JN Mafia Thread: Superheroes Unite!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why don't you explain the difference for the newer guys, and the veteran guys who also think they're identical.

A "role" is a doctor, cop, etc. that would fit into the definition of a town power role. This goes back to CTM and my discussion about the breakdown of the game. These power roles have abilities tied to their roles, not necessarily the game.

A "game specific power" means any player ability tied to the game in question, specifically this superhero game. For instance, Wolverine's healing ability.

So, if Wolverine gets lynched or NK'd he can survive.

Being Wolverine is not a power role, but he has certain ability based on who he is. Get it?

Do you not remember Doggin's TV land game? Everyone had some sort of special character in that game. I mean hell, I was a recruiting, power-absorbing, serial killer in that game. Granted some roles were a lot more beneficial to town than others, but everyone still had some sort of role, and given the flavor of this game, I'd imagine there is probably a lot more to this than just a standard mafia setup.

No, I wouldn't because I wasn't in that game. Sorry.

A "role" is a doctor, cop, etc. that would fit into the definition of a town power role. This goes back to CTM and my discussion about the breakdown of the game. These power roles have abilities tied to their roles, not necessarily the game.

A "game specific power" means any player ability tied to the game in question, specifically this superhero game. For instance, Wolverine's healing ability.

Being Wolverine is not a power role, but he has certain ability based on who he is. Get it?

Yes.

And I figured that's what you'd say, and it sounds like semantics BS, as not one person was arguing that the doctor or the cop would have additional powers. Simply, that there are many reasons to believe that every player has a power of some kind, with the doctor being a type of power.

Wait!

WHy are you giving props to JVOR for giving everyone a game specific power when you already said that you don't have one? If you don't have a power, how could everyone have a power??

I'm locking in my vote and am not moving with that one..

As much as it sickens me I have to agree with you here. I was just about to post the same thing until I saw you did.

SMC.. care to explain why earlier you clearly stated you didn't have an "enhanced" character but a couple hours later you give props to JVOR if he's given everyone (which would include yourself) a role?

This is starting to look bad for you....

It is too me..

A game specific power = roled. No powers = townie..

Besides, when you were giving props to JVOR, you used the word POWER. not roles. So earlier, you said you had no game specific power, then gave props to JVOR if he gave everyone a game specific power, which would be impossible if you didn't have one. You got caught with your hand in the cookie jar..

They are in no way Identical one you can control, one you can not... big difference IMO. this post has my attention Chan not in a good way

Immaterial. You said you don't have a game specific power and then later said "props to JVOR if he gave everyone a game specific power" Shirley you see the contradiction

As a townie he would know if everyone had a power or not as he would either have one or not. He narrowed it down to him either being scum or someone with a more traditional Mafia power as he is not 100% sure about the whole power/non power thing. He eliminated himself having no power and having a non-traditional power. He is scum or a target now. Either way vote stays.

How would I know that? Was there a universal PM sent out where every townie was cc'd?

Come on now. Only the scum team share PMs. But we're getting outside the game again which isn't cool.

I make no claim to a power role and I don't have anything like I described in the Wolverine example. If I'm supposed to then I'll have to go outside the game and contact JVoR and ask him about it.

They are in no way Identical one you can control, one you can not... big difference IMO. this post has my attention Chan not in a good way

If my role is a bomb, bulletproof, i can't control it. It's semantics, and again not relevant cause he used consistant terms both times: "game specific powers"

As much as it sickens me I have to agree with you here. I was just about to post the same thing until I saw you did.

SMC.. care to explain why earlier you clearly stated you didn't have an "enhanced" character but a couple hours later you give props to JVOR if he's given everyone (which would include yourself) a role?

This is starting to look bad for you....

Why I gave props to JVoR? Because I still think it's BS. I can't see the game having 15 town power roles.

I couldn't care less if it "looks" bad because this is simply a blind feeding frenzy not based on anything material.

C'mon man, a power is a power. If JVOR spent so long putting this thing together odds are he used flavor to tie the "traditional" powers into the characters with game flavor. For example, I'd bet $5000 Vcash that in this game the traditional cop role is Batman.

So do you think its possible all 20 people have a "game specific power"? If so, how is that idea different than 15 roled townies and 5 roled scum?

If my role is a bomb, bulletproof, i can't control it. It's semantics, and again not relevant cause he used consistant terms both times: "game specific powers"

Semantics? Okay, a game of "superheroes" and super ability is the same as a mafia game with power roles. I don't see it.

So what your saying is its impossible that earlier he could have worded things wrong and you pounced all over him for it ?

You claimed the "game specific" and "role" were identical when SMC claimed they were not and your trying to cloud that with past posts that were not even relevant. They are not identical chan sorry.

A role you can control and a role you can Not control are 2 different things and ithink thats what SMC meant all along.

C'mon man, a power is a power. If JVOR spent so long putting this thing together odds are he used flavor to tie the "traditional" powers into the characters with game flavor. For example, I'd bet $5000 Vcash that in this game the traditional cop role is Batman.

So do you think its possible all 20 people have a "game specific power"? If so, how is that idea different than 15 roled townies and 5 roled scum?

Okay, under yours and other's theories of 15 roled townies would all of them have to do night actions? If so ...

JVoR set up a game where he has to wait for 14 PMs (assuming a townie is lynched day 1) from the townies, then how long with Night 1 be? Three to four days while he waits for all these night actions? Heck, Night 1 could last a week!

How can such a game possibly work? It would be a nightmare.

So what your saying is its impossible that earlier he could have worded things wrong and you pounced all over him for it ?

You claimed the "game specific" and "role" were identical when SMC claimed they were not and your trying to cloud that with past posts that were not even relevant. They are not identical chan sorry.

A role you can control and a role you can Not control are 2 different things and ithink thats what SMC meant all along.

He also said, 'I don't have a game specific power' and then 'props to jvor if everyone has a game specific power'...

Everyone can't have one if he doesn't have one, correct?

If so, he hasn't acknowleged his mistake at all. He most certainly said "powers" both times. The fact that you also don't acknowledge this is troubling.

And I disagree with you there. If you have a power of any kind, you're roled. The rest is just flavor. If I'm Wolverine and can withstand NK's, then I'm a bullet proof townie. period. In your absence here we've been been experiamenting with more elaborate roles then we did back at JI.. like watchers/trackers/bullet proofs, hated townie, masons, cults, post restrictions, lovers, peopel coming back from the dead.. etc..

He also said, 'I don't have a game specific power' and then 'props to jvor if everyone has a game specific power'...

Everyone can't have one if he doesn't have one, correct?

Correct. But if he is separating them as 2 different things and denying one of those 2, there is obviously one left for him to have which he does not want to reveal or can't reveal.

So what he might be saying is his power is controlable.

If so, he hasn't acknowleged his mistake at all. He most certainly said "powers" both times. The fact that you also don't acknowledge this is troubling.

And I disagree with you there. If you have a power of any kind, you're roled. The rest is just flavor. If I'm Wolverine and can withstand NK's, then I'm a bullet proof townie. period. In your absence here we've been been experiamenting with more elaborate roles then we did back at JI.. like watchers/trackers/bullet proofs, hated townie, masons, cults, post restrictions, lovers, peopel coming back from the dead.. etc..

Chan you are becoming so scummy to me at this point its ridiculous. I dont think your arguement aganist SMC holds any water at all . Hes given his reasons and I understand where hes coming from. I think the earlier posts he made were not the same as what were talking about now and your trying to use them aganist him. Maybe I missed something but I dont think I did.

Correct. But if he is separating them as 2 different things and denying one of those 2, there is obviously one left for him to have which he does not want to reveal or can't reveal.

So what he might be saying is his power is controlable.

The key word is EVERYONE.

If EVERYONE has a game specific power, then SMC must have a game specific power.

But SMC said that HE DID NOT have a game specific power, so how can he acknowledge the possibility of EVERYONE having a game specific power.

I double checked my PM. I don't have anything like I described. Oh well.

If others do have what I've described, more power to them, but I wouldn't know that would I?

Also, if I was scum, wouldn't I have a game specific power as well? And if so, why would I deny having it?

Okay, under yours and other's theories of 15 roled townies would all of them have to do night actions? If so ...

JVoR set up a game where he has to wait for 14 PMs (assuming a townie is lynched day 1) from the townies, then how long with Night 1 be? Three to four days while he waits for all these night actions? Heck, Night 1 could last a week!

You're being silly for no reason. It looks scummy.

Semantics? Okay, a game of "superheroes" and super ability is the same as a mafia game with power roles. I don't see it.

I dunno maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically (is that an actual word?), but to me there's roleless and roled. Doesn't matter if its a traditional power role or not if you can/have to do more than just vote to lynch you've got a role. That's just my opinion though.

In a game of superheroes vs supervillians which we all know JVOR has spent a long, LONG time putting together I don't think its that outrageous of a claim that all 20 players can do more than just vote to lynch. At the least I'd think some have some sort of post restrictions. Maybe there's a lame ass character like Daredevil who has to blindly (pun intended) jump from train to train. Or maybe the Silver Surfer can use the power cosmic to extend a deadline by a few hours. Nothing major, just something more than the usual "roleless townie. You win when the town outnumbers the scum".

I just think you're looking at this game too traditionally SMC. Especially considering everything JVOR has told us about the game is that its anything but.

I dunno maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically (is that an actual word?), but to me there's roleless and roled. Doesn't matter if its a traditional power role or not if you can/have to do more than just vote to lynch you've got a role. That's just my opinion though.

In a game of superheroes vs supervillians which we all know JVOR has spent a long, LONG time putting together I don't think its that outrageous of a claim that all 20 players can do more than just vote to lynch. At the least I'd think some have some sort of post restrictions. Maybe there's a lame ass character like Daredevil who has to blindly (pun intended) jump from train to train. Or maybe the Silver Surfer can use the power cosmic to extend a deadline by a few hours. Nothing major, just something more than the usual "roleless townie. You win when the town outnumbers the scum".

I just think you're looking at this game too traditionally SMC. Especially considering everything JVOR has told us about the game is that its anything but.

What I just bolded is what I described above, but I wouldn't consider any of them power roles. Those are certain abilities specific to this game. But I don't have any of that. That was my point.

But EY is claiming more than that, which I disagreed with.

Again, if thise game is more elaborate then fine. Cool game. But what I've said is accurate.

The key word is EVERYONE.

If EVERYONE has a game specific power, then SMC must have a game specific power.

But SMC said that HE DID NOT have a game specific power, so how can he acknowledge the possibility of EVERYONE having a game specific power.

Right he said he did not have a game specific power but im saying its possible he can have a role thats controlable but not revealable.

I think everyone could have a role or power but they are 2 diffeernt things and in this debate everything is getting twisted and confusing. Chan seems to be at the heart of this and it has my attention as do you and Arsis. Is it possible your making too much out of this for a reason to lynch someone ?

Right he said he did not have a game specific power but im saying its possible he can have a role thats controlable but not revealable.

I think everyone could have a role or power but they are 2 diffeernt things and in this debate everything is getting twisted and confusing. Chan seems to be at the heart of this and it has my attention as do you and Arsis. Is it possible your making too much out of this for a reason to lynch someone ?

You're missing the point completely... No sense in repeating it.

It can work just fine, and not be a nightmare. You could easily have each townie have a role that is a "part" of a power role, or a percentage on results. For example, in a recent game I ran (Doggin was in it, so he can elaborate), each player had an alignment, and then another alignment that would be provided when the Cop viewed them.

Ex: Player A is aligned to town, but when viewed flips mafia / Player B is aligned to town, and flips town when viewed / Player C is mafia, but flips town when viewed / etc.

In this instance, the Cop cannot totally trust their views. So, there was a role that aligned each player's "flips" with their actual alignment, and I showed that by glowing that player's name a different color. Players questioned it, and eventually the information came out that it took the combination of TWO ROLES to equal that of a regular Cop.

The above could be something that is in this game. Or they could simply have a percentage chance of working. 3 Cops, each with only a 50% chance at an accurate viewing would not be overpowered for the town - quite the opposite, actually.

My point is that there can easily be power roles all throughout the town, but just spread a little more thinly than normal.

What I just bolded is what I described above, but I wouldn't consider any of them power roles. Those are certain abilities specific to this game. But I don't have any of that. That was my point.

Again, if thise game is more elaborate then fine. Cool game. But what I've said is accurate.

This is a blatant manipulation in an effort to get yourself out of trouble.

I never claimed that everyone had something more powerful than what shutout is suggesting.

Gotcha. I personally don't see a difference between the 2 but clearly you do. I'll go back and reread the last page or 2 with a better understanding of where you're coming from...

Chan you are becoming so scummy to me at this point its ridiculous. I dont think your arguement aganist SMC holds any water at all . Hes given his reasons and I understand where hes coming from. I think the earlier posts he made were not the same as what were talking about now and your trying to use them aganist him. Maybe I missed something but I dont think I did.

I can't help the fact that you are penningbrained and don't understand the point that several people are making..

lets review..

First post.. He unequivcolly states he does not have a "game specific power" based on being 'suped up'

Explain to me how a game of supers would work if every single player had a game-specific power?

What is your game specific power, EY, based on being a 'suped up characters'?

I can tell you right now that I don't have one.

Post #2 (and this is new)

Here' he actually equates the term 'suped up' with power roles. Remember above he equated 'suped up' with game specific characters. So the semantics defense now crumbles, cause his own words equate the two of them..

But if everyone is "suped up", that means there are actually 15 power roles for the town and 5 scum. I can't see how that could work.

post #3. Here he gives props to JVOR IF he created a game where everyone has a game specific power. If he doesn't have a game specific power, how could "everyone" have one.

Props to JVoR if he gave everyone a game-specific power. I can't see how it would work out.

He statements are logically a direct contradiction of one another..

This is a blatant manipulation in an effort to get yourself out of trouble.

I never claimed that everyone had something more powerful than what shutout is suggesting.

Wait! You're saying that you're only claiming that everyone has abilities like (or analagous to) what Shutout suggested?

If so, guess what? I don't have that.

It can work just fine, and not be a nightmare. You could easily have each townie have a role that is a "part" of a power role, or a percentage on results. For example, in a recent game I ran (Doggin was in it, so he can elaborate), each player had an alignment, and then another alignment that would be provided when the Cop viewed them.

Ex: Player A is aligned to town, but when viewed flips mafia / Player B is aligned to town, and flips town when viewed / Player C is mafia, but flips town when viewed / etc.

In this instance, the Cop cannot totally trust their views. So, there was a role that aligned each player's "flips" with their actual alignment, and I showed that by glowing that player's name a different color. Players questioned it, and eventually the information came out that it took the combination of TWO ROLES to equal that of a regular Cop.

The above could be something that is in this game. Or they could simply have a percentage chance of working. 3 Cops, each with only a 50% chance at an accurate viewing would not be overpowered for the town - quite the opposite, actually.

My point is that there can easily be power roles all throughout the town, but just spread a little more thinly than normal.

Thanks, Verbal. But I've never seen anything like that and I've played my fair share of games.

Wait! You're saying that you're only claiming that everyone has abilities like (or analagous to) what Shutout suggested?

If so, guess what? I don't have that.

No. I'm saying that I believe everyone has something more than 'roleless townie', a power of some sort. But you already knew that.

Smash the posts are right here in black and white within hours of each other:

What is your game specific power, EY, based on being a 'suped up characters'?

I can tell you right now that I don't have one.

Props to JVoR if he gave everyone a game-specific power. I can't see how it would work out.

Don't you see the blatant contradiction in those 2 sentences? To me whether or not his character is enhanced is irrelevant... He's either a lying townie or scum. Which one is ok to you?

Archived