The Myth of the Jets Fan

Maxman

For decades, I have thought that many--not all--of the wrong people have season tickets. These are the folks that split in the third quarter to avoid traffic, or are happier in the parking lot tailgating, rather than watching the game. I had part of a season ticket in the 80s--all the cold weather games since the older gentleman that owned the seats only wanted to go when it was warm--and we would stay until the game was over whether we were up by 20 or down by 30. My wife and I loved being in the stands, and didn't want to miss any of this privilege of watching the game live.

Spot on Tyson. I've been a jet fan since I was 12 years old but I've never claimed to be part of a great, loyal fan base. I've only been to a handful of games since I left New York right after High School and joined the Air Force but I know that each and every game I've gone to, there are tons of empty seats at kickoff and too many still empty approaching half time.

I was lucky enough to be in the states a couple of weeks ago and watch Favre throw six TDs and I remember looking around the stadium at kickoff and all I could think to myself was "Wow, Woody must be pissed". All the money he's poured in to this team to make them legit contender and still thousands of empty seats at kickoff. What more can the guy do? He went out and signed a few All-Pros, one lock for the HOF and another potential HOFer but the Jets still can't fill the stadium.

The icing on the cake for me was listening to thousands of Jets fans cheering Chads injury last season. I still love the team and I think there are a lot of great fans on the message boards, but collectively? Eh...

I have been to more Road games than I have been to the Jets stadium -- and by comparison the "home" fans are pathetic compared to ones on the road -- with the exception of Tampa Jets home fans lack passion -- its as if the just go though the motions -- yay or boo -- ever been to Denver and even Texan fans rock the house now thats the atmosphere I want to see at Jets game either when I attend or watch on TV -- now last weeks game sure sounded lame -- Im guessing CBS just toned down the fan noise - at least I hope so - and if so it pisses me off as a fan -- so all in all I agree with Tyson -- well said 4H

More than half the crowd left before then. Most of those left with 8:40 on the clock after the Bengals punted

I was saying to the people next to me that I was suprised how many people actually had stayed

Whatever, normally the crowd leaves real early...not this past sunday

We just don't have that big of a "diehard" fan base, it's true (whatever that really means I don't know, I don't consider myself diehard I just like watching football). Keep in mind that many of the teams that have a diehard fanbase had at least one glory period in their history. We have Joe Namath and his guarantee before half of the fans (myself included) were even born. Not an excuse to leave early but packed stadiums, arriving early, etc. are the end product of success, which we've had very little.

Btw, I thought the stadium was pretty loud and a good time on Sunday. People generally show up late and leave early in NY, people are busy, whatever, that's just how it is.

And the whole leaving early thing to avoid traffic is bs. Unless you leave at halftime then "leaving early" just allows you to leave with thousands of others leaving early. This past week my wife and I just chilled after the gun sounded, walked slowly to the car, got in and was out of the lot and on route 3 in about 15 minutes. Basically, so many left early (when cincy punted in the 4th) that there was little traffic after the game for those that stayed.

I will say this in defense of some of those that leave early: Due to the construction I believe there are less than 40,000 parking passes. That leaves about 40,000 ticket holders having to make a serious schlep to either shuttle buses or to the bus to port authority. It sucks to be in that situation and I don't blame those people for leaving early.

Simply put, no, we are not a diehard fanbase but I think we're doing ok.

There were a lot of people leaveing with 4 min. left ,which I never understand whats 4 more minutes we`ve waited what seems like forever for this team to get to the point where we can leave these games standing and cheering instead of complaining ,so what the hell are you people leaveing early for .This is the one things the PSL`s will probobly straighten out is ,if your spending $,4000 + on a PSL you will probobly stay till the end of the game

Excellent points ! Couldn't agree any more with the article. I have had seats since shea. THe no shows were at least 10000 no shows in my estimation. We have come no where close to the loud supportive fans we once were. When we were in contention in the 80's and even recent as the 98 season the fans base was more energetic and loud. We had a bit of a resurgence in the 2002 playoff season. but that was so short and unexpected. But that last game with GB and the indy playoff game was awesome, but didnt compare to the Jaguars playoff game in 98.We have become a very laid back beaten up fan base. What have you done for me lately. Think we need a real strong effort and a convincing win against a top contender to sway the base back into believing we can go deep into the playoffs, I dont miss a game, I dont leave till its over. I went to Playoff game in Houston and went to Championship game in Denver. The younger fans dont really know how we were 20 years ago. Look around the stands and figure out were all these paper plane throwers were 20 years ago. Even I am waiting for the shoe to drop on this season. I am cautiously optimistic. Hoping for the best, expecting the worse. Defense is showing great signs of coming together but something is lacking (coaching scheme/calls?) Offense is capable but must improve running game. We are as close as we have been in awhile. If they can gel a bit more with the state of the nfl this yer we are right there.

That's a lie

Baloney. The place emptied out with 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter. I thought a fire had broken out the way people stampeded up (and down) the aisles. I made a point of mentioning this to my sone and we were sitting there in amazement. If it is so important to beat the crowd, stay the eff home.

People leaving early I will never understand. I think more and more are concerned getting back to their tailgate than watching the actual football game to the end. You are not going anywhere with the traffic situation. I thought the crowd was a little better this week than the last game as far as noise.

Good article Tyson, and spot on. There are a lot of Jets fans that are hard core aand go to every game, gwet in their seat by kick off and stay until the end no matter the score or the Jets record. There are also a hell of a lot of us that travel to road games every year (economics dictates this, not how big of a fan you are). Unfortunately, there are a lot of others who are just there for the social event, come in late and run out the door, when the outcome of the game is in doubt. How do you do that crap? I would estimate that 40% of the people that attend the games do not have an emotional investment in this team and that makes for an apathetic crowd.

Living in Florida, I only get to go to one, maybe 2 games a year, but it always surprises me how so many times it seems like Jets fans are sitting on their hands, or making noise at the wrong times.

I don't know what's happened to the fan base. The arriving late and leaving early thing just baffles me. Man, If I'm going to spend a lot of money, and go through a lot of aggravation to go to a game, I'm sure not going to leave in the fourth quarter, with a 6 point lead. Crowd noise really does have an impact on a 2 minitue drill.

I know the construction is a hassle, but when I lived up there we used to go out into the parking lot after the game, have a few beers and talk about the game until the parking lot got reasonable.

The paper airplanes are just stupid

Nice job Tyson, great article. It's true and it's sad to say. The most fustrating part going to games is when it's third down NO MATTER whether were up 14 or down 3 that there are fans to left, right, back and front of me in there seats moving around to see the play. Maybe I'm just crazy but when its third down I'm on my feet banging on the chair infront of me and screaming at the top of my lungs and its amazing how the stadium just doesnt respond to third downs for years unless were talking 2003 vs. Indy and some division games through the years. You can't tell me I'm wrong here either and as far as the 10,000 empty seats go there was easy 10,000 empty seats most coming from upstairs. I can understand last season but when Brett Favre is your QB probably for a year hopefully two this isn't something that happens all the time, he is a hall a famer and on top of that were amongest the best record wise in the conference and league. It's a joke.

seriosu question??? WTF???

When I had season tix at Shea stands were full and full to end if close game..

so u r saying that not only are many not showing, but are showing late or leavin early??

Is this a sign of people now takin 'non fans' to games,,i.e. young kids and wives who dont really care?? In old days you RARELY saw very young kids at games, i.e. under 7/8 years old,,now, at UNC games, I see it all the time,,little shiits who dont really care and whine to go home etc..get a f'in babysitter...

I think at its nucleus the core Jet fans are pretty loyal/hardcore/whatever dumb adjective you wanna use...

Tickets are expensive...especially in New York, most of the average joes who are among the most passionate of Jet fans dont want to pay for season tix and I can't blame them. As a result, a lot of tickets are NY corporate/company tickets and it is understandable why those guys aren't getting rowdy...

It just kind of comes with the territory I guess...Same thing is happening in Boston...all my buddies who were watching Sox/Pats games back in the late 90s say the crowds were so much more intense. You wore a yanks hat to Fenway and you were gonna get ****, since Brady and the 2004 sox though Boston sports seem to have gone the way of more corporate tickets/wealthy half hearted fans, as a result the franchises can charge more and the average joes lose...

Although the giants always seem to get that stadium a lot louder than the Jets so ****ed if I know...

Good article Tyson, and spot on. There are a lot of Jets fans that are hard core aand go to every game, gwet in their seat by kick off and stay until the end no matter the score or the Jets record. There are also a hell of a lot of us that travel to road games every year (economics dictates this, not how big of a fan you are). Unfortunately, there are a lot of others who are just there for the social event, come in late and run out the door, when the outcome of the game is in doubt. How do you do that crap? I would estimate that 40% of the people that attend the games do not have an emotional investment in this team and that makes for an apathetic crowd.

I won't disagree with the article, but I don't think Giants fans are much better either. They arrive late and leave early. It's traffic plain and simple. The traffic around the stadium is a NIGHTMARE. If people could easily arrive and leave before and after the games we wouldn't have this problem.

With that said, Giants fans are much better as making noise than Jets fans. I honestly think we've all be burned so many times by the Jets we try not to get too into it for fear of dissapointment.

I think most of the "real" fans can't afford tickets. Look at how passionate we get even in the game threads, you'd think of most of us posting on this board were at the games we wouldn't have those problems.

Maybe in like a decade or something I'll be loaded, but right now I'm kinda poor lol. There's no way I can get to these games, especially the entire season.

Thanks guys and here I thought was going to get ripped to pieces. As for the empty seats this past Sunday, the upper level was a joke in some sections. And yes 124 there is an upper level in the stadium :)

i didn't really think the stadium was THAT empty, at least to begin with. There was one giant section in the corner of the endzone that was a complete ghost town, but that is the corner that all the visiting fans sit at. I don't know who has those tix, but it is pretty much a whole section and it is always reserved for visiting team fans. As anyone who was at the game knows, Bengals fans at the game were extremely rare so it made sense that the whole section would be empty. But other than that i wouldn't say empty seats were that big a deal, at least to my eye.

1. Jets havent won sh#t in 40 years. That doesnt help.

2. Most Jets fans live in Long Island, not Jersey. Just a fact. That will be different 10+ years from now, but right now, that is still the case.

3. Jets play in Giants stadium. Say whatever you want - its a disgrace.

Once we win another Superbowl, the Jets roots in Jersey become strong forming a bigger local fanbase, and we get to play in a "neutral" stadium (still bad, but not as pathetic) - things will be different.

Maybe.

Archived