Angels mega-offer to CC could change market

NIGHT STALKER

Posted by: Jon Heyman CNNSI 04:46 PM ET

The Angels reportedly are about to make an offer to superstar free agent pitcher CC Sabathia that will approach the Yankees' $140-million bid of a couple week ago, and if the Angels can steal Sabathia, that may change the entire free-agent landscape.

The Los Angeles Times reported today that the Angels are focusing on Sabathia right now while remaining interested in free agent first baseman Mark Teixeira, who's been called their top target all along. The report suggested the Angels may be turning to Sabathia in part because they have come to believe they will have trouble making a quick deal for Teixeira.

Their owner Moreno has the money to throw around. CC does not seem to want to go to the Yankees or he would have been locked up already- probably good for the Yanks IMO. I can not see him in the class with Santana and all that money and years is a risk.

Their owner Moreno has the money to throw around. CC does not seem to want to go to the Yankees or he would have been locked up already- probably good for the Yanks IMO. I can not see him in the class with Santana and all that money and years is a risk.

The Brewers certainly got their moneys worth. They pitched the **** out of him. :biggrin:

He is either a help to the Yankees, or he is not.

Since when did the Yankees worry about money?

There is a difference between spending a lot for a guy and giving out record breaking contracts.

If they give him 180 million and it does impact what they can do elsewhere. They may have a bigger budget but it does have a limit.

What's your point ? Every team does it when it works in their favor.

My point is I find it funny that "price" would be a determining factor in fielding the best team for the Yankees.

George always said it wasn't so. Do whatever it takes to win, you know.

I also find it funny that some (ansky) fans first said they wanted CC, but now will allow cost to drive him away?

My point is I find it funny that "price" would be a determining factor in fielding the best team for the Yankees.

George always said it wasn't so. Do whatever it takes to win, you know.

I also find it funny that some (ansky) fans first said they wanted CC, but now will allow cost to drive him away?

If he signs for 140 mill. I'll be glad to put him in the starting rotation. I don't think he is worth more than that. He is in bad shape physically and has lots of innings on that arm. Can you get that through your thick skull? Stop telling me what I said before. I know what I posted. Shouldn't you be more concerned with YOUR team anyway?

If he signs for 140 mill. I'll be glad to put him in the starting rotation. I don't think he is worth more than that. He is in bad shape physically and has lots of innings on that arm. Can you get that through your thick skull? Stop telling me what I said before. I know what I posted. Shouldn't you be more concerned with YOUR team anyway?

Little sensitive for an internet tough guy, aren't ya? ;)

At least we know your ceiling on Sabathia. 140 mill, good deal.

141 bad deal.

Let's see how it plays out.

Little sensitive for an internet tough guy, aren't ya? ;)

At least we know your ceiling on Sabathia. 140 mill, good deal.

141 bad deal.

Let's see how it plays out.

Stop concerning yourself with what the Yankees are doing. You have bigger problems to deal with on your merengue club. Oh, and I have your "internet tough guy" hanging right here for you.

Wanting him and wanting him for 180+ million are two different things.

If he signs elsewhere they can just overpay for Burnett and/or Lowe......The CC money can be moved to a Tex offer and Swisher can be dealt for a arm if need be. Ozzie did not have too much good to say about Swisher in Chicago for what it's worth.

I think the Yanks are in better shape if they spread CC's offer elsewhere. I know some say 1B is being reserved for Jete or ARod but I'd rather Tex and a couple of lesser pitchers than CC and Swisher.

If he signs elsewhere they can just overpay for Burnett and/or Lowe......The CC money can be moved to a Tex offer and Swisher can be dealt for a arm if need be. Ozzie did not have too much good to say about Swisher in Chicago for what it's worth.

I think the Yanks are in better shape if they spread CC's offer elsewhere. I know some say 1B is being reserved for Jete or ARod but I'd rather Tex and a couple of lesser pitchers than CC and Swisher.

Overpaying for Burnett and/or Lowe is extremely stupid and desperate.

Overpaying for Burnett and/or Lowe is extremely stupid and desperate.

And your alternative 2009 rotation is ????? Remember, last years farm system hype of Generation Trey has basically been scrapped for now with Joba the only rotation sure thing and even that probably comes with a innings limit again. Yanks can afford to overpay and eat any resulting mistakes that may come from that.

Really?

When did they overpay for two end of career pitchers?

No, those are your Yankees in Stage 3 Panic Mode.

No this is what you are hoping for. I love how you know what they are going to do. After a few Sox World Series victories you would think your Yankee big brother phobia would have gone away.

I guess not, lol.

And your alternative 2009 rotation is ????? Remember, last years farm system hype of Generation Trey has basically been scrapped for now with Joba the only rotation sure thing and even that probably comes with a innings limit again. Yanks can afford to overpay and eat any resulting mistakes that may come from that.

I think Lowe would be worthy of a contract. Burnett scares me. I definitely agree that Sabathia is the centerpiece in their mind of this offseason.

But honestly in the AL he has been good. Not Cy Young good though which is a concern.

They have a lot riding on Joba. With Wang coming back he and Joba would make a good 1 - 2 punch. They would make an even better 2 - 3 punch. I still think they will get CC. I guess overpaying for him makes more sense than overpaying for hte other guys.

Just don't want and don't think they are going to throw crazy money at all of these guys. The Yankees showed great restraint last year. They took a step back as a result but they don't get any credit for showing restraint.

No this is what you are hoping for. I love how you know what they are going to do. After a few Sox World Series victories you would think your Yankee big brother phobia would have gone away.

I guess not, lol.

The Yankees have a recent history of throwing good money after bad.

The Yankees sign several risky and/or old FA pitchers over the last decade and when arguably the best pitcher in the league is available, Johan Santana, they take a pass.

History suggests they will overpay.

The Yankees sign several risky and/or old FA pitchers over the last decade and when arguably the best pitcher in the league is available, Johan Santana, they take a pass.

So you admit that stupid Yankee mistakes is the reason for your recent success then...because if you go by history like you're saying, this all started several years ago. Prior to that, Yanks won four titles...not to worry though, I have confidence this will all come full circle and the Sox will be back to that long drought of second banana. And I'm giving the Sox way too much credit here with the "second banana" title.

History tells us that the Yankees win the World Series every four years or so. I am okay with history.

Recent history (last year) showed that the Yankees were trying to develop some kid pitchers. Joba is looking good, the others have more to prove. I am just not convinced that they are going to overpay for 3 pitchers in one off season.

But the Yankees have a funny way of proving people wrong. So I am just going to sit back and watch what they do this year.

Really?

When did they overpay for two end of career pitchers?

No, those are your Yankees in Stage 3 Panic Mode.

I really don't know what the Patriots have to do with anything lol.

And I'm a Yankee fan, but sure sounds like the poster was making as desperate to change the subject as the Yankees will be desperate to overpay should they luck out on Sabathia.

Archived