Matt Light was almost a Jet

chris66

I found this on yahoo sports nfl page. Its a pretty interesting read

So it was long before Spygate that Light found himself in the middle of what would become the NFL's nastiest feud. "It was the middle of the second round, and we were actually a good amount of beers into it," he recalls. "I got a call from (Patriots personnel chief) Scott Pioli, and he told me they had a pick coming up and that they definitely wanted to take me. I hung up and a couple of minutes later I got a call from someone at the Jets basically saying the same thing. Then Scott called back."

"Are you talking to anybody else?'" Pioli asked.

"Yeah," the guileless Light replied. "A guy from the Jets."

Minutes later, with Pioli still on the phone, the Patriots traded up to acquire the 48th overall pick, moving New England one spot ahead of its AFC East rivals. "You're going to see the trade go across the screen," Pioli told Light, seconds before it happened.

Once the pick became official, Pioli added, "Congratulations. You're going to be going from one Drew to another."

Recalls Light: "I had no idea what he was talking about, but I played along and said, 'Oh, yeah, that's great.'"

Light quickly learned about the other Drew, who happened to be the Pats' star quarterback. "Drew Bledsoe is an evil man," Light says, laughing. "I call him Osama bin Bledsoe. When it comes to pranks, that man is a genius. He once moved all the furniture from a teammate's entire house into the basement."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqSjb5qOx_hQNmn177XynKxDubYF?slug=ms-thegameface050908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I believe you need to watch football more.

No my point being is that edwards was hired in the begining of 2001. I'm not sure how much input he would have had in that draft. I would suspect that the gm and head of scouting probably put most of that draft together

No my point being is that edwards was hired in the begining of 2001. I'm not sure how much input he would have had in that draft. I would suspect that the gm and head of scouting probably put most of that draft together

Wrong.

then correct me who was coach? it was either groh or edwards. I dont remember anybody in between.

It was Edwards. That was Edwards and Bradway's draft and I believe they probably did screw it up.

I sure hope you don't envision matt light as a future hall of famer...because you would be greatly mistaken. He's a solid LT, but by no means is he going to be a hall of famer.

Pssst I think he was being sarcastic. :biggrin:

I sure hope you don't envision matt light as a future hall of famer...because you would be greatly mistaken. He's a solid LT, but by no means is he going to be a hall of famer.

According to Peter King, he is.

then correct me who was coach? it was either groh or edwards. I dont remember anybody in between.

The last Groh/Parcells draft was 2000. They had no 2nd round pick, and I think that was the last pick to go to the Patriots for Parcells (total was a first, a 2nd a 3rd, and a 4th over a few years).

Parcells hired Bradway to be the new GM, who then hired Herm.

Bradway & Herm did their own draft in 2001. That was supposed to help offset the disadvantage of any first-time GM, that Bradway was a player scout. Their first draft was 2001. They moved up from #19 to #16 for a 4th round pick and selected Santana Moss, then stayed put in rounds 2 & 3 & took Jordan & McKenzie.

Neither Parcells nor Groh would have traded up in round 1 to select a 5'9" wide receiver. Parcells wouldn't have taken ANY wide receiver in the middle of round 1, let give up a draft pick to move up even further in round 1 to draft one. I think once out of about 15 drafts he took Mark Ingram at #28 (last pick in round 1). Any Pats fan should remember he never wanted to draft Terry Glenn, and it was a sore point that he was forced to take him. (Among other things that led to the "If they want you to cook the meal, they should let you buy the groceries" line when he quit the Pats after that season).

The GM was hired only a couple weeks prior to the coach.

After what Osi did to him, I think I'll pass.

Go Ferguson!

that's what i'm saying, in that game against the Giants. Ferguson held his own against Osi. cept for one garbage sack, but by that time the jets could only pass and chad was only throwing ten yard outs

Great year in 08 for ferguson

Out of all the players the Jets have "missed out" on in the draft I can live with this one. To hell with Matt Light and to hell with would have, could have nonsense. There is no turning back the clock and if there was, Matt Light could stay with the Patsies anyway.

Why are we mourning Matt Light from the 2001 draft? Dumbway passed up on Chad Johnson, Reggie Wayne and Shaun Rogers there.

Not only that, but those other two receivers were deemed so much worse that we needed to trade UP to grab the midget Moss. Johnson and Wayne were legit first round prospects & no fewer than two of the three (including Moss) would have been there at 19.

At least in trading up for Keller we got more than the player they wanted (I doubt they would have been heartbroken with whoever we'd have ended up with at #35). We also got the player for an extra season at (relatively) cheap dollars in an era where salaries for mediocre players is out of control.

If Matt Light was drafted by the Lions he'd be on his 5th different team by now.

He wasn't drafted by the Lions.

Using your logic: If Jeter was drafted by the Royals he wouldn't be in the Majors right now.

Do you see how stupid your statement is?

He wasn't drafted by the Lions.

Using your logic: If Jeter was drafted by the Royals he wouldn't be in the Majors right now.

Do you see how stupid your statement is?

Jeter is a HOF shortstop. Matt Light is an average left tackle.

You're comparison makes NO SENSE.

Derek Jeter would not be a HOF shortstop if he played for Kansas City.

He'd be Miguel Tejada.

Unless you're gonna contest that he would have gotten injured in kansas city, logic says you are DEAD wrong. Jeters #'s will put him down as one of the 5 greatest offensive shortstops in MLB history, fact.

Unless you're gonna contest that he would have gotten injured in kansas city, logic says you are DEAD wrong. Jeters #'s will put him down as one of the 5 greatest offensive shortstops in MLB history, fact.

So, you think Jeter would have put up the exact same numbers if he had spent his entire career playing with guys like Joe Randa and Terrance Long rather than guys like Bernie, George Posada, and ARod?

I think not.

So, you think Jeter would have put up the exact same numbers if he had spent his entire career playing with guys like Joe Randa and Terrance Long rather than guys like Bernie, George Posada, and ARod?

I think not.

Absolutely.

And there's nothing but pure SPECULATION, no actual facts, on your side of the arguement here. You can say Jeter wouldnt be a HOFer if he didnt always play with such a great supporting cast, but there's no actual substance to make that claim considering he's always played with a great team.

Not to mention tt's very much a 1-on-1 game when you step in the batters box to face a pitcher. And with that being said, Jete's one of the all-time greats.

Derek Jeter would not be a HOF shortstop if he played for Kansas City.

He'd be Miguel Tejada.

Jeter has more hits than any other major league player the last 10 seasons.

No sense turing this into a Derek Jeter debate thread but you're logic is pure Yankee-hatred.

Absolutely.

And there's nothing but pure SPECULATION, no actual facts, on your side of the arguement here. You can say Jeter wouldnt be a HOFer if he didnt always play with such a great supporting cast, but there's no actual substance to make that claim considering he's always played with a great team.

Not to mention tt's very much a 1-on-1 game when you step in the batters box to face a pitcher. And with that being said, Jete's one of the all-time greats.

There is no ****ing way he would come close to the numbers he has now.

You really think he would have gotten as many ABs if he had the ****ty Royals lineup surrounding him? I think it helps his hits totals that he plays on a team where he can routinely come up to the plate 5 times a game.

My Tejada comparison was spot-on. Jeter would be thought of as a very good, multiple time All-Star shortstop, but without the four rings and massive media market, he'd just be a great player toiling in anonymity for a ****ty team.

Not only that, but those other two receivers were deemed so much worse that we needed to trade UP to grab the midget Moss. Johnson and Wayne were legit first round prospects & no fewer than two of the three (including Moss) would have been there at 19.

At least in trading up for Keller we got more than the player they wanted (I doubt they would have been heartbroken with whoever we'd have ended up with at #35). We also got the player for an extra season at (relatively) cheap dollars in an era where salaries for mediocre players is out of control.

Bradway should never be allowed anywhere near a GM job again for that draft. We needed a big receiver and he took that small piece of crap and then he passes up on Shaun Rogers in round 2 to get a running back when we already had Curtis f'n Martin on the roster.

The only thing he could have done to top that stupidity is trade a first round pick for a crap tight end and a kicker, oh wait he did that too.

Archived