Hank Steinbrenner should just take over for Girardi and Cashman

AFJF

Hammerin' Hank Steinbrenner is at it again. He says it's time for Joba Chamberlain to join the starting rotation.

With only two-fifths of the rotation pitching well -- Phil Hughes (0-3), Ian Kennedy (0-2) and Mike Mussina (1-3) are struggling -- Steinbrenner has seen enough. New rules for Joba! And now!

In a story posted on The New York Times' Web site Sunday night, Steinbrenner said: "I want him as a starter and so does everyone else, including him, and that is what we are working toward and we need him there now ... You don't have a guy with a 100-mile-per-hour fastball and keep him as a setup guy. ... You have to be an idiot to do that ... The mistake was already made last year switching him to the bullpen out of panic or whatever. I had no say in it last year and I wouldn't have allowed it ... The starting rotation is not what I would have chosen at the beginning of the year, but that is not a big news flash to anyone."

Chamberlain, who missed five games to be with his ailing father in Nebraska, has pitched only 61/3 innings this season as the setup man.

Steinbrenner and general manager Brian Cashman did not return calls from Newsday Sunday night

Hank says it's an idiot move to keep a guy with a 100 MPH fastball as a set up man. Does this mean we should expect to see Farnsworth in the rotation soon too?

He's right on substance, but he shouldn't have gone public like this. I don't think it's going to matter though. If Kennedy, Hughes and Mussina continue to be this ineffective, having Joba pitch 75 innings in relief will be seen as the folly it is when he could pitch 170 as a starter. Those innings have to get pitched one way or another. Why not have you best pitcher pitch more of them?

Hammerin' Hank Steinbrenner is at it again. He says it's time for Joba Chamberlain to join the starting rotation.

With only two-fifths of the rotation pitching well -- Phil Hughes (0-3), Ian Kennedy (0-2) and Mike Mussina (1-3) are struggling -- Steinbrenner has seen enough. New rules for Joba! And now!

In a story posted on The New York Times' Web site Sunday night, Steinbrenner said: "I want him as a starter and so does everyone else, including him, and that is what we are working toward and we need him there now ... You don't have a guy with a 100-mile-per-hour fastball and keep him as a setup guy. ... You have to be an idiot to do that ... The mistake was already made last year switching him to the bullpen out of panic or whatever. I had no say in it last year and I wouldn't have allowed it ... The starting rotation is not what I would have chosen at the beginning of the year, but that is not a big news flash to anyone."

Chamberlain, who missed five games to be with his ailing father in Nebraska, has pitched only 61/3 innings this season as the setup man.

Steinbrenner and general manager Brian Cashman did not return calls from Newsday Sunday night

Hank says it's an idiot move to keep a guy with a 100 MPH fastball as a set up man. Does this mean we should expect to see Farnsworth in the rotation soon too?

Apparently he didn't watch Joel Zumaya during the 2006 season (or division series)

Hank needs to let his baseball people do what they do

He has basically taken a shot at Cashman, implying they should have gotten Santana

It's in the past, lets move forward and see how the kids do, now that we let Santana go

Give the young guys a chance before you start jumping at conclusions. Only 20 games played.

They have gotten a chance. So far Hughes and Kennedy have sucked. Mussina is washed up. Yankees should have traded for Santana when they had the chance. I'm rooting hard for Hughes and Kennedy but so far they've both been disappointing.

If the Yankees don't have at least three good starters in the rotation they may not even make the playoffs - forget about World Series. I have no problem with giving Joba Mussina's spot in the rotation. Hughes and Kennedy would still have a chance to turn it around.

Say what you want about the bullpen but if the starting rotation is 3/5 garbage like it is now the Yankees could have the best bullpen in baseball and it still wouldn't make a difference.

First of all it is not just a snap of the finger to make him a starter again- he has only been pitching for one or so innings. he will need to build up his arm and endurance to try to be a starter again.

It was only a matter of time. He's actually partly right--only an idiot would keep Joba out of the rotation EVENTUALLY. But since their plan from the offseason was to limit Joba's innings to 150 or so, they need to keep him in the 'pen at least through May or so. Otherwise their whole offseason plan didn't make much sense. I'm not even so sure that Joba should start this year. I'm not sure you let your best pitcher rot in Scranton for a month when you're in the middle of a pennant race. Yes, Joba should in time be a starter, but not after three weeks.

There were going to be bumps and bruises along the way for the young pitchers, and if anyone expected anything out of Mussina they were kidding themselves. Phil Hughes is the youngest freaking pitcher in the majors, for pete's sake. He should've expected this.

It was only a matter of time. He's actually partly right--only an idiot would keep Joba out of the rotation EVENTUALLY. But since their plan from the offseason was to limit Joba's innings to 150 or so, they need to keep him in the 'pen at least through May or so. Otherwise their whole offseason plan didn't make much sense. I'm not even so sure that Joba should start this year. I'm not sure you let your best pitcher rot in Scranton for a month when you're in the middle of a pennant race. Yes, Joba should in time be a starter, but not after three weeks.

There were going to be bumps and bruises along the way for the young pitchers, and if anyone expected anything out of Mussina they were kidding themselves. Phil Hughes is the youngest freaking pitcher in the majors, for pete's sake. He should've expected this.

I agree with you on all counts however if Hughes and Kennedy continue to suck there is absolutlely no way Joba should be spending the entire season in the bullpen.

And enough with all this pussified coddling of Joba. The guy is young athlete with a rifle for an arm. I could understand the argument Joba can't be the 1, 2 or 3 starter ok but all anyone is asking for is that Joba get the 5th spot in the rotation to replace dead weight Mussina and probably get this team another 10 or so wins this season.

People on this website thought Vilma could handle being an ILB and Robertson could handle being a starting Nose Tackle in spite of their not having the physical tools to handle the job meanwhile a young stud like Joba who actually does have the physical tools can't handle being the 5th frickin starter on a baseball team. Give me a break.

If the Yankees pitching continues to stink, which I hope to God it doesn't, this will all be a moot point in a couple months because by then it will be a consensus that Joba has to be starting.

I agree with you on all counts however if Hughes and Kennedy continue to suck there is absolutlely no way Joba should be spending the entire season in the bullpen.

And enough with all this pussified coddling of Joba. The guy is young athlete with a rifle for an arm. I could understand the argument Joba can't be the 1, 2 or 3 starter ok but all anyone is asking for is that Joba get the 5th spot in the rotation to replace dead weight Mussina and probably get this team another 10 or so wins this season.

People on this website thought Vilma could handle being an ILB and Robertson could handle being a starting Nose Tackle in spite of their not having the physical tools to handle the job meanwhile a young stud like Joba who actually does have the physical tools can't handle being the 5th frickin starter on a baseball team. Give me a break.

If the Yankees pitching continues to stink, which I hope to God it doesn't, this will all be a moot point in a couple months because by then it will be a consensus that Joba has to be starting.

In time Joba can be a number one starter. He has to work his way back to being a starter, however, so it probably won't be this year. But Joba has four at least plus-pitches and has dominated every level of ball he's started at. He has all the tools to be a dominant starter. If they want to ease him up this year then fine. But next year he should be a full-time starter.

Interesting though.

All Hank's possible arguments for moving Joba to the rotation were blown up in his face last night. True, it was for only 1 night, but there is something that was quite obvious/

No one else is currently available to replace Joba. Yes, Bruney was hurt, and Ohlendorf was unavailable after throwing 3 innings, again, the other day. But they needed MO to get 5 outs last night, because they did not have Joba.

Oh, and Moose was pretty good against the highest scoring team in the AL coming into last night.

Interesting though.

All Hank's possible arguments for moving Joba to the rotation were blown up in his face last night. True, it was for only 1 night, but there is something that was quite obvious/

No one else is currently available to replace Joba. Yes, Bruney was hurt, and Ohlendorf was unavailable after throwing 3 innings, again, the other day. But they needed MO to get 5 outs last night, because they did not have Joba.

Oh, and Moose was pretty good against the highest scoring team in the AL coming into last night.

If Mussina can hang in there and be a decent starter then yes, Joba should stay in the bullpen. Hank's complaining probably turned out to be a good thing since it seemed to at least give Moose a kick in the rear.

Archived