The Myth of the Jets Fan

Maxman

seriosu question??? WTF???

When I had season tix at Shea stands were full and full to end if close game..

so u r saying that not only are many not showing, but are showing late or leavin early??

Is this a sign of people now takin 'non fans' to games,,i.e. young kids and wives who dont really care?? In old days you RARELY saw very young kids at games, i.e. under 7/8 years old,,now, at UNC games, I see it all the time,,little shiits who dont really care and whine to go home etc..get a f'in babysitter...

1. Jets havent won sh#t in 40 years. That doesnt help.

2. Most Jets fans live in Long Island, not Jersey. Just a fact. That will be different 10+ years from now, but right now, that is still the case.

3. Jets play in Giants stadium. Say whatever you want - its a disgrace.

Once we win another Superbowl, the Jets roots in Jersey become strong forming a bigger local fanbase, and we get to play in a "neutral" stadium (still bad, but not as pathetic) - things will be different.

Maybe.

Translation: Jets fans from NY > Jets fans from NJ

This situation may change when there's public transportation again in 2010, but I don't find fault with people who don't feel like sitting in traffic for 2+ hours as they trek back towards the Lincoln Tunnel through Manhattan back to Queens or Long Island.

Ultimately, I think the reason for this is due to the popularity of the NFL. This is so much greater than it was 20+ years ago when baseball was so far & away the #1 most popular sport. Women & small kids didn't go to NFL games (let alone every single week) unless they wanted to get there early & stay to the very end. Wives & girlfriends - most wives & girlfriends - don't want to tailgate after football games until the traffic dies down.

When in doubt, blame the womenfolk.

Think we need a real strong effort and a convincing win against a top contender to sway the base back into believing we can go deep into the playoffs

Good point. I think the loss to the Pats may have dampered some of the enthusiasm. Once you guys get further into the season and the Jets start playing more meaningful games then the crowds should be loud and proud imo.

1. Jets havent won sh#t in 40 years. That doesnt help.

2. Most Jets fans live in Long Island, not Jersey. Just a fact. That will be different 10+ years from now, but right now, that is still the case.

3. Jets play in Giants stadium. Say whatever you want - its a disgrace.

Once we win another Superbowl, the Jets roots in Jersey become strong forming a bigger local fanbase, and we get to play in a "neutral" stadium (still bad, but not as pathetic) - things will be different.

Maybe.

If things were to remain the same you would be correct. They are not going to remain the same. The PSL's are going to have a major impact on the fan base. I think things are going to get worst before they get better.

Maybe if they would keep serving beer more people would stick around. I know I would.

So do people go to the game to watch the Jets, or do they go to the games to drink the beer? Because beer is available 24/7/365. Jets home games? A total of eight hours of actual fooball is played per season....not a tough choice for me personally when I get the chance to go to a game.

So do people go to the game to watch the Jets, or do they go to the games to drink the beer? Because beer is available 24/7/365. Jets home games? A total of eight hours of actual fooball is played per season....not a tough choice for me personally when I get the chance to go to a game.

I don't know how any man that has watched the jets for over 25 years does it sober. Hey more power to them, me when the beer is gone so am I. I've watched a few jet games sober and that is one kick in the nuts I kindly pass on .

I don't know how any man that has watched the jets for over 25 years does it sober. Hey more power to them, me when the beer is gone so am I. I've watched a few jet games sober and that is one kick in the nuts I kindly pass on .

Any time I'm forced to watch a Jets game I'm incoherent by the 2nd quarter. That beer can't hit the liver fast enough.

Any games I go to I always stay until the end, no matter what the score. And I have to drive home to Pennsylvania!!!

Of course, I do live just across the Jersey border and my Mustang does 185 so I get home in about 45 minutes, but still ... ;)

the fan base has changed drastically for the Jets. Back in the 80`s, the Jets fans were the worst fans in the NFL, which for me made them the best. We were young, rowdy, drunk and didn`t take shiit from anyone, Jets fan or other fan. It was awesome being at Jets games back then. I think the problem today is the Jets have an almost new fan base. The children of those rowdy basttards are now going and like me, the rowdies are 40-60 years old now. Not as drunk, nowhere near as rowdy and certainly jaded by this franchise.

There are so many issues involved as to why people show up late and leave early, not as vocal, etc....

traffic,

2+ hour commute each way for some,

no public transportation,

price of tickets,

construction at the stadium,

jaded fans,

GIANTS STADIUM,

LOSING SEASON TICKETS IF SECURITY THINKS ONE IS TOO ROWDY, LOUD, OBSCENE, ETC.....

the list goes on and on really. Even back in the 80`s and early 90`s, Jets fans would leave a bit early. This is the New York Metro area. It`s a friggin nightmare for many fans to go to a game. I remember when they played in Shea. It was a nightmare for Jersey fans to go there. We wouldn`t drive to Shea because THAT alone is a nightmare for a Queens resident when they go food shopping, let alone a Jersian having to pay tolls, GWB, Cross Bronx Expwy, Triboro Bridge, GCPwy and the Van Wyke. Plus open alcohol was prohibited in the parking lots over there. We would wait for a bus to sit in the Lincoln Tunnel traffic to Port Authority, then the #7 train out to Shea which took about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how many times one needed to pee, sometimes longer.

You can`t fault people for doing what they want to. They paid for the ticket so I doubt Woody gives a rats arse what they do. Some fans are more loyal than others. I think those fans may need to get a bit of a life to be honest. It`s just a game. Entertainment is all it is. Fans don`t get rich from this game. Only the owners and players do and when they don`t show a desire to win, then why should the fans care any? Entertain me is all I want. When the Jets win, thats good entertainment. When they lose, it is NOT. They havn`t won anything in 40 YEARS!!!! 1998 was the as close as it has gotten to winning anything. 1982 was close too. Not much to die-hard for with these Jets.

Archived