YANKS BLAME BOSOCKED FAN

Lil Bit Special

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11152008/news/regionalnews/yanks_blame_bosocked_fan_138828.htm

He asked for it.

A Red Sox fan who got pummeled for cheering on his team at Yankee Stadium should have known to keep his mouth shut, the Bombers said in court papers.

Charles Hillios, who is suing the Yanks for the beat-down, "assumed the risk of foreseeable injury based on his own conduct," according to a federal court filing.

The team also contends that it's "not liable for the alleged intentional conduct" of the two goons who battered the Bosox booster inside The House that Ruth Built in August.

Shawn Sellick, 27, and Daniel Benjamin, 24, attacked Hillios after he cheered for a Sox home run. They followed him to a concession stand where they tossed him to the ground and kicked him.

Hillios, who needed eye surgery after the assault, could not be reached for comment.

Both Sellick and Benjamin pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault in the case. Neither man could be reached for comment.

So, in effect, the Yankees are condoning this behavior.

Exactly. Act like an asshat and you'll get your ass kicked.

Its not the responsibility of the team to make sure he doesnt get a beat down. They provide reasonable security and have rules and regulations regarding fan conduct. Outside of that, people need to accept responsibility for their actions.

Team is just protecting itself from lawsuits

Its not the responsibility of the team to make sure he doesnt get a beat down. They provide reasonable security and have rules and regulations regarding fan conduct. Outside of that, people need to accept responsibility for their actions.

Maybe it's just me, but cheering for a home run doesn't make you an asshat.

What does make you an asshat is beating someone up for cheering for a different team than yours.

I will agree that he shouldn't be suing the Yanks, he should be suing the two asshats who beat him up. But they're Yankee fans, so they're probably broke.;)

What does make you an asshat is beating someone up for cheering for a different team than yours.

I will agree that he shouldn't be suing the Yanks, he should be suing the two asshats who beat him up. But they're Yankee fans, so they're probably broke.;)

There's the key right there. A couple douchebags in the stands are not the fault of the club. They should have been arrested for assault.

BTW - cheering for a home run does NOT make you an asshat. Being a Red Sox fan makes you an asshat. ;)

I doubt he got his ass kicked just because he cheered a home run... but then again Yankee fans do have serious mental issues so its quite possible....:D

And kicking someone's ass because of a baseball game... dumb.

I have to disagree.

It is the team's responsibility. It is not enough if there are rules and regulations. They must be enforced as well. Otherwise they are meaningless and the team is essentially condoning the action's of their fans.

Just because they are Yankee fans in Yankee Stadium does not give them or the team a free pass to a premeditated attack.

I have to disagree.

It is the team's responsibility. It is not enough if there are rules and regulations. They must be enforced as well. Otherwise they are meaningless and the team is essentially condoning the action's of their fans.

Just because they are Yankee fans in Yankee Stadium does not give them or the team a free pass to a premeditated attack.

So should we assign a security person to every out of town fan?

There was no way for security to prevent this from happening. The ass hats followed the guy and kicked his ass. What exactly should the Yankees do to prevent this?

If security caught the guys they would be ejected and probably arrested.

So should we assign a security person to every out of town fan?

There was no way for security to prevent this from happening. The ass hats followed the guy and kicked his ass. What exactly should the Yankees do to prevent this?

If security caught the guys they would be ejected and probably arrested.

I realize it is impossible to prevent that type of behavior short of having that machine from Minority Report.

If security sets a standard and enforces it, that will be a deterent to most of those types of attacks. It will not be perfect, You will always have those guys like in Chicago and this that are on the lower end of the gene pool.

BTW how about that whooping UNH put on UMASS? ;)

I realize it is impossible to prevent that type of behavior short of having that machine from Minority Report.

If security sets a standard and enforces it, that will be a deterent to most of those types of attacks. It will not be perfect, You will always have those guys like in Chicago and this that are on the lower end of the gene pool.

BTW how about that whooping UNH put on UMASS? ;)

Its a tough spot for security to be in. Some fans can behave and have good-natured ribbing between them. Others it can turn violent (as we see at games every weekend) If you go too far with enforcement then you have people being ejected for no good reason and ruining a game day experience. Can security be better? Yep. I think the biggest deterrent is issuing harsh penalties for committing acts of violence at a sporting event. If the punishment is severe enough, people wont commit the crime.

I look at my actions at the UMass Lowell/ UNH hockey game from friday night I attended with 124 and Gainzo. Now, Im not a Lowell fan, but I hate UNH. And we were right next to the penalty box. So I shared a few pleasantries with the visitors to the sin bin.

Some UNH fans were unhappy with my actions and if they would have attacked me I wouldnt have blamed security. It would have been my fault. (I did have 124 and Gainzo to protect me :))

However, the security guy was doing his rounds when I was doing some of my talking and he didnt even flinch, and really he should have told me to shut up. But he took it as part of a fans experience and I was smart enough (and not drunk enough) to mouth off to the UNH faithful. I have this feeling that the victim wasnt the happy little fan he probably has tried to portray himself as.

And I need to know why Im defending the Yankees... I feel dirty.

Uh... It was embarrassing. Good thing they lost to Maine the week before to hurt their playoff chances. UNH just pounded the nails in the coffin.

True enough, it's being a Sox fan that makes one an asshat.

Its a tough spot for security to be in. Some fans can behave and have good-natured ribbing between them. Others it can turn violent (as we see at games every weekend) If you go too far with enforcement then you have people being ejected for no good reason and ruining a game day experience. Can security be better? Yep. I think the biggest deterrent is issuing harsh penalties for committing acts of violence at a sporting event. If the punishment is severe enough, people wont commit the crime.

I look at my actions at the UMass Lowell/ UNH hockey game from friday night I attended with 124 and Gainzo. Now, Im not a Lowell fan, but I hate UNH. And we were right next to the penalty box. So I shared a few pleasantries with the visitors to the sin bin.

Some UNH fans were unhappy with my actions and if they would have attacked me I wouldnt have blamed security. It would have been my fault. (I did have 124 and Gainzo to protect me :))

However, the security guy was doing his rounds when I was doing some of my talking and he didnt even flinch, and really he should have told me to shut up. But he took it as part of a fans experience and I was smart enough (and not drunk enough) to mouth off to the UNH faithful. I have this feeling that the victim wasnt the happy little fan he probably has tried to portray himself as.

And I need to know why Im defending the Yankees... I feel dirty.

Uh... It was embarrassing. Good thing they lost to Maine the week before to hurt their playoff chances. UNH just pounded the nails in the coffin.

The security guard probably hated UNH as well. ;)

I think heckling can be done and is a part of the game as long as it does not go overboard towards family members (i.e. Jason Kidd's wife) and stays within the boundaries of the field.

Yeah, I would be curios to see how that guy celebrated.

The security guard probably hated UNH as well. ;)

I think heckling can be done and is a part of the game as long as it does not go overboard towards family members (i.e. Jason Kidd's wife) and stays within the boundaries of the field.

Yeah, I would be curios to see how that guy celebrated.

Well... knowing ass hat NY fans.. they were probably giving him sh!t all game. Sawx did good. He taunts back. They call him a fat f#ck. He offers to kick their ass. Goes to get celebratory hot dog and nachos. ass hats follow him and cheap shot him while his nacho cheese spills to the dirty ground.

BTW, was it wrong when I called the player a piece of garbage and that he sucks better than his momma?

He did call me fat. :D

Well... knowing ass hat NY fans.. they were probably giving him sh!t all game. Sawx did good. He taunts back. They call him a fat f#ck. He offers to kick their ass. Goes to get celebratory hot dog and nachos. ass hats follow him and cheap shot him while his nacho cheese spills to the dirty ground.

BTW, was it wrong when I called the player a piece of garbage and that he sucks better than his momma?

He did call me fat. :D

Only if you had pictures of said incident.

The only way this tool has a case would be if security watched the beatdown and didn't do anything about it.

Good luck to him trying to find witness' to testify on his behalf.

This isn't about Sox/Yanks it's about an arsehole trying to make a quick buck.

The only way this tool has a case would be if security watched the beatdown and didn't do anything about it.

Probably true.

I almost got into a fight at Yankee stadium about 4 years ago. I was in the upper deck in right field and this dude was wasted in the 1st inning. he kept spilling his beer on me and my GF. so I grabbed her and we walked up two rows and got behind him. then I executed my beer splash on him and asked him how he liked it. he had no testicles and I was being told vehemently by the other half to cease all splashing. I had a good buzz cooking too and was in no mood to take any ****. :lol:

I almost got into a fight at Yankee stadium about 4 years ago. I was in the upper deck in right field and this dude was wasted in the 1st inning. he kept spilling his beer on me and my GF. so I grabbed her and we walked up two rows and got behind him. then I executed my beer splash on him and asked him how he liked it. he had no testicles and I was being told vehemently by the other half to cease all splashing. I had a good buzz cooking too and was in no mood to take any ****. :lol:

Have you ever considered checking into an anger management class...:bwahaharoll::rl::rl:

So, in effect, the Yankees are condoning this behavior.

No. They aren't condoning it. They're saying that they aren't liable for what happened. This ******* is suing the Yankees because someone kicked his ass at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees have no duty to assign the secret service to cover the ass of every Sox fan who shows up.

Is this now a FORMER GF ? Just askin.....:biggrin:

I have to disagree.

Agreed. Any fan in any stadium should expect to be reasonably safe. This was not a case of injury by a foul ball or the like.

Agreed. Any fan in any stadium should expect to be reasonably safe. This was not a case of injury by a foul ball or the like.

But what could have the Yankees done to prevent this incident from happening?

Assign a security guard to every out of town fan? This wasnt something that happened and the security force turned their back. There was no way for them to prevent this.

And I'm sure he wasnt just an innocent fan who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Good point Gainzo. Legally, the Yankees don't have a duty to go above and beyond normal security at the stadium (which is usually pretty damn good). The guy who was hurt has no more claim against the Yankees than he would if the beating had taken place in Times Square.

I don't blame him for suing the Yankees, but I think it would be completely ridiculous and unfounded if the court doesn't dismiss the case against the team ASAP.

So long as the Yankees provided reasonable security (and I've been to the stadium a lot... they definitely do), they cannot be liable for the actions of two fans that they had no control over.

Had there been security present that failed to act, or had the Yankees not provided their usual amount of security, then yes, they would be liable. Beyond that, this guy was aware that the fans around him were hostile, and should have been more careful.

Hilarious. The best part about this is , that my worst experience at a stadium was at a Yankees vs Oakland game in Oaktown. i posted it before, but my wife and I got showered with hot dogs and beer for a few innings. Til I went to the bathroom and filled up 4 cups full of piss. I brought them back and told the douches behind me, if thet threw one nmore thing at us, they were getting "surprise" juice on them. Old trick I learned from my Uncle , a 20 year Jets season ticket holder. They make all kinds of comments and never did a thing after that. I was ready to go down swinging, but i out smarted them. Not hard to do in that area.

Archived