NY Post: Jets Look at Utecht

will

JETS LOOK AT UTECHT

By MARK CANNIZZARO

March 11, 2008 -- The New York Jets refuse to rest during their aggressive offseason push to improve on their miserable 4-12 season in 2007. One day after agreeing to terms with former Dolphins running back Jesse Chatman, they yesterday hosted Colts tight end Ben Utecht for a free-agency visit.

Utecht, who caught 31 passes for 364 yards last season while backing up Dallas Clark, is a player the Jets have been targeting to complement starting tight end Chris Baker, who had his best season as a pro last year.

Utecht is non-compensation restricted free agent, meaning the Colts have the right to match any offer he receives, but if he signs elsewhere, the team he signs with doesn't owe the Colts anything in return.

An NFL source has told The Post the Colts aren't believed to be serious about re-signing Utecht, who visited the Bengals last week.

The Utecht visit comes along with news that the Jets agreed to terms on a one-year contract with Chatman, who signed with the Jets largely because of his familiarity with Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Schottenheimer was a coach with the Chargers when Chatman played in San Diego.

Chatman's versatility, an attribute that Eric Mangini loves in his players, is something that attracted the Jets to Chatman, who's a good blocker on blitz pickups, has dependable hands and plays special teams. Utecht fits that versatile category, too, having acted as the Colts' backup long snapper and punter.

"That [Chatman's versatility] is probably one of the things he's always been known best for and one of the things I know impressed a lot of the people at the Jets, that he's a difference maker on special teams," Chatman's agent, Brett Tessler, told The Post yesterday.

Tessler said he expects Chatman to compete with Leon Washington as the backup to Thomas Jones, though nothing has been promised.

Did not think Leon needed someone to compete with him but that is just me

Don't really think he's competing with Leon at all. Most NFL teams carry 3 RB's on their active roster. Chatman can get the tough 1 yard when needed and is also a solid blocker for Kellen on passing downs.

I like the sound of Ben on the other side of Baker,Ben has good hands ,can Block ,Run good routes..etc

I like what Mangini is trying to do in this offseason.

I cant remember when we actually had a good tight end?? Baker? Becht? Brady? nope.. not anyof them..

Shuler,Johnny mitchell... yeah thats a little better..

I like the sound of Ben on the other side of Baker,Ben has good hands ,can Block ,Run good routes..etc

I like what Mangini is trying to do in this offseason.

so you think they are going to run a lot of two tight end sets?...does this mean another year where we don't stretch the field?

so you think they are going to run a lot of two tight end sets?...does this mean another year where we don't stretch the field?

The Pats routinely threw deep last year out of two and three TE sets. Its extra protection for the QB and it disguises your intentions, besides being a 'big' running set.

I like this one. Baker is a decent starter, but the Jets back up TEs have always been so mediocre. Can't run, jump, catch, block. They always look good standing around. 6'5", 260 - 270 lbs. But they are like cardboard cutouts.

I worry about FAs from the good teams. Its a reason I was against signing Samuel. How much of these guys' success comes from being a cog in a well oiled machine v individual ability? Also, how does being the ninth option on Indy translate into being the sixth option on the Jets?; the guy was probably uncovered for more than half his receptions.

Anyway, a TE who played with Manning fits squarely into my area of concern.

On the other hand I think the Browns scored again in FA by signing Rex Hadnot from Miami. He's a good run blocker (ask Chatman). I dont understand how he lasted so long in FA.

I cant remember when we actually had a good tight end?? Baker? Becht? Brady? nope.. not anyof them..

Baker is a good TE. Becht got kind of a bad rap when he was here. He was actually a pretty good blocker.

I don't know enough about this Utecht guy. Hopefully he's good. The Jets could also go after Carlson in round 3 or 4.

I loved Utecht coming out of Minnesota and he was one of the guys I hoped the Jets had targeted in the middle rounds. I'd be great if they could pick him up now with some NFL experience under his belt.

This is definitely a signing I'd love to see happen.

Did not think Leon needed someone to compete with him but that is just me

That's just his agent saying that now. His agent will not be making coaching decisions so I think Leon is safe. If anything it just means that they will dress (and hopefully use) three backs since Chatman and Washington are both good special teamers.

Becht was good and so was Brady - You don't make it in the league as long as they have if you're not. They just weren't the Antonio Gates/ Tony Gonzales NY fans always want. They are both very good blockers and decent receivers. Baker is better than he gets credit for and Shuler was awesome! Mitchell had all the talent in the world but absolutely no work ethic.

Baker is a much better tight end then Johnny Mitchell. All Mitchell was an air head and a Bust

Baker is a much better tight end then Johnny Mitchell. All Mitchell was an air head and a Bust

Johnny Mitchell played for the Jets for 4 years and had 158 catches for over 2,000 yards and 16TDs. In his 6 years with the team Baker has 124 for 1,311 and 12 TDs. If Baker is much better I don't see how. Neither of them can block. Mitchell was an airhead, but Baker certainly isn't "much better".

Baker is a good TE. Becht got kind of a bad rap when he was here. He was actually a pretty good blocker.

I don't know enough about this Utecht guy. Hopefully he's good. The Jets could also go after Carlson in round 3 or 4.

Becht was a good blocker but the guy couldn't catch the cold.

Utecht and Baker are probably on about the same level when it comes to receiving, and I'm sure Utecht is better than Pociask.

Don't really think he's competing with Leon at all. Most NFL teams carry 3 RB's on their active roster. Chatman can get the tough 1 yard when needed and is also a solid blocker for Kellen on passing downs.

Need someone to pound it in. Jones acts like he has one of those "electric fence" dog collars on and there is an electric eye across the goal line.

I loved Utecht coming out of Minnesota and he was one of the guys I hoped the Jets had targeted in the middle rounds. I'd be great if they could pick him up now with some NFL experience under his belt.

This is definitely a signing I'd love to see happen.

I followed him in college too and was quite surprized he wasn't drafted.

Johnny Mitchell played for the Jets for 4 years and had 158 catches for over 2,000 yards and 16TDs. In his 6 years with the team Baker has 124 for 1,311 and 12 TDs. If Baker is much better I don't see how. Neither of them can block. Mitchell was an airhead, but Baker certainly isn't "much better".

Judging from your stats it appears that Baker is NOT better than Mitchell. Mitchell has the better stats for sure.

Judging from your stats it appears that Baker is NOT better than Mitchell. Mitchell has the better stats for sure.

Mitchell was way, way more talented. He should have been GREAT. Million-dollar talent, two-cent head.

At the same time, Baker's career has been: - backing up Becht for 3 years

- starting well until we went to Bollywood/Vinny, & then breaking his leg or something

- then the past 2 years of sucky to mediocre QB play combined with staying to help our sorry tackles block way too often.

Mitchell had Boomer throwing to him for 3 years (still a master play-action QB who could certainly hit his TE).

Baker's no great TE, but his stats aren't all his fault. What do you suppose Mitchell's stats would have been if the Jets drafted him in 2002 & Herm sat him behind Becht for 3 years, then finally getting his shot with no QB's until he broke his leg, then staying in as a blocker more often than not for the next 2 years? (And I'm lol'ing at the thought of Johnny Mitchell blocking anyway).

Archived