Play Action

LockeJET

What happened to this? We never sell the play fake. Favre sometimes sticks the ball out but you can tell he's not handing it off. Why dont we ever try and stick it totally in the rb's belly, pull it out and truly sell the fake?

Especially with how successful we have been running the ball, you would think the play action would be a must. This was always Pennington's strength, he would sell it perfectly. Sometimes even turn around and stand there like he didnt have the ball.

Executing the play fake would allow our slower wrs to get behind the LB's and get open on some 20-30 yard routes over the middle. We either hit a quick slant and get yack or chuck the ball deep with nobody open. All season long we can't hit a pass over the middle for 20 yards? Thats nuts. Even with a week armed Pennington we were able to play-action and hit some 20-30 yard crossing routes, etc...

Can Favre not sell the fake? Or are we not allowing him to due a true play action?

I think our coaches dont like using it. They rarely used it with Chad last year and he might be the best in the NFL not named Manning at running that play. I think the philosophy of the staff is that you confuse the team before the snap by calling plays at the line, putting multiple guys in motion(which they have basically scrapped for Favre), passing when you should run, running when you should pass, multiple sub packages, believing teams fear that Brad Smith could play QB, etc... and then once the ball is snapped you have the advantage. I think its part of the disconnect that seems to have developed between the Jets players and coaches. The staff thinks you can simply outthink a team on the sidelines to win and players always feel that can just win by being allowed to be aggressive on the field and simply play the game. They seem to get very tight in games where they have a clear athletic advantage and I think the players are resenting it.

What happened to this? We never sell the play fake. Favre sometimes sticks the ball out but you can tell he's not handing it off. Why dont we ever try and stick it totally in the rb's belly, pull it out and truly sell the fake?

Especially with how successful we have been running the ball, you would think the play action would be a must. This was always Pennington's strength, he would sell it perfectly. Sometimes even turn around and stand there like he didnt have the ball.

Executing the play fake would allow our slower wrs to get behind the LB's and get open on some 20-30 yard routes over the middle. We either hit a quick slant and get yack or chuck the ball deep with nobody open. All season long we can't hit a pass over the middle for 20 yards? Thats nuts. Even with a week armed Pennington we were able to play-action and hit some 20-30 yard crossing routes, etc...

Can Favre not sell the fake? Or are we not allowing him to due a true play action?

Favre can definitely sell the fake. Do you remember that play action bomb to Cotchery in week 1? Go watch the replay, it is unfreaking believable how good that fake was. In my short years, I've never seen a fake better than that by ANY Qb at ANY time.

Favre can definitely sell the fake. Do you remember that play action bomb to Cotchery in week 1? Go watch the replay, it is unfreaking believable how good that fake was. In my short years, I've never seen a fake better than that by ANY Qb at ANY time.

I don't know about the best ever, but Favre is certainly good at it. I've been scratching my head about this. It's worked very well several times this season, seemingly everytime we use it???

Because when Favre lines up under center it is a running play and if it is a pass he will be in the shotgun. Using play action would disturb that delicate balance.

:rl:

Don't forget they can pass from under center... but only if TJ is closer to the line... if he is 10 yards back... RUN!

I don't know about the best ever, but Favre is certainly good at it. I've been scratching my head about this. It's worked very well several times this season, seemingly everytime we use it???

I'm not saying Favre is the best PA quarterback or that he made the best PA of all time. All I'm saying is that in my experience i've never seen a fake as good as the one he put on the Phins in week 1. Go to nfl.com and watch it. I'm still finding it hard to believe he had the ball the whole time, it's like it disappeared and reappeared.

Because when Favre lines up under center it is a running play and if it is a pass he will be in the shotgun. Using play action would disturb that delicate balance.

:rl:

I was creaming at the TV on every 1st down. ''Play action pass''!!!

The coaches have to reevaluate themselves.

Archived