Another reason to draft heyward-bey

Jetkid94

My issue with Heyward-Bey is that he's a person who never really lived up to those numbers in college. I mean, we're talking about someone who only caught 609 yards worth of balls last year despite this blazing size/speed ratio. I'd rather have someone like Crabtree/Maclin/Britt/Nicks who were extremely productive players in college. Even someone like Harvin who I don't care for much as he's a jack of all trades, master of none.

He's some what inconsistant and definitely raw but he wasn't really used at Maryland the way he should've which explains a part of that. I believe the coaches even admitted they didn't feature him in the offense enough, don't quote me on that though.

im likin robiskie... he'll slide cuz hes sort of a jack of all trades master of none.. but i think he has the most natural hands/coordination.. pick him up in the 3rd or 4th...hayward bay is just a sexy pick, hes desean jackson without the hands

Have you ever seen DHB play? I have been talking about him for a couple of years now, so I've seen my fair share of games. I also watched Cal when #1 was there, so I've seen both extensively.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by he's desean jackson without the hands?? DHB has above average to good hands and is 2.5" inches taller, 30 lbs heaver and ran .05 faster.

He's some what inconsistant and definitely raw but he wasn't really used at Maryland the way he should've which explains a part of that. I believe the coaches even admitted they didn't feature him in the offense enough, don't quote me on that though.

My issue with Heyward-Bey is that he's a person who never really lived up to those numbers in college. I mean, we're talking about someone who only caught 609 yards worth of balls last year despite this blazing size/speed ratio. I'd rather have someone like Crabtree/Maclin/Britt/Nicks who were extremely productive players in college. Even someone like Harvin who I don't care for much as he's a jack of all trades, master of none.

The reason he didn't have the production is that Maryland was a more run-oriented offense, with god-aweful QB play. Chris Turner makes Reggie ball look like a first rounder. He didn't tear it up, but his numbers are pretty decent when comparing to Calvin Johnson, another prospect who was handcuffed bu his QB play.

DHB - 138 receptions, 2,089, 13

CJ- 178 Receptions, 2,927 yds and 28 tds

CJ was a 6'5 235 lb freak who ran a 4.3ish 40, but didn't completely dominate the league like someone would expect. What people were going on was his body control, great hands etc. IE. measurables.

DHB is 6'2 210 lbs with blazing speed, 4.3 40, and incredible leaping ability 38". He has shown to not only be a deep threat, but runs good crossing routes, can catch in traffic.

While he is not the prospect that CJ was, he does have decent fairly solid production and the measurables to warrant the pick. I personally believe that he would be a perfect pick for us if we do decide to go that route.

Well he is actually 6'2" and can catch the football. I find it somewhat humorous you're saying pass on a kid who just ran a 4.3 official 40, is 6'2" 210 and have never seen him play.

It's exactly the type of receiver we need. He could be this years Andre Johnson, only faster and about 15 pounds lighter.

well then why isn't he going top 3 ?

well then why isn't he going top 3 ?

The same reason some other players aren't top 3. He doesn't have the college production a lot of the elite receivers have, but I've explained some reasons for that.

He is a very good prospect for the 15-20 range, but not a top 5 or 10 prospect. I never said that he was. I think he's an excellent pick for our team, he compliments our current receivers very well.

He would be our tallest WR at 6'2, and by far our fastest; not to mention his 38" vertical leap. He has the ability to change defensive game plans and allow our other recievers more 1 on 1 matchups.

I don't think he's a top 10 pick, but for the 17th pick and our current situation, he's a great one. I respect your opinion if you don't think he's a good selection, but just saying pass isn't solid criticism.

Have you ever seen DHB play? I have been talking about him for a couple of years now, so I've seen my fair share of games. I also watched Cal when #1 was there, so I've seen both extensively.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by he's desean jackson without the hands?? DHB has above average to good hands and is 2.5" inches taller, 30 lbs heaver and ran .05 faster.

The reason he didn't have the production is that Maryland was a more run-oriented offense, with god-aweful QB play. Chris Turner makes Reggie ball look like a first rounder. He didn't tear it up, but his numbers are pretty decent when comparing to Calvin Johnson, another prospect who was handcuffed bu his QB play.

DHB - 138 receptions, 2,089, 13

CJ- 178 Receptions, 2,927 yds and 28 tds

CJ was a 6'5 235 lb freak who ran a 4.3ish 40, but didn't completely dominate the league like someone would expect. What people were going on was his body control, great hands etc. IE. measurables.

DHB is 6'2 210 lbs with blazing speed, 4.3 40, and incredible leaping ability 38". He has shown to not only be a deep threat, but runs good crossing routes, can catch in traffic.

While he is not the prospect that CJ was, he does have decent fairly solid production and the measurables to warrant the pick. I personally believe that he would be a perfect pick for us if we do decide to go that route.

Junior Stats

Calvin Johnson - 76 rec, 1,202 yards, 15 TD

Darrius Heyward-Bey - 42 rec, 609 yards, 5 TD

I don't mean to rip on him, but Calvin Johnson doubled his production as a Junior.

The same reason some other players aren't top 3. He doesn't have the college production a lot of the elite receivers have, but I've explained some reasons for that.

He is a very good prospect for the 15-20 range, but not a top 5 or 10 prospect. I never said that he was. I think he's an excellent pick for our team, he compliments our current receivers very well.

He would be our tallest WR at 6'2, and by far our fastest; not to mention his 38" vertical leap. He has the ability to change defensive game plans and allow our other recievers more 1 on 1 matchups.

I don't think he's a top 10 pick, but for the 17th pick and our current situation, he's a great one. I respect your opinion if you don't think he's a good selection, but just saying pass isn't solid criticism.

I really didn't spend a lot of time on this. it was a knee jerk reaction

I meant pass on the #17 pick, and I still feel that way

again the only point I am making is he is that "off the charts" with measurables, and not considered an elite prospect, the scouts probably just don't see him as a very good football player on film

DHB

He's tearing up the WR Group at the combine:

No. 1 40 time.

No. 9 in Bench Press.

No. 5 in Vertical Jump.

No. 5 in Broad Jump.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

The beat goes on:

No. 9 in Three Cone.

No. 7 in 20 Yd Shuttle.

Anyone see how his drills went?

I will try and find video.

Update: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ee0f6a

Caught every ball in the sideline to sideline crossfire drill.

Looks like Brian Robiske had a nice day too.

Lots of options at WR in Rounds 1 and 2.

broadway - i've been to a few terps games the last couple of years and dhb is an absolute burner. the problem with drafting a wr in rd 1 is that they never seem to perform well in their first year. for whatever reason wr seems to be a position that takes longer to develop and there just as many late rd successes as 1st rd'ers.

i would actually never want the jets to take a wr rd 1. i don't care how 'can't miss' the player is. for whatever reason the wr's always seem to miss. especially in ny with the immediate pressure to play well or be tagged with the 'b' word.

Archived