Who Should Be The #1 Pick in this years NFL draft?

Aaron09

The Lions have Wide Receivers...

They have a Running Back...

They have a solid OLB...

So we can rule out guys like Crabtree, Moreno, Wells, Curry, etc.

Basically they'll go either:

QB Matt Stafford, Georgia

OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia

OT Andre Smith, Alabama

OT Jason Smith, Baylor

QB Mark Sanchez, USC

DE Brian Orakpo, Texas

CB Malcom Jenkins, Ohio State

They have a solid OLB...

OT Andre Smith, Alabama

OT Jason Smith, Baylor

QB Mark Sanchez, USC

DE Brian Orakpo, Texas

I think their pick really depends on the combine and personal workouts. They have a ton of holes and there really is a number prospect this year, maybe Crabtree but the Lions have enough WRs.

They have a solid OLB...

OT Andre Smith, Alabama

OT Jason Smith, Baylor

QB Mark Sanchez, USC

DE Brian Orakpo, Texas

So you are saying BASICALLY they will be going either QB,OT,DE or CB..

thanx for narrowing it down for us Joe

The Lions are pretty much expansion team bad. When a team is that bad, unless a Peyton Manning type is available, they should focus on getting talent to surround a QB before they actually get the QB.

See David Carr and Tim Couch.

I agree to a point. At the same time, they may not have the chance to get as good of a prospect in a year or two years if they pick later. So it's not so cut & dry. If it was, Atlanta would have passed on Matt Ryan (who, while the top QB prospect in the draft, certainly wasn't considered a Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer type prospect).

I agree to a point. At the same time, they may not have the chance to get as good of a prospect in a year or two years if they pick later. So it's not so cut & dry. If it was, Atlanta would have passed on Matt Ryan (who, while the top QB prospect in the draft, certainly wasn't considered a Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer type prospect).

Well, the Falcons obviously weren't "expansion team" bad either.

As the Troll noted, the Falcons were no way as bad as the Lions.

The Falcons were in a unique situation brought on by outside forces which screwed up the team (ex. Petrino being an ahole hated by everyone and Vick).

They needed to erase the memory of Vick as soon as possible, which led, in part, to the Ryan pick. The Lions are in a completely different situation of essentially starting over.

No one is as bad as the Lions. I don't know that a team with absolutely nothing at QB can afford to pass up on the top one.

Truthfully, they'd be better off trading down. But there aren't going to be many takers given the "on paper" trade compensation and the idiotic contract that top pick gets.

Why does everybody think Sanchez is such a great prospect? Am I missing something here? Or is it just because he played for USC?

Honestly I didn't see a lot of Sanchez other then the bowl game, but he looked damn good. I liked the way he ran the game, his throws were on target with zip, and he moved really well.

Archived