Choose...

madmike1

Which one do you want?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which one do you want?

• Tannenbaum
    • Cowher

So just to clarify Mike you hated all of the offseason moves right? or what the Jets just overpaid for everyone? And now Mike T is the end all be all at personnel? So Mangini and Terry Bradway did not contribute to any of this?

No I liked the offseason moves. But they were all no brainer money moves, not great football moves. Woody spent and it's NOT hard to buy players. Also the draft SUCKED.

A few of "the accountants" so called "no brainer" moves...

Brought in a RT who was BENCHED by the DETROIT LIONS and had only started a few games at RT but "the accountant" was willing to take a gamble on him and the guy anchored the right side of an O-line that led to arguably the best season for a RB in the history of this franchise. Nice move accountant.

Brought in an OLB who'd had only one big season in his career and was widely viewed as a draft bust who was a one year wonder. Countless reports said that only two teams were making serious offers to Pace. Bill Parcells' Dolphins and "the accountant". Nice move accountant.

After all the off-season moves we had to listen to certain posters piss, moan, whine, bitch and cry about how we still didn't have a QB. The accountant went out and got a Hall-of-Fame QB who was coming off of one of his best seasons ever and was coveted by other teams in need of a QB. "The accountant" got the hall-of-famer to agree to a meeting and whatever he said..it worked. Regardless of the results the Jets got, he pulled off a deal that addressed the #1 position of need and managed to get the players permission to do the deal. Yeah, just an accountant. Any GM could have pulled that off.

Oh, and how much have the accountants drafts sucked? Oh lets count the ways. D' Brick, Mangold, Washington, Rhodes, Harris, Revis, Stuckey...all a bunch of scrubs.

Lets not forget the draft picks he threw away to bring in the likes of Thomas Jones and Kris Jenkins who are just taking up space and making no contributions to the teams success. But I'm sure Jenkins, coming off of a couple of sub par years and weighing in close to 400 pounds was another "no-brainer". Jones? Another no-brainer. What GM wouldn't make a run at a RB creeping up to that magical age of 30. We all know how RBs excel once they get over that hill. Adding a 30 y/o RB, another "no brainer" right?

I know angrymichael, I know...you would have done better. Every single player you selected would have spent this and every other year in a Jets uniform being in the pro-bowl celebrating their super bowl victories but we're stuck with "the accountant" who has made great acquisitions both through the draft and free agency. His worst pick was one that you liked (Gholston) and there isn't a GM on the planet who hits a home run with every draft pick (that is of course until you take over the Jets and Yankees the day after you graduate). If I'm wrong then please feel free and tell me what NFL GM, in his first gig (or any) managed to draft impact players with every single pick they've made in every single draft.

"The Accountant" has not been perfect, but he has been damn good.

Brought in a RT who was BENCHED by the DETROIT LIONS and had only started a few games at RT but "the accountant" was willing to take a gamble on him and the guy anchored the right side of an O-line that led to arguably the best season for a RB in the history of this franchise. Nice move accountant.

Brought in an OLB who'd had only one big season in his career and was widely viewed as a draft bust who was a one year wonder. Countless reports said that only two teams were making serious offers to Pace. Bill Parcells' Dolphins and "the accountant". Nice move accountant.

After all the off-season moves we had to listen to certain posters piss, moan, whine, bitch and cry about how we still didn't have a QB. The accountant went out and got a Hall-of-Fame QB who was coming off of one of his best seasons ever and was coveted by other teams in need of a QB. "The accountant" got the hall-of-famer to agree to a meeting and whatever he said..it worked. Regardless of the results the Jets got, he pulled off a deal that addressed the #1 position of need and managed to get the players permission to do the deal. Yeah, just an accountant. Any GM could have pulled that off.

Oh, and how much have the accountants drafts sucked? Oh lets count the ways. D' Brick, Mangold, Washington, Rhodes, Harris, Revis, Stuckey...all a bunch of scrubs.

Lets not forget the draft picks he threw away to bring in the likes of Thomas Jones and Kris Jenkins who are just taking up space and making no contributions to the teams success. But I'm sure Jenkins, coming off of a couple of sub par years and weighing in close to 400 pounds was another "no-brainer". Jones? Another no-brainer. What GM wouldn't make a run at a RB creeping up to that magical age of 30. We all know how RBs excel once they get over that hill. Adding a 30 y/o RB, another "no brainer" right?

I know angrymichael, I know...you would have done better. Every single player you selected would have spent this and every other year in a Jets uniform being in the pro-bowl celebrating their super bowl victories but we're stuck with "the accountant" who has made great acquisitions both through the draft and free agency. His worst pick was one that you liked (Gholston) and there isn't a GM on the planet who hits a home run with every draft pick (that is of course until you take over the Jets and Yankees the day after you graduate). If I'm wrong then please feel free and tell me what NFL GM, in his first gig (or any) managed to draft impact players with every single pick they've made in every single draft.

Excellent post.

I disagree with a lot of this post.

The great moves in the off-season IMO were Woody, Pace and to an extent Richardson. I wouldn't say the rest were no-brainers but they were pretty darn close.

We had nothing at LG, Faneca was the BPA so something was always going to be done there. If it wasn't Faneca it was someone else but it was blatantly obvious that something had to be done in that area.

The same applied at Nose Tackle and although in no way was Jenkins himself a no-brainer, upgrading that position and bringing in a big body, was. It was always going to be either Shaun Rogers or Kris Jenkins that was going to be brought in, both would have involved giving up similar if not the same draft picks. It was a move that IMO was pretty obvious.

Favre although you could say was obvious was simply a bad move but I really don't want to get into that again as I've been preaching why it was a bad move since the day the trade went down. I am not giving Tanny any credit for that regardless of how he pulled it off.

I have no real problems with Tanny though to be honest. I think he's done a good enough job just not to the extent of some people.

I disagree with a lot of this post.

The great moves in the off-season IMO were Woody, Pace and to an extent Richardson. I wouldn't say the rest were no-brainers but they were pretty darn close.

We had nothing at LG, Faneca was the BPA so something was always going to be done there. If it wasn't Faneca it was someone else but it was blatantly obvious that something had to be done in that area.

The same applied at Nose Tackle and although in no way was Jenkins himself a no-brainer, upgrading that position and bringing in a big body, was. It was always going to be either Shaun Rogers or Kris Jenkins that was going to be brought in, both would have involved giving up similar if not the same draft picks. It was a move that IMO was pretty obvious.

Favre although you could say was obvious was simply a bad move but I really don't want to get into that again as I've been preaching why it was a bad move since the day the trade went down. I am not giving Tanny any credit for that regardless of how he pulled it off.

I have no real problems with Tanny though to be honest. I think he's done a good enough job just not to the extent of some people.

There is some merit to what you're saying but my main point is that Tanny made some moves that did involve a lot of risk. Moves that showed he's got some savvy as a GM. Again, an aging, struggling, 400 NT is a gamble no matter how you look at it. He did what had to be done and got the better player (Jenkins over Rodgers)

Adding a 30 y/o RB, an age where most GMs assume all RBs are ready for the scrap heap carried some risk as well and look how that turned out.

Faneca was an absolute no-brainer. He was the BAP at a huge need area and that move just came down to offering him an obscene amount of money, not a lot of thought needed for that move.

We've already discussed Pace and Woody.

As far as the Favre situation you can choose to give him credit or not but IMO he did what other GMs failed to do. The Jets weren't the only team that wanted Favre but their GM is the one that got it done.

Other points I'd forgotten in my initial post were that two of his best picks (Revis and Keller) were acquired through trading up in front of a team with a need in an area that could have led to those players coming off the board. It showed some moxie. Revis has proven that he was well worth a trade up and Keller made some plays as a rookie that would lead you to think the same can be said about him one day.

Again, I think that when his whole body of work is taken in to consideration the man has done enough to earn more respect than a lot of people are willing to give him. Everybody knows more about a pro GM AFTER the results are in and it's just riddiculous.

Someone explain to me why if the move was a "no-brainer" the GM gets no credit.

Actually, I give him more credit for the "no-brainer" picks, because those are the ones with no upside for the GM and plenty of downside.

Someone explain to me why if the move was a "no-brainer" the GM gets no credit.

Actually, I give him more credit for the "no-brainer" picks, because those are the ones with no upside for the GM and plenty of downside.

Excellent point. All draft picks are nothing more than a gamble. Wasn't Gholston a "no-brainer"...yeah, that worked out great.

Believe me, I'm always the first one to say that a pick needs a few years before passing judgement but for the #8 overall pick to show absolutely NOTHING scares me. I don't care if he was learning a new position or adjusting to the NFL. All I ask is a few plays over the course of a sixteen game season that shows a player belongs. Gholston had more games as a healthy scratch than he had impact plays.

Keep in mind, I think most knowledgeable fans give a GM credit for any moves that turn out to be the right ones. It's the fans who have no respect for how hard it is to evaluate talent that say "he gets no credit for that pick because we all knew how good he was going to be"....BULLSPIT...nobody knows how good any player is going to be coming out of college.

Tanny although I'm still miffed that we got nothing for Pennington.

Here is Tannenbaum biggest blunders:

1- Pennington situation he should have made cap room until we dealt him out of the division. This was his biggest blunder.

2-Second biggest blunder is the Pete Kendall situation.

3-Let Kevin Mawae go.

4-Free agent signings in 2006 including Kimo von Oelhoffen

Here is Tannenbaum biggest blunders:

1- Pennington situation he should have made cap room until we dealt him out of the division. This was his biggest blunder.

2-Second biggest blunder is the Pete Kendall situation.

3-Let Kevin Mawae go.

4-Free agent signings in 2006 including Kimo von Oelhoffen

1-- He had no choice. The Favre thing happened quickly and before the wheels got turning he thought Penny was his starter. By the time Favre was added, he HAD TO get rid of Penny by the next day for cap reasons. I'm sure if he was able to hang on to Chad and negotiate a deal with somebody he would have. The cap gave him no other option.

2--Agreed...Kendall should have been given his money and kept around for a guy who is not as good as Faneca, but costs tons less. Definitely dropped the ball there.

3--I'd prefer Mangold and I think Mawae would have been one more obstacle for Mangini to worry about as a rookie coach. Will we ever know that to be true or not, no..but I can't fault him for that move.

4--Kimo was a veteran who was accustomed to the 3-4 and brought in as a mentor. He was a bust on the field but didn't cost all that much so not a huge deal IMO.

Again, as any GM does he's had his share of bad moves, but he's had a ton of very good moves that people don't give him any credit for.

1-- He had no choice. The Favre thing happened quickly and before the wheels got turning he thought Penny was his starter. By the time Favre was added, he HAD TO get rid of Penny by the next day for cap reasons. I'm sure if he was able to hang on to Chad and negotiate a deal with somebody he would have. The cap gave him no other option.

2--Agreed...Kendall should have been given his money and kept around for a guy who is not as good as Faneca, but costs tons less. Definitely dropped the ball there.

3--I'd prefer Mangold and I think Mawae would have been one more obstacle for Mangini to worry about as a rookie coach. Will we ever know that to be true or not, no..but I can't fault him for that move.

4--Kimo was a veteran who was accustomed to the 3-4 and brought in as a mentor. He was a bust on the field but didn't cost all that much so not a huge deal IMO.

Again, as any GM does he's had his share of bad moves, but he's had a ton of very good moves that people don't give him any credit for.

1- a good coach or GM should always be two or three steps ahead the great ones have vision.

3-I prefer Mangold to but would have been nice for him to learn from Mawae by sliding Mangold to guard for 2-3 years so he can learn from Mawae while making the whole line better.

I think Tannenbaum is a fine GM who will only get better I was just pointing out some of his blemish's.

1- a good coach or GM should always be two or three steps ahead the great ones have vision.

3-I prefer Mangold to but would have been nice for him to learn from Mawae by sliding Mangold to guard for 2-3 years so he can learn from Mawae while making the whole line better.

I think Tannenbaum is a fine GM who will only get better I was just pointing out some of his blemish's.

Okay, you're in Bradways shoes, you find out a very short time before the season starts that you have an opportunity to bring in Brett Favre over Chad Pennington. How would you have done it if you were in charge? I'm not being a smart ass either. You seem to make some decent arguments so I'm curious as to how you think it should have been done. Personally I think he did pretty good based on the hand he was dealt but maybe there's something I'm not considering.

Okay, you're in Bradways shoes, you find out a very short time before the season starts that you have an opportunity to bring in Brett Favre over Chad Pennington. How would you have done it if you were in charge? I'm not being a smart ass either. You seem to make some decent arguments so I'm curious as to how you think it should have been done. Personally I think he did pretty good based on the hand he was dealt but maybe there's something I'm not considering.

I believe Chads cap number was 5-6 million dollars, the Jets likely would have had to clear 3-4 million dollars of cap space. I would have spoken to either Favre and asked him to take 6 million dollar bonus and 6 million in 2008 salary, Favre would have the same money and the Jets could prorate his 6 million bonus over 3 years. The Jets could have bought time to move him out of the division.

I believe Chads cap number was 5-6 million dollars, the Jets likely would have had to clear 3-4 million dollars of cap space. I would have spoken to either Favre and asked him to take 6 million dollar bonus and 6 million in 2008 salary, Favre would have the same money and the Jets could prorate his 6 million bonus over 3 years. The Jets could have bought time to move him out of the division.

Not a bad idea but as I always say in discussions like this, we have no idea what was discussed between the players and FO. An offer like that may have been made and Favre may have declined. It's not as if any FO releases the fine details of every single negotiation that is made with each and every player.

Based on the things I know to be true about Tennenbaum (his trades, draft picks, contract extensions) I think he's good at what he does and likely made an effort to unload Pennington for some compensation but again with time being short he didn't have a lot of options. Like I said, not a bad idea..but neither of us know for sure if it happened or not. Now if Tanny had his head up his ass, never made a good draft pick or trade I'd be right there with you in assuming that several stones went unturned.

Not a bad idea but as I always say in discussions like this, we have no idea what was discussed between the players and FO. An offer like that may have been made and Favre may have declined. It's not as if any FO releases the fine details of every single negotiation that is made with each and every player.

Based on the things I know to be true about Tennenbaum (his trades, draft picks, contract extensions) I think he's good at what he does and likely made an effort to unload Pennington for some compensation but again with time being short he didn't have a lot of options. Like I said, not a bad idea..but neither of us know for sure if it happened or not. Now if Tanny had his head up his ass, never made a good draft pick or trade I'd be right there with you in assuming that several stones went unturned.

I agree with you, but I thing Tannenbaum/Mangini wanted to do the "right thing" for Chad. They never envisioned him going and helping the Dolphags as much as he did.

I agree with you, but I thing Tannenbaum/Mangini wanted to do the "right thing" for Chad. They never envisioned him going and helping the Dolphags as much as he did.

I agree. I also think, seeing how well Chad was used by someone else, was just one more thing that opened their eyes about Mangini.

Agreed 100%. He did far better than they thought he would do elsewhere. However, can they really be ripped for thinking along the same lines as almost every other GM in the NFL? Realistically, if any FO though Chad was capable of this type of play, clearly they would have called and offered the Jets a 7th rounder for Chads services because with the Jets being handcuffed, that's all it would have taken. I mean, what NFL team at this point wouldn't like to have Chad even as a back-up? Coming off of the shoulder surgeries and terrible performance the previous season, it's clear to me that Chad was widely viewed as washed up and not even worth a 7th rounder. Lets face it, most 7th rounders don't even make a teams roster. In all honesty, I can't figure out for the life of me why a team like the Vikings dind't offer a pick for Chad. They could have had him for almost nothing and Chads play-action with AP in the backfield....playing in a dome would have been the perfect situation for Chad IMO.

Either way, I feel like the Jets FO was wrong about Chad, but they were in the vast majority with that assessment.

Archived