Seahawks to release Shaun Alexander by Wednesday

Sperm Edwards

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2004365787_webalexander22.html

Seahawks will release Shaun Alexander

By Danny O'Neil

Seattle Times staff reporter

Shaun Alexander's departure has been anticipated by some for more than a month.

Now his release appears imminent, according to a source close to the situation. He remains on the roster for now, but an announcement could happen later today or perhaps Wednesday.

Alexander underwent a physical examination this week. He was recovering from offseason surgery to repair a crack in his wrist.

Alexander is the franchise's career-leading rusher and the only Seahawk to win a league MVP award. The team told Alexander at the end of last season it would possibly look at running backs in the free-agent market. Once the Seahawks signed running backs T.J. Duckett and Julius Jones in free agency, many expected Alexander would be released.

Alexander was the NFL's most valuable player in 2005, when he ran for 1,880 yards and 27 touchdowns, both league highs. Alexander led the Seahawks to the Super Bowl, where they lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers, 21-10. He was named to the Pro Bowl for the third straight season in 2005.

His production has dropped the past two seasons, as he has battled injuries. In 2006, he was limited to 10 games, and finished with 896 yards, an average of 3.6 yards per carry and seven rushing touchdowns. Last year, the numbers were similar

I would absolutely take a flyer on Alexander.

Even if it is for one year. I find it hard to believe that a guy "loses" it just like that.

I think another thing to consider is all the talk about he stopped working once he got his deal from Seattle. If I am an athlete that would chaffe my @ss real bad, especially if I was really hurt.

The guy was double TD Rb for 5 years and the league MVP just two years ago. Maybe he really is done but I pretty confidently state that SOMEONE out there will take a shot and sign him and it wouldn't shock me if he ended up being the 08 comeback player of the year.

I would absolutely take a flyer on Alexander.

Even if it is for one year. I find it hard to believe that a guy "loses" it just like that.

I think another thing to consider is all the talk about he stopped working once he got his deal from Seattle. If I am an athlete that would chaffe my @ss real bad, especially if I was really hurt.

The guy was double TD Rb for 5 years and the league MVP just two years ago. Maybe he really is done but I pretty confidently state that SOMEONE out there will take a shot and sign him and it wouldn't shock me if he ended up being the 08 comeback player of the year.

The Hawks had a sick OL. He played horrible the last two years.

I don't think he "lost" it like that

A sick OLine? Yeah, that "sick" OLine left to Minnesota after the 2005 season. Was Seattle's OLine good? Yeah, sure, at times, but no they were nowhere near great after Huthcinson left. Injuries to Walter Jones didn't help either.

A sick OLine? Yeah, that "sick" OLine left to Minnesota after the 2005 season. Was Seattle's OLine good? Yeah, sure, at times, but no they were nowhere near great after Huthcinson left. Injuries to Walter Jones didn't help either.

You been stalking me today huh ? :D

If you watched Seahawks game, there was clearly a difference between Morris and Alexander.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2004365787_webalexander22.html

Seahawks will release Shaun Alexander

By Danny O'Neil

Seattle Times staff reporter

Shaun Alexander's departure has been anticipated by some for more than a month.

Now his release appears imminent, according to a source close to the situation. He remains on the roster for now, but an announcement could happen later today or perhaps Wednesday.

Alexander underwent a physical examination this week. He was recovering from offseason surgery to repair a crack in his wrist.

Alexander is the franchise's career-leading rusher and the only Seahawk to win a league MVP award. The team told Alexander at the end of last season it would possibly look at running backs in the free-agent market. Once the Seahawks signed running backs T.J. Duckett and Julius Jones in free agency, many expected Alexander would be released.

Alexander was the NFL's most valuable player in 2005, when he ran for 1,880 yards and 27 touchdowns, both league highs. Alexander led the Seahawks to the Super Bowl, where they lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers, 21-10. He was named to the Pro Bowl for the third straight season in 2005.

His production has dropped the past two seasons, as he has battled injuries. In 2006, he was limited to 10 games, and finished with 896 yards, an average of 3.6 yards per carry and seven rushing touchdowns. Last year, the numbers were similar

You been stalking me today huh ? :D

If you watched Seahawks game, there was clearly a difference between Morris and Alexander.

Yeah, one was healthy and the other was hurt. One wasn't used 300+ times for seven years.

Since he's a BAMA guy I've watched Alexander since he left campus. Sadly he's not the same runner he was just a short time ago. Loss of Hutchinson off the left side? Sure that hurt. Over use? Yeah he's been carrying the load there for quite awhile but to me it just seems like his "hearts" not in it. Could be that a change of scenery might just reignite that spark. He needs something to get him going again.

Archived