Pats can not afford Peppers of Carolina?

faba

Report: Patriots may not be able to afford Peppers

Christopher L. Gasper of the Boston Globe reports a league source confirmed that the Patriots have discussed Peppers but didn't know of an imminent deal. The Panthers denied knowledge of a deal, citing the fact that Peppers has not signed his franchise tag tender and thus can't be traded (although his agent, Carl Carey, is free to shop him to other teams). ... It's highly unlikely the Patriots could fit Peppers's franchise salary under the cap, so any deal would have to include a new contract. That could also be a problem for the Patriots.

Players have taken less to come to New England, but how much less than the $16.68 million he is scheduled to make in 2009 or the $13.9 million he made last season would Peppers take? The best comparison for Peppers as a 3-4 outside linebacker would be Baltimore hybrid Terrell Suggs, who was franchised for the second straight year. Suggs, who in six seasons has 53 career sacks, received a 20 percent bump from the $8.475 million he made last season, pushing his salary to $10.17 million.

So, would Peppers, the owner of 70.5 career sacks in seven seasons, accept less than $10 million a year in a long-term deal?

Even at $9.5 million a year, Peppers could be a problem for the Patriots, who have a high-profile class of 2010 free agents that includes nose tackle Vince Wilfork, defensive end Richard Seymour, left guard Logan Mankins, cornerback Ellis Hobbs, and running back Kevin Faulk.

Not only would signing Peppers to a lucrative deal preclude the Patriots from being able to sign some of their own pending free agents, but it likely wouldn't go over well with Wilfork and Seymour, who have been proven producers for the Patriots.

Hate to say I told ya so...

Nah I love it actually.

Hey, Buster, I was saying the same thing. Peppers will not be a Patriot. The only reason this story grew legs is because 1) Peppers is on record saying he wants to play in the 3-4 and 2) mentioning the Pats automatically gives a story legs.

However, anyone that mentions Ellis Hobbs as a high profile free agent really needs a clue.

Report: Patriots may not be able to afford Peppers

Christopher L. Gasper of the Boston Globe reports a league source confirmed that the Patriots have discussed Peppers but didn't know of an imminent deal. The Panthers denied knowledge of a deal, citing the fact that Peppers has not signed his franchise tag tender and thus can't be traded (although his agent, Carl Carey, is free to shop him to other teams). ... It's highly unlikely the Patriots could fit Peppers's franchise salary under the cap, so any deal would have to include a new contract. That could also be a problem for the Patriots.

Players have taken less to come to New England, but how much less than the $16.68 million he is scheduled to make in 2009 or the $13.9 million he made last season would Peppers take? The best comparison for Peppers as a 3-4 outside linebacker would be Baltimore hybrid Terrell Suggs, who was franchised for the second straight year. Suggs, who in six seasons has 53 career sacks, received a 20 percent bump from the $8.475 million he made last season, pushing his salary to $10.17 million.

So, would Peppers, the owner of 70.5 career sacks in seven seasons, accept less than $10 million a year in a long-term deal?

Even at $9.5 million a year, Peppers could be a problem for the Patriots, who have a high-profile class of 2010 free agents that includes nose tackle Vince Wilfork, defensive end Richard Seymour, left guard Logan Mankins, cornerback Ellis Hobbs, and running back Kevin Faulk.

Not only would signing Peppers to a lucrative deal preclude the Patriots from being able to sign some of their own pending free agents, but it likely wouldn't go over well with Wilfork and Seymour, who have been proven producers for the Patriots.

All things being equal, Seymour has been getting paid pretty well these last few years. We can say over paid in 2006 and 2007. His pro-rated bonus average stands at 6 million per year.

If the Patriots were to go after Peppers, the contract would be structured to minimize impact this year and start taking advantage of the 9.7 salary cap foot print Seymour is occupying next year.

I am with Garb on this. I do not think they go after Peppers either. It would not be impossible to do, but it would be hard to do and goes against every salary discipline the Patriots preach.

All things being equal, Seymour has been getting paid pretty well these last few years. We can say over paid in 2006 and 2007. His pro-rated bonus average stands at 6 million per year.

If the Patriots were to go after Peppers, the contract would be structured to minimize impact this year and start taking advantage of the 9.7 salary cap foot print Seymour is occupying next year.

I am with Garb on this. I do not think they go after Peppers either. It would not be impossible to do, but it would be hard to do and goes against every salary discipline the Patriots preach.

Wilfat is worth more than Peppers... so if they sign Peppers they are shooting themselves in the foot for getting a decent Wilfat deal as his agent will not settle for less than Peppers...

Hate to say I told ya so...

Nah I love it actually.

What exactly did you tell us? That he wouldn't take anything less than his guaranteed franchise money? Nobody has said that he won't yet. Keep patting yourself on the back and you might need surgery.

What exactly did you tell us? That he wouldn't take anything less than his guaranteed franchise money? Nobody has said that he won't yet. Keep patting yourself on the back and you might need surgery.

I have a couple of posts simply stating the pats cannot afford him.

Yes and now a guy who probably has slightly more football knowledge (if even that) than you is saying the same thing so that somehow validates it? Like I said, I'll believe it when Peppers is lining up for a team other than the Patriots on opening day.

Yes and now a guy who probably has slightly more football knowledge (if even that) than you is saying the same thing so that somehow validates it? Like I said, I'll believe it when Peppers is lining up for a team other than the Patriots on opening day.

Your right... why use logic and math when you can just dream! :lol:

I think most Pats fans agree with you. Though I would phrase it slightly differently as the Pats COULD afford him, but it would cost in other places.

Regardless, I think Seymour and Hobbs are gone next season anyways, Wilfork is re-signed, and Mankins is re-signed if he doesn't want to be one of the highest paid guards in the league. No Peppers for me, just draft the best edge rusher you can get.

I think most Pats fans agree with you. Though I would phrase it slightly differently as the Pats COULD afford him, but it would cost in other places.

Regardless, I think Seymour and Hobbs are gone next season anyways, Wilfork is re-signed, and Mankins is re-signed if he doesn't want to be one of the highest paid guards in the league. No Peppers for me, just draft the best edge rusher you can get.

They would have to make cuts and not re-sign key players... mathematically they could... but not realistically...

They would have to make cuts and not re-sign key players... mathematically they could... but not realistically...

That is what we have been saying.

I agree. Out of those 5 (including Peppers), I would prefer to see Wilfork and Mankins signed.

That is what we have been saying.

I agree. Out of those 5 (including Peppers), I would prefer to see Wilfork and Mankins signed.

Wilfork is gonna get a HUGE deal... maybe they are waiting to see what happens with the CBA first... uncapped could be even more dangerous though...

Your right... why use logic and math when you can just dream! :lol:

Yes because there is no way to clear up the necessary cap room. Sure as it stands they can't afford him. I never denied that but if they want him bad enough they can make room for him.

Yes because there is no way to clear up the necessary cap room. Sure as it stands they can't afford him. I never denied that but if they want him bad enough they can make room for him.

Anyone see the irony of Ecrub being the Dream **** when there are threads concerning Cutler, Brandon Marshall and Samari Rolle?

You know your team better than I do...

http://www.patscap.com/

Thats the cap... they have about 6 million right now... leave 5 million or so for the rookies and clear up another 10 million or so for Peppers...

Tell me what moves they can make.

Thats the cap... they have about 6 million right now... leave 5 million or so for the rookies and clear up another 10 million or so for Peppers...

I'm not a cap guru and never claimed to be. All I know is we could combine what you and I know about the cap, multiply by by 10 and still not even come close to what Belichick knows about it. Again, not saying it WILL happen I'm just saying it COULD and WOULD if Belichick wants him bad enough.

I'm not a cap guru and never claimed to be. All I know is we could combine what you and I know about the cap, multiply by by 10 and still not even come close to what Belichick knows about it. Again, not saying it WILL happen I'm just saying it COULD and WOULD if Belichick wants him bad enough.

It is easy... clear up 10 million...

Look in the right column on that page... make 10 million worth of cuts...

Dont be a chicken... just do it...

i can see mumbles filling up shoe boxes with cash:bwahaharoll:

It is easy... clear up 10 million...

Look in the right column on that page... make 10 million worth of cuts...

Dont be a chicken... just do it...

I don't know much about the cap but I do know it's not just that easy. There are cap hits and $hit like that. There is also the option of restructing deals to make room this season.

I don't know much about the cap but I do know it's not just that easy. There are cap hits and $hit like that. There is also the option of restructing deals to make room this season.

They do not have much to re-structure... they actually have deals they need to extend... and will cost more on the cap...

The Pats are starting to pile up some very high paid guys... makes things tricky...

Brady at 14.6 and Seymour + Moss just under 10 million... to add another 10 million + guys is almost impossible considering that Wilfork will be right around there too...

Brady

Seymour

Moss

Wilfork

That makes those 4 guys (if they can extend Wilfork) cost the pats almost 50 million alone...

Now add Mankins and Watson to the list of guys that should get a boost in $$$ (Watson is making less than Baker...)...

The pats are on the verge of cap hell...

st vincent is sitting there waiting to be paid!!!!

i'm sure mumbles is scared of his wife

1201614880_4371.jpg

Watson just needs to go the hell away.

Word.

They do not have much to re-structure... they actually have deals they need to extend... and will cost more on the cap...

The Pats are starting to pile up some very high paid guys... makes things tricky...

Brady at 14.6 and Seymour + Moss just under 10 million... to add another 10 million + guys is almost impossible considering that Wilfork will be right around there too...

Brady

Seymour

Moss

Wilfork

That makes those 4 guys (if they can extend Wilfork) cost the pats almost 50 million alone...

Now add Mankins and Watson to the list of guys that should get a boost in $$$ (Watson is making less than Baker...)...

The pats are on the verge of cap hell...

"Oh no...the sky is falling." :rolleyes:

Seeing Seymour, Green and Faulk will be off the books after 2009, the Patriots will also have that 19+ million to play with also.

The point is the Patriots have some wiggle room to include extending Tom.

Word.

"Oh no...the sky is falling." :rolleyes:

Seeing Seymour, Green and Faulk will be off the books after 2009, the Patriots will also have that 19+ million to play with also.

The point is the Patriots have some wiggle room to include extending Tom.

Seymour will be off the books? They are gonna let him walk?? lol

It's not as crazy as it sounds. I would like to keep him but the fact is the Patriots aren't getting what they're paying for with him and he's not going to take less than that next year.

Yes.

He will be 30 this season.

He played pretty decent last year after being banged up the previous two seasons.

If he is not looking to break the bank...then keep him but if he is looking for Haynesworth money...see ya.

Especially if keeping him loses Wilfork.

Yes.

He will be 30 this season.

He played pretty decent last year after being banged up the previous two seasons.

If he is not looking to break the bank...then keep him but if he is looking for Haynesworth money...see ya.

Especially if keeping him loses Wilfork.

The Pats dont even sign defensive players until they hit 30! ;)

Cut Kevin Faulk (3.114M)

Cut Teddy Bruschi (1.615M)

Cut Stephen Neal (2.297M)

That clears 7 M. Sign Matt Light to an extension that drops his cap number this year to ~2.5 M or so (say 6 years, 42M, with a 5M signing bonus and a 10M option bonus due at the start of the 2010 league year, and he plays for vet minimum this season and averages 5.5M/season over the last 5 years of the deal, and his cap number drops to ~ 2.5M and he still gets more money this year than he's due to be paid under his current deal) and you clear another 1.4M

Now they're at 8.4, looking to clear another 1.6M

You think Moss, Brady and Thomas mind taking 500K apiece and shifting it off of this year's cap?

hell, if the Pats are ready to cut ties with Seymour next year in favor of Jarvis Green (also a FA after the season) they can extend Jarvis the same way they can with Light, at a reasonable price, and save themselves cap room that way.

Anyone looking at the Jets roster/cap situation wondered how they were going to be able to sign any FAs this offseason. A little creative accounting and prioritizing, and we have 30+M in cap room. Think the Pats don't know how to do it if they want to? Think again.

Archived