2009 Top Free Agent WRs

F.Chowds

If this is the full crop do we really want to go after a FA WR? We wont have teh kind of cash the TJ would demand. Is any one missing from this list?

T.J. Houshmandzadeh - The 31 year old Bengals WR hits the open market at the end of March, and our guess is that he can’t freaking wait to get out of there. Had he been an UFA last season, he would have made a boatload of cash, coming off a 112 catch, 1,143 yard, 12 TD season. However, he slowed down towards the end of 2008, missing his last two games due to injury and finishing with 92 catches for 904 yards and only four scores on the season. While the return to health of QB Carson Palmer would be enticing to Housh, the fact of the matter is that a move to a place like Seattle or Miami would be even more so. Tampa Bay could also be an option, as they have a ton of cap space and cash to spend.

Antonio Bryant - The 27 year old came out of nowhere upon his return from the NFL after a one-year hiatus, lighting up the stat column and becoming the Buccaneers number one receiver. Bryant hauled in 83 passes for 1,248 yards and seven TDs, making him a rising fantasy star. However, as quickly as his star has risen, it could very well come crashing down. beware - not only is Bryant an unrestricted free agent during a very solid draft year for WRs - but even if he were to return to Tampa Bay, head coach Jon Gruden has been replaced by Raheem Morris, and the team will have a brand new offensive coordinator in 2009.

Devery Henderson - The 26 year old second round pick from LSU is extremely intriguing. He has become a fantasy option over the last few seasons more so because of the team he plays for rather than his own ability. The speedster has a tendency to make a big play, then go away - we call it “Ashley Lelie Syndrome.” In New Orleans, he became the third option behind Marques Colston and Lance Moore, but if he lands in a place where he can become a possession option while also continuing to flash his field-stretching ability, there’s a slight chance his long term value could rise. Places like St. Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Tennessee, Chicago or San Francisco could all be intriguing fits.

Amani Toomer - The soon-to-be 35 year old hits the open market after 13 seasons with the Giants. It’s hard to see him in another uniform, but there’s a possibility he could follow Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo to the Rams, especially if the Rams let veteran Torry Holt go. Regardless, it’ll be bigger fantasy news for guys like Steve Smith, Domenik Hixon and Mario Manningham if Toomer leaves, than it will for Toomer himself.

Jabar Gaffney - Sporadically over the past two seasons, the 28 year old Gaffney has put together very solid statistical performances, and answered when called upon, making him an intriguing unrestricted free agent this season. Going back to New England would be statistical suicide, and he may actually be able to make some coin elsewhere. The team that drafted him, the Houston Texans, could use some additional help at WR, as could several others. In reality though, Gaffney is a role player, and will likely end up somewhere as just that - perhaps in Denver with former Patriots OC Josh McDaniels.

Bobby Engram - Despite the fact that he’s 36 years old, and coming off a very disappointing 47 catch, 489 yard season, word is that the Seahawks want to re-sign UFA WR Bobby Engram, along with fellow free agent Koren Robinson. When it comes down to it though, these guys are pieces of the puzzle, role players if you will. Seattle still needs - and we expect them to find - a true number one WR to pair opposite Deion Branch. So, even if Engram does return to the Seahawks, don’t expect him to return to his 94 catch form of two years ago.http://nooffseason.com/finger-on-the-pulse/2009-top-free-agent-wrs.html

http://nooffseason.com/finger-on-the-pulse/2009-top-free-agent-wrs.html

I thought I saw Lance Moore was gonna be a free agent too. I wouldn't mind having him too. But hes still not that kind of tall fast WR we've been lacking for a while.

Lance Moore is a midget kick returner. We don't have Drew Brees, remember. I think he's only a RFA anyway, meaning he would require compensation based on the offer he gets from New Orleans.

we might be able to make a run at either Bryant or Henderson...i'm sure T.J. is going to want the kinda money that we just don't have, whether we keep Farve or not!!!..that's just my opinion though...

Bryant is going to be out of our price range, like TJ.

Would like to bring in Jabar Gaffney, other than that its a list of guys who we either cant afford or should have zero interest in if we want to bring a winning mentality to the team.

BOO@ Jabar Gaffney

Housh is the only #1 WR on that list (Bryant debatable)

I'd rather spend the money on defense

We don't need 3 #2 WRs on this team

Housh is not a #1.... he was a good WR with Chad opposite him and Palmer throwing to him... take away the top WR and top QB and he is not a true #1...

I don't want anyone on this list.

Bryant had a career year in a contract year. How many time have we seen that happen? He was nothing before this year, and he'll have to do something else to convince me he's just not a contract-year player.

Houshmanzadeh isn't coming here. Jeez, he almost had an orgasm yesterday on a radio show talking about how much he liked Philadelphia. Have another cheese steak, T.J. It's the only thing you're winning there.

The rest of them aren't even has-beens, they are never-weres.

I don't want anyone on this list.

Bryant had a career year in a contract year. How many time have we seen that happen? He was nothing before this year, and he'll have to do something else to convince me he's just not a contract-year player.

Houshmanzadeh isn't coming here. Jeez, he almost had an orgasm yesterday on a radio show talking about how much he liked Philadelphia. Have another cheese steak, T.J. It's the only thing you're winning there.

The rest of them aren't even has-beens, they are never-weres.

He's actually a great fit there. A possession receiver is what they need.

Archived