Jets hunting for an Inside Linebacker | Rich Cimini

MagicBizkit87

Bryan Thomas is very cuttable if that's the direction they want to go in. It wouldn't make much sense, as it costs less to keep him than cut him (and instead, cut him in 2009). But it would only cost an additional $1.7M on the cap to dump him today (with no cap penalty after the 2008 season). Sort of. That $1.7M is actually a little less than that if he reaches the accelerated salary that is $1.25M higher than his scheduled "minimum" base salary.

Further, he received an $8M signing bonus, not a $9M signing bonus.

However, rookies take time to develop and injuries do occur. Unless he was getting moved for a worthwhile draft pick, it makes little sense to let Thomas go this year.

But I agree with him on Barton. They just extended Kassell & it wasn't to be the pure starter or the pure backup. I think the idea may have been to draft another ILB and have Kassell rotate in & out with him (less and less as the season goes on, as the rookie's development allows), and then cutting Barton.

I don't agree on this being a need that "can't be ignored" though. It most definitely can be ignored in 2008. They can let Barton play out his contract and draft an ILB next year. It's better to get your man a year early than a year late, but our hands are absolutely not tied on this one. While we would recoup some cap space in 2008 for letting Barton go, the reality is we are under the cap now, will be even more so after DRob is gone, and there aren't any more megabucks FA's to grab anyway.

I just read that Cimini had said near the end of this article, that Inside Linebacker was a need that shouldn't be ignored in this draft. I however think we could just use Barton again for just one more season, and then come next seasons draft, we could draft ILB in the first round. I see no bad in not drafting an inside linebacker to be the next starter, maybe just for insurance, but nothing more.

I think the defense will be okay as it is right now for at least this year. The offense still needs major help. We are unsure about QB, and we need a WR. We probably need a TE, and it wouldn't hurt to look at a better RB but that's another position that we don't really need to look at now.

We have more than 1 pick in the draft. I feel a lot of our needs can be handled from 2-5th rounds, especially when you're talking about a problem that'll really come to a head only next year, not this year.

I think the defense will be okay as it is right now for at least this year. The offense still needs major help. We are unsure about QB, and we need a WR. We probably need a TE, and it wouldn't hurt to look at a better RB but that's another position that we don't really need to look at now.

We have more than 1 pick in the draft. I feel a lot of our needs can be handled from 2-5th rounds, especially when you're talking about a problem that'll really come to a head only next year, not this year.

In order to seriously compete this season, they need an impact pass rush LB. Our big gun Thomas had two sacks last season. Pace had 6.5.

If I were GM I would do everything I could to trade to around 10 +- and take Harvey, if the Pats don't

Perhaps Cimini feels that there are good 3-4 ILB prospects in this draft. Its certainly a better draft for ILB than last year's (Harris excepted). There seem to be good prospects throughout the draft.

I agree with Sperm that Barton is likely a goner with Kassell splitting time with a rookie ILB.

Perhaps Cimini feels that there are good 3-4 ILB prospects in this draft. Its certainly a better draft for ILB than last year's (Harris excepted). There seem to be good prospects throughout the draft.

I agree with Sperm that Barton is likely a goner with Kassell splitting time with a rookie ILB.

I didn't say (or intend to say) that Barton is likely a goner. Just that this is an area in which the Jets left their options open. They can go with a rookie/Kassell or Barton/Kassell and draft/acquire someone else in 2009.

I didn't say (or intend to say) that Barton is likely a goner. Just that this is an area in which the Jets left their options open. They can go with a rookie/Kassell or Barton/Kassell and draft/acquire someone else in 2009.

Look Sperm is right on. It's not the Barton is finished, its that he's not the best option at MLB. he's getting older, and what happens if he or Harris gets injured what would the Jets do.

Kassel is a fine special teams player and serviceable spot MLB for when someone needs a rest.

Goff is the way to go, dont believe me click my sig.

I just read that Cimini had said near the end of this article, that Inside Linebacker was a need that shouldn't be ignored in this draft. I however think we could just use Barton again for just one more season, and then come next seasons draft, we could draft ILB in the first round. I see no bad in not drafting an inside linebacker to be the next starter, maybe just for insurance, but nothing more.

But see, it really all depends on who is off the board with the #36th pick overall. The talent level is really going to drop off after those 36 Picks. So they really do have the pick of the litter of the next best available player. Personally I foresee the top 4 Wide Receivers to be taken by the 36th Pick (Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, James Hardy and Limas Sweed); therefore there is no tall Wideout that a lot of fans (me at times too) are looking for the Jets to grab. Many also think that the CB position should be a 2nd Round Priority; however I believe the top 6 CB's apart from Justin King, will also be off the board by #36. Therefore, because of his recent "stock falling" whatever the f*&$ that means, b/c we haven't seen them on the pro-field yet so i dunno about "stock rising or falling so close to the draft", but whatever, I believe they will be able to sure up the LB Corps for the rest of eternity by Selecting - ILB Curtis Lofton. Together with Harris in the Middle, Lofton and Harris will absolutely demolish the run and allow Pace and Chris Long to Rush off the edge. OMG I CAN SEE IT NOW!!!!!!....how fantastic does that sound?!?!?! Chris Long, Kris Jenkins, S. Ellis/K. Coleman THEN; Pace, Harris, Lofton, B.Thomas THEN; honestly, i think aside from Revis and Rhodes, our secondary is unstable. I personally believe that J. Miller will absolutely exceed peoples' expectations, but I can foresee announcers constantly picking on Abwam Elam and how he is completely messing up. I dunnno...i just have a bad feeling about our Free Safety Position, I did last year think that Elam hit hard and was a good all around player, nothing too special, but I really don't know if we can rely on him for 16 games as a starter....anyone else feel this way????

Look Sperm is right on. It's not the Barton is finished, its that he's not the best option at MLB. he's getting older, and what happens if he or Harris gets injured what would the Jets do.

Kassel is a fine special teams player and serviceable spot MLB for when someone needs a rest.

Goff is the way to go, dont believe me click my sig.

Wow. I'm not gonna lie, i just posted something below and it took me kinda long, and i didnt see your post so I was sold on Lofton at 36. Hmm....I really like what I see in Goff. But where do you think his round projection is?? If it's 3rd Round. How do the Jets get there??? (Chad, Baker Trade??) Thanks for the video of Goff man, he looks menacing as hell to be honest. may have to change my signature...........again lol

My bad. In my mind Barton (and Barrett and D-Rob) has been an ex-Jet for a long time. Re-signing Kassell was further proof to me that Barton will be gone. And as I think about players that I want to see the Jets draft there are more than a few ILBs that I like so I guess the Jets feel similarly.

If the Jets trade down then I think Jerod Mayo is a real possibility in the first round. Otherwise there are good choices in the second round and in the fourth round.

Watch Curtis Lofton explode through the ball carrier; coming out of nowhere. His instincts are second to none--There's a reason he is slated to go late-1st/early-2nd, and Goff is a 4th rounder.

6 foot 230 means he isnt big enough to play inside in the 3-4. Notice that there are not clips of him shedding blockers and making plays inside in traffic.

6 foot 230 means he isnt big enough to play inside in the 3-4. Notice that there are not clips of him shedding blockers and making plays inside in traffic.

Did you just watch the same video that I did, cause he exploded in traffic, he exploded in coverage, he.....exploded all over your face

But see, it really all depends on who is off the board with the #36th pick overall. The talent level is really going to drop off after those 36 Picks. So they really do have the pick of the litter of the next best available player. Personally I foresee the top 4 Wide Receivers to be taken by the 36th Pick (Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, James Hardy and Limas Sweed); therefore there is no tall Wideout that a lot of fans (me at times too) are looking for the Jets to grab. Many also think that the CB position should be a 2nd Round Priority; however I believe the top 6 CB's apart from Justin King, will also be off the board by #36. Therefore, because of his recent "stock falling" whatever the f*&$ that means, b/c we haven't seen them on the pro-field yet so i dunno about "stock rising or falling so close to the draft", but whatever, I believe they will be able to sure up the LB Corps for the rest of eternity by Selecting - ILB Curtis Lofton. Together with Harris in the Middle, Lofton and Harris will absolutely demolish the run and allow Pace and Chris Long to Rush off the edge. OMG I CAN SEE IT NOW!!!!!!....how fantastic does that sound?!?!?! Chris Long, Kris Jenkins, S. Ellis/K. Coleman THEN; Pace, Harris, Lofton, B.Thomas THEN; honestly, i think aside from Revis and Rhodes, our secondary is unstable. I personally believe that J. Miller will absolutely exceed peoples' expectations, but I can foresee announcers constantly picking on Abwam Elam and how he is completely messing up. I dunnno...i just have a bad feeling about our Free Safety Position, I did last year think that Elam hit hard and was a good all around player, nothing too special, but I really don't know if we can rely on him for 16 games as a starter....anyone else feel this way????

Behind James Hardy, and Limas Sweed, I would still have someone like Joe Flacco ahead of Chris Lofton. Lofton will be good, I just think that Flacco has a giant arm, and will be really good. I would understand if we didn't take a linebacker in round 2 though, and I wouldn't be pissed.

I have seen him listed as high as 6'0, 246 and as low as 6'0, 238. His weight is fine, it's his height that has drawn criticism. In my eyes, a stocky 6 footer is a better ILB than a taller backer, same weight.

I think WR is the more pressing issue. They have LB's on the roster, and LB's can come in as rookies and play at a high level. They can get by and fill the hole next year if they feel the need. WR's develop more slowly. They need to get a talent at WR this year who'll be ready to start by his second or third year.

If the Jets draft Long or Gholston at #6, they probably do it with an idea of what they intend to do at ILB. Pace seemed to intimate that the Jets had plans to play him in a variety of ways (this article suggests the same thing), and that could include some ILB. I'd imagine (hope!) that they'd be looking to create match-up problems, and that would likely include moving any of their three high paid OLB's inside on occassion.

Even if the Jets pass -or miss out- on Long or Gholston, they need to BAP their way thru the draft. With legitimate needs at WR, CB, RT, DE, LB, TE, QB(?)... it would be difficult for them to take a player they didn't need.

i think Beau Bell or Jonathan Goff would fill in nicely in the middle of our defense alongside D. Harris...I wouldn't be mad at Mayo or Lofton thoughhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJm4ArO-ZLk - Beau Bell Highlights:
- Jonathan Goff Highlights

Its the combo of players that key: If the Jets use the first four picks on G/T, WR, CB, ILB and/or DE I will be happy. I dont much care if they draft ILB high and take, say, Mayo or if they wait until the fourth round and take Goff. Personally, I'm looking for the trade down scenario in order to get good prospects at all of the above positions - also, I am not enamoured of Ryan, McFadden or Gholston.

To me, the #36 is the key pick. I expect that the FO has done its homework, will be flexible, and take a real ood player at whatever position, that has slipped through the first round (Sam Baker?). I still love Dre Moore for the Jets DL.

Above all, I have tremendous faith in the FO. I will love whomever they draft.

Did you just watch the same video that I did, cause he exploded in traffic, he exploded in coverage, he.....exploded all over your face

Ease up buddy and dont forget to wash the hand towels after you get finished watching those clips for the 1,000 time. Just because you like it when men explode in your face doesnt mean that we all want to be included in your homoerotic fantasies.

I didnt say he couldnt play and I didnt say he wasnt a good hitter. I said he was too small to play ILB in the 3-4. Most of the clips that I saw show him running free of any blockers through open lanes and making good solid tackles. I believe we just traded an LB who was capable of that, but who was too small to take on guards and tackles inside and stop the run.

Ease up buddy and dont forget to wash the hand towels after you get finished watching those clips for the 1,000 time. Just because you like it when men explode in your face doesnt mean that we all want to be included in your homoerotic fantasies.

I didnt say he couldnt play and I didnt say he wasnt a good hitter. I said he was too small to play ILB in the 3-4. Most of the clips that I saw show him running free of any blockers through open lanes and making good solid tackles. I believe we just traded an LB who was capable of that, but who was too small to take on guards and tackles inside and stop the run.

Dude He's listed on different sites at 6'2" to 6'4" and between 235lbs. and 245lbs. CARE TO RECANT YOUR BULLSH*T STATEMENT???

Zack Thomas 5'11" - 228.

London Fletcher (Just saying...he starts on Wash.) 5'10" 245lbs.

Tedy Bruschi - 6'1" 247lbs.

That's just 3....CARE TO RECANT YOUR BULLSH*T STATEMENT YET?!?!?!

And alright fine, so I went overboard with the explosion in your face thing, personally, I thought it was funny, but you took it as me being a dick and you felt threatened and inferior and decided oh hey, let's call this guy gay and say he has homosexual fantasies, since he made a funny comment, that by the way, most people enjoyed, but you took it personally. Dude your also, just not that funny, wow hand towels after 1,000 times of watching Jonathan Goff, god stick to your day job if you got one "buddy". This thread isnt even worth arguing about this IT'S ABOUT A POSSIBLE 4th ROUND DRAFT PICK!!!!!

So...you ease up buddy and stop taking things personally. Because I know for sure I didnt take your homosexual jokes with the lease bit of validity, haha, if you only knew...

BACK TO WHAT THIS SITE IS FOR....GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright fine, so I went overboard with the explosion in your face thing, personally, I thought it was funny, but you took it as me being a dick and you felt threatened and inferior and decided oh hey, let's call this guy gay and say he has homosexual fantasies, since he made a funny comment, that by the way, most people enjoyed, but you took it personally. Dude your also, just not that funny, wow hand towels after 1,000 times of watching Jonathan Goff, god stick to your day job if you got one "buddy". This thread isnt even worth arguing about this IT'S ABOUT A POSSIBLE 4th ROUND DRAFT PICK!!!!!

So...you ease up buddy and stop taking things personally. Because I know for sure I didnt take your homosexual jokes with the lease bit of validity, haha, if you only knew...

BACK TO WHAT THIS SITE IS FOR....GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your first mock insult was funny. This was not.

Lots of us disagree on players, and I've had my share of disagreements with Gibbon. But he's not a friggin' 12 year-old. He's a good guy & has earned better than this.

We have a draft coming up & it would suck if two Jets fans who don't know each other were exchanging insults over nothing.

Your first mock insult was funny. This was not.

Lots of us disagree on players, and I've had my share of disagreements with Gibbon. But he's not a friggin' 12 year-old. He's a good guy & has earned better than this.

We have a draft coming up & it would suck if two Jets fans who don't know each other were exchanging insults over nothing.

There was no mock insult, i dont even know what that means, it was more of a "did you really just watch that video because he exploded in the running (granted they were QB/HB Option Lanes, and I didn't write that in my response, but i figured whoever would watch that video would see what I saw). I don't know what it will take to show that I was not insulting whoever you think I did. Really. That's not at all why I'm here or why I post on this site.

No beef. I hope the other poster-guy doesnt take offense to my previous response post, but there really wasnt anything insulting in that other than the "you're just not that funny"...and believe you you, i have heard that plenty of times lol

Whatever, if you're pissed off, i didnt mean to do it, but I just wrote down what I felt. Whatever GO J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!

There was no mock insult, i dont even know what that means, it was more of a "did you really just watch that video because he exploded in the running (granted they were QB/HB Option Lanes, and I didn't write that in my response, but i figured whoever would watch that video would see what I saw). I don't know what it will take to show that I was not insulting whoever you think I did. Really. That's not at all why I'm here or why I post on this site.

No beef. I hope the other poster-guy doesnt take offense to my previous response post, but there really wasnt anything insulting in that other than the "you're just not that funny"...and believe you you, i have heard that plenty of times lol

Whatever, if you're pissed off, i didnt mean to do it, but I just wrote down what I felt. Whatever GO J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!

I don't get pissed off at people posting here. I would call you saying the "exploding..." comment was a mock insult. I doubt Gibbon took much offense to it. So he replied in kind (though less graphically). If it's meant in a funny way, then rational people don't get bothered by it. When you reply with a "you're just not that funny" and aren't meaning it in a wink-wink way, then it's uncalled for.

I'm critical of everyone, so don't let it bug you.

I don't get pissed off at people posting here. I would call you saying the "exploding..." comment was a mock insult. I doubt Gibbon took much offense to it. So he replied in kind (though less graphically). If it's meant in a funny way, then rational people don't get bothered by it. When you reply with a "you're just not that funny" and aren't meaning it in a wink-wink way, then it's uncalled for.

I'm critical of everyone, so don't let it bug you.

okay. point noted. I will try to not let it happen again.

Archived