Washington Nationals @ New York Yankees [Yankee Stadium] Game Thread

Vudu

After taking 2 of 3 from the crosstown rival METS, the Yankees look to gain momentum when an underachieving Nats team come to town.

Washington Nationals VS. New York Yankees

100px-Washington_Nationals.svg.png100px-NewYorkYankees_PrimaryLogo.svg.png

Tuesday

29232.jpg VS. 4553.jpg

Martis (5-1, 5.04) Sabathia ( 5-4, 3.68)

Wednesday

28834.jpg VS. 6209.jpg

Lannan (3-5, 3.51) Wang (0-4, 14.34)

Thursday

2u61ymq.jpg VS. 28847.jpg

Stammen (0-2, 5.86) Chamberlain (3-1,3.84)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are one of the better hitting teams in baseball, but there defense if the worst in the league. I saw them play the Phillies a few weeks ago and adam dunn and austin Kearns missed about three simple fly balls that let in three runs and cost them the game 4-2 after a good preformance by John Lannan. I say the nats only chance to win is tonight with Martis on the mound, and although Lannan is improving I think he will get shelled.

They are one of the better hitting teams in baseball, but there defense if the worst in the league. I saw them play the Phillies a few weeks ago and adam dunn and austin Kearns missed about three simple fly balls that let in three runs and cost them the game 4-2 after a good preformance by John Lannan. I say the nats only chance to win is tonight with Martis on the mound, and although Lannan is improving I think he will get shelled.

minor correction for ya:

they start tomorrow.

Just a heads up from someone who's seen a ton of Nats games this year; don't think this is a gimme-series. With Yankee Stadium being what it is, they should definitely be able to put runs on the board. They may not pitch very well and defensively they're suspect almost everywhere, but the one thing that Washington is good at is hitting. They have a very good 1 thru 5 and can score fairly quickly once things get going. And that kid they have going on the mound on Wednesday, Lannan, is a solid young lefty. If this was at Nationals Park, I'd say the sweep's a lock, but with the way the ball flies to both sides in the Bronx lately, it's a perfect setup for Washington to pull out a game, or possibly even two.

Jose Veras was DFA. It's about time.:cheers:

Bruney was activated.

Here is the Yankee lineup for tonight...

YANKEES (36-27)

Jeter SS

Damon LF

Teixeira 1B

Rodriguez 3B

Cano 2B

Posada C

Matsui DH

Swisher RF

Cabrera CF

Pitching: LHP CC Sabathia (5-4, 3.68).

NATIONALS (16-45)

Lineup TBA

Pitching: RHP Shairon Martis (5-1, 5.04).

A little close for comfort today against a god AWFUL team. Still, a W is a W. If Wang can't put it together tomorrow they gotta inject Hughes into this lineup... oh and have him throw to Cervelli. Posada doesn't know how to catch young guys., or anyone now.

Just a heads up from someone who's seen a ton of Nats games this year; don't think this is a gimme-series. With Yankee Stadium being what it is, they should definitely be able to put runs on the board. They may not pitch very well and defensively they're suspect almost everywhere, but the one thing that Washington is good at is hitting. They have a very good 1 thru 5 and can score fairly quickly once things get going. And that kid they have going on the mound on Wednesday, Lannan, is a solid young lefty. If this was at Nationals Park, I'd say the sweep's a lock, but with the way the ball flies to both sides in the Bronx lately, it's a perfect setup for Washington to pull out a game, or possibly even two.

the nationals have a historically bad bullpen, can't field, starting pitching that can't find the plate, and the hitting has significantly cooled over the last month.

i've watched a lot of nats games this year and when the game gets to the 6th or 7th inning you just know they are going to find a way to lose it.

if strasburg can develop as a #1 or #2 starter they have a chance down the road with lannan, zimmerman, strasburg, martis, and the other young lefty whose name i forgot. but right now this team is epicly bad.

Archived