2009/10 NCAA basketball Thread

SouthernJet

I can't believe Marquette lost to DePaul! MU is looking to be very middle-of-the-pack this year with maybe a few more upsets left in the tank.

Rutgers is CLEARLY going to be the cellar dweller of the Big East.

Im sure they are looking to get that sour taste out of their mouths and put themselves right back into the thick of things on the road @ #5 Syracuse this Saturday... Dangerous game for Syracuse...

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's way too early to start thinking bubble.

I don't. Doe UNC have more then 1 quality win this year? (Mich. St.) And that win was back in november. Yeah, there's still a month and a half in change left in the regular season... But you gotta think time is not on their side, right?

I don't. Doe UNC have more then 1 quality win this year? (Mich. St.) And that win was back in november. Yeah, there's still a month and a half in change left in the regular season... But you gotta think time is not on their side, right?

Also beat OSU, those are 2 better wins than any SU has if you want to talk quality wins. The Heels have played the toughest sched in the Country and only have one bad loss(Charleston).

There's alot of time left, barring a complete collapse they'll make the Tourney.

If they keep playing like they are they won't make the Tourney but I can't see this keeping up much longer.

Also beat OSU, those are 2 better wins than any SU has if you want to talk quality wins. The Heels have played the toughest sched in the Country and only have one bad loss(Charleston).

There's alot of time left, barring a complete collapse they'll make the Tourney.

If they keep playing like they are they won't make the Tourney but I can't see this keeping up much longer.

Well, Cuse did beat you guys pretty handily the day after you beat Ohio State (granted, no longer as much of a quality win as I wouldve liked) and we also won on the road at West Virginia last week. I agree, you guys did play a tough schedule, I can make the argument that Oakland (Mi) played just as tough of a non-con schedule, but they lost all of their games. Point is, how tough of a schedule you play is meaningless if you dont win some big games. Michigan State and Ohio State were both very good wins, in november. What have they done since to prove they belong in the tournament? That was my only point.

My rankings prediction:

1 - Kentucky

2 - Kansas

3 - Villanova

4- Syracuse

5 - Duke (depending on game vs Clemson tonight)

6 - Michigan State

7 - Texas

8,9,10 - Pretty much anybody's guess...

I'll buy your top-4. That's pretty much what I would expect to happen. Texas has to drop out of the top-3 now.

LOL, just found this gem on a Cuse forum...

Allen Iverson will never win an NBA title because he's a Georgetown piece of ****. He can follow in Patrick Ewing's footsteps, who cannot read this. He can follow in Dikembe Mutumbo's footsteps, who smells of garbage and rotten milk. Or he can follow in Mike Sweetney's footsteps, and end up at Burger King, where he can get a large number 2, 3 and 7, with a large Dr. Pepper.

:rl::rl:

I would rank them like this:

Kentucky

Nova

Kansas

Syracuse

Duke

UK has to be #1 because undefeated is undefeated. That said, they played a pretty soft OOC schedule. Their best wins are UNC (who are now going to be unranked) and UConn (who are going to be ranked again, but are a similarly inconsistent team).

Well, Cuse did beat you guys pretty handily the day after you beat Ohio State (granted, no longer as much of a quality win as I wouldve liked) and we also won on the road at West Virginia last week. I agree, you guys did play a tough schedule, I can make the argument that Oakland (Mi) played just as tough of a non-con schedule, but they lost all of their games. Point is, how tough of a schedule you play is meaningless if you dont win some big games. Michigan State and Ohio State were both very good wins, in november. What have they done since to prove they belong in the tournament? That was my only point.

But they did win some games.

They played 5 teams in the top 21 of the current AP poll and won 2 of them. Only one of those games was at home w/ 1 on the road and 2 at "neutral" sites that were basically road games.

But they did win some games.

They played 5 teams in the top 21 of the current AP poll and won 2 of them. Only one of those games was at home w/ 1 on the road and 2 at "neutral" sites that were basically road games.

That is a good point that I would be willing to discuss on most days, however today my attention is focused on way more important things, like how badly Georgetown sucks. Check out the interesting flowchart here... http://hoyasuxa.com/ --See 2nd article

South Carolina... eh? Well, that should knock UK off the top. If K-State wins on Saturday, #1 will probably fall to either Villanova or 'Cuse.

I know its still about 8 games out and a lot of teams in the way on both sides, but how awesome would a 1 vs 2 matchup be on gameday primetime on feb 27th to likely determine the big east regular season champion? Not to mention a possible final four preview game as well. IF that we're to happen, we'd be seeing 36k+ in the dome for sure... smothering the on campus single game attendance record (currently owned by cuse, 33,633).

At this point its still not much more then a pipe dream but man, would that be something else!!

I know its still about 8 games out and a lot of teams in the way on both sides, but how awesome would a 1 vs 2 matchup be on gameday primetime on feb 27th to likely determine the big east regular season champion? Not to mention a possible final four preview game as well. IF that we're to happen, we'd be seeing 36k+ in the dome for sure... smothering the on campus single game attendance record (currently owned by cuse, 33,633).

At this point its still not much more then a pipe dream but man, would that be something else!!

That would be great.

Agreed! Wright is an overrated coach, he is an incredible recruiter, but coaching is avg.

Umm...I didnt see anyone say that. And I think he is a very good coach as well as an unbelievable recruiter. Nova would be very wise to hang onto him for as long as possible. As a rival fan, I think both he and Jamie Dixon of Pitt have a chance to both be great-HOF coaches for a long time at their two schools. Wouldn't be surprised to see those 2 develop into a coaching rivalry similar to that of Calhoun/Boeheim in the Big East after they both retire.

Agreed! Wright is an overrated coach, he is an incredible recruiter, but coaching is avg.

I used to think that too. He's a little iffy on inbounds plays (as in, he doesn't have very many of them), but now that I understand his system and have seen some of the adjustments that he has made, I'm convinced. Jay Wright is actually a really good coach.

I used to think that too. He's a little iffy on inbounds plays (as in, he doesn't have very many of them), but now that I understand his system and have seen some of the adjustments that he has made, I'm convinced. Jay Wright is actually a really good coach.

I remember in last year's Big East thread, around January, you were going nuts with Wright.

I was talking with my dad about this and we both agreed that Wright is a top-10 coach in the country, both recruiting and actual coaching. His system is amazing. The swarming defense and always attacking mentality. That's why Nova always does well, even with their small lineups. They have had the most aggressive team in the country the past few years from what I've seen.

Uart, do you think Wright is the kind of coach that would stick around at Nova for a long time? Or would he get restless after a few more years, and move on to somewhere else? I personally would love having him stick around, that would help keep the overall quality of Big East hoops great for a while.

A National Title? This year has been his best coaching year, but he hasn't won the big game. This years team like every year is all guard play and zero points in the paint. Live and die by the 3 ring a bell?

He's led 'Nova to multiple Elite 8s, Sweet 16, the Final Four- what more do you want out of him?

He is an elite recruiter, everyone thought when Fred Hill left so would the great recruits and that has not happend.

I am a huge Big East fan and I love the Big 5. Nova has always been the snobby school when it comes to the Big 5 and Wright/Rollie have not helped in that area.

I will be the first in line to admit I am wrong if Nova wins a National Title. I love Scottie Reynolds and his shot selection has been vastly improved this year!

A National Title? This year has been his best coaching year, but he hasn't won the big game. This years team like every year is all guard play and zero points in the paint. Live and die by the 3 ring a bell?

I was saying literally the exact same thing last year. They made the Final Four.

what year should you have won a National Title and didn't? Even in '06 when you lost as a 1 seed you lost to a better Florida team.

This year is your best shot, CBB is wide open and 'Nova has one of the best teams but it's hard to win a National Title.

Archived