Are the Pats doing Cassell a disservice by franchise tagging him?

Klecko73isGod

The Pats could seriously be screwing themselves by tagging Matt Cassell but Cassell's long term prospects could be seriously damaged by the move.

I know the intention is to trade him as the belief is that Brady will be ready to go by opening day. But are there really any serious trade possibilities out there?

There are only a handful of teams that are in the market for a QB this offseason, two of them, the Lions and Chiefs, will most likely be spending their top picks on QBs as they pick first and third respectively and will most likely grab Stafford and Sanchez.

All three of the Pats divisional rivals may be in the market for a QB, depending on whether or not Favre retires and how the Dolphins feel about Chad Henne, but does anybody think for a million years the Pats would trade him in the division? Or would the Bills, Jets or Dolphins be willing to give the Pats a first-round pick for that matter?

The rest of the league has incumbents or young QBs already being groomed.

In the AFC North, all four teams are set at QB with Palmer, Rothliesberger, Quinn and Flacco all in place.

In the AFC South, three of the four teams are set with Manning, Garrard and Young still viewed as the heir apparent with Collins most likely being the opening day starter. The Texans would seem like a possibility for Cassell but would they really being willing to give up the top pick after their experience with signing another hot backup recently in Matt Shaub?

In the AFC West, Denver has Cutler, San Diego has Rivers, Oakland loves Russell for some reason and the Chiefs will get either Stafford or Sanchez and have Tyler Thigpen to keep the seat warm for a year.

The same is true in the NFC.

In the NFC East, all four teams are set for now with Manning, Romo, McNabb and Washington loving Jason Campbell.

In the NFC North, the Vikings are love with Jackson, the Packers are willing to live or die with Rodgers, the Bears like Orton and are holding out hope they can snag McNabb as a FA in 2010 and the Lions have the number on overall pick.

In the NFC South, the Falcons are set with Ryan, the Panthers are set with Delhomme, the Saints are set with Brees and with Chucky gone in Tampa, expect Garcia to happily stay, although at 39 he will need to be replaced soon so Tampa may be the most likely landing spot in a trade for Cassell.

In the NFC West, the Seahawks have Hasselbeck, the Rams have Bulger, the Cards have Warner and his preseumed replacement in Leinart and the 49ers seem to be setting themselves up to make a run at Vick upon his return.

So if the Bucs aren't willing to spend a top pick on Cassell, who the hell would be? If the Pats can't trade him he will become the most expensive backup in history, counting some $15 million against the cap. They also leave themselves in a potential QB controversy if Brady has a Peyton Manning '08-like start to the '09 season.

But what about Cassell's longterm prospects? If he is tagged and doesn't get traded and Brady plays well, what is his value on the open market in 2010 after sitting on the bench for a year and a potentially great QB class in that year's draft with Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow and whoever else emerges over the course of the 2009 NCAA season?

While the Pats may be screwing themselves by tagging Cassell, they could be screwing Cassell even more.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Pats could seriously be screwing themselves by tagging Matt Cassell but Cassell's long term prospects could be seriously damaged by the move.

I know the intention is to trade him as the belief is that Brady will be ready to go by opening day. But are there really any serious trade possibilities out there?

There are only a handful of teams that are in the market for a QB this offseason, two of them, the Lions and Chiefs, will most likely be spending their top picks on QBs as they pick first and third respectively and will most likely grab Stafford and Sanchez.

All three of the Pats divisional rivals may be in the market for a QB, depending on whether or not Favre retires and how the Dolphins feel about Chad Henne, but does anybody think for a million years the Pats would trade him in the division? Or would the Bills, Jets or Dolphins be willing to give the Pats a first-round pick for that matter?

In the AFC North, all four teams are set at QB with Palmer, Rothliesberger, Quinn and Flacco all in place.

In the AFC South, three of the four teams are set with Manning, Garrard and Young still viewed as the heir apparent with Collins most likely being the opening day starter. The Texans would seem like a possibility for Cassell but would they really being willing to give up the top pick after their experience with signing another hot backup recently in Matt Shaub?

In the AFC West, Denver has Cutler, San Diego has Rivers, Oakland loves Russell for some reason and the Chiefs will get either Stafford or Sanchez and have Tyler Thigpen to keep the seat warm for a year.

In the NFC East, all four teams are set for now with Manning, Romo, McNabb and Washington loving Jason Campbell.

In the NFC North, the Vikings are love with Jackson, the Packers are willing to live or die with Rodgers, the Bears like Orton and are holding out hope they can snag McNabb as a FA in 2010 and the Lions have the number on overall pick.

In the NFC South, the Falcons are set with Ryan, the Panthers are set with Delhomme, the Saints are set with Brees and with Chucky gone in Tampa, expect Garcia to happily stay, although at 39 he will need to be replaced soon so Tampa may be the most likely landing spot in a trade for Cassell.

In the NFC West, the Seahawks have Hasselbeck, the Rams have Bulger, the Cards have Warner and his preseumed replacement in Leinart and the 49ers seem to be setting themselves up to make a run at Vick upon his return.

So if the Bucs aren't willing to spend a top pick on Cassell, who the hell would be? If the Pats can't trade him he will become the most expensive backup in history, counting some $15 million against the cap. They also leave themselves in a potential QB controversy if Brady has a Peyton Manning '08-like start to the '09 season.

But what about Cassell's longterm prospects? If he is tagged and doesn't get traded and Brady plays well, what is his value on the open market in 2010 after sitting on the bench for a year and a potentially great QB class in that year's draft with Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow and whoever else emerges over the course of the 2009 NCAA season?

While the Pats may be screwing themselves by tagging Cassell, they could be screwing Cassell even more.

I can't see how, cap wise, they can franchise him? Spermy?

Kleck, interesting points, but I don't think the Pats have any other option.

Chances are that Brady won't be 100% by the start of the season so they need Cassel.

I'm not a big believer in this kid. He's got some nice skills but in no way is he an elite QB and I doubt he could have the same success in another offense without Randy Moss.

However, he could have had nice career if he landed in the right spot. I just don't see that happening in his current situation.

Five years from now, Cassell most likely will wind up being the guy who filled in for Brady that year whose name we can barely remember.

I'm not a big believer in this kid. He's got some nice skills but in no way is he an elite QB and I doubt he could have the same success in another offense without Randy Moss.

However, he could have had nice career if he landed in the right spot. I just don't see that happening in his current situation.

Five years from now, Cassell most likely will wind up being the guy who filled in for Brady that year whose name we can barely remember.

Exactly his talent is not worthy of being franchised

Its also why I think the Pats are fooling themselves if they think anyone would be willing to give up a first-rounder, especially with such a small market for QBs.

If there were three or four really desperate teams out there, maybe, but with everybody's current QB scenarios? No ****ing way.

Matt Cassel is likely this era's Frank Reich rather than Steve Young. I'm not high on him because of his weak arm. He's a taller, scrambling version of Chad. He definately could have a nice career if he landed in the right spot, but that spot is the Pats.

No other team besides the Cards could offer Cassel what he has with the Pats, and the Cards are not going the Cassel route.

Matt Cassel is likely this era's Frank Reich rather than Steve Young. I'm not high on him because of his weak arm. He's a taller, scrambling version of Chad. He definately could have a nice career if he landed in the right spot, but that spot is the Pats.

No other team besides the Cards could offer Cassel what he has with the Pats, and the Cards are not going the Cassel route.

Of course not, the Cards have their own weak-armed, tall Chad Pennington clone already.

Spot on. He is not a "franchise QB" with franchise talent.

But what other QB option they have if Brady isn't ready.

This talk that they'll franchise him solely to trade him is nonsense. The team doesn't know when Brady will be back and he's already had some set-backs in his recovery.

They can franchise because they have 19 million in available space. Now, that makes it tight, but they would have flexibility as soon as they trade or if they to keep him for a year by restructuring.

Klecko - Your post has truth to it. There is a small market for Cassel, but some of your "teams are set" is laughable.

Lions and Chiefs - It boils down to the argument do you spend 72 million (Ryan's contract) on a rookie which there is nothing to base how he might be in the NFL. Or do you spend the money on Cassel who you know has NFL experience although it is with a good team. I could see the Chiefs doing it more then the Lions based on Pioli because they are likely to get Sanchez who many feel came out too early, but it is a few years away.

Titans - That they are seriously considering keeping Collins is not exactly a vote of confidence for VY. Cassel would be a better option then either VY or Collins.

Jags - A longshot, but some of the luster wore off Garrard. I would say it is really unlikely though.

Redskins - Similar to the Jags, I would say it is a longer of longshots, but Campbell was very average down the stretch.

Vikings - I do not think they love Jackson. They like him. They are hoping he develops, but were reminded in the playoff game that he is looking like JAG.

Bears - I would say they are similar to the Vikings and Skins. They have a QB that is ok at times and then putrid at others.

Panthers - You think they are set at QB? Delhomme has been JAG and had Tommy John surgery. Now, I am not a doctor, but that hardly sounds like a team is set when your 34 yo QB is coming off a major surgery in his shoulder.

Bucs - Garcia is a nice QB. Similar to Collins, he is the wiley vet, but his better days are behind him. If he is your best option, time to look elsewhere.

Rams and Seahawks - Bulger and Hasselback will be 32 and 34. They still have some years left in the tank, but they are clearly on the end of their careers. Plus, you have two new HCs and have no particular ties to Hasselback.

49ers - I would say they are similar to the Chiefs where they have a young guy (relatively speaking) that showed some potential. It would not be surprising if they stayed the course, but I would not be floored if they elected to go get Cassel.

Cardinals - All things being equal, Lienart has not been able to wrestle the job away from Warner. Not exactly a vote of confidence for him. This scenario is highly highly unlikely, but what if Warner retires?

I agree with your main points. There are few slam dunk destinations, but the QB picture is not exactly as rosey as you portrayed. You could argue some of the reasons I used for the Patriots keeping him. He would be hurt by staying a year, but that is what happens when you get a guaranteed huge contract.

So if the Pats franchise him, he can always return the favor by signing it. He'd immediately be guaranteed the QB franchise numer - which is what? About $12M or so? He'd immediately count against their cap at that number, too, of course.

Even if he carries a clipboard in '09, he'll have FA value in '10 - and will've already pocketed a tidy sum in the process.

If he's unhappy about being tagged, his best option might be to announce that he's prepared to sign it ASAP.

They can franchise because they have 19 million in available space. Now, that makes it tight, but they would have flexibility as soon as they trade or if they to keep him for a year by restructuring.

Klecko - Your post has truth to it. There is a small market for Cassel, but some of your "teams are set" is laughable.

Lions and Chiefs - It boils down to the argument do you spend 72 million (Ryan's contract) on a rookie which there is nothing to base how he might be in the NFL. Or do you spend the money on Cassel who you know has NFL experience although it is with a good team. I could see the Chiefs doing it more then the Lions based on Pioli because they are likely to get Sanchez who many feel came out too early, but it is a few years away.

Titans - That they are seriously considering keeping Collins is not exactly a vote of confidence for VY. Cassel would be a better option then either VY or Collins.

Jags - A longshot, but some of the luster wore off Garrard. I would say it is really unlikely though.

Redskins - Similar to the Jags, I would say it is a longer of longshots, but Campbell was very average down the stretch.

Vikings - I do not think they love Jackson. They like him. They are hoping he develops, but were reminded in the playoff game that he is looking like JAG.

Bears - I would say they are similar to the Vikings and Skins. They have a QB that is ok at times and then putrid at others.

Panthers - You think they are set at QB? Delhomme has been JAG and had Tommy John surgery. Now, I am not a doctor, but that hardly sounds like a team is set when your 34 yo QB is coming off a major surgery in his shoulder.

Bucs - Garcia is a nice QB. Similar to Collins, he is the wiley vet, but his better days are behind him. If he is your best option, time to look elsewhere.

Rams and Seahawks - Bulger and Hasselback will be 32 and 34. They still have some years left in the tank, but they are clearly on the end of their careers. Plus, you have two new HCs and have no particular ties to Hasselback.

49ers - I would say they are similar to the Chiefs where they have a young guy (relatively speaking) that showed some potential. It would not be surprising if they stayed the course, but I would not be floored if they elected to go get Cassel.

Cardinals - All things being equal, Lienart has not been able to wrestle the job away from Warner. Not exactly a vote of confidence for him. This scenario is highly highly unlikely, but what if Warner retires?

I agree with your main points. There are few slam dunk destinations, but the QB picture is not exactly as rosey as you portrayed. You could argue some of the reasons I used for the Patriots keeping him. He would be hurt by staying a year, but that is what happens when you get a guaranteed huge contract.

As far as the Lions and Chiefs are concerned, you're insane if you think they'd prefer Cassell over what they're gonna get in the draft.

Two rookie QBs just led their teams to the postseason. Both Stafford and Sanchez have significantly higher ceilings than Cassell. The only reason the Chiefs would make the move is if Pioli is absolutely in love with Cassell, which I sincerely doubt.

The Titans still believe in Vince Young and have a ton of money invested in him.

The Jags love Garrard and nobody down here is blaming him for their failures last year. The defense imploded and his offensive line completely sucked.

Campbell is still the guy in Washington but you're right because Snyder has overspent on overrated crap repeatedly in the past.

The Vikings do love Jackson and the Vikings would be an awful spot for Cassell. They also have other needs to address in the draft that make giving up the first-rounder a non-starter.

Delhomme is coming off a solid season, counts a bunch toward the cap and again the needs they have make giving up their top pick nonsensical.

Like I said, the Bucs are the best potential landing spot for Cassell in a trade.

Both the Rams and Seahawks have too many needs to fill to give up their first-rounder when they have incumbents firmly in place.

The 49ers are a possibility and a good fit but they are acting like they are making a full-court press to get Vick.

Warner will probably come back for a big payday, regardless of what happens next Sunday, which will give them time to find his replacement.

The Bears do need a QB but is Cassell really any better than what they've got? And like I said, the Bears are banking McNabb not signing an extension with the Eagles and then throwing big bucks at him next year.

So if the Pats franchise him, he can always return the favor by signing it. He'd immediately be guaranteed the QB franchise numer - which is what? About $12M or so? He'd immediately count against their cap at that number, too, of course.

Even if he carries a clipboard in '09, he'll have FA value in '10 - and will've already pocketed a tidy sum in the process.

If he's unhappy about being tagged, his best option might be to announce that he's prepared to sign it ASAP.

I disagree. I think his best move is to hold out as long as he can before signing the tender and forcing the Pats to trade him, even if they have to accept a second or worse.

If they have the tag on him, the money is tied up until he is traded. If he can stay untraded and unlocked through the FA period, the more desperate the Pats get to move him.

Spot on. He is not a "franchise QB" with franchise talent.

But what other QB option they have if Brady isn't ready.

This talk that they'll franchise him solely to trade him is nonsense. The team doesn't know when Brady will be back and he's already had some set-backs in his recovery.

New England is the one boxed into the corner. You often hear on this site that the Patsies have the hammer, this is just not true. The Patsies* are the ones at a disadvantage they will need to at some point during the month of February make room for a franchise QB who's talent is not worthy of a franchise QB at the expense of some other position. It is not easy to hide $15 million in cap room.

I disagree. I think his best move is to hold out as long as he can before signing the tender and forcing the Pats to trade him, even if they have to accept a second or worse.

If they have the tag on him, the money is tied up until he is traded. If he can stay untraded and unlocked through the FA period, the more desperate the Pats get to move him.

Kleck you are 100% right, the Patsies* are going to have their cap situation in order before the end of February.

T

There are only a handful of teams that are in the market for a QB this offseason, two of them, the Lions and Chiefs, will most likely be spending their top picks on QBs as they pick first and third respectively and will most likely grab Stafford and Sanchez. \

Why not trade for Cassel with that pick. You know Cassel can play in the NFL, Stafford and Sanchez could be the next Ryan Leaf, worst case for Cassel is he is the next Scott Mitchell. And their is big difference.

but does anybody think for a million years the Pats would trade him in the division? Or would the Bills, Jets or Dolphins be willing to give the Pats a first-round pick for that matter?

Of course not....that is why the Patriots were forced to trade HOF QB Bledsoe out of the division instead of to the Bills.

/sarcasm.

But at that point they could just rescind the tag -especially if they're confident that Brady will be back in time for the season- and Cassell would have to try to negotiate a deal in a market that's already dried up.

I'd sign. Take the money and run.

Maybe Pioli to the Chiefs was all just part of a long con. He'll trade two first rounders for Cassel and then get fired when Cassel fails and he'll go back to the Patriots in 2010 with a nice fat signing bonus.

I have unmasked thee, villian!

Why not trade for Cassel with that pick. You know Cassel can play in the NFL, Stafford and Sanchez could be the next Ryan Leaf, worst case for Cassel is he is the next Scott Mitchell. And their is big difference.

Of course not....that is why the Patriots were forced to trade HOF QB Bledsoe out of the division instead of to the Bills.

/sarcasm.

Why not trade for Cassell instead of using the number one overall pick on Stafford or Sanchez?

Stop smoking crack.

As far as the Lions and Chiefs are concerned, you're insane if you think they'd prefer Cassell over what they're gonna get in the draft.

Two rookie QBs just led their teams to the postseason. Both Stafford and Sanchez have significantly higher ceilings than Cassell. The only reason the Chiefs would make the move is if Pioli is absolutely in love with Cassell, which I sincerely doubt.

The Titans still believe in Vince Young and have a ton of money invested in him.

The Jags love Garrard and nobody down here is blaming him for their failures last year. The defense imploded and his offensive line completely sucked.

Campbell is still the guy in Washington but you're right because Snyder has overspent on overrated crap repeatedly in the past.

The Vikings do love Jackson and the Vikings would be an awful spot for Cassell. They also have other needs to address in the draft that make giving up the first-rounder a non-starter.

Delhomme is coming off a solid season, counts a bunch toward the cap and again the needs they have make giving up their top pick nonsensical.

Like I said, the Bucs are the best potential landing spot for Cassell in a trade.

Both the Rams and Seahawks have too many needs to fill to give up their first-rounder when they have incumbents firmly in place.

The 49ers are a possibility and a good fit but they are acting like they are making a full-court press to get Vick.

Warner will probably come back for a big payday, regardless of what happens next Sunday, which will give them time to find his replacement.

The Bears do need a QB but is Cassell really any better than what they've got? And like I said, the Bears are banking McNabb not signing an extension with the Eagles and then throwing big bucks at him next year.

Come on Klecko, you make valid points, but you are talking about potential.

Sanchez and Stafford could potentially be great QBs, but they can also potentially be crap. Ryan and Flacco are more the exceptions then the norm.

You can count on one hand the amount of rookie QBs that have had a major impact in their rookie years since the 80s. Dan Marino is still the standard by which rookies are judged and 99% of them fail to meet it. Peyton struggled. Brady? :rl: Big Ben and Flacco can be put there, but they were more managers then passers. Ryan? Sure why not.

The chances are, Sanchez and Stafford are going to struggle early in their careers.

I am not disagreeing with any of your points on Cassel's destination. You are correct. There are few likely destinations. There are more "maybe, but unlikelys" destinations for the reasons given.

With that being said, I do not think it is a stretch to see the Lions or Chiefs going after Cassel. Lions are coming off a historically bad season. All teams have bad years in their respective histories, but only two can say they went winless during the modern era. I do not think it will happen, but I could see Lions taken Cassel versus Stafford. They trade their second round pick (33rd) and maybe a player or another pick for Cassel and use that number 1 on one of their many holes. They save themselves about 30 million and have a QB they know what he can and cannot do on the NFL level.

I could see the Chiefs staying with the raw Thigpen, drafting Sanchez or trading for Cassel. Pioli has a few months to look at Thigpen and Sanchez hard. He might go with them or elect to go with Cassel. Likely? I do not know, but the Chiefs have a high second (35th) they could use with a player like Tony G who might want a ring or a draft pick in a future year.

Again, it is all speculation on my part, but I do not think either scenario is out of this world.

I could see the Chiefs staying with the raw Thigpen, drafting Sanchez or trading for Cassel. Pioli has a few months to look at Thigpen and Sanchez hard. He might go with them or elect to go with Cassel. Likely? I do not know, but the Chiefs have a high second (35th) they could use with a player like Tony G who might want a ring or a draft pick in a future year.

Again, it is all speculation on my part, but I do not think either scenario is out of this world.

But the point is the Pathetics* are going to need to get under the cap for the next couple of months at which players expense?

Your opinion is also that Brady is going to be completely healthy which no fan really knows unless you are a doctor.

Come on Klecko, you make valid points, but you are talking about potential.

Sanchez and Stafford could potentially be great QBs, but they can also potentially be crap. Ryan and Flacco are more the exceptions then the norm.

You can count on one hand the amount of rookie QBs that have had a major impact in their rookie years since the 80s. Dan Marino is still the standard by which rookies are judged and 99% of them fail to meet it. Peyton struggled. Brady? :rl: Big Ben and Flacco can be put there, but they were more managers then passers. Ryan? Sure why not.

The chances are, Sanchez and Stafford are going to struggle early in their careers.

I am not disagreeing with any of your points on Cassel's destination. You are correct. There are few likely destinations. There are more "maybe, but unlikelys" destinations for the reasons given.

With that being said, I do not think it is a stretch to see the Lions or Chiefs going after Cassel. Lions are coming off a historically bad season. All teams have bad years in their respective histories, but only two can say they went winless during the modern era. I do not think it will happen, but I could see Lions taken Cassel versus Stafford. They trade their second round pick (33rd) and maybe a player or another pick for Cassel and use that number 1 on one of their many holes. They save themselves about 30 million and have a QB they know what he can and cannot do on the NFL level.

tell me which team Cassel beat that was anygood?

the cards did not come to play so please do not include that one

Its also why I think the Pats are fooling themselves if they think anyone would be willing to give up a first-rounder, especially with such a small market for QBs.

If there were three or four really desperate teams out there, maybe, but with everybody's current QB scenarios? No ****ing way.

They are for certain doing Cassell a disservice. The kid could shop himself and have a decent payday with good security. He'd be worth alot this year especially since the college QB crop is mediocore at best.

Being guaranteed the average salary of the top five QB's isn't exactly getting screwed in my book. Plus - where did you hear that Minny is in love with Jackson? I have heard numerous reports to the contrary - ditto with Thigpen in KC. If you are going to throw first round money out there - may as well be towards a 26 year old who led his team to an 11-5 record the year before. Just sayin'. :)

Being guaranteed the average salary of the top five QB's isn't exactly getting screwed in my book. Plus - where did you hear that Minny is in love with Jackson? I have heard numerous reports to the contrary - ditto with Thigpen in KC. If you are going to throw first round money out there - may as well be towards a 26 year old who led his team to an 11-5 record the year before. Just sayin'. :)

Who is no longer going to be playing with Randy Moss.

Pats fans may be fooled by Cassell's performance but don't think the rest of the league is fooled by Scott Mitchell Jr.

Pats fans may be fooled by Cassell's performance but don't think the rest of the league is fooled by Scott Mitchell Jr.

..or Wes Welker, seriously.

I have no idea if he will succeed elsewhere - and if he is elsewhere I do not care. Thing is - every year a team is "fooled" - what makes you think this year will be different? Agents make the big bucks for a reason. Put it this way - the Jets hired Herm Edwards - who was then hired by the Chiefs. Shoot - Mangini gets canned because his team folded like a cheap shade - yet he immediately gets another HC job with the Browns. Trust me, there are plenty of fools with money out there.

But the point is the Pathetics* are going to need to get under the cap for the next couple of months at which players expense?

Your opinion is also that Brady is going to be completely healthy which no fan really knows unless you are a doctor.

They have 19 million to play with. They have some wiggle room.

You are right and Cassel's destination will be determined by Brady's health.

tell me which team Cassel beat that was anygood?

the cards did not come to play so please do not include that one

Which NFL team has Stafford or Sanchez beaten? :confused:

How many passes against an NFL team has either attempted? :confused:

How many NFL TCs, OTAs and off season workout programs have they been in? :confused:

Who has been coached by Belichick? :confused:

Cassel is a proven NFL commodity. You know what you have versus two QBs that are unproven and with question marks without every taken an NFL snap. Which player do you feel safer dropping 72 million on. You know the answer.

Why? Are you honestly saying you saw an 11 win performance out of this team without Brady? Hell no. This kid can play. Maybe he will be a Scott mItchell or maybe he will be a decent guy for many more years. Last year's performance only reaffirms the reason Belichick spent a pick on him and has kept him around for four years. He can play irregardless of your or my opinion.

They have 19 million to play with. They have some wiggle room.

You are right and Cassel's destination will be determined by Brady's health.

Which NFL team has Stafford or Sanchez beaten? :confused:

How many passes against an NFL team has either attempted? :confused:

How many NFL TCs, OTAs and off season workout programs have they been in? :confused:

Who has been coached by Belichick? :confused:

Cassel is a proven NFL commodity. You know what you have versus two QBs that are unproven and with question marks without every taken an NFL snap. Which player do you feel safer dropping 72 million on. You know the answer.

Why? Are you honestly saying you saw an 11 win performance out of this team without Brady? Hell no. This kid can play. Maybe he will be a Scott mItchell or maybe he will be a decent guy for many more years. Last year's performance only reaffirms the reason Belichick spent a pick on him and has kept him around for four years. He can play irregardless of your or my opinion.

also was not much film on cassell either

I would say teams have plenty on him now

He throws a terrible deep ball too

They are banking on a team still needing a Quarterback once they find out that Brady will be 100% for the 2009 season. If they don't find that out until Training Camp time in July, they will be screwed. If they can get a significant answer by the Draft, it will work in their favor.

Its all about timing, its really as simple as that.

Archived