If the Jets draft Ryan, Clemens is OK with it

InstantClassic

Then please fill in the question marks, The only thing ryan has on kellen is height and thats it.

Speed? Since when has speed helped an NFL Quarterback? Ryan has plenty of pocket awareness and plenty of pocket speed and thats all you need to be successful in the NFL.

Arm strength? I love how people complain about Ryan's arm strength. Lets get one thing straight: His arm strength is MUCH better than Pennington's, especially when attempting the long ball. He can launch deep balls consistently if he wanted too, unlike Pennington who needs to rest the arm for three weeks after one deep ball. His arm and Clemens' arm are not that far apart.

Height does play a role into it as well and where do you come from to bash Ryan's toughness? The guy played at Boston College with zero receivers of note and problems on the left side of the line. Gosder Cherlius was a RT playing LT and that didn't help anything either. Ryan went through college with a worse core around him than Clemens did.

I'm not knocking Clemens at all, I think both could be starting NFL Quarterbacks, but if Ryan is there at 6 the Jets HAVE to take him. Clemens is no sure thing, Pennington is done and the Jets right now have a huge question mark at the Quarterback position. Whats the worst thing that could happen? Both Clemens and Ryan turn out to be good players and the Jets trade one away in 2 years for draft picks? Boy, that would really suck. ;)

If the coaches feel the best QB to lead this team is Pennington, Clemens, or Ryan, I'll support whoever they choose.

I just want a QB that doesn't throw the ball into the ground 5 yards in front of the receiver on a roll-out.

Kellen>>Ryan

Arm>>?

Speed>>?

Toughness>>?

Mobility>>?

Shall I go on, Kellen has nothing to worry about he will be fine this year

Based on what I saw last year from both QB's Ryan clearly has the edge.

That being said I doubt they'll take Ryan. Jets are going with either Gholston or Harvey at 6 or drafting Run DMC to trade down with Dallas.

Speed? Since when has speed helped an NFL Quarterback? Ryan has plenty of pocket awareness and plenty of pocket speed and thats all you need to be successful in the NFL. Speed and Mobility have alot to do with it, Put Ryan on this team last year with our crappy O-line and he takes more sacks than Kellen.

Arm strength? I love how people complain about Ryan's arm strength. Lets get one thing straight: His arm strength is MUCH better than Pennington's, especially when attempting the long ball. He can launch deep balls consistently if he wanted too, unlike Pennington who needs to rest the arm for three weeks after one deep ball. His arm and Clemens' arm are not that far apart.I watched alot of those BC games and Ryan throws alot of lame ducks up in the air ala Penny boy.Plus He will be playing in the meadowlands, with that wind..... Kellen >Ryan > Chad

Height does play a role into it as well and where do you come from to bash Ryan's toughness? The guy played at Boston College with zero receivers of note and problems on the left side of the line. Gosder Cherlius was a RT playing LT and that didn't help anything either. Ryan went through college with a worse core around him than Clemens did.He can see 5 inches more over the line ,that Kellen can't....I will give you that one Joe

I'm not knocking Clemens at all, I think both could be starting NFL Quarterbacks, but if Ryan is there at 6 the Jets HAVE to take him. Clemens is no sure thing, Pennington is done and the Jets right now have a huge question mark at the Quarterback position. Whats the worst thing that could happen? Both Clemens and Ryan turn out to be good players and the Jets trade one away in 2 years for draft picks? Boy, that would really suck. ;)

Did you see the shots that Kellen took last year,Put Ryan in those same spots and he doesn't get up..Period LOL the bigger they are the harder they Fall

Did you see the shots that Kellen took last year,Put Ryan in those same spots and he doesn't get up..Period

Horse ****. You act like Kellen Clemens is the next coming of Brett Favre in terms of toughness. I remember one time Kellen Clemens didn't get up either (New England). No Quarterback, aside from Brett Favre, John Elway, Dan Marino, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning doesn't get banged up and miss some time behind that pathetic Offensive Line last year.

Ryan's arm is more than sufficient for the Meadowlands winds. Every Quarterback will throw a lame duck once in a while, that doesn't make them Chad Pennington. Ryan has a strong arm. Not as strong as Clemens, but not nearly as weak as Pennington's. His arm is slightly above average and thats all you need. You don't need a guy throwing 99mph fastballs back there, but you certainly can't live with Pennington either.

I'll be disappointed as hell if the Jets take Ryan. I won't whine about it, 'cause as Kellen himself acknowledges in this article, it'll say something about how they feel about the QB's they currently have - and Clemens in particular.

I'm hoping they believe that Kellen can take a step forward with an improved line, improved running game, some improved play from the WR's (Smith, Stuckey, rookie?), and another year under his belt. His first offseason preparing as the starter. I like him. I saw some flashes, and believe I would've seen more if McCariens could catch or the line could block.

I'll be a little surprised if Ryan goes before Baltimore at #8, and could envision him slipping further. I think the teams at the top of the draft are all looking at the top of the second for a QB (if they're interested in one).

If you compare Kellen's numbers last year to Matt Ryan's you're going to get laughed at.
How ? he hasn't played a down in the NFL yet, Not to mention behind the line we had last year.

I'm Not saying Ryan is garbage,But I would like to see kellen at least get 16 games before we cast the Man off into 2nd rd Bust status.

Do you think Ryan would play better than Kellen did in the 2007 season with the same group of linemen?

Except Ryan was playing college defenses...

Does comparing his and Kellen's #'s make any sense?

I wasn't the one saying "please fill in the #'s".

Ryan had a sh*t O-line last season and put up great numbers. Kellen had a sh*t O-line and put up sh*t numbers. The defenses are obviously completely different but you don't see Matt Ryan fans making excuses for him.

Speed? Since when has speed helped an NFL Quarterback? Ryan has plenty of pocket awareness and plenty of pocket speed and thats all you need to be successful in the NFL.

Arm strength? I love how people complain about Ryan's arm strength. Lets get one thing straight: His arm strength is MUCH better than Pennington's, especially when attempting the long ball. He can launch deep balls consistently if he wanted too, unlike Pennington who needs to rest the arm for three weeks after one deep ball. His arm and Clemens' arm are not that far apart.

Height does play a role into it as well and where do you come from to bash Ryan's toughness? The guy played at Boston College with zero receivers of note and problems on the left side of the line. Gosder Cherlius was a RT playing LT and that didn't help anything either. Ryan went through college with a worse core around him than Clemens did.

I keep thinking of how San Diego had no problem having both Drew Brees and Philip Rivers on their roster-worked out just fine with them-I say if Ryan is there then that makes Pennington a for-sure-goner-and I'm way good with that

how about the two most important QB attributes POCKET PRESENCE / QB Field Vision

Ryan has shown outstanding pocket feel and amazing field vision, Clemens, well not so much....

LOL com'on man Kellen had his head on a swivel last year, Pocket presence and field vision goes out the window when your running for your life and the poor guy was still trying to make something out of nothing and he still made things happen out there.

how about the two most important QB attributes POCKET PRESENCE / QB Field Vision

Ryan has shown outstanding pocket feel and amazing field vision, Clemens, well not so much....

how good can any QB's field vision be when he is on the run 2 seconds after the ball is snapped?

LOL com'on man Kellen had his head on a swivel last year, Pocket presence and field vision goes out the window when your running for your life and the poor guy was still trying to make something out of nothing and he still made things happen out there.

that's almost the exact thing I just said Mike

I wasn't the one saying "please fill in the #'s".

Ryan had a sh*t O-line last season and put up great numbers. Kellen had a sh*t O-line and put up sh*t numbers. The defenses are obviously completely different but you don't see Matt Ryan fans making excuses for him.

yea but those numbers where against college defenses not NFL.. matt ryan will def have a hard time with big time NFL Defences his first year because it happens to every QB

The. Jets. Are. Not. Taking. Matt. Ryan.

you of all people should pray we do Barton. Just think, if Clemens gets hurt guess who will be under Mangold if we DON'T get another QB? That's right, your all-time favorite Jets quarterback; the one and only Chad Pennington...

you of all people should pray we do Barton. Just think, if Clemens gets hurt guess who will be under Mangold if we DON'T get another QB? That's right, your all-time favorite Jets quarterback; the one and only Chad Pennington...

Just a prediction, not necessarily what I want.

I don't want a QB picked up with our #6. if we didnt pick up any of the National Championship QBs what makes people think we are going to scoop one up now? I mean Mangini picked Kellen up in the later rounds because he was trying to pull a Brady/Belichick so i highly doubt hell want to use a #6 on a qb.

And on another note isn't Chad Henne a better QB (the guy from Michigan)? I think he would be better cause he comes from a better system. Sure he had a crappy senior year but from what i have heard he's got a lot of qualities of an NFL starter.

Great Response on FanNation concerning us taking Ryan:

By NYFan

Someone please explain to me why they would pass on Leinart and Cutler 2 years ago, apparemtly in favor of the "Tom Brady" theory of not drafting QB's in the first rd, only to take a college QB with as many negatives and positives who seems to didivde scouts/teams as to whether he will be anything more than a serviceable starter in the NFL. Was Clemens that bad last year, playing only 8 games behind a "run for your life" O-line. I mean, all I kept heraing last yr during camp and the eraly part of the year weas how much Clemens had progressed, how he had the "it factor" in terms of leadership, how his strong arm would cut thru the winds at The Meadowlands...now 8 games into his NFL career, he's a bust? Take the sure impact guys in Long, Gholston or McFadden, or trade down if someone is willing and get a few extra picks, getting a CB to play opposite Revis. But please, let Ryan be some other teams 'mistake.

Archived