Dustin Keller- props to scouting staff

faba

Many questions from Jet fans including myself about him being picked in the draft- the guy is a player and a great pick by Tannebaum and co.

Sometimes we all need a reminder that the Team Brass knows just a little bit more than all of us. Among other things they got paid to sit around and watch hours and hours of Dustin Keller film. Since Keller had no pre draft hype, most of the Nation simply complained. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Speaking of Team Brass, when you look at some of the solid starters they have brought in via the draft, they deserve some props: Revis, Harris, Leon Washington, Keller, Mangold, DBrick....

Could be a lot worse off.

I agree, Dustin Keller has really come on these past few weeks. He's clearly a focal point of the offense now. Favre looks for him in EVERY big situation, and defenses don't even try to cover him, they assume he will just get a completion so they just commit penalties instead.

He is our best WR. Coles makes a nice #2, and Cotch is a very good #3. But Keller is really our only WR that can get consistent separation.

Keller has been outstanding.

I would like to see us use him a little differently from time to time. Right now we are only using him to move the chains, which is great. Every 3rd down I was screaming...."DK time!!!!"

We need to use him as a H-Back and start getting him into some space. The guy is super fast and can be used as a game changer.

Other than that, love what Keller brings to the table.

Dustin keller is a monster.

I just bought his jersey! :)

I got the inside word I have a JETS jersey coming as a gift for christmas... not keller though... an Authentic ECURB #9 jersey... Im excited about it!

I would get Keller but Im broke!

I would like to see us use him a little differently from time to time. Right now we are only using him to move the chains, which is great. Every 3rd down I was screaming...."DK time!!!!"

We need to use him as a H-Back and start getting him into some space.

We've been getting him in space by splitting him out as a Y and running the slant combinations that Favre likes. It's a fairly new wrinkle in terms of seeing it in the games but it's never been a secret that we've been working Keller at all the receiver positions.

We've been getting him in space by splitting him out as a Y and running the slant combinations that Favre likes. It's a fairly new wrinkle in terms of seeing it in the games but it's never been a secret that we've been working Keller at all the receiver positions.

True. My point was more so that we have been using him in more traditional receiver fashion.

We havent run any screen or tried sending him out of the back field...kinda like the Redskins use Cooley.

I agree, Dustin Keller has really come on these past few weeks. He's clearly a focal point of the offense now. Favre looks for him in EVERY big situation, and defenses don't even try to cover him, they assume he will just get a completion so they just commit penalties instead.

He is our best WR. Coles makes a nice #2, and Cotch is a very good #3. But Keller is really our only WR that can get consistent separation.

Yeah maybe a little to much, he tried to squeeze that ball in to him in the end zone when he had Baker wide open all alone on the left....

Many questions from Jet fans including myself about him being picked in the draft- the guy is a player and a great pick by Tannebaum and co.

I too was quite surprised that we indeed picked a TE. I considered that a position of relative strenght going into the draft. Great pick by Tangini.

I thought a great pick from day one

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55126&highlight=keller

post_old.gif 05-17-2008, 10:37 AM

"1st off,,if u think he is aTE u be wrong,,hback...

i think he will be a HUGE success,,I fear Gholston may have more trouble making impact than Keller.."

I too was quite surprised that we indeed picked a TE. I considered that a position of relative strenght going into the draft. Great pick by Tangini.

It wasn't a position of relative strength. Baker was bitching about his contract from before the end of last season. Picking Keller let them force Baker's hand. Besides, Baker and Franks are barely adequate. I think he was looked at as more of a sure bet playmaker than any of the available WRs.

We need to use him as a H-Back and start getting him into some space. The guy is super fast and can be used as a game changer.

Other than that, love what Keller brings to the table.

That reminded me of WC.

Yeah maybe a little to much, he tried to squeeze that ball in to him in the end zone when he had Baker wide open all alone on the left....

Wrong. Favre actually made a great decision there. He wasn't really squeezing because Keller was open too. The problem was that Favre didn't have a throwing lane to either of them. Throwing a bullet to Keller instead of a float to Baker is the call there roughly 100% of the time.

Looking back at what the FO has moved up to get or targeted. I think they made major blunders in not replacing DRob sooner and thinking Van OleHoffen was anything but awful. Here are the highlights...IMO.

Dustin Keller - Traded up with the Packers at number 30 giving up, 36th and another late round pick

Packers then took, 36th - Jordy Nelson WR

Darelle Revis - traded with Carolina, they then drafted with our picks:

25th - Jon Beason - LB

59th - Ryan Kalil - center

164th - Tim Shaw - LB (penn state) not many notables after this pick either

Thomas Jones - Traded with Chicago gave up our 37th for their 63rd and Jones

*Had we stayed at 37 we could have drafted one of these running backs (in order of actual drafting) Kenny Irons, Chris Henry or Brian Leonard and we would have not had the 63rd pick which we then traded to Green Bay where they took Brandon Jackson. In short, we could have had an Ok running back with the 37th or taken a guard that was taken shortly after and still wish we had instead of jones, Justin Blalock. The FO still made a decent move as we look back.

--In short, we got Jones and Stuckey, the bears didn't turn their pick into much.

David Harris -

Jets Got - 47th David Harris and 235th Chansi Stuckey.

Packers Got - 63rd (selected RB Brandon Jackson), 89th (selected S Aaron Rouse) and 191st (selected LB Korey Hall).

Kris Jenkins

Brett Favre - didn't have enough time to add what we gave up for them, coupled with trading away vilma and d-rob.

With all this trading, we seemed to give up a lot of picks (and we did) but so far we have seen some real quality when the FO sees a target. If Keller does pan out, the Jets have to give their scouting department major kudos for their analysis.

Wrong. Favre actually made a great decision there. He wasn't really squeezing because Keller was open too. The problem was that Favre didn't have a throwing lane to either of them. Throwing a bullet to Keller instead of a float to Baker is the call there roughly 100% of the time.

Interesting take.. He was on the other side of the field and I assume 53 would've made a play on baker as well..

But Favre actually threw a float to Keller ;)

Interesting take.. He was on the other side of the field and I assume 53 would've made a play on baker as well..

Yeah. It's pretty clear that Baker was either too late or too nonchalant with his release. If he breaks out hard a split second earlier Favre can loft it to the pylon. As it turned out, Baker was only a couple steps off the line when Favre had to throw so there was just no place he could put it. You're probably right that there ought to have been a bit more on the throw to Keller, but that doesn't change the fact that Favre made the correct decision.

Archived