IT'S OFFICIAL ... Ty Law agrees to terms with Jets!

Green Jets & Ham

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, gEYno said:

Sad thing is, you'd really have to consider Justin Miller one of our top 2nd rounders of the millennium.

How true ... sad doesn't cover it ... it should contain reference of something like - sickness to the point of disgorging the contents of ones stomach 

22 hours ago, gEYno said:

Sad thing is, you'd really have to consider Justin Miller one of our top 2nd rounders of the millennium.

2000: none

2001: Lamont Jordan

2002: Jon McGraw

2003: Victor Hobson

2004: none

2005: Mike Nugent & justin Miller

2006: Kellen Clemens

2007: David Harris

2008: none

2009: none

2010: Vlad Ducasse

2011: none

2012: Stephen Hill

2013: geno Smith

2014: Jace Amaro

2015: Devin Smith

2016: Hackenberg

Obviously Harris is far and away #1 but after that it's a tossup.  Hopefully Amaro and Smith become good players for us soon.

Justin Miller was a great returner for us, but wasn't a great corner (he didn't turn for the ball enough), but he got hurt returning a kickoff, and was never the same, and the rules changed because of such injuries on K.O. returns, so his specialty is becoming obsolete. We didn't miss him that much, because Brad Smith, Leon Washington and even McKnight also were excellent returners afterwards. Westhead was the best. BTW, who cares about Ty Law, why was this thread rehashed?

On 8/8/2005 at 4:11 AM, Green Jets & Ham said:

NY TIMES

Jets Reach Deal With Ty Law to Lift Defense

By KAREN CROUSE

Cornerback Ty Law agreed to a multiyear deal with the Jets late last night, according to his publicist, Elita Lee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/08/sports/football/08jets.html

Man I miss this man's posting style. 

What an amazing kick returner he was.(:

He was very good at returning kicks.....yet I would say he wasn't top 3 for Jets kick returners during the new millennium.

Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Chad Morton I'd rank ahead of him. He was better than McKnight though, who wasn't bad himself.

Man I miss Westoff.....he is a special teams God, and brought so much excitement to the return game, which is probably the most exciting play in football in my humble opinion. Special Teams were a HUGE part of the success we had during Westoff's tenure with us.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, papz187 said:

He was very good at returning kicks.....yet I would say he wasn't top 3 for Jets kick returners during the new millennium.

Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Chad Morton I'd rank ahead of him. He was better than McKnight though, who wasn't bad himself.

Man I miss Westoff.....he is a special teams God, and brought so much excitement to the return game, which is probably the most exciting play in football in my humble opinion. Special Teams were a HUGE part of the success we had during Westoff's tenure with us.

I would put Miller above all except Leon.

Miller averaged 26.9 per KR w 3 TDs

Smith 26.6 w/ 3 TDs

Morton 25.1 w/ 2 TDs(both came in one game)

I would put Miller above all except Leon.

Miller averaged 26.9 per KR w 3 TDs

Smith 26.6 w/ 3 TDs

Morton 25.1 w/ 2 TDs(both came in one game)

Yeah I remember that game against Buffalo, he took the opening KO in OT for 6....was sweet.

See I think Leon was definitely the most electric, but Brad Smith was my favorite and I'd put him either first or second (it's between he and Leon IMO).

I remember the opening KO at Pitt in 2010 coming off a losing streak that included the 45-3 beat down in NE I was in attendance for and a crappy loss to Miami at home, never won in Pittsburgh in NYJ history and Brad takes opening kickoff for 6.....it was a thing of beauty.

Another one of Smiths was in 09, week 16 at Indy....opening KO of 2nd half. ...we were down like 9-3 and he goes for 6 (Peyton and the starters were still in the game at that point and didn't come out til sometime later in the 3rd qtr) but that KO for 6 was HUGE, kept us in the game (actually gave us actually 1 point lead if memory serves me right).

Miller was faster for sure, but Brad Smith had awesome vision and overall was better returner IMO. He was great in the wildcat too even though that hs nothing to do with the discussion, I just like to point it out.

On August 10, 2016 at 8:27 AM, nyjunc said:

that guy was terrible, got beat every single week but he had some picks so some folks think he as good.

It was actually more than just "some picks," to be fair.

Ty Law has the Jets record for most interceptions in a single season in the Super Bowl era.  He had 10 INT's.  For a franchise with Darrelle Revis and other franchise greats like Aaron Glenn, Erik McMillan, etc. it truly is sad that a one-year "rental player" from the Pats holds that record.

But then again, Ryan Fitzpatrick from the Cincinnati Bengals, Buffalo Bills, Tennessee Titans, Houston Texans, etc. holds the single season TD passing record of 31 for the Jets, and not a guy like Joe Namath, Ken O'Brien, or Vinny Testaverde.

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It was actually more than just "some picks," to be fair.

Ty Law has the Jets record for most interceptions in a single season in the Super Bowl era.  He had 10 INT's.  For a franchise with Darrelle Revis and other franchise greats like Aaron Glenn, Erik McMillan, etc. it truly is sad that a one-year "rental player" from the Pats holds that record.

But then again, Ryan Fitzpatrick from the Cincinnati Bengals, Buffalo Bills, Tennessee Titans, Houston Texans, etc. holds the single season TD passing record of 31 for the Jets, and not a guy like Joe Namath, Ken O'Brien, or Vinny Testaverde.

Revis doesn't get a ton of picks b/c Qbs don't throw at him, law was picked on all year.  he had some picks but got beat far more than he intercepted the ball.

Fitz owns the record b/c of the era he plays in and the talent around him.  

Archived