Patriots franchise Cassel

Gainzo

I never saw this coming :lol:

The New England Patriots announced today that they have utilized their 2009 franchise designation on quarterback Matt Cassel.

The cost of the franchise tag (the average of the top five highest-paid players at a given position) on Cassel is a one-year tender for $14.65 million, according to the transition and franchise tag numbers released Jan. 30 by the NFL Players Association.

Since the franchise tenders are guaranteed, if Cassel signs the one-year tender, he would count more against the cap than Tom Brady, who is scheduled to carry a cap charge of $14.62 million for 2009. Brady is slated to have a $5 million base salary in 2009 and is due a $3 million roster bonus, so Cassel's take-home pay for '09 would also be more than Brady's.

Of course, there is also the strong possibility the Patriots will trade Cassel, though Patriots coach Bill Belichick did not indicate that as an option in his comment in today's press release.

"Matt has been a pleasure to coach his entire career and last season in particular, when his years of hard work and commitment resulted in a most impressive performance," said Belichick. "We look forward to working with Matt again in 2009."

Today was the first day teams can designate franchise and transition players.

The 26-year-old Cassel, who made 15 starts after Brady's injury, completed 63.4 percent of his passes and threw for 3,693 yards and 21 touchdowns with 11 interceptions.

He becomes the first offensive player and just the fourth Patriot to be franchised by the team, joining Adam Vinatieri (2002 and 2005), Tebucky Jones (2003) and Asante Samuel (2007).

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/02/patriots_franch.html

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't there a pats fan here who speculated after a Matt Cassel interview that he would on his own accord just sign a new contract with the pats and relegate himself to being a backup? That he wouldn't make the pats go the franchise tag route or trade him because he wouldn't ask for too much and he was willing and happy to continue being a career backup.

Wasn't there a pats fan here who speculated after a Matt Cassel interview that he would on his own accord just sign a new contract with the pats and relegate himself to being a backup? That he wouldn't make the pats go the franchise tag route or trade him because he wouldn't ask for too much and he was willing and happy to continue being a career backup.

So you're saying, will the mouthbreathing Chowd please stand up?

Yep. Can't remember who it was though. It wasn't me, Alk, Garb or PFSIKH so your guess is as good as mine.

The possiblilty still exists that Cassel and NE will work out a contract.

ALK....

It was Alk. Never trust a Pats fan who lives in frickin' Kansas!

What's the difference between a Pats fan from Kansas and a Pats fan from Boston? Neither species existed before 2001 anyway. Their evolution may have been simultaneous in multiple locations, but the driving force was identical...

What's the difference between a Pats fan from Kansas and a Pats fan from Boston? Neither species existed before 2001 anyway. Their evolution may have been simultaneous in multiple locations, but the driving force was identical...

@ least he's from Boston, no? A friend of mine has never ever left this state but he's a Pats fan. Never understood that one....

Not for nothing and I am pretty sure it was just posturing, Cassel said he was amiable to being Tom's back-up because it was 'his' team.

I am also pretty sure he would not do it for free.

Yeah that was me and I'll have you know that thread never would have made it past page two without me. :lol:

I existed before 2001 and so did hundreds of thousands of other Pats fans. This will be my 18th year with season tickets.

Once Kraft bought the team in 1994 and brought stable ownership (something the Pats never had with the Sullivans and especially Kiam) the Pats have sold out every game.

This is from the letter I received today with my season ticket invoice. The letter was written by Bob Kraft.

"In 2008, our family enjoyed its 15th season of ownership. While we are proud of the many championships that we have celebrated together, it is most gratifying to know that we have been able to sustain our success since 1994. Since then, we have won more Super Bowl championships, more conference titles and more overall games than any other team in the NFL. In addition, our fans have celebrated 11 consecutive home playoff victories since 1994, a stark contrast from the 0-1 home playoff record in the first 34 years of the franchise"

Back on topic. What team will trade for Cassel?

Pioli is too smart to give up multiple draft picks no matter how highly he thinks of Cassel. The Vikings? They don't seem like the smartest team in the world so that could be the team.

He does not have to.

If he gave up two seconds, this year being #34 and next year's likely higher, that is not that bad a deal. He gets a proven QB and he still has an extremely high 1 this year to spend on D.

It seems win/win.

He does not have to.

If he gave up two seconds, this year being #34 and next year's likely higher, that is not that bad a deal. He gets a proven QB and he still has an extremely high 1 this year to spend on D.

It seems win/win.

Good point but Thigpen played pretty well last season so he may be the QB of the future for the Chiefs. God knows its not Croyle as he sucks.

He does not have to.

It seems win/win.

No way Pioli gives up 2 #1's for a guy who is no better than thigpen

Good point but Thigpen played pretty well last season so he may be the QB of the future for the Chiefs. God knows its not Croyle as he sucks.

True.

That will be interesting to see how he moves forward. Being in KC, he should have time to build it right versus the quick fix.

Archived