Ainge is out of the cast

Kentucky Jet

Will Erik Ainge Be the New York Jets' Quarterback this Season?

ellis_island_048_small.jpg by Jonathan Szenics (Scribe)

June 17, 2008

This article has not been edited yet.

t1_ainge_article.jpg

Let's face it; the New York Jets' quarterback situation is not of the greatest quality at the current time, and it is nothing to celebrate either.

They have one quarterback, Chad Pennington, who can win ball games, but who cannot throw the ball more than 20 yards. They have another, Kellen Clemens, who has a rocket arm, but whose brain operates as if a rocket exploded in it.

Finally, they have a fifth-round draft pick, one Erik Ainge, who was selected mainly because there was nothing to lose with the pick.

If he ends up being a great quarterback, then the Jets made one of the best picks of the draft. If he ends up being nothing special, then who cares? Just release him and move on.

Right now though, the Jets cannot afford to be careless with their picks. They are at a point in their franchise's history, where if a few moves do not pay off, then they will not be a contender for years.

Knowing this, they spent an incredible amount of money to get free agents on the team, such as Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace, and Tony Richardson.

In addition, they drafted Vernon Gholston with the sixth overall pick in the draft, hoping that he would become the next version of Lawrence Taylor.

With all of these factors in mind, many of the weaknesses have been eliminated. Thomas Jones has a solid fullback in Richardson to run behind and a vastly improved offensive line ahead of him as well.

The defense has plugged many holes together as well, with the signing of Pace and the trade for defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, which will make the team much harder to run on than in previous seasons.

Finally, Kerry Rhodes is locked up in a long-term deal, and as long as he is around, the secondary will at least keep plays ahead of them.

But what about the quarterback, the most important position on the field?

To many, it seems as if the Jets have ignored this need. Many people see this as a sign of many different egos getting in the way.

The team doesn't want to admit that it dropped the ball with Pennington's contract. They do not want to admit that Clemens probably is not the long-term answer, considering he was a second-round pick just a few years ago.

As a result, they took a guy in the fifth round of the draft, just in case neither one ends up being the answer at quarterback.

The real question is though: Will Erik Ainge be the Jets' quarterback by the end of the season?

The answer is yes, for better or worse. Ainge did come from Tennessee, where one Peyton Manning played his college ball. He also has two stellar seasons under his belt going for him.

At the same time though, the pressure of New York may be too much for Ainge to handle. He is going to have to quickly learn how to deal with it.

Why?

First, Pennington will either play to a level where the fans will be booing him off the field, even if he is limping from injury, as they so brutally did last year, or he will get injured somehow yet again.

Second, Clemens will again prove that he is not the man to take over for the Jets. With the system that the team runs, making the right reads is a must, and he does not have the mental makeup to run the team to the level that it has to be run at. He probably never will either.

This leaves Ainge as the man for the job by default. Will he succeed? Only time will tell, but by the end of the year, or hopefully sooner so that Ainge has some games under his belt, he will be the man.

Let's just hope that he does not lose any games for the team, and let's hope that his teammates do most of the work, which could lead to a playoff spot. Even though, unfortunately, the playoffs seem just out of reach at the current time, considering that the AFC is such a tough conference to play in right now.

Will Erik Ainge Be the New York Jets' Quarterback this Season?

ellis_island_048_small.jpg by Jonathan Szenics (Scribe)

June 17, 2008

This article has not been edited yet.

t1_ainge_article.jpg

Let's face it; the New York Jets' quarterback situation is not of the greatest quality at the current time, and it is nothing to celebrate either.

They have one quarterback, Chad Pennington, who can win ball games, but who cannot throw the ball more than 20 yards. They have another, Kellen Clemens, who has a rocket arm, but whose brain operates as if a rocket exploded in it.

Finally, they have a fifth-round draft pick, one Erik Ainge, who was selected mainly because there was nothing to lose with the pick.

If he ends up being a great quarterback, then the Jets made one of the best picks of the draft. If he ends up being nothing special, then who cares? Just release him and move on.

Right now though, the Jets cannot afford to be careless with their picks. They are at a point in their franchise's history, where if a few moves do not pay off, then they will not be a contender for years.

Knowing this, they spent an incredible amount of money to get free agents on the team, such as Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace, and Tony Richardson.

In addition, they drafted Vernon Gholston with the sixth overall pick in the draft, hoping that he would become the next version of Lawrence Taylor.

With all of these factors in mind, many of the weaknesses have been eliminated. Thomas Jones has a solid fullback in Richardson to run behind and a vastly improved offensive line ahead of him as well.

The defense has plugged many holes together as well, with the signing of Pace and the trade for defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, which will make the team much harder to run on than in previous seasons.

Finally, Kerry Rhodes is locked up in a long-term deal, and as long as he is around, the secondary will at least keep plays ahead of them.

But what about the quarterback, the most important position on the field?

To many, it seems as if the Jets have ignored this need. Many people see this as a sign of many different egos getting in the way.

The team doesn't want to admit that it dropped the ball with Pennington's contract. They do not want to admit that Clemens probably is not the long-term answer, considering he was a second-round pick just a few years ago.

As a result, they took a guy in the fifth round of the draft, just in case neither one ends up being the answer at quarterback.

The real question is though: Will Erik Ainge be the Jets' quarterback by the end of the season?

The answer is yes, for better or worse. Ainge did come from Tennessee, where one Peyton Manning played his college ball. He also has two stellar seasons under his belt going for him.

At the same time though, the pressure of New York may be too much for Ainge to handle. He is going to have to quickly learn how to deal with it.

Why?

First, Pennington will either play to a level where the fans will be booing him off the field, even if he is limping from injury, as they so brutally did last year, or he will get injured somehow yet again.

Second, Clemens will again prove that he is not the man to take over for the Jets. With the system that the team runs, making the right reads is a must, and he does not have the mental makeup to run the team to the level that it has to be run at. He probably never will either.

This leaves Ainge as the man for the job by default. Will he succeed? Only time will tell, but by the end of the year, or hopefully sooner so that Ainge has some games under his belt, he will be the man.

Let's just hope that he does not lose any games for the team, and let's hope that his teammates do most of the work, which could lead to a playoff spot. Even though, unfortunately, the playoffs seem just out of reach at the current time, considering that the AFC is such a tough conference to play in right now.

I didn't read it. But did someone actually take the time to write an article stating that Ainge might be the Jets starting QB this year?

LOL.

Shoot me now. Woody would crap in his pants if that happen. 200 million dollar spending spree, let's hand it over to Ainge. Hey maybe he can get Danny to stand on the sidelines next to Kevin James.

:bag:

I didn't read it. But did someone actually take the time to write an article stating that Ainge might be the Jets starting QB this year?

LOL.

Shoot me now. Woody would crap in his pants if that happen. 200 million dollar spending spree, let's hand it over to Ainge. Hey maybe he can get Danny to stand on the sidelines next to Kevin James.

LOL.

Hey, somebody had to make your day!

LOL.

Hey, somebody had to make your day!

LOL.

Your smarter then I am. I read it, you din't miss much

I love how after 8 starts in his second season where the oline was playing like an arena league team, Clemens is written off as being too dumb to read any defenses and a failure already. :rolleyes: I am no expert but I will say this...Clemens will be better than Ainge ever thought about being THIS season and will never lose his job to a rookie,especially Erik Ainge.

i have a feeling this pinky injury is going to "flare up" towards the end of camp so ainge can spend the year on IR adn the jets can keep 4 qbs.

Ratliff really seems to be coming on, so I could definitely see this scenario. They did it with Stuckey last year who would not have made it to our PS, just as Ratliff wont this year.

I love how after 8 starts in his second season where the oline was playing like an arena league team, Clemens is written off as being too dumb to read any defenses and a failure already. :rolleyes: I am no expert but I will say this...Clemens will be better than Ainge ever thought about being THIS season and will never lose his job to a rookie,especially Erik Ainge.

WOW That's sayin a lot, especially coming from a TN guy. :P

Ratliff really seems to be coming on, so I could definitely see this scenario. They did it with Stuckey last year who would not have made it to our PS, just as Ratliff wont this year.

Stuckey wouldn't have made the PS? Probably not, I'm sure he'd have been active. They might do this with Ainge (I've said that before) but don't think they stashed Stuckey last year. In fact, I think when the IR'd him they had an extra spot on the roster.

Stuckey wouldn't have made the PS? Probably not, I'm sure he'd have been active. They might do this with Ainge (I've said that before) but don't think they stashed Stuckey last year. In fact, I think when the IR'd him they had an extra spot on the roster.

I think what he means is that if the Jets had tried to place Stuckey on the PS, that some other team would've picked him off. Not that he wouldn't've made it. And that the same scenario could hold true for either Ratliff or Ainge. Don't know if I think they did that, that's just my interpretation.

If they're liking Ratliff a lot, it may make sense to pull something like that with the QB's this year. Next year you figure either Clemens or Pennington will be gone. Not that I'd ever advocate bending the rules...

I think what he means is that if the Jets had tried to place Stuckey on the PS, that some other team would've picked him off. Not that he wouldn't've made it. And that the same scenario could hold true for either Ratliff or Ainge. Don't know if I think they did that, that's just my interpretation.

If they're liking Ratliff a lot, it may make sense to pull something like that with the QB's this year. Next year you figure either Clemens or Pennington will be gone. Not that I'd ever advocate bending the rules...

Ah, I see. That makes sense. IMO, if Stuckey were healthy he'd have been active, gotten plenty of reps and probably been the punt returner, but he would have been signed by somebody if they tried to put him on the PS.

I agree about Ainge. Whether they want to do something like that will depend almost entirely on Ratliff. If Ratliff blows he is cut or stuck on the PS. They aren't cutting Ainge or Clemens and if Chad goes they will probably be looking for a vet, so if Ratliff is decent they will look to stash somebody.

Archived