Epic Sell Job

SUorangefootball

I know some of you who are borderline man crushed with McFadden most likely won't like this but i have one simple observation that warrants conversation. Since when did our brass make it SO clear they love a guy in a draft with tons of controversy surrounding that guy? I feel like all this love shown by the Jets to McFadden is the smokescreen they are laying for their true intentions, call it a hunch but it just seems there are alternate intentions for all this public attention they are bestowing on Darren. .

I know some of you who are borderline man crushed with McFadden most likely won't like this but i have one simple observation that warrants conversation. Since when did our brass make it SO clear they love a guy in a draft with tons of controversy surrounding that guy? I feel like all this love shown by the Jets to McFadden is the smokescreen they are laying for their true intentions, call it a hunch but it just seems there are alternate intentions for all this public attention they are bestowing on Darren. .

It's obvious to most of the people here that everything you hear pre draft is bull****, but nobody has the heart to crush Favioret_Toon and tell him.

Big part of what I was thinking. The Jets are going out of their way to show their interest in McFadden which makes me think it's a bunch of BS. Why would you try so hard to let everybody know their intentions? It's gonna be a real interesting draft.

I could see it both ways. It could definitely be a smokescreen. If the Jets don't want McFadden and they want someone else to fall to them instead, enticing someone to trade ahead of them to grab him is good strategy.

OTOH, a player with the off field baggage that DMC has would require the extra attention the Jets are giving him before selecting him.

The Jets are trying to play everyone- the fans, the media, and most importantly, other teams.

They are trying to build interest in McFadden so the player they want to get is still there with the 6th pick. They are hoping someone in the top 5 drafts him- with the idea that if the jets are this high on someone with character issues, maybe they need to re-evaluate.

Or, get someone outside of the top 6 to trade up to draft McFadden so the player they really want is still there. And, if no one trades up and nobody in the top 5 draft DMC, then they have built up DMC value and trade out of the 6th spot.

There is very little chance they actually draft McFadden. Its all a ploy to build his value so someone jumps the gun and takes him assuring the Jets of getting the player they want.

You have to figure there are probably 3 players the jets really want. Right now there are 5 chances to lose out on the 3 players. Getting someone to take DMC cuts it down to 4 chances. Better odds.

This is a good job by the FO and hopefully it works.

Right... you dont meet with the player you want... you never interview them or take them out on the town...nooo you just see them in college and then you pick them.. and then the player you dont want you spend thousands of dollars on?? teach them in a classroom... make sense?

Right... you dont meet with the player you want... you never interview them or take them out on the town...nooo you just see them in college and then you pick them.. and then the player you dont want you spend thousands of dollars on?? teach them in a classroom... make sense?

Actually that is what ussually happens.

I'm not on the McFadden train but that's not why I think you're right. First of all, I think McFadden will get picked before #6 and wouldn't even be surprised to see a team to trade up to get him. Even if he is there I think the Jets will trade the pick. It's kind of like the Dolphins hinting that they are going after a Dfensive player while negotiating with Jake Long. No one knows what teams are really going to do yet. If the Jets do convince everyone they want McFadden and he is still there at 6, they may be able to acquire a nice package for that pick. If they do take him I wouldn't be crushed at all but I'd rather stock up picks and hit the real need positions (WR, CB, LB) and then worry about adding a HB, QB, or whatever other position they may go after (OL, FS, DL).

What is a few thousand dollars to a multi-billionare like Woody Johnson? Please! I'm sure there is some interest but that is the process of getting to know a player better .... especially when you are talking a top 10 pick. The Jets do X's and O's in the classroom with all their potential picks if they are able to. It also doesn't hurt that if McFadden does fall to them at 6 they should be able to get some good picks to move back a few (especially if it looks like they are very interested in him). There has to some teams salivating over McFadden. Maybe the Jets are. I just wouldn't read too much into it. It's part of the process. If they take him I'm not gonna cry but he's not my first choice. I don't like the fumbles at all. Reminds me too much of Blair Thomas who was filled with talent but couldn't hold onto the ball for his life.

The Jets are trying to play everyone- the fans, the media, and most importantly, other teams.

They are trying to build interest in McFadden so the player they want to get is still there with the 6th pick. They are hoping someone in the top 5 drafts him- with the idea that if the jets are this high on someone with character issues, maybe they need to re-evaluate.

Or, get someone outside of the top 6 to trade up to draft McFadden so the player they really want is still there. And, if no one trades up and nobody in the top 5 draft DMC, then they have built up DMC value and trade out of the 6th spot.

There is very little chance they actually draft McFadden. Its all a ploy to build his value so someone jumps the gun and takes him assuring the Jets of getting the player they want.

You have to figure there are probably 3 players the jets really want. Right now there are 5 chances to lose out on the 3 players. Getting someone to take DMC cuts it down to 4 chances. Better odds.

This is a good job by the FO and hopefully it works.

Exactly!

That happens quite often. I've heard several draft picks talk about the team that selected them and make comments about how shocked they are because never showed any interest/interview, etc...

It's how a FO does business. Watch the film. Watch the combine. If there are no glaring character flaws you do your homework and talk to college/HS coaches about the player and scoop them up on draft day. It doesn't happen like that all the time, but it does happen.

Much bigger issue than his off field scrapes, IMHO.

Not too high on the scrapes either but if the Jets took him I'm sure they are confident that he'll behave. The fumbles scare me although there have been guys that fixed that at the NFL level. I just don't like throwing a #6 pick on a question mark like that.

Not too high on the scrapes either but if the Jets took him I'm sure they are confident that he'll behave. The fumbles scare me although there have been guys that fixed that at the NFL level. I just don't like throwing a #6 pick on a question mark like that.

Fumbles aside, I'm most afriad of his lack of strength and size in his lower body. Big runs where he breaks through a hole are nice, but be realistic-they don't happen that often. If it happened once a game he would be the best RB in the league. Reality is an NFL RB spends most of his time at 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust, taking a pounding. There is no way, IMO, that McFadden can handle that type of punishment without getting hurt often. I just don't feel that we should be drafting a RB so high who I don't feel can handle a ful load at the NFL level. If we feel that we need to draft a RB for the future now then I strongly feel that Mendenhall is the guy to go after. He is not quite as fast as DMC, but he has the size and strength to handle the full load, while stiull having the speed to break a big one.

Not too high on the scrapes either but if the Jets took him I'm sure they are confident that he'll behave.

I'm sure when the Titan's took PacMan at #6, they where not anticipating a 1 man crime wave.

Same can be said for St. Louis when they made one of the worst picks ever taking Lawrence Phillips at #6.

He got into a fight at a piano bar at Arkansas, do you really want to see if he can behave in NY after we garuntee him 20 million right off the bat? I don't, if he turns out to be a huge bust or gets himself suspended our cap is ****ed because of it for years. The real problem is the contracts your forced to give these rookies, but we know that's not about to change.

I've never actually heard Tannenbaum or Mangini say anything about wanting him. I have however heard the beat writers incessantly writing about him. (Cimini, New york post)

If you have footage or writing from Tangini, then i stand corrected

I've never actually heard Tannenbaum or Mangini say anything about wanting him. I have however heard the beat writers incessantly writing about him. (Cimini, New york post)

If you have footage or writing from Tangini, then i stand corrected

LOL...well ofcourse they are not going to say it.... action speaks louder then words... they have met with this man 4 times... more then any of the prospects...

LOL...well ofcourse they are not going to say it.... action speaks louder then words... they have met with this man 4 times... more then any of the prospects...

Well i know it's apparent they are very interested, tours of the town, going to dinner, teddy atlas.

but the original statement makes it soud like they are herm edwards blatantly going out and saying "we like matt ryan"

I'll guarantee part of the reason they take him out so often is to see how he reacts to certain environments. They want to make sure he'll be on the team and not Goddells **** list

Archived