Joba's Father

Maxman

I hope he is okay...

Joba's father in critical condition as reliever leaves team to head home

Associated Press

Updated: April 14, 2008, 10:49 AM ET

NEW YORK -- Yankees reliever Joba Chamberlain left the team after his father collapsed at his home in Lincoln, Neb., the Daily News reported Monday on its Web site.

Harlan Chamberlain was hospitalized Monday at St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center in Lincoln. Hospital spokeswoman Jo Miller said the family requested that no further information be released. The Daily News said he was in critical condition, according to a nursing supervisor.

Joba Chamberlain's sister called the Yankees during the eighth inning of New York's 8-5 loss at Boston on Sunday night. The newspaper said the reliever spoke with his sister after the game and broke into tears, and manager Joe Girardi tried to console him.

Chamberlain, the Yankees' primary setup man, planned to return to Nebraska rather than accompany the Yankees to St. Petersburg, Fla., for a series against Tampa Bay starting Monday night.

Harlan Chamberlain had polio when he was 9 months old, and uses a motorized scooter. He is deaf in one ear and without full use of his left arm.

Harlan Chamberlain raised Joba as a single dad. He attended New York's season opener earlier this month, and was at last week's series in Kansas City.

I hope he is okay...

Joba's father in critical condition as reliever leaves team to head home

Associated Press

Updated: April 14, 2008, 10:49 AM ET

NEW YORK -- Yankees reliever Joba Chamberlain left the team after his father collapsed at his home in Lincoln, Neb., the Daily News reported Monday on its Web site.

Harlan Chamberlain was hospitalized Monday at St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center in Lincoln. Hospital spokeswoman Jo Miller said the family requested that no further information be released. The Daily News said he was in critical condition, according to a nursing supervisor.

Joba Chamberlain's sister called the Yankees during the eighth inning of New York's 8-5 loss at Boston on Sunday night. The newspaper said the reliever spoke with his sister after the game and broke into tears, and manager Joe Girardi tried to console him.

Chamberlain, the Yankees' primary setup man, planned to return to Nebraska rather than accompany the Yankees to St. Petersburg, Fla., for a series against Tampa Bay starting Monday night.

Harlan Chamberlain had polio when he was 9 months old, and uses a motorized scooter. He is deaf in one ear and without full use of his left arm

Harlan Chamberlain raised Joba as a single dad. He attended New York's season opener earlier this month, and was at last week's series in Kansas City.

Wow, Harlan Chamberlain sounds like one tough, perservering son of a gun. God Bless him.

That's too bad. I think he's the one that I saw at a Nebraska game with his son last season. I believe they said he was still a janitor or something like that at NU even though his son was making all that money.

That's too bad. I think he's the one that I saw at a Nebraska game with his son last season. I believe they said he was still a janitor or something like that at NU even though his son was making all that money.

Well if that was him his son is making good money right now. But not everyone in the family can quit your job kind of money. But I don't know if that was his Dad you saw anyhow.

Well if that was him his son is making good money right now. But not everyone in the family can quit your job kind of money. But I don't know if that was his Dad you saw anyhow.

I would bet it was. His son played for the Yankees because a fan made him a custom hat that was half Nebraska and half Yankees. If I saw a picture I would know if it was him or not.

The worst thing is I watched Yesterdays with Joba Chamberlain, and when his dad came on, and they told the story of how he played catch with one hand and thats all he could do i started crying, and no Harland is in critical condition. That sucks.

I obviously feel for Harland, but I feel worse for Joba.

I hope Mr. Chamberlain recovers.

He waited a long time for this, and now that his son has reached the Majors, I hope he gets to enjoy many years of watching him.

Echoed. Here's to a great, quick turn around for both his and his son's sake.

The worst thing is I watched Yesterdays with Joba Chamberlain, and when his dad came on, and they told the story of how he played catch with one hand and thats all he could do i started crying, and no Harland is in critical condition. That sucks.

I obviously feel for Harland, but I feel worse for Joba.

yea YESterdays was good. Joba nd Harland are so close if joba loses him that will plain just suck.

As a person who was raised by just his father since the age of 7, I somewhat know what Joba is dealing with. Here's to the best for Harlan -- a quick and speedy recovery for not just his sake but for Joba's as well. Baseball takes a back seat in circumstances such as these.

Wow, Harlan Chamberlain sounds like one tough, perservering son of a gun. God Bless him.

If you can find last years article from either SI or ESPN magazines, about Joba and his dad, read it. It made me cry.

My prayers are with Jobas and is dad today. I hope all is ok.

BTW - I read this morning on one of the Yankee web-sites that Jeter made the arrangements immediately after the Yankees landed in Tampa to get a private plane for Joba to get to Lincoln. It left yesterday shortly after the Yankees landed. Apparently, Joba was "touched" that his famous teammates would do that for him.

They are human beings also, and most people look out for those they are close too. We sometimes forget that about players, especially when you read all the negative stuff that goes on in Sports.

Archived