My assessment on our first round pick

FranchiseCorner24

We have the new coach, now we need a new QB....

Sure we have big holes at WR, CB, S, DL, and HB (TJ is long in the tooth), but what has hurt us the most in the past decade is sub par QB play.

The New York Jets have not drafted a QB in the 1st round since Ken O'Brien, and that was over twenty five years ago.

Based on the mocks I have seen there are 3 first round QB's. Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, and Josh Freeman.

Josh Freeman is 6'6 250 lbs. That is an interesting prospect to say the least.

However, the best player in this draft IMO is Chris Wells. I think Wells will be an Adrian Peterson clone. You simply cannot bring him down with arm tackles, and he has the speed to get into the open field.

IMO Wells is good enough to trade up for.

Percy Harvin, Darius Heyward Bey, and Jeremy Maclin are also solid options at WR. Another playmaker could really put this offense over the top. I personally think Maclin is the best of the bunch. Bey has the most upside, and Harvin is the safest pick.

Rey Malaluga seems to be a perfect fit as a 3-4 ILB as well.

Our biggest hole is across the dline.. Ellis and Jenkins are OK, but we don't have any other dlineman that would start for an NFL team.

Too bad this draft isn't chock full of dlineman.

I think O'Brien is the reason the Jets haven't drafted a franchise QB, that seemed to sour them on that option, although you'd think with the different GM's and ownership that might have been different but it hasn't. As a whole the guys running the team seem to have prefered to draft them later and try to polish crap or sign/trade for someone else's polished crap or castoffs. I wouldn't mind seeing a QB drafted for the same reason I want to see a franchise WR or RB on the team...gives the team a face that's the Jets and not another teams.

Moreno is the better and more complete runner, and a jersey boy to boot def would be a fan fav if he lives up to expectations.

Out of all the WR after Crabtree none of them seem like they can step in day one and be "the guy" but Maclin is the best of the rest.

Maualuga is falling a bit, most teams are cluing into the fact he is a 3-4 ilb and can't be the man in the middle on a 4-3 so that increases our chances he'll be there at 17, he would definitley be a Ryan guy a lot of fire and passion.

I think Ryan will be happy with our D-Line the way it is, it's very similar to what he has with the Ravens but Ellis is getting up there, luckily there is a solid 3-4 DE and he will more than likely be sitting there at 17 Tyson Jackson. However he would be a pure run stopper and not a blitzer, though looking at the stats of the Raven D-Line they don't get a lot of sacks.

Overall looking at the draft so far we are in a good spot and should get something we need or can make good use of.

edit: I agree with Chadharmamoon, weak QB class should be more talent next year.

I think O'Brien is the reason the Jets haven't drafted a franchise QB, that seemed to sour them on that option, although you'd think with the different GM's and ownership that might have been different but it hasn't.

I don't buy that at all. For starters, why would anyone involved with this current Jets team have a single thought regarding Ken O'Brien? Were any of our guys even involved in the NFL when that draft took place? I doubt it. Besides, even if they considered that, its not like O'Brien was this colossal failure. Lets be honest, the guy wasn't exactly put into the best situation and for all the bitching done about the pick over the years, if you switch the Marino and O'Brien picks, O'Brien in Miami probably ends up with the better NFL career than Marino in NY.

Sure we have big holes at WR, CB, S, DL, and HB (TJ is long in the tooth), but what has hurt us the most in the past decade is sub par QB play.

The New York Jets have not drafted a QB in the 1st round since Ken O'Brien, and that was over twenty five years ago.

Based on the mocks I have seen there are 3 first round QB's. Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, and Josh Freeman.

However, the best player in this draft IMO is Chris Wells. I think Wells will be an Adrian Peterson clone. You simply cannot bring him down with arm tackles, and he has the speed to get into the open field.

Percy Harvin, Darius Heyward Bey, and Jeremy Maclin are also solid options at WR. Another playmaker could really put this offense over the top. I personally think Maclin is the best of the bunch. Bey has the most upside, and Harvin is the safest pick.

Our biggest hole is across the dline.. Ellis and Jenkins are OK, but we don't have any other dlineman that would start for an NFL team.

There are actually a number of solid dlineman in this draft, especially ones that could help us. Ron Brace as a NT, Ziggy Hood as a 34 DE, Tyson Jackson as a 34 DE, Fili Moala as a 34 DE...and those are just some of the top tier players. Ziggy hood made himself some money this past week, but i still thikn Tyson Jackson is an absolute monster and would be a perfect pick for our defense.

There's your real reason for not going back to taking a QB in the first round. Why the hell couldn't the Steelers just have taken him like they were supposed to?

Kordell Stewart?

Just kidding, your right bout O'Brien by the way, just trying to illustrate that not drafting a QB in the first round is not team based but managment based kinda lost it there though. It also appears that it happens once on a team every 5, 10 or 15 years depending on how it worked out....ideally the Jets draft/sign that guy soon and never even have to think about our QB situation for 10 years or more. Next year would be 10 years since we drafted Penny.

If Rey Maualuga is on the board when we pick, we should pick him up!

I'm coming around to him, but I'm still not sure he's a good compliment next to harris. He is a classic thumper, who plays well attacking the ball carrier, but struggles and is quite stiff in coverage. However, the kid seems to have a knack for the big play and shows a nastyness that i love.

I think if we could get consistent pressure on the QB he could be a solid pickup, but I would still worry about our coverage on the slot recievers and crossing routes.

we dont need a QB, and this is a weak QB class

which is why, sadly, if the Jets want to win next season instead of rebuld..then they need Favre to come back..

funny...I remember having this conversation last year about this time about another unpopular Jet QB

I was taking a look at the stuff scouts inc and esp have out on the USC D and from the looks of it any of the USC LB would be good fits on the team

ILB Rey Maualuga

Biggest strength: A player with first-round talent, Maualuga showed good recognition, did not hesitate when reacting to the play and got downhill extremely quickly. His explosiveness at the point of attack is elite. Maualuga is able to jolt blockers and run through ball carriers upon contact, and he is at his best when playing on the opponent's side of the line of scrimmage.

Biggest weakness: Maualuga showed vulnerability in the open field, sometimes leaving his feet in an effort to make a tackle and missing the ballcarrier. His over-aggressiveness can get him into to trouble as he has a tendency to overrun plays and allow runners to cut back. A perfect example came on Stanford's first possession of the game when Maualuga was unable to break down and contain Cardinal QB Tavita Pritchard, allowing Pritchard to cut back for a 40-yard gain and set up Stanford's first touchdown of the game.

OLB Brian Cushing

Biggest strength: Cushing played with tremendous instincts, locating the ball quickly and reacting instantly to what he saw. He also showed good strength at the point of the attack, beginning with Stanford's first play of the game. Cushing was quick to recognize an off-tackle run and exploded into the hole, stopping Cardinal RB Toby Gerhart for a two-yard gain. He also showed the awareness in coverage to recognize crossers in zone and the ability to change directions quickly and stay with the Cardinal running backs. Cushing also rates as a first-round talent.

Biggest weakness: Over-aggressiveness gets him into trouble at times. Cushing gave up the edge on a few occasions after biting inside against misdirection, allowing Pritchard to break contain and complete a few throws.

OLB Clay Matthews

Biggest strength: The most impressive thing about Matthews against Stanford was his overall range. He was able to wade through traffic without taking himself out of the play. On a second-quarter toss play Matthews was able to shed a bigger blocker and go down low to make a tough open-field tackle on Gerhart. He also showed good closing speed as he was able to run down ball carriers from the backside. Matthews was fluid in man coverage and ran step-for-step with backs on wheel routes out of the backfield.

Biggest weakness: Matthews struggled when forced to play in a phone booth against bigger offensive tackles and failed to hold the edge consistently when Stanford ran straight at him.

From the looks of it Maualuga has the highest ceiling, Matthews is the most complete LB, but based on the D Ryan is going to put in place Cushing might be the best fit.

which is why, sadly, if the Jets want to win next season instead of rebuld..then they need Favre to come back..

funny...I remember having this conversation last year about this time about another unpopular Jet QB

I have to disagree about Favre coming back. Besides probably the second game against New England, I would be hard pressed to say that Clemens or Ratliff couldn't have done what Favre did this season. I absolutely love Favre and thought that he would have opened up our running game and our downfield passing. However, he was absolutely terrible throwing the ball over 20 yards and towards the end of the year no teams were respecting the deep ball (just like with penny) and I would give our Oline the biggest credit in the increase of our running game.

I really don't see what Flacco has that Clemens or Ratliff does. I'm not annointing either of them as the next great QB, but as far as a game manager goes, I don't see why we can't go with them and develop them while going through the growing pains. Steelers did it with big ben, Pats did it with brady and Cassel, Ravens did it with Ryan etc. If you have a good running game, a good defense and a decent supporting cast on Offense and STs than there is no reason u can't slowly bring along a QB. Especially one who has been in our system for a couple years.

I was taking a look at the stuff scouts inc and esp have out on the USC D and from the looks of it any of the USC LB would be good fits on the team

ILB Rey Maualuga

Biggest strength: A player with first-round talent, Maualuga showed good recognition, did not hesitate when reacting to the play and got downhill extremely quickly. His explosiveness at the point of attack is elite. Maualuga is able to jolt blockers and run through ball carriers upon contact, and he is at his best when playing on the opponent's side of the line of scrimmage.

Biggest weakness: Maualuga showed vulnerability in the open field, sometimes leaving his feet in an effort to make a tackle and missing the ballcarrier. His over-aggressiveness can get him into to trouble as he has a tendency to overrun plays and allow runners to cut back. A perfect example came on Stanford's first possession of the game when Maualuga was unable to break down and contain Cardinal QB Tavita Pritchard, allowing Pritchard to cut back for a 40-yard gain and set up Stanford's first touchdown of the game.

OLB Brian Cushing

Biggest strength: Cushing played with tremendous instincts, locating the ball quickly and reacting instantly to what he saw. He also showed good strength at the point of the attack, beginning with Stanford's first play of the game. Cushing was quick to recognize an off-tackle run and exploded into the hole, stopping Cardinal RB Toby Gerhart for a two-yard gain. He also showed the awareness in coverage to recognize crossers in zone and the ability to change directions quickly and stay with the Cardinal running backs. Cushing also rates as a first-round talent.

Biggest weakness: Over-aggressiveness gets him into trouble at times. Cushing gave up the edge on a few occasions after biting inside against misdirection, allowing Pritchard to break contain and complete a few throws.

OLB Clay Matthews

Biggest strength: The most impressive thing about Matthews against Stanford was his overall range. He was able to wade through traffic without taking himself out of the play. On a second-quarter toss play Matthews was able to shed a bigger blocker and go down low to make a tough open-field tackle on Gerhart. He also showed good closing speed as he was able to run down ball carriers from the backside. Matthews was fluid in man coverage and ran step-for-step with backs on wheel routes out of the backfield.

Biggest weakness: Matthews struggled when forced to play in a phone booth against bigger offensive tackles and failed to hold the edge consistently when Stanford ran straight at him.

From the looks of it Maualuga has the highest ceiling, Matthews is the most complete LB, but based on the D Ryan is going to put in place Cushing might be the best fit.

Cushing probably looked the best out of all of them last week, however he would most likely play an OLB role in our 34. Matthews is a 2nd or later round talent, so not an option with our first.

They all lack in coverage though. If Rex doesn't care and that fits his system than by all means go with Rey Rey. I just was sick and tired of seeing our backers a few steps behind every single time they were in coverage.

In an ideal world i would have loved herzlich outta BC to pair up with harris.

I have to disagree about Favre coming back. Besides probably the second game against New England, I would be hard pressed to say that Clemens or Ratliff couldn't have done what Favre did this season. I absolutely love Favre and thought that he would have opened up our running game and our downfield passing. However, he was absolutely terrible throwing the ball over 20 yards and towards the end of the year no teams were respecting the deep ball (just like with penny) and I would give our Oline the biggest credit in the increase of our running game.

I really don't see what Flacco has that Clemens or Ratliff does. I'm not annointing either of them as the next great QB, but as far as a game manager goes, I don't see why we can't go with them and develop them while going through the growing pains. Steelers did it with big ben, Pats did it with brady and Cassel, Ravens did it with Ryan etc. If you have a good running game, a good defense and a decent supporting cast on Offense and STs than there is no reason u can't slowly bring along a QB. Especially one who has been in our system for a couple years.

look, to me it is simple..you can't assume that two QBs with either no experience (Ratliff) or very little poor experience (Clemens) can give the Jets the same chance as a healthy Favre.

It is crazy to think that they can.....you said it yourself, go through the growning pains....which is my point..if they start Clemens or Ratliff then most likely the Jets have a mediocre season while they learn on the job.

I don't love Favre, but if all the reports are right, his lousy play came about after he hurt himself.

He will always throw his share of INTs but, if healthy, he is still a better choice over Clemens and Ratliff.

Cushing probably looked the best out of all of them last week, however he would most likely play an OLB role in our 34. Matthews is a 2nd or later round talent, so not an option with our first.

They all lack in coverage though. If Rex doesn't care and that fits his system than by all means go with Rey Rey. I just was sick and tired of seeing our backers a few steps behind every single time they were in coverage.

In an ideal world i would have loved herzlich outta BC to pair up with harris.

Actually most college teams run a 4-3 and thats the type of OLB they are projecting him to be, Harris was an OLB in college but because of his size and speed he better fit the 3-4 as an ILB. I think Cushing would be the same, also according to scouts inc Cushing has the best instincts and coverage skills of the 3.

I beleive you forgot Chad Pennington was taken with the 18th pick of the 1st round during 2000 draft

we don't need a qb? you're either delusional or clueless. and that weak qb class **** can take a hike cause that's the same crap people said last year and look how that worked out. :rolleyes:

last time i checked favre hasn't retired yet, second kellen clemens and ratliff r still on the roster.

who said last years QB crop was weak? this is the first im hearing about this:confused0082:

even the patriots drafted a QB last year

last time i checked favre hasn't retired yet, second kellen clemens and ratliff r still on the roster.

who said last years QB crop was weak? this is the first im hearing about this:confused0082:

even the patriots drafted a QB last year

tons of jets fans were saying it.....but anyway...favre's retiring and clemens sucks. ratliff is a complete unknown who'd taken a few pre-season snaps. you're ready to put all your eggs in this basket?

speed on defense

speed on defense

speed on defense

speed on defense

speed on defense

speed on defense

draft complete

seriously, if we blitz but can't cover, or "get home" we're just gonna give up big plays on defense, and then respond with favre fun balls on offense

not pretty

favre will be back next year

he's a greedy selfish SOB who aint gonna go into the sunset as the scapegoat for the new york jets

aint gonna happen

not when he can get almost a million a game for chucking up fun balls

hell, he probably figures he can do it more this year since he may have a defense that can bail him out

speed on defense

speed on defense

speed on defense

speed on defense

speed on defense

speed on defense

draft complete

seriously, if we blitz but can't cover, or "get home" we're just gonna give up big plays on defense, and then respond with favre fun balls on offense

not pretty

favre will be back next year

he's a greedy selfish SOB who aint gonna go into the sunset as the scapegoat for the new york jets

aint gonna happen

not when he can get almost a million a game for chucking up fun balls

hell, he probably figures he can do it more this year since he may have a defense that can bail him out

i really hope favre comes back. i9t gives us another year to figure out what the hell we shodl do at qb.....in case we can't getr something done this season.

give it a couple years, and you'll understand....boy will you understand.

I don't take good quarterbacks for granted. You'll understand how nice it was to have a good one once you have to deal with Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratlif and who ever you guys run out there in the next several years.

The man-love you fishy folks have developed for that guy is side-splittingly hilarious to me.

And that is hilarious to me.

The guy single handedly won 4 or 5 games, completed 65% of his passes, never turned it over, finished 2nd in the MVP vote and got us our first division title since 2000.

So yeah, we kind of like him.

And that is hilarious to me.

The guy single handedly won 4 or 5 games, completed 65% of his passes, never turned it over, finished 2nd in the MVP vote and got us our first division title since 2000.

So yeah, we kind of like him.

Single handedly won 4 or 5 games?!? Now THAT is hilarious. You actually probably believe that load of crap too. What is it about this guy that make people make things up and state them as facts just to protect him? He completed a high percentage of his passes? Shocking, that hasn't been the trademark of his entire career. He never turned it over? Well, you mean except for when it counted in the playoffs, right? Then he choked, another trademark of his career. Finished 2nd in MVP voting? He tied for second with a grand total of 4 votes, but why should I be shocked that a Penny-defender is twisting the facts? Congrats on the division title, hell all you needed was a week 1 Tom Brady injury and 5 game Jets collapse to get it. But of course, it was all Chad. That defense, running game, completely revamped roster from top to bottom and entirely new coaching staff certainly played no part in it.

But hey, enjoy Chad being the Phins starter all you want, but I just know I certainly will. Just don't expect Jets fans who learned better over many years to buy into that load of crap anymore just because you have.

How could you take a good QB for granted? You guys don't have one.

He finished near the top in QB efficeincy. I don't know what else you want him to do. He took this team as far as it could go.

You can harp all you want about what Chad has done in the past; but you'd be a complete homer to omit the fact that he was absolutely brilliant in the 2008 regular season.

Archived