Mangini declares QB war - NorthJersey.com

Mangini declares QB war

Friday, February 22, 2008

VINNY DITRANI

STAFF WRITER

INDIANAPOLIS -- One year ago Eric Mangini stepped onto the podium at the NFL combine and announced Chad Pennington would be the Jets' starting quarterback.

He did not repeat the performance Thursday.

While the Jets' coach still exhibited a liking for his more experienced signal-caller, he said the competition for the starting job will be open between Pennington and Kellen Clemens in 2008.

"We will be able to look at that season during OTAs, training camp and the preseason games," Mangini said, "and then make the evaluation about what gives us the best chance to win."

Mangini dismissed any thought Pennington might be traded by saying he likes his attitude and what he brings to the team.

"I feel very good about Chad Pennington," he said, "and there's a lot of things I've talked about with him about his huddle presence, leadership and a lot of the things he has been able to do.

"One of the things I really like about Chad is he wants to be the starter. That's what you want with any person on your team is that desire to be your starter. You respect that, and I definitely respect that with Chad."

But Clemens also had his points.

"Kellen had a really good off-season last year," Mangini said. "He did some good things in training camp, he did some good things with the opportunities he had during the course of the season. He's another guy who is going to work hard in the off-season."

Getting the quarterback situation settled is one task Mangini must accomplish to turn his team from the 4-12 aggregation of 2007 back to the 10-6 group of the previous season. "It's something that happens each year and something I talked about after the playoff game in 2006," he said.

"You don't get to start at 10-6, and fortunately you don't get to start at 4-12. You start at the same spot as everyone else. The important thing to us is to try to learn from each season, each one of these experiences we have, to put together a better plan and a better process going into the next season."

That plan for 2008 has been proceeding well, Mangini said, with the combine and upcoming free agency the next steps in the process.

There is some unfinished business carrying over from 2007, however, with wide receiver Laveranues Coles' unhappiness over his contract situation and linebacker Jonathan Vilma's rehabilitation from knee surgery.

Coles recently said he was disappointed by promises he said the Jets failed to keep. The comments in some ways surprised Mangini since he had a constructive conversation with his No. 1 wideout before Coles' recent comments.

"Laveranues and I have a very good relationship," he said. "I wanted to get his feedback on the season. He was one of the most impressive guys who I've been around who transitioned into that captain's role. I thought he embraced it and did a great job representing the players while working to move the organization forward."

But business is business, Mangini added. And he intends to sit down with Coles when the wide receiver reports to the off-season program.

"Contract situations, we're not the only team that has encountered these things," he said. "That's the business side of football. I understand it, and like I said, L.C. and I have a very good relationship and I look forward to that relationship continuing to grow."

As for Vilma, Mangini said the one-time star of the Jets' defense continues to work back from the knee injury he suffered in the seventh game against Cincinnati which eventually required surgery. That injury allowed rookie David Harris to become one of the few bright spots in the 2007 season and had some wondering whether Vilma

I think *THAT* sounds like wishful thinking on your part. Chad Pennington will start Game 1 for the 2008 Jets. Teehee, mark it down Spermy.

Yes I admit I wish that.

I also don't buy that Mangini thought Pennington deserved the bench last year & then truly likes the idea of starting the following year, regardless of whether or not he beats out the great Kellen Clemens in camp.

Pennington = gone to anyone offering us a day one pick. 50/50 if the top offer is a 4th rounder. He stays if no one offers more than a 5th. That's what I think, not merely what I wish.

Yes I admit I wish that.

I also don't buy that Mangini thought Pennington deserved the bench last year & then truly likes the idea of starting the following year, regardless of whether or not he beats out the great Kellen Clemens in camp.

Pennington = gone to anyone offering us a day one pick. 50/50 if the top offer is a 4th rounder. He stays if no one offers more than a 5th. That's what I think, not merely what I wish.

The new "day-one" includes rounds one and two.

Yep. Minnesotta has no one else to put behind center. ;)

You can't give up on a QB that fast. I think Tarvaris Jackson has potential. After being burned on Eli because of the "crowd", I'm gonna stick to my guns on this one. I don't care what you people say, Jackson is going to be good.

You can't give up on a QB that fast. I think Tarvaris Jackson has potential. After being burned on Eli because of the "crowd", I'm gonna stick to my guns on this one. I don't care what you people say, Jackson is going to be good.

You can't give up on a player you're not invested in. I too think TJ might make for a good QB.... I just dont five a guck.

Eric Mangini is going to do what is in the best interest of the New York Jets..whether Chad goes or stays it depends on what is best for the club..If a great deal comes along listen to the offer, if it doesn't Chad is in camp fighting for a starting spot like every other position guy.

Are we winning a superbowl in 2008? No. So who cares who's backing up Clemens for a year? And if Chad was to beat him out in camp we're STILL not winning it all. There are simply too many holes on the team to warrant burning $5M in salary on a backup QB or a starter who's getting you nowhere.

QB aside, this team could stand to use upgrades/help at RB, FB, WR, LG, RG, RT, LDE, NT, ILB, OLBx2, CB, and FS. But sure, keeping Pennington is worthwhile.

If we can get anything at all for him, take it. Even a 5th-rounder, though I think he'll command a 3rd (give or take a round). Few FA QB's plus no "the next great one" QB prospects plus a bunch of otherwise solid teams with lousy/shaky QB's = Chad Pennington has decent trade value.

Too bad we had to go and ruin it by having an actual season, eh?

Its a shame Chad Put Put Pennington could lead the team to only one victory. But hey, he was throwing up 4th quarter INT's like they were going out of style, so thats something positive to look upon right? We can just blame the kicker or the defense who only let up 17 points for that mistake. But, if Kellen does it its because he's too young or he's a bust, after seven starts, mostly without a 50% Coles or without him at all.

:rolleyes:

This sounds like bull***t so people don't start out with lowball 5th-round trade offers for Chad.

That made me laugh. I agree with your post. But I laughed because I think you meant to say, PLEASE LET THAT BE B.S.

If Chad is back you will be fun to watch. :rl:

Archived