Patriots franchise Cassel

Gainzo

C'mon SMC you are better than that. There were at least 500 Pats fans before 2001.

Cassel will not be the opening day starter for the Pats.

Yes he will....cause i said so

Mort also reporting that pats will keep him as security as they will not

be able to trade in April..too soon and risky

Minn gets D Anderson

Detroit probably Stafford

KC will stay with Thiggy

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes he will....cause i said so

Mort also reporting that pats will keep him as security as they will not

be able to trade in April..too soon and risky

Minn gets D Anderson

Detroit probably Stafford

KC will stay with Thiggy

Mort? You are quoting him? He is by far and away the worst reporter in the NFL. 70% of his "scoops" are flat out wrong.

Brady will be the QB for the NEP this September.

Makes no sense.

NE would then devote approximatley 25% of its salary cap on 2 players. They have other players to extend this season and would be cap poor.

the pats really have no say at this point, it is up to whatever other team and cassel decide. The pats have to hope a team is willing to give them enough AND willing to persuade cassel from taking a 14.65 million dollar one year vacation on the bench. His value will pretty much be just as high next year, so why not just take the huge payday with little injury risk then taste free agency.

the pats really have no say at this point, it is up to whatever other team and cassel decide. The pats have to hope a team is willing to give them enough AND willing to persuade cassel from taking a 14.65 million dollar one year vacation on the bench. His value will pretty much be just as high next year, so why not just take the huge payday with little injury risk then taste free agency.

I strongly disagree. In this "what have you done for me lately" society we live in today, Cassel will be well-served to strike while the iron is hot. Say Brady comes back and plays well - Cassel's "heroics" will be long forgotten. You know this saying well: Sell high. Sure, Cassel could "screw" the Pats and stay at this tender and refuse to be traded but I suspect that a true competitor wants the opportunity to propell his career. Not sure if Cassell will get the Pats a huge draft bounty - but he will get them something good. There are teams out there desperate for a qb.

Mort is gawd..Come on man

Brady will miss first 4 games...trust me

Ok Doctor Assmop. :rolleyes:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/01/28/brady_on_target/

Really? He will be a year older and unless he sees significant playing time, he still has the "one year wonder" label to beat.

The Patriots do have some say. If Cassel and for example KC worked out a contract. However, KC and the Patriots cannot work out compensation, the Patriots can holdout for it. This denies Cassel the chance to earn more then $14.65 million. Seeing he probably sits between Schaub (48 million) and Rodgers (65 million w/20 guranteed), he is an accident away from losing a lot.

C'mon SMC you are better than that. There were at least 500 Pats fans before 2001.

True, my bad.

Cassel will not be the opening day starter for the Pats.

Just my gut feeling. And it's not anti-chowd/Pats or anything.

Just from reading reports on how shady the news is of his recovery (one report saying he's on schedule, the next saying he's not, etc.) and seeing Brady all over the place on the red carpet, on the beach with Giselle, etc., Brady reminds me of Rocky at the beginning of Rocky III.

He seems to be enjoying the celebrity life and being with Giselle. It's hard for a professional athlete to turn off the celebrity switch and get back to business after a big time injury.

Another reason why I believe Cassel wont ever see Tag money is that it took Tom Brady 8 years, 4 Super Bowls, countless wins to achieve the same money Cassel would supposedly recieve for 11 wins. It would not only be a slap in the face of Tom Brady, but would also throw the NEP salary structure out of kilter.

He has the tag money, he can sign right this second to make sure of it.

Unless he's perfectly happy being a backup in which case they sign him at a back up rate. :headbang:

lol... sure he would pass up 15 mil... :roll:

The possiblilty still exists that Cassel and NE will work out a contract.

Again why the hell would he pass up 15 mill... your insane and being very blind here...

Not until Cassel signs it Forest.

He can sign it any moment he wants... and why the hell wouldnt he unless he is being traded somewhere he wants? 15 million... he will not pass on that to save the pats money...

Ok Doctor Assmop. :rolleyes:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/01/28/brady_on_target/

Really? He will be a year older and unless he sees significant playing time, he still has the "one year wonder" label to beat.

The Patriots do have some say. If Cassel and for example KC worked out a contract. However, KC and the Patriots cannot work out compensation, the Patriots can holdout for it. This denies Cassel the chance to earn more then $14.65 million. Seeing he probably sits between Schaub (48 million) and Rodgers (65 million w/20 guranteed), he is an accident away from losing a lot.

1) A year older? He isn't that old to begin with and he has very little mileage on the tires, so I can't see age and one year as any type of issue, especially if Brady is fine and Cassel sits on the bench for the season.

2) One year wonder, if a team thinks of him that way now, they will think of him that way next year, and vice versa. Him being proactive in getting traded this year really won't do anything to help that stigma.

3) Cassel may be able to get a multi year contract that ultimately will pay him more than 14.65 million, but no way he is going to get a long term contract that pays him that much each year, and he will do it while picking splinters out of his ass on the bench. Then next year a team can give him that fat contract and NOT have to give a single thing to the Pats.

In the end, the Pats really had no choice and they were forced into this crappy move. They really should have come to him at some point during the season and locked him up. As far as I can see this plays out 2 ways, both of which suck for New England. Either a) Brady is good to go and takes his spot back and Cassel cashes in or B) Brady is not healthy and Cassel becomes the guy and then the Pats have to really pay up even more for Cassel while still having Brady on the books.

I really think The pats did this not to try and get anything for Cassel because that risks a lot of cap money, but because they are actually worried about Brady's return. Whatever happens, it is gonna mess with the Pats bad this year because of the cap implications.

Again why the hell would he pass up 15 mill... your insane and being very blind here...

He can sign it any moment he wants... and why the hell wouldnt he unless he is being traded somewhere he wants? 15 million... he will not pass on that to save the pats money...

speaking the truth, 15 mil on the table...he takes it...

NE is in a tight spot here...

1) A year older? He isn't that old to begin with and he has very little mileage on the tires, so I can't see age and one year as any type of issue, especially if Brady is fine and Cassel sits on the bench for the season.

2) One year wonder, if a team thinks of him that way now, they will think of him that way next year, and vice versa. Him being proactive in getting traded this year really won't do anything to help that stigma.

3) Cassel may be able to get a multi year contract that ultimately will pay him more than 14.65 million, but no way he is going to get a long term contract that pays him that much each year, and he will do it while picking splinters out of his ass on the bench. Then next year a team can give him that fat contract and NOT have to give a single thing to the Pats.

In the end, the Pats really had no choice and they were forced into this crappy move. They really should have come to him at some point during the season and locked him up. As far as I can see this plays out 2 ways, both of which suck for New England. Either a) Brady is good to go and takes his spot back and Cassel cashes in or B) Brady is not healthy and Cassel becomes the guy and then the Pats have to really pay up even more for Cassel while still having Brady on the books.

I really think The pats did this not to try and get anything for Cassel because that risks a lot of cap money, but because they are actually worried about Brady's return. Whatever happens, it is gonna mess with the Pats bad this year because of the cap implications.

What?

If they were interested in retaining him and covering their ass, they would have given him the exclusive tag which would allows him to only negotiate with the Patriots. The non-exclusive tag allows him to look for a deal. :rolleyes:

His new team when they are negotiating a contract is going use his "one year wonder" status. They will structure the deal to give him a bonus similar to Schaub. Schaub received 7 guaranteed and after next season, he is due a 10 million bonus. I imagine if he continues to be injured and average he will not see that money.

I expect Cassel to get something similar. I think he will see around the tag money or a little more guaranteed and a nice bonus in two years that will be picked up if he continues to play well.

What makes you think if they keep Cassel they will not slap the tag on him again next year? They still could slap it on him unless they negotiated a one year contract. Even if your scenario played out, then that team also loses exclusive negotiating rights. I am sure Cassel would not mind having a bidding war for his services.

Don't you realise by now that PatsRAIN never makes any sense ? :)

Don't you realise by now that PatsRAIN never makes any sense ? :)

No, it is Jets fan that failing to grasp concepts.

If he signs it now, he loses the ability to pick and choose were he goes. That also can severely limit the Patriots moving him. Cassel can negotiate in bad faith and try to sabotage a deal.

Why do you think players like Assante refuse to sign it and hate the franchise tag? Dee dee dee.....they lose a lot of their freedom if they sign it and are missing out on signing bonuses.

:rolleyes:

Why do you think players like Assante refuse to sign it and hate the franchise tag? Dee dee dee.....they lose a lot of their freedom if they sign it and are missing out on signing bonuses.

A lot of players in the past have waited to sign so that can miss out on all the fun and frivolity that is training camp. If you know the team won't rescind the tag, that's not a bad play. I think the big concern with the tag is the possibility of getting injured in that one year, and missing out on the big money as a result. Cassel's really not in that position. If the Pats have trouble moving him, and Brady's looking healthy, they could easily opt to simply pull the tag back if it's not signed.

Cassel could work with the team in an effort to work out a deal that's favorable to both parties, but he'd be a fool not to sign it if he's not moved before the draft. By then, all the big money will be gone.

No, it is Jets fan that failing to grasp concepts.

If he signs it now, he loses the ability to pick and choose were he goes. That also can severely limit the Patriots moving him. Cassel can negotiate in bad faith and try to sabotage a deal.

:rolleyes:

I just don't agree. If he counts $15M against the Pats' cap and they don't need him he has a lot of power. They can't franchise him the next season even if they were so inclined, since they have so many other guys' contracts coming up.

His worst-case scenarios in signing it:

- he doesn't play at all and his long-term deal prospects with other teams are worth a little less. But then, he's already got $15M in his pocket. So even if he only got $10M guaranteed from someone else, that's still $25M guaranteed total.

- he gets permanently injured playing for the Pats this year, gets $15M, and nothing more. He'd probably get around $15M guaranteed on the open market (maximum), so in that case with another team he'd walk away with the same money.

- he's healthy this year for the Pats, but he just becomes way horrible. Still gets $15M for this year and someone will offer him a multi-year contract for a couple million per year at least, and just write it off as an off-season. Or the Pats sign him long-term for less as a backup.

His best-case scenario in signing it:

- gets $15M for this year, then gets another $15M+ guaranteed on a mega-deal. So it's whatever mega-deal he'd seek this year plus another $15M guaranteed on top of that.

I think he'll sign. Way, way more upside in signing than not. If he doesn't sign it, what leverage does he have? It's not the same as Samuel, because there could be upwards of 20 teams interested in signing him (at various dollars).

There are far fewer teams who would see Matt Cassell as an upgrade to their QB position than there are teams who would see Samuel as an upgrade to one of their CB positions.

Basically, the reason Samuel would hate the franchise tag more than Cassell, is there was more opportunity for Samuel last year than there will be for Cassell this year. He also didn't have any potential one-year-wonder stigmas attached to him either.

Totally different. And the Pats suck...my dick.

A lot of players in the past have waited to sign so that can miss out on all the fun and frivolity that is training camp. If you know the team won't rescind the tag, that's not a bad play. I think the big concern with the tag is the possibility of getting injured in that one year, and missing out on the big money as a result. Cassel's really not in that position. If the Pats have trouble moving him, and Brady's looking healthy, they could easily opt to simply pull the tag back if it's not signed.

Cassel could work with the team in an effort to work out a deal that's favorable to both parties, but he'd be a fool not to sign it if he's not moved before the draft. By then, all the big money will be gone.

No doubt.

If the Patriots rescind it, they make him a free agent which is not a bad thing for him..

That is my point (red). The Patriots gave him the non-exclusive tag so they could move him. If he signs the tag he cannot work a deal because the other team owes two firsts which sucks for his new team. I think you nailed it. Work a deal now and if nothing happens by the draft, sign it.

I just don't agree. If he counts $15M against the Pats' cap and they don't need him he has a lot of power. They can't franchise him the next season even if they were so inclined, since they have so many other guys' contracts coming up.

His worst-case scenarios in signing it:

- he doesn't play at all and his long-term deal prospects with other teams are worth a little less. But then, he's already got $15M in his pocket. So even if he only got $10M guaranteed from someone else, that's still $25M guaranteed total.

- he gets permanently injured playing for the Pats this year, gets $15M, and nothing more. He'd probably get around $15M guaranteed on the open market (maximum), so in that case with another team he'd walk away with the same money.

- he's healthy this year for the Pats, but he just becomes way horrible. Still gets $15M for this year and someone will offer him a multi-year contract for a couple million per year at least, and just write it off as an off-season. Or the Pats sign him long-term for less as a backup.

- gets $15M for this year, then gets another $15M+ guaranteed on a mega-deal. So it's whatever mega-deal he'd seek this year plus another $15M guaranteed on top of that.

I think he'll sign. Way, way more upside in signing than not. If he doesn't sign it, what leverage does he have? It's not the same as Samuel, because there could be upwards of 20 teams interested in signing him (at various dollars).

There are far fewer teams who would see Matt Cassell as an upgrade to their QB position than there are teams who would see Samuel as an upgrade to one of their CB positions.

Basically, the reason Samuel would hate the franchise tag more than Cassell, is there was more opportunity for Samuel last year than there will be for Cassell this year. He also didn't have any potential one-year-wonder stigmas attached to him either.

Totally different. And the Pats suck...my dick.

Sperm Slats nailed it.

It is advantageous for Cassel, his new team and the Patriots to be amicable. Giving him the non-exclusive 'suggests' the Patriots are looking to move him otherwise they would have slapped him the exclusive tag. That they franchised him early also gives him time to go looking for a deal. Maybe I am naive, but I am guessing the Patriots have given Cassel some parameters of what they are looking for.

I would not be surprised if at midnight on the 1st, he signs it and is traded.

I think he'll sign. .

1) but he won't be the flavor of the month this time next year if brady stays healthy, big risk. the scott mitchells of the NFL have to strike while the iron is hot

2) and he has an option not to sign ?

what then ? is he UFA ?

What?

If they were interested in retaining him and covering their ass, they would have given him the exclusive tag which would allows him to only negotiate with the Patriots. The non-exclusive tag allows him to look for a deal. :rolleyes:

Because the only way they can lose him with a non exclusive franchise tag is if the trading team gives 2 first round picks. I am sure the Pats would be find to part with Cassel in exchange for 2 first rounders even if Brady isn't back

His new team when they are negotiating a contract is going use his "one year wonder" status. They will structure the deal to give him a bonus similar to Schaub. Schaub received 7 guaranteed and after next season, he is due a 10 million bonus. I imagine if he continues to be injured and average he will not see that money.

I expect Cassel to get something similar. I think he will see around the tag money or a little more guaranteed and a nice bonus in two years that will be picked up if he continues to play well.

If his guarantee will be what he is getting already as a backup and for one year, why would he sign a contract that will give him that amount over more than one year on a team where he will actually have to play and risk injury? If I could pocket 14.65 million THIS YEAR, then get what will be pretty much the same contract next year that he would get this year, it is a no brainer.

What makes you think if they keep Cassel they will not slap the tag on him again next year? They still could slap it on him unless they negotiated a one year contract. Even if your scenario played out, then that team also loses exclusive negotiating rights. I am sure Cassel would not mind having a bidding war for his services.

First I think they can't retag him because of the possible uncapped 2010 season, that was mentioned on the nfl network today. Second, if they could it would be at least 16 million, which means you would have locked up 30 million in two years just on cassel without thinking about brady.

Because the only way they can lose him with a non exclusive franchise tag is if the trading team gives 2 first round picks. I am sure the Pats would be find to part with Cassel in exchange for 2 first rounders even if Brady isn't back

Of course the Patriots would accept two firsts, but as I said above. His gaining team screws itself if Cassel signs the offer sheet. Work deal that is mutually beneficial to all parties.

If his guarantee will be what he is getting already as a backup and for one year, why would he sign a contract that will give him that amount over more than one year on a team where he will actually have to play and risk injury? If I could pocket 14.65 million THIS YEAR, then get what will be pretty much the same contract next year that he would get this year, it is a no brainer.

Why? Cassel needs to strike now.

If he waits he risks life happening to him. He he loses his chance to earn a lot more. If he can get something similar to Rodgers deal now, 20 million guaranteed and 65 million total, he pockets more now and has a few seasons at the very least to earn salary and bonuses in addition to his signing bonus in the event he sucks.

First I think they can't retag him because of the possible uncapped 2010 season, that was mentioned on the nfl network today. Second, if they could it would be at least 16 million, which means you would have locked up 30 million in two years just on cassel without thinking about brady.

Actually, that is a great point. I remember them talking about during Superbowl week. If the 2010 is indeed uncapped, Cassel is a restricted free agent. The uncapped year raised the free agent limit to six years to have some sort of cost control.

BTW Brady is getting paid at 14 million a pop. He is not exactly hurting.

BTW Brady is getting paid at 14 million a pop. He is not exactly hurting.

Actually, Brady i think is getting paid only 5 or so million this year plus a roster bonus or something. He is not actually getting 14 mill this year, it only counts against the cap this year as that much, what with the way they play around with the numbers to work the cap system. Cassel will be getting paid quite a bit more for 09.

Its been discussed ad naseum.

If Cassel wants to start he wont sign the Tag. Furthermore, he gets more money via a long term contract.

Actually, Brady i think is getting paid only 5 or so million this year plus a roster bonus or something. He is not actually getting 14 mill this year, it only counts against the cap this year as that much, what with the way they play around with the numbers to work the cap system. Cassel will be getting paid quite a bit more for 09.

I was not clear enough. Brady counts 14 million against the cap. Like you said, 5 for base salary, a three million bonus and 6+ in pro-rated bonus.

Mea culpa.

IMO Matt Cassel will remain a Patriot this year. No team is going to sign Cassel to the franchise tender and then surrender a first round pick and a third round pick for him.

Teams that need a QB

Detroit- Maybe if Matt Millen was still GM. TV personalities really seem to be taken by the guy. Either way Detroit isn't in any sort of position to take a risk on Cassel. They do have the pieces to do this trade though ( 2 first round picks). I just don't see this happening after being victimized by the Scott Mitchell fiasco.

Kansas City- I just don't see Scott Pioli going this root. It definitely isn't the New England way to buy a guy at his highest value. Tyler Thigpen has some potential and the KC Cheifs are in a good situation draft wise. I don't see KC entertaining discussions for Cassel unless Pioli is absolutley enamored by him.

San Francisco- A distinct possibility, but I don't see them offering what New England would want. With the #10 overall pick they will have the chance to get that USC QB that they have wanted for all those years (and his name isn't Matt Cassel). Remember SF has been enamored with SC for a long time now. They pushed hard to get Carroll to come to the bay.

New York Jets- Not going to happen

Minnesota Vikings- Probably the team most likely to go hard after Cassel. They are a win now type team, and seem to be ready to close the book on Tavaris Jackson. It would make sense as they seem poised to take a QB with their first round pick.

In the end I see Cassel staying put.. I just don't see any of these teams pulling the trigger except for maybe Minnesota but it could just be easier for them to opt for a vet.

Archived