Patriots franchise Cassel

Gainzo

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO Matt Cassel will remain a Patriot this year. No team is going to sign Cassel to the franchise tender and then surrender a first round pick and a third round pick for him.

Teams that need a QB

Detroit- Maybe if Matt Millen was still GM. TV personalities really seem to be taken by the guy. Either way Detroit isn't in any sort of position to take a risk on Cassel. They do have the pieces to do this trade though ( 2 first round picks). I just don't see this happening after being victimized by the Scott Mitchell fiasco.

Kansas City- I just don't see Scott Pioli going this root. It definitely isn't the New England way to buy a guy at his highest value. Tyler Thigpen has some potential and the KC Cheifs are in a good situation draft wise. I don't see KC entertaining discussions for Cassel unless Pioli is absolutley enamored by him.

San Francisco- A distinct possibility, but I don't see them offering what New England would want. With the #10 overall pick they will have the chance to get that USC QB that they have wanted for all those years (and his name isn't Matt Cassel). Remember SF has been enamored with SC for a long time now. They pushed hard to get Carroll to come to the bay.

New York Jets- Not going to happen

Minnesota Vikings- Probably the team most likely to go hard after Cassel. They are a win now type team, and seem to be ready to close the book on Tavaris Jackson. It would make sense as they seem poised to take a QB with their first round pick.

In the end I see Cassel staying put.. I just don't see any of these teams pulling the trigger except for maybe Minnesota but it could just be easier for them to opt for a vet.

Maybe......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3891669

Matt Cassel has accepted the New England Patriots' non-exclusive franchise tender, guaranteeing the quarterback at least $14.65 million next season, league sources told ESPN.

The next step is for the Patriots to send Cassel a contract. Cassel effectively will not be a free agent come Feb. 27 and will not be permitted to shop himself to other teams. The Patriots could still trade Cassel.

Cassel faxed his acceptance to the Patriots, the NFL and the NFLPA on Saturday. That means a $14.651 million salary for 2009 in guaranteed even though he has not signed a one-year contract yet. The franchise tag's value is the average of the top five salaries for NFL players at a particular position.

Cassel had a breakout season in 2008, starting 15 games after starting none the seven previous seasons -- four with Southern California as backup to Heisman Trophy winners Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart, and three after New England drafted him in the seventh round in 2005.

That was the smart move. Good for him.

Not really, he is taking away his ability to negotiate freely with any team and makes it more difficult to get a longer contract worth more guaranteed money.

Not really, he is taking away his ability to negotiate freely with any team and makes it more difficult to get a longer contract worth more guaranteed money.

he made the correct move

remember he made 500k last year

he will start 4 games than hold clipboard, then he will be a FA next year

he made the correct move

remember he made 500k last year

he will start 4 games than hold clipboard, then he will be a FA next year

I am not arguing the signing for 14.6. That is always a good move.

Signing it now, going on the assumption something is not in place, is bad.

He loses his ability to negotiate freely with other teams. Short of being a true free agent, as long as he does not sign it, he can shop himself to other teams and maybe generate a bidding war.

Which leads me to think, shocker I know:

-There is not as great a market

-Brady is not going to be ready

-Patriots demands are too high

This move puts the ball squarely in the Patriots' court.

I just don't agree. If he counts $15M against the Pats' cap and they don't need him he has a lot of power. They can't franchise him the next season even if they were so inclined, since they have so many other guys' contracts coming up.

His worst-case scenarios in signing it:

- he doesn't play at all and his long-term deal prospects with other teams are worth a little less. But then, he's already got $15M in his pocket. So even if he only got $10M guaranteed from someone else, that's still $25M guaranteed total.

- he gets permanently injured playing for the Pats this year, gets $15M, and nothing more. He'd probably get around $15M guaranteed on the open market (maximum), so in that case with another team he'd walk away with the same money.

- he's healthy this year for the Pats, but he just becomes way horrible. Still gets $15M for this year and someone will offer him a multi-year contract for a couple million per year at least, and just write it off as an off-season. Or the Pats sign him long-term for less as a backup.

His best-case scenario in signing it:

- gets $15M for this year, then gets another $15M+ guaranteed on a mega-deal. So it's whatever mega-deal he'd seek this year plus another $15M guaranteed on top of that.

I think he'll sign. Way, way more upside in signing than not. If he doesn't sign it, what leverage does he have? It's not the same as Samuel, because there could be upwards of 20 teams interested in signing him (at various dollars).

There are far fewer teams who would see Matt Cassell as an upgrade to their QB position than there are teams who would see Samuel as an upgrade to one of their CB positions.

Basically, the reason Samuel would hate the franchise tag more than Cassell, is there was more opportunity for Samuel last year than there will be for Cassell this year. He also didn't have any potential one-year-wonder stigmas attached to him either.

Totally different. And the Pats suck...my dick.

Nicely done Sperm. ::GoJets:

Maybe he's been following the Manny fiasco and decided a bird in the hand is better. :biggrin:

Brady was playing golf the other day - I suspect that a person with a severe infection would not being doing so. Honestly, I kind of feel bad for the guy. Everyday, there's a picture of him with Giselle, his kid, playing golf, buying groceries.....yeesh! Leave the man alone.

Anyway, Cassel will be traded. It may not be for a first rounder. It could be for a second this year and a first the following year....it could be for a second and fourth this year and a second next year. Who knows what they will iron out. There's a lot of possibilities.

Maybe he's been following the Manny fiasco and decided a bird in the hand is better. :biggrin:

No.

First he would turn down a two year contract worth good money.

Then turn down a one year gift of an offer.

Brady was playing golf the other day - I suspect that a person with a severe infection would not being doing so. Honestly, I kind of feel bad for the guy. Everyday, there's a picture of him with Giselle, his kid, playing golf, buying groceries.....yeesh! Leave the man alone.

Anyway, Cassel will be traded. It may not be for a first rounder. It could be for a second this year and a first the following year....it could be for a second and fourth this year and a second next year. Who knows what they will iron out. There's a lot of possibilities.

I disagree. The Pats are screwed if this was a sign and trade move. No GM in his right mind will make a trade for him giving up a high draft pick when he is only signed for 1 year. And no GM will offer him 25-30 million guaranteed on a long term contract based on one year in a good system. Cassel will refuse anything less. ( Based on Sperm's theory posted above and I agree 100% with)

IMHO, BB is keeping him around because he is not sure how Brady perform when he comes back.

I disagree. The Pats are screwed if this was a sign and trade move. No GM in his right mind will make a trade for him giving up a high draft pick when he is only signed for 1 year. And no GM will offer him 25-30 million guaranteed on a long term contract based on one year in a good system. Cassel will refuse anything less. ( Based on Sperm's theory posted above and I agree 100% with)

IMHO, BB is keeping him around because he is not sure how Brady perform when he comes back.

That is why a contract is negotiated ICW the trade.

And this is why the Pats are screwed. tell me what contract do you think Cassel would agree to?

Holding a clipboard for 14mil plus for a year sounds great to me, but I'm guessing that since he got a taste of what it feels like to start and be productive - he'll want that again. My gut tells me he'll sign a multiyear contract someplace else and the Pats will be compensated with picks. Sitting behind Brady for an entire season will kill his ability to make the cake elsewhere - this is a "what have you done for me lately" league and Cassel will be forgotten. Like I stated before, sell high.

Holding a clipboard for 14mil plus for a year sounds great to me, but I'm guessing that since he got a taste of what it feels like to start and be productive - he'll want that again. My gut tells me he'll sign a multiyear contract someplace else and the Pats will be compensated with picks. Sitting behind Brady for an entire season will kill his ability to make the cake elsewhere - this is a "what have you done for me lately" league and Cassel will be forgotten. Like I stated before, sell high.

Like I stated before, your sell high theory does not work. Unless ofcourse Pioli owes BB a favour. ;)

It would have to be in a trade form at this point... he officially accepted the 15 million...

He wont want to bust his ass all year for no glory behind Brady... he wants out... but he made sure to accept the 15 million just in case he cant get out...

Like I stated before, your sell high theory does not work. Unless ofcourse Pioli owes BB a favour. ;)

I rather doubt that the Chiefs would be the Pats first choice for a trade - Pats don't want to pay top ten money. If this does happen, they will package picks and move down - stockpile picks for next year, etc. My guess, from a Patriots perspective, is that the best case scenario would be Minnesota.

I rather doubt that the Chiefs would be the Pats first choice for a trade - Pats don't want to pay top ten money. If this does happen, they will package picks and move down - stockpile picks for next year, etc. My guess, from a Patriots perspective, is that the best case scenario would be Minnesota.

What makes you think they will get a 1st?

The other teams now have the power... the Pats are STUCK with Cassel at 15 million this season...

Holding a clipboard for 14mil plus for a year sounds great to me, but I'm guessing that since he got a taste of what it feels like to start and be productive - he'll want that again. My gut tells me he'll sign a multiyear contract someplace else and the Pats will be compensated with picks.

And the fact that he signed the tender in record time tells me he won't.

Reality > your gut.

And the fact that he signed the tender in record time tells me he won't.

Reality > your gut.

...and the fact that the Patriots announced the tag a day before the franchise tag period tells me a trade is what they plan on.

My gut and my reality tells me that Jets fans are fearful that the Pats will get picks and shore up their weakening defense.

...and the fact that the Patriots announced the tag a day before the franchise tag period tells me a trade is what they plan on.

My gut and my reality tells me that Jets fans are fearful that the Pats will get picks and shore up their weakening defense.

Good luck finding a team that will pay up what the Pats want now...

Sitting behind Brady for an entire season will kill his ability to make the cake elsewhere - this is a "what have you done for me lately" league and Cassel will be forgotten.

When you say your reality, does that mean the one in which there is any chance of Cassel making more money by signing a long-term deal this year instead of next year, as opposed to the one the rest of us are living in?

And this is why the Pats are screwed. tell me what contract do you think Cassel would agree to?

Something that guarantees him more then 14.6 million.

IMHO Cassel was a bit premature, but you are saying he is going to turn down a contract that gives him 20 million in guaranteed? Hell no. He knows he will make it to at least year three and can probably pocket a lot more then 14.65.

What makes you think they will get a 1st?

The other teams now have the power... the Pats are STUCK with Cassel at 15 million this season...

Schaub. A guy with two starts under his belt netted two second round picks. A guy with a lot more starting experience probably can net more.

Something that guarantees him more then 14.6 million.

IMHO Cassel was a bit premature, but you are saying he is going to turn down a contract that gives him 20 million in guaranteed? Hell no. He knows he will make it to at least year three and can probably pocket a lot more then 14.65

He makes 14.65 this year and a minimum 10 million guaranteed contract with a team of his choosing next year.

For once BB is not in control of the situation.:)

He makes 14.65 this year and a minimum 10 million guaranteed contract with a team of his choosing next year.

For once BB is not in control of the situation.:)

What?

He just boned himself by signing that contract. He could have negotiated with any team that was interested. Now, the Patriots choose.

Tomatoes tomatos. As I said before, he can take the $14.65 million, which is a good move, or he could have waited and tried to work a deal for more guaranteed money. Now, he runs the risk of injury or life in general. Or if Brady's comeback is delayed and he sucks losing money.

He just boned himself by signing that contract. He could have negotiated with any team that was interested. Now, the Patriots choose.

I'll bone myself on live TV for $14.65M!

And the Patriots chose nothing, unless the team that trades for him is willing to take him for the tender he signed. He doesn't have to accept any contract other than that one. He holds all the cards.

Me wonder if there was no market?

I don't think there was. I'd bet that he and his agent know this. The more I think about it, the weirder it is that the Pats even franchised him. He's not dramatically better (if better at all) than a few other names on the QB FA list. He's not worth high and/or multiple picks and a fat contract. Not based on his one year in near perfect circumstances.

So now he has $14.65M in his pocket, and he's guaranteed to be a FA next year. Even if he doesn't play a down this season, he'll get a starter's contract from another team next year. That contract + $14.65M will prove to be worth more than any deal he'd've gotten this year. And next year, he'll really get to choose what team he wants to play for - rather than deciding between the couple desperate teams who might be willing to hand over picks.

Smart move on his part - the right move.

Matt Cassel is worth more the the Patriots, right now, than any other team.

The Patriots have no idea how much of an impact Brady's injury will have.

Will Brady be ready to start? Will his knee hold up? Who knows.

The Pats have to keep Cassel next season, just in case. If Brady can't go, Cassel is the

one they want leading their team.

If Brady comes back and plays pre-injury, then yeah, they'll have to

let Cassel walk next season.

But I think they'll most likely wind up signing him to a 4-5 year deal and keep him.

Too many unknowns, and they want him as insurance.

I'll bone myself on live TV for $14.65M!

And the Patriots chose nothing, unless the team that trades for him is willing to take him for the tender he signed. He doesn't have to accept any contract other than that one. He holds all the cards.

I don't think there was. I'd bet that he and his agent know this. The more I think about it, the weirder it is that the Pats even franchised him. He's not dramatically better (if better at all) than a few other names on the QB FA list. He's not worth high and/or multiple picks and a fat contract. Not based on his one year in near perfect circumstances.

So now he has $14.65M in his pocket, and he's guaranteed to be a FA next year. Even if he doesn't play a down this season, he'll get a starter's contract from another team next year. That contract + $14.65M will prove to be worth more than any deal he'd've gotten this year. And next year, he'll really get to choose what team he wants to play for - rather than deciding between the couple desperate teams who might be willing to hand over picks.

Smart move on his part - the right move.

100% correct

and if he does hold clipboard. it will ensure he doesn't suffer a terrible

career ending injury. perfect scenerio for him

14.6 this year and at least 40-50M over next contract

Matt Cassel is worth more the the Patriots, right now, than any other team.

The Patriots have no idea how much of an impact Brady's injury will have.

Will Brady be ready to start? Will his knee hold up? Who knows.

The Pats have to keep Cassel next season, just in case. If Brady can't go, Cassel is the

one they want leading their team.

If Brady comes back and plays pre-injury, then yeah, they'll have to

let Cassel walk next season.

But I think they'll most likely wind up signing him to a 4-5 year deal and keep him.

Too many unknowns, and they want him as insurance.

By tagging him, the pats have set his value as a top 5 qb in the league. The question is, how many other teams think he is a top 5 qb and will be offering him top 5 money PLUS compensation to the Pats? I am betting none. It sure is funny reading the pats fans on here bending reality though!

Archived