Peter King On Lewis/Scott To Jets

SoFlaJets

INDIANAPOLIS -- The draft is in the air, yes. But it's 61 days away, and when you get the coaches and general managers together in one place, as they were this weekend here at the Arctic Circle, you can just tell they're in first grade in 2009 Draftology 101.

(So how cold was it? Friday morning around 7, Jim Mora and the Seattle staff were getting ready to open the front door of the downtown Marriott, and they all buttoned up and pulled their collars tight, and Mora said, "Get ready for an Arctic blast!'' And they all hustled outside, on their way to Lucas Oil Stadium and the combine. By Saturday night, the wind was howling at 20 or 25 mph, and it was snowing sideways, and it was 5 or 10 degrees wind-chill, and I walked by a delegation of Jaguars in their leather Jag jackets, and they looked like walking, tanned ice cubes. It always snows sideways here in late February.)

So we'll get to the draft, and to the first impressions left by the next wave of stars. First let's hit the NFL stories that feel the most interesting to me heading into a newsy week of free agency, which kicks off Friday morning at 12:01 a.m.:

I think Ray Lewis will seriously consider leaving the Ravens.

Will he go? Don't know. But my guess -- and it's an educated guess, nothing more -- is Lewis, who turns 34 in May, will not get a deal done with the Ravens before Friday, and he'll take a couple of visits on the first weekend of free-agency. Where? Dallas and the Jets are the teams that seem the most logical; I never thought under the salary cap they'd be able to clear enough room to go after a big player like Lewis. But the Jets, after some Chris Baker-type housecleaning last week, stand about $18 million under the cap this morning; I believe if coach Rex Ryan and GM Mike Tannenbaum wanted to, they could certainly afford both Lewis and fellow Ravens free-agent linebacker Bart Scott. The Cowboys are $12.3 million under.

Wouldn't that be amazing: Ray Lewis with the star on his helmet. Or Ray Lewis coming to the Jets. Or Ray Lewis and Bart Scott to Jersey.

Again, I'm saying this is an educated guess. But either one makes a lot of sense to me. Jones always loves a new star, particularly with a tarnished team readying for a move into the new Cowboys stadium. Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson proved last year with the Brett Favre gambit that they're not afraid to take a chance on a big-name veteran.

The Ravens without Lewis would be as different as the Colts without Manning, or the Yanks without Jeter. And had Baltimore known Lewis would have played as great as he did in year 13 last fall, they'd certainly have gotten this deal done last spring or summer. But now there are two teams in major need of defensive intensity and team leadership out there. Rex Ryan would love to have him in New Jersey, and I think Jerry Jones would view Lewis as the solution to all the me-first stuff plaguing his team. This could be a case where the Ravens -- with $19.4 million to spend under the 2009 cap -- might be forced to match a financial package that would simply be too much for the new Ryan-less regime to stomach. It'll be an interesting week in Baltimore.

Agree. I certainly don't see the Jets signing both. Has Peter King ever heard of David Harris?

As bad as we think the local guys like Cimini are, the national guys are considerably worse. At least Cimini has a clue if not a brain since he really only has to know the Jets. These national guys are just as big of dipsh*ts as the local guys, yet they have to talk about all 32 NFL teams and not just one.

The national sports media is a joke.

tell me why we need to sign 2 premier ilb'ers?

We don't :) . I was just watching the NFLN . They were comparing Bart Scott vs Ray Lewis as FA. The conclusion if you had to pick one ? Scott is the better value "not even close" . Ray Lewis , they feel , WILL be back in Baltimore.

We don't.

Sign the SS Leonhard and the ILB Scott. Harris will do fine at the other ILB. Use Pace as the rush OLB.

Move Rhodes to FS fulltime.

Then grab a CB in the draft and we're good on D.

Just my opinion.

agreed. this is realistic and would be a nice upgrade in terms of talent, imo. coupled with what i expect to be a much better defensive scheme and we have what looks to be a top 10 defense. and probably a run stopping, qb pressuring machine. our db's will look 10x better when the opposing qb doesn't have all day to sit back there and pick apart our defense. when you have qb's who haven't played since highschool and o-lines comprised of practice squad players making your defense look bad then there's something terribly wrong with the game plan. at least thats my opinion.

agreed. this is realistic and would be a nice upgrade in terms of talent, imo. coupled with what i expect to be a much better defensive scheme and we have what looks to be a top 10 defense. and probably a run stopping, qb pressuring machine. our db's will look 10x better when the opposing qb doesn't have all day to sit back there and pick apart our defense. when you have qb's who haven't played since highschool and o-lines comprised of practice squad players making your defense look bad then there's something terribly wrong with the game plan. at least thats my opinion.

Agreed.

Now if we can only get a #1 WR fall into our lap for the offense ...:)

On Sirius NFL this morning Cimini actually had a pretty good analogy of Lewis (if the Jets sign him in '09). That it would be the defensive equivalent of signing Brett Favre in '08.

Whatever one thinks of Cimini, I'd say that's actually a pretty good analogy.

Also he expects a deal with Richardson to be finalized before FA officially starts, and for the Jets to sign Leonhard (in addition to one of Lewis or Scott). Not exactly breaking news, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Also commented that half the people "in the building" were for Clemens and half for Ratliff & that it wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the former considering the latter has never taken a snap in a real game.

Made some comments about contrasts between Mangini/Ryan. That Mangini wouldn't approach anyone or seek out others' opinions. Basically he went into his office, locked the door, and stayed there in his little bunker all the time. By comparison, Ryan was seeking out everyone to talk to them & get to know them right away. To be fair, he did say that may translate to absolutely nothing in terms of winning games, but that a lot of people within the Jets org had a lot of issues with Mangini.

It's just one beat-writer's assessment, so take it for what it's worth. I am merely the messenger.

On Sirius NFL this morning Cimini actually had a pretty good analogy of Lewis (if the Jets sign him in '09). That it would be the defensive equivalent of signing Brett Favre in '08.

Also he expects a deal with Richardson to be finalized before FA officially starts, and for the Jets to sign Leonhard (in addition to one of Lewis or Scott). Not exactly breaking news, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Also commented that half the people "in the building" were for Clemens and half for Ratliff & that it wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the former considering the latter has never taken a snap in a real game.

Made some comments about contrasts between Mangini/Ryan. That Mangini wouldn't approach anyone or seek out others' opinions. Basically he went into his office, locked the door, and stayed there in his little bunker all the time. By comparison, Ryan was seeking out everyone to talk to them & get to know them right away. To be fair, he did say that may translate to absolutely nothing in terms of winning games, but that a lot of people within the Jets org had a lot of issues with Mangini.

It's just one beat-writer's assessment, so take it for what it's worth. I am merely the messenger.

Even if he was some kind of Sid Gilliam/Bill Walsh type of genius (far from it) cooking up exotic plays, schemes, that is absurd. The job of a head coach is to lead, manage, teach, motivate. You can't do any of those things alone behind a closed door.

Thanks, Sperm.

Good info.

It'll be interesting to see how the QB situation plays out this year. Only the staff can really make an educated assessment at this point because we certainly haven't seen enough, although I did like Ratliff in the few spots we have seen him. We'll see.

Thanks, Sperm.

Good info.

It'll be interesting to see how the QB situation plays out this year. Only the staff can really make an educated assessment at this point because we certainly haven't seen enough, although I did like Ratliff in the few spots we have seen him. We'll see.

que 124 walking into this thread and talking about ups drivers in 5.......4......3......

Even if he was some kind of Sid Gilliam/Bill Walsh type of genius (far from it) cooking up exotic plays, schemes, that is absurd. The job of a head coach is to lead, manage, teach, motivate. You can't do any of those things alone behind a closed door.

Bingo.

When you think about it, it is kind of amazing how this guy got the head coaching job with the Jets, never mind, ANOTHER opportunity with Cleveland.

Other than just being Belichick fraternity brother and errand boy, what has this guy done that has made GM's in this league believe he can be a head coach in the NFL?

I mean think about it. This is the classic case of "it's not what you know, it's who you know".

Had this guy not been carried by Belichick on his staff, there's NO WAY he's a head coach in this league right now.

And even WITH Belichick, the one year he was the DC in New England (2005), rumor had it that Belichick took over calling the defense for Mangini midway through the season because he wasn't happy with the performance of the defense.

Then he gets fired by the Jets, and even after runblings about how he was to work with comes out, he gets ANOTHER head coaching position?

It really is amazing.

Other than just being Belichick fraternity brother and errand boy, what has this guy done that has made GM's in this league believe he can be a head coach in the NFL?

Actually, Mangini is a perfect example of what can go wrong when owners make decisions on their own that GMs should be making. When mangini was hired by the Jets, remember, Bradway was a lame duck GM who got demoted to Personal Director afterward. Woody, at the time, hired mangini soley out of self admitted Patriots envy. Even if Mr. T, the Cap guy at the time, had any input, keep in mind he and Mangini were best friends. Hardly the stamp of approval of an experienced NFL GM. And Mr. T did not seem to put up any fight when Woody decided mangini had to go.

Now, he goes to the Browns, hired by another owner with Patriots envy (Crennel, Mangini) - BEFORE he even hired a GM. Which is unbelievable.

After Mangini fails in Cleveland, I am afraid it will be the end of the line. Unless there happens to be another Patriots loving owner with a lameduck or vacant GM. Not likely.

Actually, Mangini is a perfect example of what can go wrong when owners make decisions on their own that GMs should be making. When mangini was hired by the Jets, remember, Bradway was a lame duck GM who got demoted to Personal Director afterward. Woody, at the time, hired mangini soley out of self admitted Patriots envy. Even if Mr. T, the Cap guy at the time, had any input, keep in mind he and Mangini were best friends. Hardly the stamp of approval of an experienced NFL GM. And Mr. T did not seem to put up any fight when Woody decided mangini had to go.

Now, he goes to the Browns, hired by another owner with Patriots envy (Crennel, Mangini) - BEFORE he even hired a GM. Which is unbelievable.

After Mangini fails in Cleveland, I am afraid it will be the end of the line. Unless there happens to be another Patriots loving owner with a lameduck or vacant GM. Not likely.

Yep, good points.

My main point was that, regardless of who did the hirings, the only reason this guy has even received ANY consideration as a head coach is his association with Belichick, because he clearly doesn't have any accomplishments of his own or a resume deserving the consideration he's gotten.

I mean, I'm not a big Jim Fassel guy, but the man has been a pretty successful head coach in this league, has been to a Super Bowl, and can't get a job anywhere, yet a guy like Mangini gets another shot right away.

Pretty amazing to me.

Archived