Jets offered to make Samuel highest paid defensive player.

Alk

I heard them talking about it on ESPN radio this morning. They said when he was getting ready to sign with the Eagles the Jets stepped in and offered him a ridiculous contract. He turned it down stating that he wanted a chance at going to a Super Bowl and had even tagged the Titans as his fallback option. Ouch!

I heard them talking about it on ESPN radio this morning. They said when he was getting ready to sign with the Eagles the Jets stepped in and offered him a ridiculous contract. He turned it down stating that he wanted a chance at going to a Super Bowl and had even tagged the Titans as his fallback option. Ouch!

bellichick told him to say that :shutit:

What a slap in the face to Mangini.

To be honest I'm glad this didn't happen. I'd rather have Faneca, Jenkins and Woody. Jenkins does alot more to help our defense next season.

why is everyone so stoked about Cromartie??? he had a great senior bowl?? and?

and..he posesses everything you look for in a #1 cornerback. He is very athletic with extremely fluid hips, he has great ball skills, very good timed speed and has that closing speed you want. He has good agility and diagnoses a play; if ya watched his drills you saw he had fantastic instincts and was always making a play on the ball, but not in a reckless way that gets you burned. He obviously has weaknesses as he is still raw and didn't play in the best league. A lot of people are looking at him like Antonio cromartie, not a lot of experience but everything you look for in a top flight cb.

Please spare us this garbage will you ? If we wanted Samuel why would we step it up at the last minute ? Go off and lick your wounds from losing Gay AND Samuel.

I'm sure that made you very happy in the pants when you read it.

Oh, and the Eagles aren't winning ****.

Actually the quote I had heard yesterday was "He couldn't consider it because the Jets had entered the negotiations at the 11th hour, and it was to late" (no link, was said on radio,)

Please spare us this garbage will you ? If we wanted Samuel why would we step it up at the last minute ? Go off and lick your wounds from losing Gay AND Samuel.

Don't shoot the messenger's messenger. Who know's why you would step it up at the last minute. You could also ask why they would overpay a player who has had one season at OLB as well. I'm not licking any wounds. We have Moss back and that's all I was really concerned about.

I'm sure that made you very happy in the pants when you read it.

Oh, and the Eagles aren't winning ****.

I have to admit that I did chuckle a little bit. Being such a big fan of Mangini and all. :lol:

Actually the quote I had heard yesterday was "He couldn't consider it because the Jets had entered the negotiations at the 11th hour, and it was to late" (no link, was said on radio,)

Thank You. Now THIS makes more sense. NEVER trust a Cheater troll on a Jets board. A lesson for all.

Thank You. Now THIS makes more sense. NEVER trust a Cheater troll on a Jets board. A lesson for all.

The question still remains Thai. Why would the Jets make an offer at the last minute? You are so easily rattled and I wasn't even trying.

From ESPN's Michael Smith:

Through a league source familiar with the negotiations I've confirmed reports that the Eagles were in fact negotiating with Randy Moss before he re-signed with the Patriots. When the Patriots decided not to use the franchise tag on Moss the Eagles were like a lot people in assuming New England was working on deal with Moss and was a lock to retain him. But when word got around that there wasn't a deal and Moss was open to talking to other teams, the Eagles decided to throw their hat in the ring, though they always believed themselves to be a long shot to lure Moss from New England. As well they were aware that they could simply be being used to leverage a better offer out of the Patriots. Philadelphia first contacted Moss either late Saturday night or early Sunday. I'm told the Eagles offered Moss a $15 million signing bonus as part of a four-year, $36 million package. But they knew the only way they would beat out New England for his services was to blow the Patriots completely out of the water. Again the Eagles knew their chances were slim and that Moss was likely to go back but with him dissatisfied with and feeling somewhat disrespected by New England's initial offer they thought maybe they could swoop in and get him. Ultimately the Patriots stepped up their offer and obviously Moss accepted. But the Eagles never believed they were close enough to consider themselves the losers in the Moss sweepstakes. In so many words my source characterized their pursuit of Moss as a we've-got-nothing-to-lose type endeavor.

Another interesting tidbit I heard tonight was that the Jets made a strong push to land Asante Samuel during his visit with the Eagles Friday. Who knows what's gotten into the Jets? Keep in mind the Jets have paid a reported $44 million in guarantees to free agents Alan Faneca (highest-paid offensive lineman), Calvin Pace (seven sacks last year in first season playing OLB in 3-4), and Damien Woody, and another reported $20 million to Kris Jenkins (I heard it's really 9 million) after he was acquired via trade with Carolina. I'm told New York was willing to make Samuel, whose position head coach Eric Mangini coached when the two were in New England, the highest-paid defensive player in league history with a contract offer bigger than the six-year, $72 million contract and $30 million signing bonus the Colts gave Dwight Freeney last year. But Samuel had targeted Philadelphia as his next team, with Tennessee as his fallback choice. Samuel didn't want to end up like Nate Clements, with a record-setting contract on a losing record. He felt like Philadelphia was closer to being a contender plus there he isn't the face of the defense. Samuel ended up getting a six-year deal with Philly that with escalators could be worth as much as $61.5 million. He got $23.6 million guaranteed ($20 million up front) and will receive $32.1 million over the first three years of the deal. So the Jets likely would have paid in up fronts and guarantees what Samuel is due to make over three years in Philly. The Jets, as they say, are not fooling around this offseason.

The ironic thing will be when Samuel sucks next year, right along with both the Eagles and overachieving Titans...and if the Jets make the playoffs. Eagles are old and injury prone, and the Titans just arent THAT good yet, IMO--although if the Bills, Jets, Browns AND Jags fail...I suppose they can still make the playoffs.

:confused0058: Contradict yourself much?

i guess that explains why he didn't find a way to sign with the pats.

I don't believe it. Speculation had it that the Jets were interested in meeting with Samuel. That doesn't equate to offering him a big contract and that's not how the Jets go about business. ESPN talking heads must be dreaming.

Archived