The Pats have NOT franchised Randy Moss

Irish Jet

No tag on Moss

Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff February 21, 2008 04:26 PM

The deadline for placing franchise tags on players has passed, and the Patriots have not tagged WR Randy Moss.

That could mean that the sides have agreed to a multi-year contract. Yet a multi-year contract can not be announced until the 2008 league year begins Feb. 29, because players can not extend/restructure more than once in a league year. Moss had restructured his deal in April to consummate his trade to New England

:character0255:

Interesting.

ESPN Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3257298

The New England Patriots did not place their franchise tag on wide receiver Randy Moss on Thursday, technically leaving Moss open to free agency on Feb. 29.

The Patriots are apparently gambling that they could come to terms with Moss on a new contract so he can remain with the team.

Moss restructured his contract, dropping his base salary from $10 million to $3 million, to accommodate last April's trade from the Oakland Raiders to the Patriots. Moss earned an additional $2 million on incentives after breaking Jerry Rice's single-season record with 23 touchdown receptions.

Quarterback Tom Brady has indicated he wants Moss to return, and Moss has talked all season long about how much he liked playing for the Patriots.

Also at the deadline Thursday for NFL teams to franchise players, the Dallas Cowboys placed their tag on safety Ken Hamlin instead of left tackle Flozell Adams.

Hamlin received a one-year tender of $4.396 million. If a team tries to sign him, the Cowboys would have seven days to match an offer. The signing team then would have to surrender two-first-round picks to get Hamlin.

They're looking to re-sign him, hopefully he looks for a lot of $$$.

ESPN Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3257298

They're looking to re-sign him, hopefully he looks for a lot of $$$.

Then he knows he is going elsewhere.

I imagine, if fhe is signed, it will be for a contract like the one Dillon signed.

A fair contract compared to other WRs.

Not top dollar, but enough where he is not too far from the top.

A point in the contract where it is econmicallt sane for the Patriots to cut him if he gets old real quick.

Reiss on ther Globe said it could also mean a deal is in place. NFL rules preclude two restructres in a year.

Remember guys, NE can NOT sign him to a new deal until free agency starts because he restructured last yr... So they couldn't have signed him to a long term deal today if they wanted to. They have to wait til 2/29. (they could hve franchised him)

If he wants the Super Bowl Ring, he should sign with either the Colts or the Cowboys. TO and Moss on the same team? I don't care how damn good your pass rush is, that's going to be a hell of a job to hold them down all game.

Moss is on the right team for a ring. The Pats arent going anywhere.

2008 AFC playoff contenders.

AFCE - Pats

AFCN - Pitt, Cleveland

AFCW - SD

AFCS - Indy,Tenn,Jax

AFCE - Pats

AFCN - Pitt, Cleveland

AFCW - SD

AFCS - Indy,Tenn,Jax

LOL, yeah it's all gonna be the same as last year.:roll:

I gaurantee that A) One of those teams will be terrible in 08

and B) One team will come from nowhere and be a surprise playoff team.

Every year that happens. Every year!!!

AFCE - Pats

AFCN - Pitt, Cleveland

AFCW - SD

AFCS - Indy,Tenn,Jax

You think Dom Capers can get it done? With Belly staring at a suspension Moss should swim to shore. The ship is sinking.

AFCE - Pats

AFCN - Pitt, Cleveland

AFCW - SD

AFCS - Indy,Tenn,Jax

You're forgetting, the NFL won't let you cheat anymore. After this thing with Walsh gets exposed, Goodell is losing his job, and every enabler is gone.

The Colts were seriously injured this year, they get everyone back. I hate Peyton Manning and the Colts so it's not like I root for them, check my post history and it's obvious. The Colts are just going to be better, period, especially with Moss. The Cowboys are already an offensive powerhouse, and they're looking to upgrade, plus Romo has another year of experience. I hate the Cowboys too.

Don't act like the Patriots, who LOST this year are the guaranteed SB winner next year. Idiot.

You're forgetting, the NFL won't let you cheat anymore. After this thing with Walsh gets exposed, Goodell is losing his job, and every enabler is gone.

The Colts were seriously injured this year, they get everyone back. I hate Peyton Manning and the Colts so it's not like I root for them, check my post history and it's obvious. The Colts are just going to be better, period, especially with Moss. The Cowboys are already an offensive powerhouse, and they're looking to upgrade, plus Romo has another year of experience. I hate the Cowboys too.

Don't act like the Patriots, who LOST this year are the guaranteed SB winner next year. Idiot.

How is it fair for Goddell to lose his job if the cheating has been going on for years, and only went on for 1 game under his regime.

How is it fair for Goddell to lose his job if the cheating has been going on for years, and only went on for 1 game under his regime.

why

because he did an idiotic thing by destroying evidence!!!

With all this being said, i have extreme doubts whether this tape exists!!!

was the rams security that lax to allow some lacky to videotape them.

They aren't, but lets put away the JN Wishing and a Hoping Fairy to.

The Patriots even with out Moss are still a good team. While the Giants may have shown a blue print on how to beat the Patriots, few if any team have the personnel to execute that game plan.

The Patriots will be back next year. Seriously, who in the AFC East is going to make that leap? The Colts are a threat as is the Chargers. The same three that were favorites last season will be in 2008. I am not ignoring the Steelers or Jags. The AFC is still loaded, no doubt. It is not like the Patriots are gpoing away anytime soon.

A) Cleveland

B) Houston

The Patriots even with out Moss are still a good team. While the Giants may have shown a blue print on how to beat the Patriots, few if any team have the personnel to execute that game plan.

The Patriots will be back next year. Seriously, who in the AFC East is going to make that leap? The Colts are a threat as is the Chargers. The same three that were favorites last season will be in 2008. I am not ignoring the Steelers or Jags. The AFC is still loaded, no doubt. It is not like the Patriots are gpoing away anytime soon.

You are both completely ignoring the NFC, who WON the Super Bowl this year. The Cowboys are just as much of a threat as the Patriots are, especially with Moss. And if Favre comes back another year? Add the Pack with Moss to that list as well. Moss can get his ring in a number of places. The bottom line is you just don't know who wins in the playoffs. You need to be good, and you also need momentum, and some luck. The Giants got hot at the right time, but you don't know who gets hot next year. The Pats got hot for that first SB win and had that luck factor too, then won 2 more SBs and then nothing. It could be the Giants that go on the run next.

Or it could be a team that nobody is expecting. Like the Rams of a few years ago. The Panthers were injured, maybe they make another run now. The Bengals, maybe they fix a few problems and are a different team. The Broncos? This'll be Year 3 in the league for Cutler, that's usually the year a QB makes that huge leap. Maybe VY puts it together, and it's the Titans. Or how about the Ravens?

Way, way, way too many teams for anyone to be guaranteed. The AFC East is just super weak right now, i admit the Pats look like the most likely team to get out of there, but you dunno, what if KC develops, and the O-line is fixed in one year? What if everything just clicks for the Jets? What if Parcells job in Miami is exceptional and he takes the AFC East? No guarantee on the Pats, none whatsoever.

Fruitcake:bwahaharoll:

The Colts were seriously injured this year, they get everyone back. I hate Peyton Manning and the Colts so it's not like I root for them, check my post history and it's obvious

Root for the JETS???? NO, no good. Oh.

The Colts are just going to be better, period, especially with Moss. The Cowboys are already an offensive powerhouse, and they're looking to upgrade, plus Romo has another year of experience. I hate the Cowboys too.

Hey, howabout the JETS? I heard they have an awesome chant. They suck? Oh.

Hey Idiot, take some windex to those coke bottle glasses.

A) Cleveland

B) Houston

Buffalo's got a chance at a Wild Card as well if they can stay relatively healthy. The dolphins may also improve under a new regime. Look for them to win at least 3 games this year. :Nuts:

Fruitcake:bwahaharoll:

Root for the JETS???? NO, no good. Oh.

Hey, howabout the JETS? I heard they have an awesome chant. They suck? Oh.

Hey Idiot, take some windex to those coke bottle glasses.

Dude why dont you get your stupid ass back to the Gayriots forms and stop trying to look for attention from the Jets fans.

Oh wait i forgot your team is 18-0 CHOKERS, and is about to be exposed infront of the hole world for cheating in the last 3 Superbowls OOOOOOOOOH... Prehaps i think your a banwagon fan?

Get lost fag

It COULD mean that they have a long deal in place, or it COULD mean Randy might want to test the market to see just how much money he could get. The Patriots have only a little over $11 million of salary cap and hold the 7th overall selection. Needless to say, they will not be big spenders this offseason.

1 There are 7 teams on that list. So ya, thanks for pointing out the obvious that 1 team wont make it.

2 Which AFC playoff team came from nowwhere (as you say)in 2007?

1 There are 7 teams on that list. So ya, thanks for pointing out the obvious that 1 team wont make it.

2 Which AFC playoff team came from nowwhere (as you say)in 2007?

If it weren't for the Indianapolis Colts benching their starters to let the pathetic Tennessee Titans in, it would've been the Cleveland Browns. The Titans? Honesly I don't think anyone saw them making the playoffs either. But once again, their running game and defense made the team and Vince Intereception Young was just along for the ride.

If it weren't for the Indianapolis Colts benching their starters to let the pathetic Tennessee Titans in, it would've been the Cleveland Browns. The Titans? Honesly I don't think anyone saw them making the playoffs either. But once again, their running game and defense made the team and Vince Intereception Young was just along for the ride.

Tenn was 8 - 8 in 2006. Another 2 wins isnt a giant leap out of nowhere when you have a franchise QB and a HC like Fisher. The Titans are finally out of cap trouble and they do a commendable job in the draft.

Archived