REX RYAN EXPECTED TO GET OFFER FROM JETS

Gen X Jet

I do not think it is a fair assessment of Rob Ryan, he just was apart of the worst football organization in Oakland. It was an organization that sets the owner and head coach to be advisories and the owner forces the head coach to have a defensive coordinator he did not get along with. It is hard to blame Rob Ryan on what happened with the Raiders. Oakland is football version of what the norm feels about Las Vegas, what comes to Oakland stays in Oakland

That franchise is a train wreck and everyone knows the reason why.

But with all the love he gets from some people, you'd think Oakland's defense was succeeding in spite of all that. Ryan may have been set up for failure in some ways, but Ryan did end up failing. So I don't see how he gets any credit for that.

Again, I have nothing against him. Fiery guys who (allegedly) know their stuff on paper are fun to root for. But while they hardly have the Ravens' talent, Rob Ryan hasn't done much with a franchise that did NOT ignore the defensive side of the ball in the draft & FA.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That franchise is a train wreck and everyone knows the reason why.

But with all the love he gets from some people, you'd think Oakland's defense was succeeding in spite of all that. Ryan may have been set up for failure in some ways, but Ryan did end up failing. So I don't see how he gets any credit for that.

Again, I have nothing against him. Fiery guys who (allegedly) know their stuff on paper are fun to root for. But while they hardly have the Ravens' talent, Rob Ryan hasn't done much with a franchise that did NOT ignore the defensive side of the ball in the draft & FA.

I agree, I was just stating Oakland is not fair to assess anybody on because they are so dysfunctional. Rob Ryans chance in Cleveland will be huge for him but also Mangini. Rob Ryan and Eric Mangini futures are pitted with each other.

I agree, I was just stating Oakland is not fair to assess anybody on because they are so dysfunctional. Rob Ryans chance in Cleveland will be huge for him but also Mangini. Rob Ryan and Eric Mangini futures are pitted with each other.

And it's not like Mangini has proven to be the best judge of "Who should be my defensive coordinator this year?"

With zero NY pressure they will be fine. Actually very curious if Woody has a thing for Sutton and if Mangini would have fired him earlier..

Woody wouldn't be able to pick Sutton out of a police lineup if his daughter's freedom depended on it.

With zero NY pressure they will be fine. Actually very curious if Woody has a thing for Sutton and if Mangini would have fired him earlier..

The pressure they do have is if they do not succeed they will have a tough time getting their next gig.

If Ravens lose today Sutton will not be the defensive coordinator by weeks end, unless Sutton has something on Woody:).

dude i'm sick of his shenanigans.

i'll be like hi and he'll say your retarded and your posts suck. my patience with this clown is gone

:cloudy:

Your posts do suck. That's pretty common knowledge around here.

I never called you retarded in this thread. I said that the idea of "Rob Ryan>Rex Ryan" is retarded which it is. Yes he worked for Oakland but you talk as though he had nothing to work with which is quite frankly BS. He plays vanilla schemes unlike his brother and does not make the most of the talent available to him. The ONLY thing I could say about Ryan is that maybe he is just a puppet of Davis' madness but you can't base anything on assumptions and he has done nothing, NOTHING to merit putting him over Rex Ryan.

And don't get me started on personal attacks, you were the one insulting me on Christmas ****ing day of all times because I disagreed with you. But yeah my "shenanigans" are clearly the issue here. Right.

Rob Ryan has done more with less? You know, I've heard how Mangini wanted him so badly and other than his last name I can't figure out what the big deal is with him. Their defense is arguably worse than it was when he got there. The only relatively successful season Oakland had under him statistically was when the offense was so bad that the other team was constantly on a short field, leading to them being #3 in yards-surrendered. The other years the offense wasn't much better, so frequently giving the other team a short field to work with, and they still ranked at or near the bottom of the NFL in yards and points annually. He even got a little added help by having (arguably) the best punter in the NFL. Barring that one "special season" of mediocrity, explain how he's done a good job.

Their defense is clearly not the most talented in the league, but he hasn't done "more with less" - he's done nothing with less and sometimes less with less.

Given Al Davis' clearly high opinion of Ryan, I'm sure he had major influence on their draft picks on defense. And those picks included going defense in:

Rounds 1, 2, and 3 in 2005

Rounds 1, 2, and 4 in 2006

Round 3 (x2) in 2007

That's 8 defensive players taken in the top 3 rounds in a 3-year span. In addition to other free agents they acquired or already had:

Derrick Burgess

Nnamdi Asomugha

Tyler Brayton, who Ryan benched but who seemed good enough to start 16 games on Carolina's OL in a 12-win season.

Sapp, who was actually pretty good for them after Ryan stopped putting him out of position in similar fashion to the way his buddy Mangini did with DRob

Charles Woodson for a couple of seasons.

Gibril Wilson.

You think Al Davis gave Tommy Kelly that stupid contract because Ryan said he sucks or because Ryan said "don't let me lose this kid"? Ditto mammoth-man Terdell Sands.

You make it sound like they had a team with no talent to begin with and never addressed the defense in the draft or free agency in his time there. Compare that with Baltimore, who, with the exception of LB Dan Cody (who missed his whole career to injury) and DE/DT Haloti Ngata, has largely ignored the defense in the draft for years now. This year with their top 2 picks the Ravens went offense. Last year the top 3 picks they went offense. In 2005 they went offense with 5 of their top 6 picks.

I have nothing against the guy and don't wish him ill-will with Mangini in Cleveland, but Rob clearly seems to be the least-talented in the Ryan family. The two people who wanted him more than anyone else were Al Davis (lol) and Eric Mangini (who hasn't exactly been choosy with his DC choice in NY).

i commend you for trying but you were unsuccessful in proving that if rob had simmilar talent and management to wat rex had in baltimore he would still be a lesser coach than rex.

Archived