The O Line problems

4HCrew

Other than Mangold this whole line is a concern. D Brick is starting to concern me especially with his price tag. There need to be substantial upgrades this offseason or the results will be the same next year as well

Once D'Brick gets a decent LG to help him I think he'll play much better. IMO he played better last year with Kendall helping him than this year where he's had to cover basically the entire left side. He still needs to put on a few pounds of muscle though and the Jets NEED to put him on a program to do that. But you're right, at the very least the Jets need substantial upgrades at least at the LG and RT positions in order to compete next year. I would suggest signing Faneca or Andrews and drafting one in the 2nd-3rd round that is capable of starting immediately.

One thing I noticed wathcing the game today was that D'Brick was actually assingned to block down into albert haynesworth, which in my opinion is testament to he fact that the Jets flat out know they have a huge gaping whole at guard. There were a number of times that I saw Ferguson on Haynesworth and we would try to line up a tightend to take on their D-End.

Just food for thought.

Once D'Brick gets a decent LG to help him I think he'll play much better. IMO he played better last year with Kendall helping him than this year where he's had to cover basically the entire left side. He still needs to put on a few pounds of muscle though and the Jets NEED to put him on a program to do that. But you're right, at the very least the Jets need substantial upgrades at least at the LG and RT positions in order to compete next year. I would suggest signing Faneca or Andrews and drafting one in the 2nd-3rd round that is capable of starting immediately.

The problem is you can't depend on that year in and year out. Look at the Pats and Colts. There starting OL for most of this year isn't the same as last year or the year before or the year before and so on.

If DBrick needs a great OL next to him to be good, he's rather useless. Yeah it would be nice, but Top 5 picks should make players around them better, not the other way around. It would be great if they brought in a decent guy to play next to him next season, but what if the guy gets injured or leaves after one year?

If you look around the NFL, most teams aren't starting the same 11 players year in and year out. If you have to depend on the same 11 players to win every year, you are doing a horrible job of coaching and bringing in talent.

The perfect example is the Colts. They had 4 new OL starting for them at one point this season compared to last year. Y They had like 9 new guys starting on defense compared to last year. If you add in all the lost players to free agency and injuries this year and suddenly you start to give the Dungy and that coaching staff a ton of credit and the GM huge amounts of credit for not only bringing in top starting talent, but backup players who can do the job. They might not be as good, but then again, they have 2 losses all year long.

The same can be said about the Pats over the years. The Eagles used to be in that same category.

Great teams find ways to replace players. The Jets find ways to collapse after losing Pete Kendall. So I don't buy the theory that 1 or 2 OL next season will improve this team. It might if there are no injuries. But once again, if the 4th pick in the draft needs a great OL next to him to be good, it kind of says he sucks.

Its not really his fault. We just have no talent. Theirs only so much you can do with such little talent.

I agree. The Jets O-line is completely devoid of talent outside of Mangold. Ferguson, Clarke(Montgomery or whatever bum Mangini decides to start at LG) and Moore and Clement are both average at best.

This line needs an overhaul fast.

Other than Mangold this whole line is a concern. D Brick is starting to concern me especially with his price tag. There need to be substantial upgrades this offseason or the results will be the same next year as well

Mangold is NOT exempt from blame. Sorry.

I love how D'Bricks the only scape goat for our problems. Its like I was saying before it shows how stupid some of you can be. He's only 23 and were calling him a bust? Are you kidding me? He shut down many elite DE's this year and last year and has played very well despite what some of you morons think. He's also playing the toughest position on the Oline and he rarely gets beat. You can't say that about the other 3 stooges that isn't named Nick Mangold. Mangold and Brick are both keepers and we need to find at least a couple solid players to help them out not big time studs but good players who could get the job done. Not some bums found off the scrap heap. I bet even Orlando Pace or Walter Jones wouldn't be as good playing next to the crap we have at LG.

I love how D'Bricks the only scape goat for our problems. Its like I was saying before it shows how stupid some of you can be. He's only 23 and were calling him a bust? Are you kidding me? He shut down many elite DE's this year and last year and has played very well despite what some of you morons think. He's also playing the toughest position on the Oline and he rarely gets beat. You can't say that about the other 3 stooges that isn't named Nick Mangold. Mangold and Brick are both keepers and we need to find at least a couple solid players to help them out not big time studs but good players who could get the job done. Not some bums found off the scrap heap. I bet even Orlando Pace or Walter Jones wouldn't be as good playing next to the crap we have at LG.

But it is ok to call Bush, Young, Leinart, Cutler busts? Come on now. If a top 5 pick needs the guy next to him to be great, he isn't that good. DBRICK should make players around him better, end of story. If he doesn't, he's just another avg OL, if that. You would expect more from the 4th pick in the draft.

D'Brick is only 22 so I can't really call him a bust. Not all top 5 picks are picked for their immediate impact. Some are 21 and will be further along at 23 than the 23 year old being drafted a few spots behind him. I still think he will be ok with another offseason and a better OG next to him. Tony Wise hasn't developed on OL in his 3 years here (he was a holdover from Herm I believe). He needs to take a lot of blame.

D'Brick is only 22 so I can't really call him a bust. Not all top 5 picks are picked for their immediate impact. Some are 21 and will be further along at 23 than the 23 year old being drafted a few spots behind him. I still think he will be ok with another offseason and a better OG next to him. Tony Wise hasn't developed on OL in his 3 years here (he was a holdover from Herm I believe). He needs to take a lot of blame.

I'm not calling DBrick a bust. I'm just calling him an avg OL at this point. He has shown nothing more than that. At least with Mangold we've seen a guy who could be a pro bowl OL.

And yeah, the OL coach with this team sucks.

I'm not calling DBrick a bust. I'm just calling him an avg OL at this point. He has shown nothing more than that. At least with Mangold we've seen a guy who could be a pro bowl OL.

I agree he has been average and even that he looked better last season. Perhaps that was because Kendall was there or perhaps our OL coach is THAT bad that he regressed. He is still young enough and talented enough to turn it around though. Mangold has been great so far.

But it is ok to call Bush, Young, Leinart, Cutler busts? Come on now. If a top 5 pick needs the guy next to him to be great, he isn't that good. DBRICK should make players around him better, end of story. If he doesn't, he's just another avg OL, if that. You would expect more from the 4th pick in the draft.

I never said they were all busts stop putting words in my mouth. I actually think they need more time as well before being called busts. 2nd I never said he needs a stud OG next to him. I said a good solid player who can run block good it doesn't have to be a pro bowl player. Anything better than what we currently have at LG would be an upgrade. That's how bad it is. An OLine is ONE UNIT DBrick can't magically make Adrien Clarke into a pro bowler if Clarke sucks.

Really can an average O Lineman shut down the elite pass rushers that he shut down this season and last? Besides LT is one of the toughest positions to play in the NFL. D'Brick is not the problem on this line.

BRICK allowed 10 sacks and a ton of pressures last year! It is never his fault!

What if d'brick is making the players around him better? How scary would the alternative be?

Semper fi

This is what I have been saying all season....if we do not get those horses up front...the backs go no place and the QB ends up on his back...if you are Pennington...you go ahead and throw into triple coverage ! I am also worried about Ferguson.....he is small for a LT... if he can play guard then we find another tackle... but being inside he needs another 25 lbs .... maybe a trade is in order while he still has good value....?

i fully agree with you in almost every instance. Looking at Manning, Pace, Ogden, these are guys that up everyone's level of play. Brick isn't at that level, but that's ok, IMO.

By putting a guy like Clarke next to brick, it is nearly impossible for anyone to be highly successful. I'm not one for excuses, or exceptions to rules, but playing clarke anywhere near an NFL team is well past a detrement.

Brick may never make it to Hawaii, but he will be more than solid for us in the coming years, as long as we get some talent at LG and RT.

BTW, i'm ok with Moore, he's not that bad, just a decent player, it reminds me of the other side of the line, having Clement as your line mate will get you in trouble.

2008 NYJ starting guards: #72 Jacob Bender and #75 Robert Turner. Read it and weep.

All top draft picks to shore up defense, except for one WR unless the Jets sign a FA WR then it'll be a tackle.

shore up the defense? yeah they need some help, but they are much closer to being a good unit than the offense.

shore up the defense? yeah they need some help, but they are much closer to being a good unit than the offense.

I agree that the defense is ahead of the offense but both need new personnel and i think Mangini will work first to 'complete' a defensive unit, which will require upgrades at OLB (Hobson is gone), DL (I dont see how they pick up Robertson's humongous 2008 salary, even if they think he can succeed in this defense; in any event they need another DE) and CB (Poteat, Dyson, Barrett are inconsistent, at best).

Because he has such a young offense I see EM upgrading the defense through th draft while signing an O-lineman (Hadnot, Andrews) and WR (several decent options) in FA. I think on Offense the Jets will be satisfied with Cotch, Baker, Jones, Leon, Brad, Clemens for 2008.

Archived