What's the upside?

ZachEY

I know this game is not the end of the world, but I was on the phone with my father afterward... he apologized for making me a Jet fan...

I'm wondering, what's the upside? We never win, we usually suck. Even when we think we're good, we're disappointed.

Seriously, I know I'm addicted or I wouldn't be posting here, but what is the upside of being a Jet fan? Why would anyone want to be one?

It's like going to the dentist, I feel like I have to do it, but I'm certainly never happy about it.

Any insights?

You could always be a Cardinals or Lions fan -- see how you feel then

I was thinking something more along the lines of a hobby, something with some reward. Hell, gardening sounds better than being a Jets fan. At least I'd get some food out of it. Rather than depression.

I know this game is not the end of the world, but I was on the phone with my father afterward... he apologized for making me a Jet fan...

I'm wondering, what's the upside? We never win, we usually suck. Even when we think we're good, we're disappointed.

Seriously, I know I'm addicted or I wouldn't be posting here, but what is the upside of being a Jet fan? Why would anyone want to be one?

It's like going to the dentist, I feel like I have to do it, but I'm certainly never happy about it.

Any insights?

Its quite simple actually. Its an addiction. We were brought on by relatives or friends, we were brought on during a successful season and had fun watching each and every game. But just like every other addiction, there comes a point where there is no more high, and you just need a fix to feel normal again. Thats what it is to be a Jets fan. We are addicted, we do not enjoy it, we are always expecting the worst, and many times we get it. I cant remember the last time I really enjoyed being a Jets fan. I guess '06 was the only year in recent history that it was somewhat fun, considering we were supposed to win 4 or 5 games that year and we ended uo winning 10 and earning a playoff berth. But just like always, we all got hope in Mangini and Pennington, and the Same Ol' Jets came back the next season to go 4-12.

Being a fan is what I consider people who actually enjoy and have fun rooting for their team and watching the games. Being addicted is what I consider people who can't stop thinking about their teams upcoming and past games, and spend every minute of evert game, not enjoying it as it happens, but waiting for your team to disappoint you. That, I think, describes many many Jet fans, and most people on this board.

Any insights?

Honestly I'll tell you what my woman said to me probably the 4th Jet game she ever watched with me. We're gluttons for punishment. It validates our true fandom.

On another note my buddy is a die-hard life long lions fan. He says it gives him a "yea well" factor. For example "yea well your team lost but mine is 0-13." or "yea well you got nothing to complain about, my team is 40-100 something in the past 8 years." It could work like that as well

Its quite simple actually. Its an addiction. We were brought on by relatives or friends, we were brought on during a successful season and had fun watching each and every game. But just like every other addiction, there comes a point where there is no more high, and you just need a fix to feel normal again. Thats what it is to be a Jets fan. We are addicted, we do not enjoy it, we are always expecting the worst, and many times we get it. I cant remember the last time I really enjoyed being a Jets fan. I guess '06 was the only year in recent history that it was somewhat fun, considering we were supposed to win 4 or 5 games that year and we ended uo winning 10 and earning a playoff berth. But just like always, we all got hope in Mangini and Pennington, and the Same Ol' Jets came back the next season to go 4-12.

Being a fan is what I consider people who actually enjoy and have fun rooting for their team and watching the games. Being addicted is what I consider people who can't stop thinking about their teams upcoming and past games, and spend every minute of evert game, not enjoying it as it happens, but waiting for your team to disappoint you. That, I think, describes many many Jet fans, and most people on this board.

You're probably right.

And all addictions require a support group.

Enter, Jet Nation

As a follow-up, do you think there are any 'Jet fans' then, or just addicts? Because I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying watching this team.

Being a fan of any team is a a losing proposition. There are 31 losers every year and 32 teams. As a fan you just have to believe that this is the play, game or season that it is our turn.

True, I've only been a diehard for 24 seasons so I'm not even due yet.

You're probably right.

And all addictions require a support group.

Enter, Jet Nation

As a follow-up, do you think there are any 'Jet fans' then, or just addicts? Because I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying watching this team.

Those who would describe themselves as "casual Jets fans" who tune in to watch when they get the chance, and root for the Jets, would probably be more 'fans'. If you're on this board though and have been a Jets fan for a long time, you're probably more of an addict than fan.

You could always be a Cardinals or Lions fan -- see how you feel then

browns fans finally got quinn in the game, and he's done for they year

bills started 3-0, now they are 6-7

green bay started on fire, now they are 5-8 after going 13-3

chargers are loaded, and somehow 5-8

jacksonville - del rio has lost the team and they are 4-9

the chiefs have hermy

the saints have an MVP at QB, and won't probably make the PO's

hey, this game is fun !

Any insights?

When we hoist the Super Bowl trophy in February you will understand. It will be the greatest thing to happen in your life. Family and friends will call, visit and share congratulations that you suffered through so much and now you reached the promise land.

I cant wait until we win one. All those years of mediocrity and awfulness will be worth it. That is my one hope... that we win before I die. If not...

When we hoist the Super Bowl trophy in February you will understand. It will be the greatest thing to happen in your life. Family and friends will call, visit and share congratulations that you suffered through so much and now you reached the promise land.

I cant wait until we win one. All those years of mediocrity and awfulness will be worth it. That is my one hope... that we win before I die. If not...

When?

And I really hope it's not 'the greatest thing to happen in my life', as much as I'm obviously 'addicted' to this team, that wouldn't say much about my quality of life, I'd think.

If not you always have UMass Hockey. :)

When?

And I really hope it's not 'the greatest thing to happen in my life', as much as I'm obviously 'addicted' to this team, that wouldn't say much about my quality of life, I'd think.

Well if you had played pro sports then you would ACTUALLY understand why this would be so wonderful. Pfft, what do you know, non-pro-sports guy

Being a Jet fan, and I say this quite honestly, has helped me cope with failure. I used to be the type of person that would dwell on failure and negativity. Now I've learned it's really not the worst thing. I'm still alive, so is my family, so are my friends.

In fact I got over and pretty much forgot about this loss approximately 2 hours afterward and have been doing so for the past few seasons.

I'd say the Doug Brien game was really the dagger which helped cure me (was that a painful pill though.)

Anyway, I have given this serious thought before and feel that I can genuinely point to being a Jets fan as a character builder.

I have to admitt, the Mets fans are really good at this. It's like September all over again and again. and again. :rim:

Eventually we will win one in our lifetime EY, eventually. I'll admit though, sometimes it feels like we never will. I'm just happy I got miss out on seasons from 1970 to 1986. I cut out 16 years of pain and waiting. And if I live to say 80, I still have 59 chances.

Hmm, 59 doesn't seem like its that high of a number.

When?

Feb '09.

And it would be the greatest thing.

Everything else is easily accomplished. Marriage. Children. almost anybody can do that. Being a suffering Jets fan for years? Small minority are able to do that and not commit suicide.

Archived