Ranking #2 QBs (Don Banks)

BwanaZulia

22. New York Jets: Brett Ratliff -- The "other'' Brett on the Jets' roster has clearly out-performed Kellen Clemens this preseason, throwing for 451 yards in his three preseason games while getting lots of snaps with the second-team offense. But there's still some question whether New York head coach Eric Mangini will relegate Clemens, a 2006 second-round pick, to the No. 3 role? It could be that Clemens would get the first call if the Jets just need a game or two of relief in place of Brett Favre. Anything longer and New York would turn to Ratliff.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/08/26/backups/1.html

Interesting..

BZ

Only you and a few other naysayers think it's ridiculous. Everyone else pretty much agrees Ratliff is the better player and has shown a lot more.

Brett JR has shown a ton in the preseason games, but that in itself doesn't make him #2. I hope he gets a lot of time in this game on Thursday.

BZ

Only you and a few other naysayers think it's ridiculous. Everyone else pretty much agrees Ratliff is the better player and has shown a lot more.

+1 to what BZ said.

I like what I've seen from Ratliff so far, but a few good preseason performances doesn't mean Mangini will turn over the team to Ratliff if (God forbid) Favre gets hurt.

Assuming Favre retires after this season, however, we could have a great battle for starting QB in 2009.

It's a dumb article because you never know the worth of a backup until they are pressed in to service. More than half the guys on that list haven't taken a snap in anger in the NFL, yet. I basically agree with Collins and Griese and the rest are a crap shoot.

Of course it's a crapshoot, but if you have to rank people who don't play much during the regular season, you have to give a lot of weight to how much actual game experience they have. If Team A has a guy who used to win NFL games as a starter and Team B has a no-name walk-on, I'm ranking Team B as having the better backup situation. Wouldn't you?

I would definitely rate Gus Frerotte as higher than 16. He's a sometime starter-career backup who can function well enough as a starter for a few games, and that is what I want from a backup.

I wouldn't trade Ratliff straight up for more than 5 guys on that list.

Nor would I (Mostly due to the terrible list) but that doesn't mean I'm convinced Ratliff is a future stud. All we have to judge him by is preseason. At least some of the QB's have actually played regular season football too.

It could be that Clemens would get the first call if the Jets just need a game or two of relief in place of Brett Favre. Anything longer and New York would turn to Ratliff.

It's speculation on Banks' part, but it makes sense. I expect Clemens to start the year as the #2 QB, but I can't help but think that they'd have him on a very short leash with Ratliff right behind him.

Brett JR has shown a ton in the preseason games, but that in itself doesn't make him #2. I hope he gets a lot of time in this game on Thursday.

BZ

It's still 3 more preseason games than Clemens has shown anything.

i wanna see ainge play

They may be looking to hide him for the practice squad like they did with Ratliff last year. Once he's on the practice squad anybody can sign him, but they have to keep him on the active list. Teams aren't as likely to take a risk on a guy that they have no film on and obviously weren't in love with at the draft. Plus he'd have to learn the whole new offense. Nobody wants to carry 4 QBs and they'll may be nervousrisking the 3rd spot on what they've seen from Ainge so far.

Wasn't Clemens great in last years reseason??? I keep bringing that up and no one seems to take it into account.

Funny how it works.:rl:

That's because unlike you, we can actually look beyond stats to guage a QB's performance. After all, we are not the ones that thought Chad Pennington was a great QB. Frankly, I don't think your opinion on QB ability means anything, I put it somewhere on the same level as ecurb.

That's because unlike you, we can actually look beyond stats to guage a QB's performance. After all, we are not the ones that thought Chad Pennington was a great QB. Frankly, I don't think your opinion on QB ability means anything, I put it somewhere on the same level as ecurb.

Come on Serp, that's way too much. :rl:

You're obviously speaking for yourself here because I will go ahead and bump all the threads with posters drooling over what KC did in preseason. Don't say 'we' as though you're speaking for the messageboard.

And also, I am not the one judging the QB on the stats, stop coming out with BS like that.

I was not in love with Clemens because of his stats just like I'm not in love with Ratliff because of his stats. That's my whole ****ing arguement!

BZ

This is quite contrary to one of your posts in another thread if I recall.

I'm pretty sure you said pre-season means absolutely nothing.

Which is it?

Archived