***JETS SIGN DAMIEN WOODY - 5 YEARS / $25.5M***

hellcat

Holy sheet

This is great

unbelievable... this is amazing.. I think its like a snowball effect... once you pick up some impact players...players start to see you mean buisness... and you want to win.. very attractive for a free agent... Parcells eats crow in miami..

Pace obviously looked at what we did and decided that newyork was the place for him..

....no offense here people - don't want to be viewed as a Patsie Fan Jets hater - but if your going to put a weight clause on any of your o-lineman, Woody would be the one. Trust me..

Regardless, the Jets have completely erased their biggest problem. Great off season thus far for you guys.

How much frreakin' cap-room did you guys have anyway? Holy moly!

Do you think these moves means you will trade out of your current first round position?

....no offense here people - don't want to be viewed as a Patsie Fan Jets hater - but if your going to put a weight clause on any of your o-lineman, Woody would be the one. Trust me..

Regardless, the Jets have completely erased their biggest problem. Great off season thus far for you guys.

Do you think these moves means you will trade out of your current first round position?

I have no idea yet. We'll get back to you as soon as we finish snagging Moss away. Got a number we can reach you at to discuss this?:Nuts:

I have no idea yet. We'll get back to you as soon as we finish snagging Moss away. Got a number we can reach you at to discuss this?:Nuts:

who's throwing him the ball? :Nuts:

Local papers just posted that Moss is oh-so close to signing a 3 year- 27 mil deal. Guess the hang-up was the up-front bonus $ - it always is since that is the only money that is GUARANTEED.

Still need an ILB and a corner, though.

With DRob's departure it was over $30M. But more than that, there weren't any enormous motherload-type hits looming in the future like Arizona had with Fitzgerald this year (or like we had with Pennington last year). That's what happens when you play it cheap for a few years in a row.

....no offense here people - don't want to be viewed as a Patsie Fan Jets hater - but if your going to put a weight clause on any of your o-lineman, Woody would be the one. Trust me..Regardless, the Jets have completely erased their biggest problem. Great off season thus far for you guys.

Whats to take offense about? You're telling the truth.

Honestly, if they put a weight clause on Jenkins, I cant see them NOT putting one on a lesser guy like Woody(although I like him, Im just stating, he's not the calibur of Faneca or Jenkins).

Im beyond blown away at this point. All along while talking about adding a couple players, I scoffed at the idea of being able to contend NEXT YEAR. Fact is, I think we can now. Get a playmaker on offense, thats the most vital thing now. And I do NOT mean McFadden.

Great signing. Either they now move out Moore and put Woody at RG with a 2nd round RT taken the place of Clement or they stick with Moore at RG and put Woody at RT. For the money he's getting I'd say they stick with Woody at RT.

unbelievable... this is amazing.. I think its like a snowball effect... once you pick up some impact players...players start to see you mean buisness... and you want to win.. very attractive for a free agent... Parcells eats crow in miami..

Pace obviously looked at what we did and decided that newyork was the place for him..

great post FT-I agree with what you said about it being a cumulative thing-at the least free agents who are out there looking for a best team scenario will SEE that the Jets mean business this year and are doing everything any fan or prospective FA would want to see a team doing. By being pro active it will only attract MORE good players to have a look-see at the Jets. Now if we can somehow finagle a deal with The Bengals for Chad Johnson.......

Great signing. Either they now move out Moore and put Woody at RG with a 2nd round RT taken the place of Clement or they stick with Moore at RG and put Woody at RT. For the money he's getting I'd say they stick with Woody at RT.

Dude, no way is Woody a tackle. Uh-uh.

I actually heard something last night about Faneca being swayed a bit by the aggressiveness of the FO so far.

Dude, no way is Woody a tackle. Uh-uh.

He played there for the final 5 games of '07 after not playing up to ability at RG. The Jets didn't sign him to that type of deal to be their Right Guard. Brandon Moore is serviceable and a fine RG. He will be the Right Tackle.

This deal is much more expensive than I was expecting. I understand there was competition for Pace and Faneca, but for Damien Woody?, I am surprised at the number.

Yeah we're probably overpaying for Woody but unlike Thomas Jones Woody can be an effective player for us for the next 4-5 years. He can definitely play Guard at an effective level until he's 35.

He played there for the final 5 games of '07 after not playing up to ability at RG. The Jets didn't sign him to that type of deal to be their Right Guard. Brandon Moore is serviceable and a fine RG. He will be the Right Tackle.

He got hurt - didn't play at all, and when he came back they put him at tackle. Right?

Anyway, he's got weight issues and he's not the most athletic lineman out there - even though he's a BC guy - maybe that's why I don't like him? LOL! Seriously though, I can't see this guy at tackle. But as JonE says, if the vastly over-rated Matt Light can be - ah, forgetaboutit - I just can't see it.

I've been known to be wrong though. ;)

Yeah we're probably overpaying for Woody but unlike Thomas Jones Woody can be an effective player for us for the next 4-5 years. He can definitely play Guard at an effective level until he's 35.

Agreed...we'll still need to draft a RT either this year or next year (preferably this year with how deep the draft is at RT).

At this point I think I might jump on the McFadden bandwagon. I'd rather go BAP,and if he's there, there's no question who BAP is. Now,if Dallas is legitimately looking to move up for him with those two 1sts, I wouldn't mind going with Rodgers-Cromartie and Hardy at the end of of rd 1, and Gosder Cherilios at the top of rd 2.

Of course, what happens if McFadden,Long,and Gholston are all gone at 6 and no one wants to trade up? Do we try Ellis/Dorsey at 3-4 DE? Do we reach for Mckelvin or one of the other top CBs?

I almost feel bad for you guys. I really do. This is like watching the Titanic heading for that glacier. Knowing that no matter how much you yell and try to warn them they're not going to hear you. After NE and Detroit I never thought I would see anyone excited to have Damian Woody.

Well considering he was the 1st move we made I wouldn't really trust the legitamacy of what you heard, lol.

Considering the Jets were already going after him, Jenkins, Rogers, and every other FA and/or trade block guy out there--I'd actually put some legitamacy to it. Keep in mind, he obviously had contact with Tangini, and probably wanted to know if they were serious.

edit--by serious, I mean, I doubt he wanted to go to a team that wasnt going to be a contender. He's used to it in Pittsburgh, and I doubt he wanted to go to a team like, say, the Oakland Raiders

Considering the Jets were already going after him, Jenkins, Rogers, and every other FA and/or trade block guy out there--I'd actually put some legitamacy to it. Keep in mind, he obviously had contact with Tangini, and probably wanted to know if they were serious.

edit--by serious, I mean, I doubt he wanted to go to a team that wasnt going to be a contender. He's used to it in Pittsburgh, and I doubt he wanted to go to a team like, say, the Oakland Raiders

i am not a Woody fan, he was a tub of lard in Detroit, and now he is starting

RT for us???

i am not a Woody fan, he was a tub of lard in Detroit, and now he is starting

RT for us???

I agree with Garb that he needs a weight clause. Give him some motivation, and by that, i mean $$ tied to his weight. Maybe Callahan can light a fire under him, since its supposedly the mans expertise and all.

Schefter reports 5 years 25.5 million

:):):):):):)

Jets | Team agrees to terms with Woody

Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:05:09 -0800

Michael Smith, of ESPN.com, reports the New York Jets agreed to terms with free-agent OG Damien Woody (Lions) on a five-year deal worth $25.5 million, with $11 million in guaranteed money.

With only $11 million guaranteed & a conditional $14.5 million looming over the next 5 years, there has to be a weight clause!

WOW! I can only imagine what draft day is going to be like!:character0282:

I almost feel bad for you guys. I really do. This is like watching the Titanic heading for that glacier. Knowing that no matter how much you yell and try to warn them they're not going to hear you. After NE and Detroit I never thought I would see anyone excited to have Damian Woody.

did you SEE Anthony Clement play last year Alk? I mean I don't think I EVER saw a RT get run over and put on his back the way I saw Clement go down. Damien Woody looks like a hall of famer compared to what we had last year-you can't blame us for being excited for at least addressing the most glaring need of our team

Archived