sucks and the sport will not grow with this fu(ked up system.

I havent watched more than 2 games this year, and neither by choice because I think the whole football system sucks. And I certainly wont be watching the "championship" game. The hardcore fans will be there, but the casual college football fan will give up and move onto something else.

an 8 team playoff isnt enough teams. Anything less than 20 teams is a waste of time.

How long are you going to drag out the season? 8's plenty. Right now coming up with 8 legitimate teams who deserve a shot is no problem. You think a team like A&M who's 7-5 deserves a title shot? No way.

an 8 team playoff isnt enough teams. Anything less than 20 teams is a waste of time.

8 team playoff is fine and is a hell of a lot better than the current system.

Hell, I'd take a 4 team playoff.

8 this season would've been optimal.

You can have a playoff without having every team with a winning record in it. ;)

8 teams this year would've allowed for basically every team that had a legit case for being in the championship game.

Why? So we can extend the season into March and have the tournaments conincide with March Madness? Then we can watch a bunch of underclassmen take the field after all of the starters are too injured to play anymore. Even if there was an 8 team playoff they would almost have to cut out one out of conference game.

How long are you going to drag out the season? 8's plenty. Right now coming up with 8 legitimate teams who deserve a shot is no problem. You think a team like A&M who's 7-5 deserves a title shot? No way.

how are you dragging out the season??? The regular season ended the weekend before thanksgiving....

4 weeks of playoffs with 2 weeks off for finals ends at the same time as the bowl games.

top 16 teams would suffice.

Why? So we can extend the season into March and have the tournaments conincide with March Madness? Then we can watch a bunch of underclassmen take the field after all of the starters are too injured to play anymore. Even if there was an 8 team playoff they would almost have to cut out one out of conference game.

I'll ask the same question I asked ThaiJet. How is the season dragged out?

LSU has 5 weeks to prepare for the championship game. That is too much.

If you have 16 teams in the tourney, it would be 4 weeks of playoffs.

you also have to discontinue the bye week and the conference championship. Either everyone has it or no one does.

Okay- The BCS is better than the playoffs. The playoffs are during the season, screw up in a big game, your seeding suffers and you are eliminated. I believe in BCS reform, like changing the way rankings work, such as not releasing the AP rankings until November. Teams that finish with 3 losses do not deserve to be in Championship contention, no matter how large the field. It would be more corrupt than the bowls, because bias would lead to the tournament being overstocked with teams from premeir conferences, or even overrated teams. As BS Illinois in the Rose Bowl may be, its better than teams sandbagging during the season, resting for the playoffs, making the last games irrelevent to some teams. No one has died because of the BCS, it is a computer, not corrupt like the sportswriters and councils that would decide seeding. If you're team didn't show that they were the best team, TOUGH SH1T.

Okay- The BCS is better than the playoffs. The playoffs are during the season, screw up in a big game, your seeding suffers and you are eliminated. I believe in BCS reform, like changing the way rankings work, such as not releasing the AP rankings until November. Teams that finish with 3 losses do not deserve to be in Championship contention, no matter how large the field. It would be more corrupt than the bowls, because bias would lead to the tournament being overstocked with teams from premeir conferences, or even overrated teams. As BS Illinois in the Rose Bowl may be, its better than teams sandbagging during the season, resting for the playoffs, making the last games irrelevent to some teams. No one has died because of the BCS, it is a computer, not corrupt like the sportswriters and councils that would decide seeding. If you're team didn't show that they were the best team, TOUGH SH1T.

Who said you had to get rid of the computer? Just use the top 16 from the list to get the playoff teams.

I'll ask the same question I asked ThaiJet. How is the season dragged out?

LSU has 5 weeks to prepare for the championship game. That is too much.

If you have 16 teams in the tourney, it would be 4 weeks of playoffs.

you also have to discontinue the bye week and the conference championship. Either everyone has it or no one does.

I voted for the playoff, but 16 might be too many.

First, the bowl system would have to still be in place in some form. The BCS apologist notion that they would lose money and it would make the lesser bowls irrelevant is BS. The lesser bowls are irrelelvant because they are lesser bowls. The money if not more is liek the NFL, college football is a cash cow.

Second, what would happen if in the first week of December (assuming a 16 team playoff and using this year's BCS rankings). The Oho State University lost to Tennesse. College Football would not have one of it's marque programs playing for the championship during the Christmas season.

That is why 8 is probably optimal. It gives you three weeks. That schedule is alot more manageable and gives you flexibility to work around the current bowl system. Yes, OSU can still lose in the first round, but they are not done too early.

I voted for the playoff, but 16 might be too many.

First, the bowl system would have to still be in place in some form. The BCS apologist notion that they would lose money and it would make the lesser bowls irrelevant is BS. The lesser bowls are irrelelvant because they are lesser bowls. The money if not more is liek the NFL, college football is a cash cow.

Second, what would happen if in the first week of December (assuming a 16 team playoff and using this year's BCS rankings). The Oho State University lost to Tennesse. College Football would not have one of it's marque programs playing for the championship during the Christmas season.

That is why 8 is probably optimal. It gives you three weeks. That schedule is alot more manageable and gives you flexibility to work around the current bowl system. Yes, OSU can still lose in the first round, but they are not done too early.

there would be no more conference championships, so there would be no games in the first week of december.

also, if college football keeps going down this path with the bcs, none of the bowl games will be cash cows. they need to revamp the entire system and not make little changes here and there. I know there is zero chance they will make any significant changes until the whole thing is on the verge of collapse. a man can dream, cant he??:P

when the BCS claims the bowls pay out $180 million a year there is no way we will ever see any changes.

All they need with a 16 team tourney is 8 bowl games.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=314427&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=11&sid=2599fb6b026e3ffb71c15eefbfa50dc8#comments

Ratings for the championship and the other BCS games have varied depending on the matchup and the competitiveness of the contest. Last season's Orange Bowl between Louisville and Wake Forest drew a 7.0; the Rose Bowl between Southern California and Michigan on ABC earned a 13.9. The title game between Ohio State and Florida received a 17.4.

"The reality is the BCS games are as well-received and as popular in viewership as anything out there," Goren said.

This year's college basketball championship game drew a 13.2. The World Series averaged a 10.6, and the NBA finals averaged a 6.2. The four NFL playoff games on Fox last season averaged a 19.9.

"As a professional athlete -- win or go home, that's fine. That's the way pro sports works," Goren said. "Is it exciting? Absolutely. But it's a totally different experience.

So the NFL playoffs on Fox averaged a 19.9 The title game for college football was a 17.4 in a very compelling matchup that people stayed tuned in to watch.

Imagine what the ratings would be if they had either an 8 or 16 team tourney... would be through the roof. I wonder what the ratings will look like this year...

there would be no more conference championships, so there would be no games in the first week of december.

also, if college football keeps going down this path with the bcs, none of the bowl games will be cash cows. they need to revamp the entire system and not make little changes here and there. I know there is zero chance they will make any significant changes until the whole thing is on the verge of collapse. a man can dream, cant he??:P

when the BCS claims the bowls pay out $180 million a year there is no way we will ever see any changes.

All they need with a 16 team tourney is 8 bowl games.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=314427&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=11&sid=2599fb6b026e3ffb71c15eefbfa50dc8#comments

Ratings for the championship and the other BCS games have varied depending on the matchup and the competitiveness of the contest. Last season's Orange Bowl between Louisville and Wake Forest drew a 7.0; the Rose Bowl between Southern California and Michigan on ABC earned a 13.9. The title game between Ohio State and Florida received a 17.4.

"The reality is the BCS games are as well-received and as popular in viewership as anything out there," Goren said.

This year's college basketball championship game drew a 13.2. The World Series averaged a 10.6, and the NBA finals averaged a 6.2. The four NFL playoff games on Fox last season averaged a 19.9.

"As a professional athlete -- win or go home, that's fine. That's the way pro sports works," Goren said. "Is it exciting? Absolutely. But it's a totally different experience.

So the NFL playoffs on Fox averaged a 19.9 The title game for college football was a 17.4 in a very compelling matchup that people stayed tuned in to watch.

Imagine what the ratings would be if they had either an 8 or 16 team tourney... would be through the roof. I wonder what the ratings will look like this year...

I am not disagreeing with anything you say.

The Poulan Weed Eater bowl probably loses money unless they get a crappy major team that travels well. If they get Boston College vs Illinois, they probably lose money and write it off.

We all have ideas that would make more sense then what is in place now. My only anti-16 take is crappy 4 or 5 loss teams from the big conferences that would sneak in vs a team from like the MAC.

Unless, every FCSFBCSFSFSFSFSFS team got a bid.

uh we have a 2 team playoff now.

the system would have more legitimacy if the argument every year is who makes it at #8 and who is out at #9. deciding only the best 2 is a joke. it's a system that crowns a winner rather than letting the true winner emerge.

sorry to burst your Bubble

AA(FCS) has had it right for years

16 team playoff it ends this sat Delaware va Ap st

there is no need for 4 weeks of blank space

it is why this BCS game sucks, too much time off in between last game played

a joke!!!

Yuck. I agree with you. I feel dirty. ;)

Archived