The Coles situation

4HCrew

As tough and physical as this player is on the field, off the field he is just as bad. These new long term contract demands are starting to piss me off. It always comes down to money with LC bottom line. He was soooo happy to come back to NY and get more money to do so, but used the being with Chad thing way too much. Now his weak armed buddy is no longer running the show and he needs a long term contract to retire with the Jets...BS...With the beatings he takes and his bad toe how the hell do you give this guy a new contract. He has been one of my favorite players but at this point it may be time to move on LC.

Coles has always whined. he whined in his first tour with the Jets, and he whined with the Redskins. and now he's whining again. why does this surprise anybody?

The facts are that his skills are declining and he's become injury prone. which means he's only going to get worse, not better. he has much better trade value now, and I'm sick of pouring money into cry baby's. If he doesn't want to be here he should be jettisoned.

always about money I agree, but his last 2 contracts he has been well compensated... it is part of the game but an aging wr that takes a beating, not sure if he should get it

The Jets can't afford to tie up a significant part of the salary cap in an aging WR. They need to get at least 2 offensive linemen, that is priority number one.

Absolutely.

I don't get my information from hand me downs..I get it straight from the source.

Yes we know you have contacts in the Jets organization, my bad. that's why you're always in the ticket forum asking for a parking pass.

Yes we know you have contacts in the Jets organization, my bad. that's why you're always in the ticket forum asking for a parking pass.

Tickets go to family..I'm nothing more than common folk.

But I did celebrate LC's birthday party last night with Jon, Big Kat, TJ, and are you ready for this..J-Abe.

And he didn't sprain an ankle dancing, either.

so what exactly are you guaranteeing..that he will be on the Jets under the same contract?

The fact is..he has 2 years remaining on his current deal. Worse comes to worse he plays that deal and walks. The Jets are in no hurry to extend him (they should be in a hurry to extend Rhodes, Washington and Harris..although Harris' deal will not come following a rookie season.)

Personally..he wants to be a Jet. As far as the organization goes..ehh..who knows?

I think the only way LC is not on the field for the Jets in '08 is if the Jags blow us away with an offer. But the stories about him complaining his way out of the organization are false.

Ras is right-we've seen this movie a thousand times-players we thought were invincible get to a point in their career where they start getting hurt and never get 100% healthy again. Coles has reached that point IMO-trade him now if we can-his value will never be any higher than it is right now, New Years Day 2008-oh yea and get a big name WR in here this off-season-I want Chad Johnson for Jon Vilma-if not then Bernard Berrian will fit the bill

ok do you see him openly complaining about his contract and holding out of OTAs and training camp? I think the fear is that another distraction like this ala Kendall is just not needed around the young players

He doesn't come off as that type of person..but it's easy to say that because it's not my money.

It's a business, and anything is possible.

Yeah I think hanging with his boys is one thing but money talks with LC and he is never bashful to bitch about it. The Jets cannot afford another offseason saga..

Just think of how far that extra million dollars would have went with PK.

The Jets lost so many close games..that could have been won with better protection for the QB..however it was.

K2C I was one of the few that was very vocal about keeping Kendall when all of the nonsense was going down. The Jets have the money to spend so if they could get a decent pick for Coles, avoid drama and replace him with a Chad Johson, Berrian or whatever I am not opposed to it. I just do not want to hear him bitch and moan all offseason and cause distractions, enough is enough.

By the way the Big Kat should be getting a tad nervous himself

In the article I read, Coles indicated that he would not be public distraction and would play out his contract if he had to. Of course, what he says in January and what he says in July are two different things. He has a nice contract now, there is no way you extend him or pay him more.

Hey Sperm any numbers on what he is making the next couple of years?

When we got him I think we gave him a new contract like 5 yrs/$25M. I think it was $5M in signing bonus, 2 yrs after the Redskins gave him a $13M SB. This means $1M comes off the cap each year from 2005-2009. With 2 years left on that deal, we would absorb $2M in dead cap space in '08 if he's traded before the draft.

I think he did a little restructuring in early 2006, but I'm not sure exactly. We may have given him $3M more in SB to lower his annual salaries, which would increase the "penalty" for releasing him early. $3M over the (then) 4 remaining years is $750K per year. 2 years left on that deal is $1.5M in dead cap space in '08 if he's traded before the draft.

Add the 2 #'s up and it seems if he's traded we absorb a 1-time hit of $3.5M to our 2008 cap (nothing in '09). However, this is a net savings over keeping him, which would be $1M + $750K + $5M scheduled salary = $6.75M cap space.

If we dropped or traded him after June 1st (or if he retires in frustration) then the $3.5M dead hit would be over 2 years, meaning we would save an additional $1.75M for '08, but would still have a dead $1.75M hit in '09.

If all of the above is correct (or pretty close anyway), the net cap hit for moving Coles prior to the '08 draft is a savings of $3.25M. There would be no cap hit at all in '09.

If we did it after June 1st (after the draft), we realize a net savings of $5M in 2008 and still have a $1.75M dead cap hit in '09 (which is pretty minimal these days).

The cost of KEEPING Coles under his current deal (if he's willing to play out) is:

2008: $6.75M

2009: $7.75M

When we got him I think we gave him a new contract like 5 yrs/$25M. I think it was $5M in signing bonus, 2 yrs after the Redskins gave him a $13M SB. This means $1M comes off the cap each year from 2005-2009. With 2 years left on that deal, we would absorb $2M in dead cap space in '08 if he's traded before the draft.

I think he did a little restructuring in early 2006, but I'm not sure exactly. We may have given him $3M more in SB to lower his annual salaries, which would increase the "penalty" for releasing him early. $3M over the (then) 4 remaining years is $750K per year. 2 years left on that deal is $1.5M in dead cap space in '08 if he's traded before the draft.

Add the 2 #'s up and it seems if he's traded we absorb a 1-time hit of $3.5M to our 2008 cap (nothing in '09). However, this is a net savings over keeping him, which would be $1M + $750K + $5M scheduled salary = $6.75M cap space.

If we dropped or traded him after June 1st (or if he retires in frustration) then the $3.5M dead hit would be over 2 years, meaning we would save an additional $1.75M for '08, but would still have a dead $1.75M hit in '09.

If all of the above is correct (or pretty close anyway), the net cap hit for moving Coles prior to the '08 draft is a savings of $3.25M. There would be no cap hit at all in '09.

If we did it after June 1st (after the draft), we realize a net savings of $5M in 2008 and still have a $1.75M dead cap hit in '09 (which is pretty minimal these days).

The cost of KEEPING Coles under his current deal (if he's willing to play out) is:

2008: $6.75M

2009: $7.75M

Thanks Sperm, you frickin rock dude!

Jets | Coles says team concerned about giving him an extension

Tue, 1 Jan 2008 12:55:52 -0800

Tom Rock, of Newsday, reports New York Jets WR Laveranues Coles (ankle) said the Jets told his agents that they are concerned about giving Coles a contract extension because of his age and his diminished production this season.

Jets | Coles says team concerned about giving him an extension

Tue, 1 Jan 2008 12:55:52 -0800

Tom Rock, of Newsday, reports New York Jets WR Laveranues Coles (ankle) said the Jets told his agents that they are concerned about giving Coles a contract extension because of his age and his diminished production this season.

They're right. and now he's going to start whining even though he's under contract. he should try living up to one of his contracts during his career. he constantly cries for renegotiating.

They're right. and now he's going to start whining even though he's under contract. he should try living up to one of his contracts during his career. he constantly cries for renegotiating.

Until he actually starts whining he should be treated better. He has been a great Ny Jet .

This will turn into another Kendall situation. he's a goner me thinks.

Considering he has never acted like Kendall did ,I don't see why he is a bad guy now.

He's the only guy on offense earning his paycheck besides Cotchery & Mangold.

Injury prone? He was the only WR to play in every game since 2000 until this season. He is far from done and our best offensive threat.If you think this offense took a huge hit with Kendall being dealt....just wait till they deal coles.

LC has been one of the better Jets players over the past 5 years or so. It doesn't bother me that he asks for more money. I don't get this philosophy of jealousy. If the guy wants more money, then he should ask for it. I've worked on a ton of contracts over the years in IT and when I want a raise or a new rate, I renegotiate or go looking for a new project when the current project is over.

LC's current project is over. If he wants to ask for more money for next season, so what. There are far too many jealous people who just see the money and get pissed cause they can't do that. I don't know, just get over yourselves already.

If the Jets choose not to give LC any more money, that's their prerogative too. If they think he's too old and injury prone, then that's what they think. I have no problem with that either. What I do have a problem with is this regime and previous regimes seem to be filled with idiots.

Dump Kendall but don't replace him. Dump Abe but don't replace him. If they dump Coles for like a 4th round pick, and don't bother to bring anybody else in, that's just stupid and cheap.

The combo of Cotchery, JMAC, Brad Smith, and Stuckey has the makings of a bad bad season, especially considering KC will still be a young QB with very little experience. Coles might not be TO or Moss, but he's better than anybody else the Jets have at WR.

Considering he has never acted like Kendall did ,I don't see why he is a bad guy now.

He's the only guy on offense earning his paycheck besides Cotchery & Mangold.

Injury prone? He was the only WR to play in every game since 2000 until this season. He is far from done and our best offensive threat.If you think this offense took a huge hit with Kendall being dealt....just wait till they deal coles.

He's had an attitude since way back. he had an attitude with the Redskins. he's been a very good player, yes. but are we going to keep living off his past accomplishments? he's degrading, and he's worth more now than he will be later on.

Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better.

LC has been one of the better Jets players over the past 5 years or so. It doesn't bother me that he asks for more money. I don't get this philosophy of jealousy. If the guy wants more money, then he should ask for it. I've worked on a ton of contracts over the years in IT and when I want a raise or a new rate, I renegotiate or go looking for a new project when the current project is over.

LC's current project is over. If he wants to ask for more money for next season, so what. There are far too many jealous people who just see the money and get pissed cause they can't do that. I don't know, just get over yourselves already.

If the Jets choose not to give LC any more money, that's their prerogative too. If they think he's too old and injury prone, then that's what they think. I have no problem with that either. What I do have a problem with is this regime and previous regimes seem to be filled with idiots.

Dump Kendall but don't replace him. Dump Abe but don't replace him. If they dump Coles for like a 4th round pick, and don't bother to bring anybody else in, that's just stupid and cheap.

The combo of Cotchery, JMAC, Brad Smith, and Stuckey has the makings of a bad bad season, especially considering KC will still be a young QB with very little experience. Coles might not be TO or Moss, but he's better than anybody else the Jets have at WR.

He's got 2 more years on his contract and you think it's ok to renegotiate? don't you think that will set a bad precedent? everybody will want to renegotiate. with 1 year left I have no problem, but 2 years? **** him.

He's had an attitude since way back. he had an attitude with the Redskins. he's been a very good player, yes. but are we going to keep living off his past accomplishments? he's degrading, and he's worth more now than he will be later on.

Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better.

He's degrading? How can anyone say that with the offense this yr and the QB situation playing out how it did?

He's got 2 more years on his contract and you think it's ok to renegotiate? don't you think that will set a bad precedent? everybody will want to renegotiate. with 1 year left I have no problem, but 2 years? **** him.

It's a business. So if the Jets cut him and dump him to the curb, he doesn't get those remaining 2 years. This is life in 2008. Everything is "at will." If I sign a two year contract but the company cuts the project after 1 year, I'm not getting paid and I'm out of a job. Maybe it's not the right way to do things, but like I said, it's 2008, it always is about your own best interest. If Coles thinks he has a few more years left to make as much as he can, then why should I hold that against him.

It's all a business. The Jets want to make money and so does Coles. I could care less if either just want to make money as long as they do their jobs. Coles played hurt this year. He's played hurt in the past.

And didn't they renegotiate Thomas Jones contract before he ever played a down for the NY Jets?

Archived