Senior Bowl thread

bitonti

I think the senior bowl will mix stuff up a little bit and the top 5 picks in the NFL draft may not be what we thought they would. The Jets will get someone they want and need.

I hope you dont mean Mcfadden there. I dont want him. TJ ran for 1100 yards with a putrid OL, hes our back.

GET GHOLSTON!!!!

Gholston at 6 is a huge reach considering his current draft stock. Not at all worth it IMHO.

I fail to see how Gholston's stock is so low that him at #6 is considered a huge reach, let alone a reach. NFLDC has him going #6, Kiper has him going #6 and the guy who i pay more attention and respect more than any of the "draft experts" mike mayock has him as the second best DE in the draft. You may not feel he is worth the #6, but you can't say that his stock is low. This week there wasn't a single player who stood up and said i can be the best pass rushing OLB (bruce davis did alright in my eyes) so as of now he is the #1 pass rushing OLB and i don't see his stock getting any lower.

I fail to see how Gholston's stock is so low that him at #6 is considered a huge reach, let alone a reach. NFLDC has him going #6, Kiper has him going #6 and the guy who i pay more attention and respect more than any of the "draft experts" mike mayock has him as the second best DE in the draft. You may not feel he is worth the #6, but you can't say that his stock is low. This week there wasn't a single player who stood up and said i can be the best pass rushing OLB (bruce davis did alright in my eyes) so as of now he is the #1 pass rushing OLB and i don't see his stock getting any lower.

Gholston is a beast we will regret passing on him ecspecialy if NE* gets him. And on footballsfuture.com so many of the mock drafts have gholston going to us at #6.

how did a senior bowl thread turn into a gholston thread? lol what did vernon gholston do tonight. oil up his guns and flex in the mirror?

:character0293:

as for the game where people actually played football

Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie is the cousin of Antonio, not brother -an outstanding athlete. They played him at safety during the week and corner during the game - ridiculous vertical leap on the Int and excellent pass break up - was doing the same thing all week - I had him as a late first rounder before this week, now with combines he could be number one corner off the board. He's also a 60 yard sprint champ.

LB Dan Connor had a heady interception, CB Tribble had 2 passes defended, I like both of those guys. Cb Iowa Charles Godfrey will be a player in the league, little doubt about that. DB Demps from Utep also flashed with a nice interception

Wake Forest Jeremy Thompson is an underrated athlete and good 3-4 OLB sleeper. I also like Purdue's Cliff Avril and Miss State's Titus Brown but not sure if either are big enough for 3-4. Both are more natural pass rushers than Thompson.

I'm not as huge a fan as Sedrick Ellis as some, he seems like a better Broderick Bunkley or Mike Patterson and needs to be in a slanting aggressive blitzing 4-3 rotation to really reach potential. He made a-lot of plays at USC but a good OL can shut him down. There was no Nick Mangold's at this year's senior bowl - I disagree with Mayock who ranked him above DOpsey and don't think he's really a great fit at nose tackle in a 3-4.

UNC DT Kentwan Ballmer wasn't in the game but looked great in his one practice, the extra 20 pounds he showed at the weigh in should make him a first rounder.

Iowa St Ahtyba Rubin the NT made big play on 4th down and Red Bryant has a mean attitude. Both players as well as Maryland Dre Moore are big, powerful and can two gap, all three are in play to be picked top 60.

Cal WR Lavelle Hawkins = poor man's Steve Smith, solid 2nd rounder. New Mexico WR Henry Smith catches everything and also made two special team tackles. Tenn TE Brad Cottom has great potential, runs very well for a 270 pound player, just needs to stay healthy. Missouri TE Martin Rucker is a very safe bet, does everything pretty well and has the blood lines.

Tulane RB Matt Forte would be instantly the best short yardage runner on the Jets roster, just by showing up. Same could be said for LSU RB Jacob Hester. Okla State RB Dantrell Savage is a hard runner and USC's Chauncey Washington will have a better pro career than college.

as for the OL - Vanderbilt's Chris Williams. Boston College Cherilus also played LT and did a decent job. Easy not to notice USC Sam Baker because all he does is his job at LT. these three are late first/early second on my board but all should be gone by Jets at 2.6

OT Heath Benedict, Newberry College is raw technically but a pretty good athlete who shows toughness. Don't be surprised if he runs well at Indy and makes himself a solid 2nd round pick. Nebraska OT Carl Nicks spent most of his reps at left tackle and responded. He's probably moving up boards to late second/early 3rd. Northern Iowa Chad Reinhart responded well to the coaching this week and got better quickly. Solid pass protector - would be a likely 3rd or 4th round pick and instant upgrade over whoever the Jets deem is their starting left guard these days.

Iowa St Ahtyba Rubin the NT made big play on 4th down and Red Bryant has a mean attitude. Both players as well as Maryland Dre Moore are big, powerful and can two gap, all three are in play to be picked top 60.

I would love for the Jets to draft one of these guys.

Chris Long in the first round plus one of these guys later and the Jets will really have something on defense.

Most of the current NFL NT were about Ellis's weight in college. Ellis can flat out play. Did you see him penetrate on that safety ?

Re-read what I wrote and then pay attention to what you just said. Penetration? That's not what you mutts are looking for. Nobody penetrates by blasting a double or triple team straight back. DRob and Mosley are both capable penetrators. My point about Ellis is that if he was only 308 at the Senior Bowl I don't think he's going to be able to carry too much more weight. He already looked a little tubby. Ellis is a great prospect, I just don't think he's ever going to be the 340 lb monster at NT you all are envisioning.

Nice post Bit. I agree 100% with everything.

Was anyone else impressed with Eric Ainge? I think he showed me something and if the Jets are really not sold on Clemens he would not make a bad selection in 3rd-4th rounds.

If Rodgers-Cromartie has a great combine and his injury that he limped off with was nothing big I would not mind him at 6 at all. It would give us two great corners with playmaking potential. Obviously we would need to then fill 3 or 4 other needs through the rest of the draft and free agency.

Was anyone else impressed with Eric Ainge? I think he showed me something and if the Jets are really not sold on Clemens he would not make a bad selection in 3rd-4th rounds.

If Rodgers-Cromartie has a great combine and his injury that he limped off with was nothing big I would not mind him at 6 at all. It would give us two great corners with playmaking potential. Obviously we would need to then fill 3 or 4 other needs through the rest of the draft and free agency.

before the game he was expected to go early 3rd round, and some thought we would get him there, I dont think he'll jump up to the top 10. The only team who may take him in the top10 is the pats*, I say we stay with Gholston.

before the game he was expected to go early 3rd round, and some thought we would get him there, I dont think he'll jump up to the top 10. The only team who may take him in the top10 is the pats*, I say we stay with Gholston.

Ahhh, you never know. D Rob jumped from noplace to the top 10. It happens every year. This is why they have these games and combines. I didn't see anyone on the field I would rather have than DRC yesterday and apparently that was the feeling throughout the week.

Ahhh, you never know. D Rob jumped from noplace to the top 10. It happens every year. This is why they have these games and combines. I didn't see anyone on the field I would rather have than DRC yesterday and apparently that was the feeling throughout the week.

My plan for the draft is first round get a DE like Vernon Gholston

2nd round get an OL, like Gosder Cherilous, or Baker, or Jeff Otah( But i'd rather have Cherilous there)

and in the 3rd round attack for a corner, but because of Cromarties game, he defineately moved up into the second round. So I say trade vilma to cincinatti for their second round pick, or trade someone for an early second round pick and then we get Cherilous with ours , and Cromartie with the other team, then in the third round we can grab a solid slot receiver like Jordy Nelson.

My plan for the draft is first round get a DE like Vernon Gholston

2nd round get an OL, like Gosder Cherilous, or Baker, or Jeff Otah( But i'd rather have Cherilous there)

and in the 3rd round attack for a corner, but because of Cromarties game, he defineately moved up into the second round. So I say trade vilma to cincinatti for their second round pick, or trade someone for an early second round pick and then we get Cherilous with ours , and Cromartie with the other team, then in the third round we can grab a solid slot receiver like Jordy Nelson.

Gholston doesn't look like the type of potential game changer that you want to give top 10 money to. With Ellis getting moved into the top 5, it looks like we have a shot at Dorsey, J Long, C Long, RUN DMC, M Ryan or Ellis. If DMC or M Ryan wind up in our lap at 6 we will have huge trade down potential, then Gholston becomes an option. Even then though he was not even the best 3-4 DE/OLB on the field yesterday imho.

I like your second round pick choices. Although if a WR like Sweed drops to the early second I might want to take a chance with him.

Cromartie is a first round lock at this point, imo. Look at his cousin who was hurt and shot up the boards this time of the year. He is no longer a sleeper. The only way he doesn't get drafted in the 1st is if he robs a bank between now and the draft or runs a 40 higher than 4.4.

yes RS-Ainge was clearly the best QB out there all day-he did what all good quarterbacks are SUPPOSED to do-win the game when the game is on the line. Cromartie was the best DB out there and that kid from USC Ellis and the Notre Dame D-linemen Laws were also impressive

bitonti, thanks for the write up. Great job on breaking it down. And like you, I believe this is where we find good football players not in the combine.

F' the combine. :wild:I for one hate it. (as if you couldn't tell ;) ) . Every year, because of the combine, some idiot "rockets" up the draft board. My question is: Where the %&*# was he all year? Great the guy has 4.3 speed, can he actually run a pattern correctly? Can he actually catch a friggin ball? If he's THAT good of a football player SOMEONE would have noticed by February. :soapbox:There, I'm done. :)

Re-read what I wrote and then pay attention to what you just said. Penetration? That's not what you mutts are looking for. Nobody penetrates by blasting a double or triple team straight back. DRob and Mosley are both capable penetrators. My point about Ellis is that if he was only 308 at the Senior Bowl I don't think he's going to be able to carry too much more weight. He already looked a little tubby. Ellis is a great prospect, I just don't think he's ever going to be the 340 lb monster at NT you all are envisioning.

Dom, You must have missed my post earlier here when I was advocating having Ellis and D'Rob in a 4/3 . I don't think Ellis would ever fit the bill as a NT in a 3/4. I' don't think he can carry the weight.

F' the combine. :wild:I for one hate it. (as if you couldn't tell ;) ) . Every year, because of the combine, some idiot "rockets" up the draft board. My question is: Where the %&*# was he all year? Great the guy has 4.3 speed, can he actually run a pattern correctly? Can he actually catch a friggin ball? If he's THAT good of a football player SOMEONE would have noticed by February. :soapbox:There, I'm done. :)

The combine has it's place. For every player you whine about rocketing up the board based on speed there is a guy like Peter Warrick or Dwayne Jarret that people think is fast running a 4.6. Those guys don't cut it in the NFL any better than the "workout warriors". It doesn't hurt to find guys like Chris Henry that have been stuck behind people on the depth chart but are physical monsters. Will Henry pan out? Who knows, but it'd be a shame if he never got a shot because some coach didn't like him or he matured late.

Dom, You must have missed my post earlier here when I was advocating having Ellis and D'Rob in a 4/3 . I don't think Ellis would ever fit the bill as a NT in a 3/4. I' don't think he can carry the weight.

I wasn't replying to your post, but Irish. He stated that most current NTs were 305 coming out and bulked up. I think Ellis looks pretty "bulked up" already.

Archived