Training Camp Battles: Don Banks: Rookies, vets expected to go head-to-head

MagicBizkit87

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/04/30/camp.battles/index.html?eref=T1

1. N.Y. Jets outside linebacker, Vernon Gholston vs. Bryan Thomas -- After his nine-sack season in 2006 earned him a fat new contract, Thomas, a former first-round pick himself in 2002, regressed last year, totaling just 2½ sacks with almost zero big-play impact from his weakside position. Enter Gholston, the No. 6 overall pick, who will be starting at some point opposite newly signed strongside linebacker Calvin Pace, one of New York's big offseason additions. The Jets may work Gholston in as a situational pass rusher at first to get him acclimated to playing linebacker in their 3-4 defense (he was a defensive end at Ohio State), but New York needs him to develop into a three-down performer by 2009 at the latest.

8. N.Y. Jets tight end, Dustin Keller vs. Chris Baker -- Draft weekend didn't make for happy viewing for Baker, who already was chafing about his contract and being underappreciated, even before New York traded back into the bottom of the first round to select Keller, the Purdue standout. Baker is upset that despite being the Jets starter, he's making almost a $1 million less this season than his new backup, Bubba Franks. As a first-round pick, Keller too will pass him on the team's salary chart.

Having learned their lesson from the Pete Kendall showdown last year, the Jets believe Keller gives them leverage in Baker's contract situation. New York doesn't want to trade Baker, because he's the team's best blocking tight end. But Keller is the pass-catching option, and his role will overshadow Baker's early on in Brian Schottenheimer's offense.

Baker is not a better blocker than Bubba Franks.

Baker's base salary - that which he is whining about - will be higher than Keller's this season.

Baker is not a better blocker than Bubba Franks.

Baker's base salary - that which he is whining about - will be higher than Keller's this season.

The whole baker thing is odd. didn't the jets just redo his contract last year? he must have a real suck a$$ agent.

OK, Thomas had a pretty good year playing on the weakside, and then they switched him and Hobson and both sucked ass on the opposite sides. I still have no idea why they did this. Maybe to get Thomas experience at both positions so that if one of the starters goes down he could be plugged in? The guy had a pretty good year on the weakside, then they signed him to an extension and switched positions. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

If Gholston has a "battle" with Thomas he is a bust already. The only guy Gholston should be battling in camp is bowens and maybe Pace. To expect Thomas to do anything more than taking a nap on the field is expecting way too much.

If Gholston has a "battle" with Thomas he is a bust already. The only guy Gholston should be battling in camp is bowens and maybe Pace. To expect Thomas to do anything more than taking a nap on the field is expecting way too much.

I hate Thomas as a player more than anyone but if he starts over Gholston early on it doesn't mean jack. Vilma started over Harris despite being awful in the 3-4, look how that has worked out.

I hate Thomas as a player more than anyone but if he starts over Gholston early on it doesn't mean jack. Vilma started over Harris despite being awful in the 3-4, look how that has worked out.

It had to be hard to Mangini to pull the trigger on flat out benching a team captain, first round pick, former all pro (alternate, haha), and team leader for a second round rookie. Thomas has proved time and time again that he is a nobody waste of a jersey number. If Mangini has the opportunity to bench him, it won't take much convincing on a number 6 overall draft choice's part.

Early on i would expect to see Thomas, but if it lasts longer than 3 games i will be frustrated.

OK, Thomas had a pretty good year playing on the weakside, and then they switched him and Hobson and both sucked ass on the opposite sides. I still have no idea why they did this. Maybe to get Thomas experience at both positions so that if one of the starters goes down he could be plugged in? The guy had a pretty good year on the weakside, then they signed him to an extension and switched positions. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Bryan Thomas played on the strong side in 2006. Hobson on the weak side. The same positions as last year.

The thing everyone is forgetting is that Thomas had 8.5 sacks in 06. The guy can rush the passer.

He had one of the oddest quotes around week 9 or so. To paraphrase he said. "I didn't realize you had to keep working hard to stay on top of the game". Huh?

He was motivated in 06. It was his contract year. He will be motivated again this year, it will be his job if he isn't. I honestly expect a good year out of Thomas.

It had to be hard to Mangini to pull the trigger on flat out benching a team captain, first round pick, former all pro (alternate, haha), and team leader for a second round rookie. Thomas has proved time and time again that he is a nobody waste of a jersey number. If Mangini has the opportunity to bench him, it won't take much convincing on a number 6 overall draft choice's part.

Early on i would expect to see Thomas, but if it lasts longer than 3 games i will be frustrated.

You could argue that Vilma was much easier to bench. Vilma was a Herm/Bradway pick and obviously overmatched at 3-4 ILB. Bryan Thomas is a guy that Mangini's staff specifically chose to give a $25M deal. They have invested in Thomas, they were stuck with Vilma.

The thing everyone is forgetting is that Thomas had 8.5 sacks in 06. The guy can rush the passer.

He had one of the oddest quotes around week 9 or so. To paraphrase he said. "I didn't realize you had to keep working hard to stay on top of the game". Huh?

He was motivated in 06. It was his contract year. He will be motivated again this year, it will be his job if he isn't. I honestly expect a good year out of Thomas.

I have been hearing that quote spit back for months and I have to say that IMO it has been blown way out of proportion. Here is the full exerpt from Cimini in December:

Thomas (2-1/2 sacks), sensing his slump a few weeks ago, said he started putting in more work after practice. Each day, he and LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson go one-on-one in a hurry-up, pass-rushing drill - six rushes in rapid-fire succession.

"Early in the year, I wasn't doing certain things to try to get better," Thomas said. "I realize now that you have to keep working at your craft."

Thomas was just trying to explain his slump and stating that he was putting in extra work to fix the problem. I think it was a function of being "coachable" that sort of Van Gundy/Pat Riley effort overcomes everything attitude. The guy was trying to say that he wasn't succeeding earlier in the year, so he was putting in more work. He put in the work and still didn't succeed. Sometimes it's just a lack of talent. I expect him to have a better year and if he doesn't it will be because (the forgotten man) Bowens is playing well. Gholston should take some pressure off them in the pass rush.

I agree and really do hope you're right.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Thomas starting in week 4 though, if they are going to switch early it'll be after the bye (Week 5)

If Gholston can't beat out Thomas you are going to start hearing "DRob Part 2" all over again. There will be bust talk all over this board and you know what, I wouldn't blame the posters who start that. This guy has to be able to step in Day 1 and contribute and if he can't beat our Mr. One Year Wonder Thomas then that is not a good sign.

No, they were switched last year.

Not in the 3-4 base defense, KSJets. But, when the Jets lined up in a 4-3 front, Hobson played his old OLB spot on the left side with Thomas in a three point stance on the right side.

I don't think Bryan Thomas had a great 2006, especially rushing the passer. His sacks were more a result of scheming than his football skills.

Not in the 3-4 base defense, KSJets. But, when the Jets lined up in a 4-3 front, Hobson played his old OLB spot on the left side with Thomas in a three point stance on the right side.

I don't think Bryan Thomas had a great 2006, especially rushing the passer. His sacks were more a result of scheming than his football skills.

You're right, in the base 3-4 they were switched where Thomas was on the strongside, and in the 4-3 he had his hand on the ground. I think Hobson was so slow that if he had his hand on the ground in a three point stance, he wouldn't be able to stand back up before he was blocked.

You're right, in the base 3-4 they were switched where Thomas was on the strongside, and in the 4-3 he had his hand on the ground. I think Hobson was so slow that if he had his hand on the ground in a three point stance, he wouldn't be able to stand back up before he was blocked.

Hobson should be playing MLB next to Harris this year, but the FO f'd that up...

Archived