The Jets offense

4HCrew

I like being unpredictable on offense (like we were in 2006). the offense reverted back to being very predictable last year. when Thomas Jones lined up 9 yards behind the LOS last year you knew the Jets were running the ball. that's one of the many reasons we were awful on offense last year.

Just looking at stats and reading the recap, because I live in stinking florida and couldn't see the game, two things stood out to me. One Favre was in control of the huddle and everyone felt comfortable with him in charge. Two Ratliff looks like the real deal and thank goodness he does because the Jets choice of Clemens was poor. Side note. I hate to say it, Chad looked pretty decent if it wasn't for his crappy receivers. And no I don't wish we had him instead of Favre. I see 1996 all over again for us. Except this time we go to the superbowl. By the way I need two tickets.

Just looking at stats and reading the recap, because I live in stinking florida and couldn't see the game, two things stood out to me. One Favre was in control of the huddle and everyone felt comfortable with him in charge. Two Ratliff looks like the real deal and thank goodness he does because the Jets choice of Clemens was poor. Side note. I hate to say it, Chad looked pretty decent if it wasn't for his crappy receivers. And no I don't wish we had him instead of Favre. I see 1996 all over again for us. Except this time we go to the superbowl. By the way I need two tickets.

1996? weren't we 1-15 that year?:ahhh: surely you mean 1998!

Clemens sucks so far, but the stats won't show that 4 of his passes were dropped and his own center tripped him on 2 other plays by stepping on Clemens' foot.

Take a couple of Ratliff's first down passes away to drops, and maybe another one due to the play being busted after the snap, and he looks no better on the stat sheet. Particularly when he's 1 of 3 QB's playing on the day in a pre-season game. Clemens does seem to get passes batted down (2 last night), but it's not like it was just him & no one else that happened to.

What does look good about Ratliff is the way he seems to carry himself in the pocket. It's all pre-season garbage, but he looks as good as you'd want him to look for the most part.

And Faneca is head and shoulders over the garbage we had playing at guard last year.

Absolutely. He is still a beast on all types of run plays. And he is hardly a liability on pass protection. I loved on Favre's TD pass when he crushed Jason Taylor while D'Brick already had him locked up. I wonder if Jason cried.

I watched most of the first half last night. I just can't get over how good Favre looked. You guys have damn good reason to be excited this year. I think you are now a playoff team.

How did the Steelers look? I have a lot of work collegues that work in Pittsburgh. Are they going to be grumpy tomorrow?

How did the Steelers look? I have a lot of work collegues that work in Pittsburgh. Are they going to be grumpy tomorrow?

If they are anything like me they'll be grumpy with the defense but ecstatic with Ben and the offense.

Ben and Santonio Holmes appear to have great chemistry so far. Mendenhall looks real good as well. Limas Sweed had a couple drops but the CS is still high on him and he'll prolly get the #3 WR job.

Two players on D stand out. James Harrison and Lawrence Timmons. Timmons should be starting MLB by season's start. Dude hits like a truck and has great closing speed.

The rest are playing like, well, preseason form i guess.

The running game has looked like crap so far..

Actually, I thought it looked pretty good. What a wonderful surprise Jesse Chatman was. I was hoping that we could have picked up Ray Rice in the Draft. Now it seems he's going to be a star somewhere else - Ravens, is it?

Actually, I thought it looked pretty good. What a wonderful surprise Jesse Chatman was. I was hoping that we could have picked up Ray Rice in the Draft. Now it seems he's going to be a star somewhere else - Ravens, is it?

Chatman didn't play with the first team though.

Clemens sucks so far, but the stats won't show that 4 of his passes were dropped and his own center tripped him on 2 other plays by stepping on Clemens' foot.

Take a couple of Ratliff's first down passes away to drops, and maybe another one due to the play being busted after the snap, and he looks no better on the stat sheet. Particularly when he's 1 of 3 QB's playing on the day in a pre-season game. Clemens does seem to get passes batted down (2 last night), but it's not like it was just him & no one else that happened to.

What does look good about Ratliff is the way he seems to carry himself in the pocket. It's all pre-season garbage, but he looks as good as you'd want him to look for the most part.

Man he always has that problem. From last season, through training camp, and now in preseason, his recievers drop his passes. At some point you have to wonder if Clemens himself is to blame. We know Favre and Ratliff both throw harder than him, so it can't be that. Perhaps his location or the ball he throws is a problem. His balls are kinda wobbly. It's harder to catch a wobbler than a tight spiral.

If they are anything like me they'll be grumpy with the defense but ecstatic with Ben and the offense.

Ben and Santonio Holmes appear to have great chemistry so far. Mendenhall looks real good as well. Limas Sweed had a couple drops but the CS is still high on him and he'll prolly get the #3 WR job.

Two players on D stand out. James Harrison and Lawrence Timmons. Timmons should be starting MLB by season's start. Dude hits like a truck and has great closing speed.

Yeah, one of my friends out there is big on Timmons.

Clemens drop back problems happened 3 times and it's the QB's job to get out of the way of the OL, not the other way around. Your first step as a QB is back and out of the way, then you drop.

Could the Jets end up being a pass first to set up the run style of offense? As much as Mangini wants to be smash mouth does this line really have the road graders to do that? or are they better suited in pass protection?

I don't think Mangini wants to smash mouth now that Chad is out of the picture.

Man he always has that problem. From last season, through training camp, and now in preseason, his recievers drop his passes. At some point you have to wonder if Clemens himself is to blame. We know Favre and Ratliff both throw harder than him, so it can't be that. Perhaps his location or the ball he throws is a problem. His balls are kinda wobbly. It's harder to catch a wobbler than a tight spiral.

Could be. Though I don't know where it comes from that Ratliff can throw harder. Hasn't looked that way from what I've seen, though he clearly has a very strong arm. Clemens' fastball looks faster to me. But it doesn't do a lot of good if it's wobbly & the receivers drop it.

Still, these are pro receivers & they're supposed to catch it. Makes no sense that his Oregon Ducks receivers could catch 64% of his passes but these pro receivers keep dropping it passes that hit their hands.

I like being unpredictable on offense (like we were in 2006). the offense reverted back to being very predictable last year. when Thomas Jones lined up 9 yards behind the LOS last year you knew the Jets were running the ball. that's one of the many reasons we were awful on offense last year.

I agree.

How 'bout that end around to Brad Smith? Chad Pennington is supposed to be the master of the fake, but it's amazing how a QB who actually scares people can freeze the defense with merely average slight of hand skills.

I like passing to set up the run. Spread the dee out early, then take what you can get on the ground. And so far this preseason, the running game hasn't been too impressive. It'll look better if the defense is fearing the pass.

The O-line of The Steelers is what really has me worried. I'm not sure ifyou guys can maintain the powerhouse running game you always seem to have with Faneca now gone. Protecting Ben and keeping him healthy will be an even bigger problem IMO.

I wouldn't be too worried about the D, You guys are missing Big Casey and Troy Polamalu. When those guys are back (If they're back) at 100% then the Steelers D will be as good as ever IMO.

The O-line of The Steelers is what really has me worried. I'm not sure ifyou guys can maintain the powerhouse running game you always seem to have with Faneca now gone. Protecting Ben and keeping him healthy will be an even bigger problem IMO.

I wouldn't be too worried about the D, You guys are missing Big Casey and Troy Polamalu. When those guys are back (If they're back) at 100% then the Steelers D will be as good as ever IMO.

I think they adjusted the offense. The line doesn't seem to be much of a concern yet, at least. Ben's first TD pass was a 3 step drop and fire to Holmes after site adjustment. Yea it's only pre-season so we'll see. But right now they look like a cohesive unit. Hartwig (SP?) and Mahan are still in a battle for starting C too.

Archived